5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Lost My HIDs today. Security flaw in Maxima's alarm system. Read.

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2002, 02:53 PM

Originally posted by TimW
one option
http://www.streetbeatcustoms.com/gtsgt0240.html

hide them!
is this an opaque sheild that we hope they don't know how to take off?
Old 12-30-2002, 06:54 PM

Well, I just went to pick up my new Maxima SE and the car is very nice, but there were two problems.

1. They never installed the hood lock (which, i believe, is the same one from courtesy).

2. I literally punched the quarter panel on the car with the side of my fist (no damage to the car) and the alarm didn't go off. So they obviously have to increase the sensitivity of the shock sensor.

So my wife and i drove the car to the local mall (Roosevelt Field) and got some Chinese food. I figured hell, i want to drive the car once at least. Then we took it back to the dealer. they'll install the hood lock and improve the sensitivity of the alarm and I'll pick it up again tomorrow.

I have a question about the alarm and I'm hoping one of you folks can answer it. i spoke with the guys at an alarm installation place I've dealt with in the past on other vehicles and they said that they could install a sensor on each headlight for about $85-$95 each. I'm going to bring the car there tomorrow and see what they can do. I'd also like to see if they could put a proximity sensor on the car. My goal is deterrence (sp?). If i can keep the bloodsucking bastards away from the car they won't be able to steal the lights. So here's my question:

Can various sensors be added to an existing alarm or do they need to be wired separately? I'm also going to ask about battery backups.

I'm going to check on the garage availablity next week, but if I can't get one them I'm almost definitely going to add to the alarm system.

Dan
Old 12-30-2002, 07:04 PM
Banned

Originally posted by dcook22
Well, I just went to pick up my new Maxima SE and the car is very nice, but there were two problems.

1. They never installed the hood lock (which, i believe, is the same one from courtesy).

2. I literally punched the quarter panel on the car with the side of my fist (no damage to the car) and the alarm didn't go off. So they obviously have to increase the sensitivity of the shock sensor.

So my wife and i drove the car to the local mall (Roosevelt Field) and got some Chinese food. I figured hell, i want to drive the car once at least. Then we took it back to the dealer. they'll install the hood lock and improve the sensitivity of the alarm and I'll pick it up again tomorrow.

I have a question about the alarm and I'm hoping one of you folks can answer it. i spoke with the guys at an alarm installation place I've dealt with in the past on other vehicles and they said that they could install a sensor on each headlight for about $85-$95 each. I'm going to bring the car there tomorrow and see what they can do. I'd also like to see if they could put a proximity sensor on the car. My goal is deterrence (sp?). If i can keep the bloodsucking bastards away from the car they won't be able to steal the lights. So here's my question:

Can various sensors be added to an existing alarm or do they need to be wired separately? I'm also going to ask about battery backups.

I'm going to check on the garage availablity next week, but if I can't get one them I'm almost definitely going to add to the alarm system.

Dan
Shock and prox sensors can be added on to an already-existing alarm. Hmmmm, sensor for each light sounds interesting...Let us know what they tell you about it.
Old 12-31-2002, 08:18 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: My small revenge...

Originally posted by Lost My HID
I forgot to mention. If you are asking yourselves about the picture of the bike in pieces, guess whose bike that was :=)
the bike was probably stolen also ... So, you broke someone elses bike, nice ...j/k, but the bike was a good release ...
Old 12-31-2002, 08:46 AM

The cable in the picture from the lock is how most of the factory arlarms operate. That plastic piece at the end of the cable connects to the lock inside and disarms the alarm when the key is turned. A lot of people don't know that. This is how you Arm and Disarm factory Alarms if you don't have the remote, or have lost your remote. Just turn the key, that plastic **** turns with the Key Disarming the Alarm, or Arming when you lock the door with the key.

Stealing HIDs is a new trend people started. You have to be sick to steal someone's headlights. I mean a Radio, speakers you can live without if they got stolen, But The headlights, Man your car is pretty much disabled at night.

The people who stole this car, seems like they knew what they were doing. This doesn't look like some thug off the street with a crowbar. These guys were pretty clean, they Popped the handle, and Disarmed the Alarm.

