5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

5spds and autostarts alarms

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2001, 07:23 PM
RussMaxManiac

Wanted to let everyone know that recently the alarm shop rewired my alarm to only let the car start when its in N. Nissan's have a N-switch that senses when the car is in N or in gear. When its in gear it is 5 v, when its out its grounded. The way the alarm is hooked up, a 5V relay, is hooked into the tranny wires where the N switch is. Once its in gear, and the IGNITION is turned on by the alarm 5 v turns on, turns the relay on, the relay sends 12v to the alarm hood and trunk sensor wires (for safety these turn off the starting feature if open) and told the alarm it was basically unsafe to start the car! So it works!

Thanks to Al for the info on this, it did the job!

Old 01-03-2001, 05:36 AM

Russ that might be something new on the sentra b/c on my maxima and my 4th gen maxima, the netural switch is the button on the clutch, when U press the clutch it pushes the button in so it allows the car to start, now the way I had my auto start working on my 4th Gen was to bypass that switch so I no longer needed the clutch to start the car, but thats the unsafe way of doing it and thats why auto starts are not legal for 5spd cars. Do a test, put your car in Neutral and then without pressing the clutch try to start it and see if it starts b/c mine doesn't, only when the clutch is pressed.
Old 01-03-2001, 05:44 AM
RussMaxManiac

Originally posted by PIONEER
Russ that might be something new on the sentra b/c on my maxima and my 4th gen maxima, the netural switch is the button on the clutch, when U press the clutch it pushes the button in so it allows the car to start, now the way I had my auto start working on my 4th Gen was to bypass that switch so I no longer needed the clutch to start the car, but thats the unsafe way of doing it and thats why auto starts are not legal for 5spd cars. Do a test, put your car in Neutral and then without pressing the clutch try to start it and see if it starts b/c mine doesn't, only when the clutch is pressed.
No, all Nissan's have a N switch and have the clutch switch as well. My alarm bypasses the CLUTCH switch so it can start but it also has to look at the N switch to make sure its safe to start in a 5spd.

Old 01-03-2001, 06:06 AM

I don't know about that russ, just try what I said, put your car in neutral and start it without a clutch and see what happins, Now your car may start b/c your alarm is wired to bypass the clutch but for U other 5spd guys out there try this and post your results here. My car doesn't start in neutral. only when the clutch is pressed it starts.
Old 01-03-2001, 06:14 AM
RussMaxManiac

Originally posted by PIONEER
I don't know about that russ, just try what I said, put your car in neutral and start it without a clutch and see what happins, Now your car may start b/c your alarm is wired to bypass the clutch but for U other 5spd guys out there try this and post your results here. My car doesn't start in neutral. only when the clutch is pressed it starts.
LOL, dude what do you not understand? My car is the same as the MAXIMA. It has the same components on the tranny for sensors. My car won't start without the clutch depressed. All NISSAN's are like that. The N switch is a COMPLETELY different SENSOR.

All NISSAN's have a NEUTRAL switch. Look in your service manual if you don't believe me.

Old 01-03-2001, 06:30 AM

LOL, dude what do you not understand? My car is the same as the MAXIMA. It has the same components on the tranny for sensors. My car won't start without the clutch depressed. All NISSAN's are like that. The N switch is a COMPLETELY different SENSOR.

All NISSAN's have a NEUTRAL switch. Look in your service manual if you don't believe me.
Tell me something, if there's a N switch in the tranny then why U need another one at the clutch? haveing a auto start on my 4th Gen 5spd I know the hell I went through to get that thing going.
Old 01-03-2001, 06:41 AM

russ,
why are you flaming your old sentra?
you spent so much money on it
leave that thing alone b4 i take it from you