5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

HID theft question

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2002, 06:13 AM
JJL

HID theft question

After watching that video on how the HID theft was performed.
I wonder if anyone has put in a separate horn or siren ? Installed the horn or siren in a separate location and connect the factory alarm wires to it .This way it not so easy to cut the horn wires and disable the alarm

If anyone has done this please post a how too

thank you

How they stole them

http://www.news12.com/NewCDA/article...51499,00.html#
Old 12-28-2002, 02:19 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: HID theft question

Originally posted by JJL
After watching that video on how the HID theft was performed.
I wonder if anyone has put in a separate horn or siren ? Installed the horn or siren in a separate location and connect the factory alarm wires to it .This way it not so easy to cut the horn wires and disable the alarm

If anyone has done this please post a how too

thank you

How they stole them

http://www.news12.com/NewCDA/article...51499,00.html#
This is fairly simple, just take the horn that is located on the left of the grille which is flat on the frame of the car near the winshield washer tank and move it to a farther location. Extend the wires.

And do the same for the horn that is in the grille. Move these two horns and they wont be able to cut them easily.

Dixit
Old 12-28-2002, 03:58 PM

There is still another way to disable the alarm.

My grill and horn were saved this morning but the door handle was not. There is an obvious security flaw in Nissan's design.

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?threadid=177131
Old 12-28-2002, 04:36 PM
JJL

Re: There is still another way to disable the alarm.

Originally posted by Lost My HID
My grill and horn were saved this morning but the door handle was not. There is an obvious security flaw in Nissan's design.

http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.php?threadid=177131
Thanks for Info
sorry about your car.
I see that I need an alarm
Old 12-28-2002, 11:53 PM

In addition to my anti-theft bolts, I have an aftermarket alarm and had supplementary pin switches installed at each front corner of the hood : if the hood is lifted a little bit, the alarm will blare. Maybe in some cases that will limit the damage.

I was also thinking : could the plastic tabs be reinforced with fiberglass, resin, etc ? Or maybe have a metallic plate machined to overlap the tabs and the top of the housing? Could it be an idea for our Maxima parts' retailers (Cattman, for example)?
Old 01-20-2003, 11:36 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by dracip
In addition to my anti-theft bolts, I have an aftermarket alarm and had supplementary pin switches installed at each front corner of the hood : if the hood is lifted a little bit, the alarm will blare. Maybe in some cases that will limit the damage.

I was also thinking : could the plastic tabs be reinforced with fiberglass, resin, etc ? Or maybe have a metallic plate machined to overlap the tabs and the top of the housing? Could it be an idea for our Maxima parts' retailers (Cattman, for example)?

I have the Viper 550 ESP alarm system. Do you think it can be set to sound the siren when someone tries to open my hood?

~limsandy
Old 01-20-2003, 11:56 PM

Originally posted by limsandy

I have the Viper 550 ESP alarm system. Do you think it can be set to sound the siren when someone tries to open my hood?

~limsandy
Yes, it should already do this! By default, any doors, trunk or hood opening should trigger it. I would suggest, however, that you have the installer use a separate switch rather than the one nissan uses. I find that it is too close to the front and could potentially be bypassed with a screwdriver before the open the hood fully. Just a thought.
Old 01-21-2003, 12:04 AM

I just got done viewing the news video segment regarding 2002-2003 HID headlight theft. Man,I feel sorry for her as well as to members here on the Org. that have had this happen to them. I never knew it was that easy for thieves. About $3,000 for repairs??? Someone needs to develop some type of security for our headlights. The HID theft needs to STOP. And to all you theives who are probally out here checking out posts here on the Org. All I gots to say is "F U!!!" You'll get yours in the long run. on THIEVES.