Sorry for All the folks who have lost their lights. How much do they cost now a days??? did Nissan lower the price of the HID b/c they are stolen soo much now?
Old 12-31-2002, 08:50 AM
Banned

Originally posted by PIONEER
Sorry for All the folks who have lost their lights. How much do they cost now a days??? did Nissan lower the price of the HID b/c they are stolen soo much now?
Nope, no lowering of the price. From what I've read, the repair can be anywhere from 1500-3000 depending on how much surrounding damage they do. Granted insurance will cover it, but there's still the deductible ($500 for most people I'd assume).

I don't think Nissan minds too much, given they make money off of selling replacement HID parts and the labor--it's a sick world though!

Perhaps our lights will be safer in 2003!

HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYONE!!!
Old 12-31-2002, 08:55 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Do you think a hood lock would help ?

Pioneer,

You think a hood lock would help to prevent HID thefts? Do they need to pop the hood to get at the HIDS? I know some people were saying that if they pry them out, they'd be breaking the plastic tabs, which they might care much about if all they're selling is the bulb/ballast.

This is the hood lock on my car:

IMG]http://images.cardomain.com/installs/280000-280999/280291_24_full.jpg[/IMG]

More pics here: http://www.cardomain.com/member_page...=280291&page=4

Originally posted by PIONEER
The cable in the picture from the lock is how most of the factory arlarms operate. That plastic piece at the end of the cable connects to the lock inside and disarms the alarm when the key is turned. A lot of people don't know that. This is how you Arm and Disarm factory Alarms if you don't have the remote, or have lost your remote. Just turn the key, that plastic **** turns with the Key Disarming the Alarm, or Arming when you lock the door with the key.

Stealing HIDs is a new trend people started. You have to be sick to steal someone's headlights. I mean a Radio, speakers you can live without if they got stolen, But The headlights, Man your car is pretty much disabled at night.

The people who stole this car, seems like they knew what they were doing. This doesn't look like some thug off the street with a crowbar. These guys were pretty clean, they Popped the handle, and Disarmed the Alarm.

Old 12-31-2002, 09:01 AM
Banned

Re: Do you think a hood lock would help ?

Originally posted by packetattack
Pioneer,

You think a hood lock would help to prevent HID thefts? Do they need to pop the hood to get at the HIDS? I know some people were saying that if they pry them out, they'd be breaking the plastic tabs, which they might care much about if all they're selling is the bulb/ballast.
That's correct--they don't care much about the plastic tabs or the general assembly. They're not selling these lights to other Maximas, but rather just selling off the bulbs/ballasts (as you mention). In other words, the hood lock may deter some of these punks, but the ones who want the headlights no matter what won't think twice about putting a crowbar to use (unfortunately).

Thinking about it, I don't know what's worse--having them just take the headlights with minimal surrounding damage, or minimizing your chance of theft a little (via hood lock), but the one time they strike you'll get massive body damage because of the crowbar, or whatever else they decide to use.
Old 12-31-2002, 02:49 PM

Re: My small revenge...

Originally posted by optimus1

the bike was probably stolen also ... So, you broke someone elses bike, nice ...j/k, but the bike was a good release ...
Probably. I doubt this type of people has ever paid for anything with their hard-earned money. Nonetheless, it felt very good.
Old 12-31-2002, 02:58 PM

Originally posted by vito1281

Nope, no lowering of the price. From what I've read, the repair can be anywhere from 1500-3000 depending on how much surrounding damage they do. Granted insurance will cover it, but there's still the deductible ($500 for most people I'd assume).

I don't think Nissan minds too much, given they make money off of selling replacement HID parts and the labor--it's a sick world though!

Perhaps our lights will be safer in 2003!

HAPPY NEW YEAR EVERYONE!!!
I just came back from a Nissan dealership where I took the car to get an estimate. I don't have it yet but the manager told me to expect to pay $780/per assembly, $500+ for the entire wire harness (he refuses to solder or wire to the new unit to cut wires), 5hrs + to add the new wire harness. He ball-parked it close to $4K. He also said that I needed to paint the bumper which got a little scratch when they removed it.

I asked him about putting in the 20th AE lights instead and he refused as well. He said that it would void the warranty of the car. I also tried to having him disconnect that wire that goes to the door handle so they couldn't de-activate the alarm. His answer was the same. He finished by saying that he will only work on the car if he restores it to its original condition. I guess I will have to leave with the feeling that I'll get hit again.

I'm working on getting the car alarm with the pager LCD that someone recommended here. It is from Directed Electronics, the Clifford brand, if I recall correctly. Does anyone have any more positive or negative comments to add?
Old 12-31-2002, 03:50 PM

Originally posted by Lost My HID

I just came back from a Nissan dealership where I took the car to get an estimate. I don't have it yet but the manager told me to expect to pay $780/per assembly, $500+ for the entire wire harness (he refuses to solder or wire to the new unit to cut wires), 5hrs + to add the new wire harness. He ball-parked it close to $4K. He also said that I needed to paint the bumper which got a little scratch when they removed it.

I asked him about putting in the 20th AE lights instead and he refused as well. He said that it would void the warranty of the car. I also tried to having him disconnect that wire that goes to the door handle so they couldn't de-activate the alarm. His answer was the same. He finished by saying that he will only work on the car if he restores it to its original condition. I guess I will have to leave with the feeling that I'll get hit again.

I'm working on getting the car alarm with the pager LCD that someone recommended here. It is from Directed Electronics, the Clifford brand, if I recall correctly. Does anyone have any more positive or negative comments to add?

How the heck is the warranty going to be void just by installing 20th AE lights. Is he talking about the whole car or just the lights. It just doesn't make any sense to me. Why don't you talk to a different dealer? It's your car right? Don't let the dealer dictaminate what kind of lights you want installed. I'm sure that owners of '02-'03 that have been hit by thieves and decided to switch to regular '00-'01 lights still retained the basic warranty of their cars. I'm also considering swapping my lights on my '03 to 20th AE lights and I'm not worry about voiding the warranty at all.
Old 12-31-2002, 03:53 PM
Da Roller Coaster!

If any of you are apprehensive with your HID's and care to make a trade or sell them then hit me back at foodmanry@hotmail.com. I have a 2k GLE with the regular lights. Just a shot at getting me some HID's. I would rather not trade because I will put a lot of effort into securing the HID's as much as I can so I will need the original lights for some time.

Thanks,

Ryan

And I feel for you all who have had your HID's stolen and/or your car messed with. One of the worst feelings in the world, and I can't believe that people don't respect other peoples' cars. Damn society.
Old 12-31-2002, 05:05 PM
The silent but deadly Moderator

by all means, have them restore your car to the original state, thats all Nissan can do. You can do the lights yourself. A stereo shop can deactivate that door switch.

if you go in there with a fried SECU because they shorted something out when stealing your lights, you think Nissan will warranty that? No.. what are your choices? The ONLY thing they can void the warranty on would be the harness... keep in mind that would be butchered by thieves anyway.
Old 12-31-2002, 07:50 PM

I'm trying to figure out what the exact motive of stealing the HIDs. I mean is the undergroung demand that high! Who is actually buying the stolen parts??? I blame the underground import scene. Wait a minute, that's us!

I just got back from Queens. My car never left my site! Even at my ex's apartment. That b!+c# got me puttin' my car in jeopardy and she didn't even give none.

Just venting, forget the second paragraph.
Old 12-31-2002, 10:17 PM

Originally posted by TimW
by all means, have them restore your car to the original state, thats all Nissan can do. You can do the lights yourself. A stereo shop can deactivate that door switch.

if you go in there with a fried SECU because they shorted something out when stealing your lights, you think Nissan will warranty that? No.. what are your choices? The ONLY thing they can void the warranty on would be the harness... keep in mind that would be butchered by thieves anyway.
This is exactly what i'm going to do. When I get the new alarm put in I'm going to ask the alarm place to disable the door switch. I'm also going to see if they can disable the window down feature with the key. In Miami i can understand venting your car before you get in, but in NYC it never gets all that hot. And even if it does, Id rather sweat for 10 minutes than lose my car or my lights.

Dan
Old 02-13-2003, 11:58 AM

Originally posted by dcook22

This is exactly what i'm going to do. When I get the new alarm put in I'm going to ask the alarm place to disable the door switch. I'm also going to see if they can disable the window down feature with the key. In Miami i can understand venting your car before you get in, but in NYC it never gets all that hot. And even if it does, Id rather sweat for 10 minutes than lose my car or my lights.

Dan
i just saw hids 4 sale on ebay,

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...category=33710