5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

can my max beat out....

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2003, 07:32 AM

can my max beat out....

i want to see which one of my friends i can take in a race..and which ones can take me..

i have: 2003 maxima auto (stock)
they have: 2002 rsx type s (stock)
2001 integra type-R (stock)
2003 TL type s (stock)

can a maxima beat out any of these?

another q...can someone give me some advice as to which mods i should start with..i just bought my car like 2 weeks ago...
Old 01-02-2003, 07:36 AM
jjs

Re: can my max beat out....

Originally posted by skandalouz
i want to see which one of my friends i can take in a race..and which ones can take me..

2003 TL type s (stock)

another q...can someone give me some advice as to which mods i should start with..i just bought my car like 2 weeks ago...
1. just race and find out...just make sure it is at a track

2. this has been gone over ALOT...SEARCH can be your friend.
Old 01-02-2003, 07:37 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

you can only beat the teg, the other 2 will beat you if they are equal to your skills or better
the tls is 0-60 6.2
rsx-s 6.4

no flames please, i have a cl-s and a max
Old 01-02-2003, 08:14 AM

Originally posted by bsk181
you can only beat the teg, the other 2 will beat you if they are equal to your skills or better
the tls is 0-60 6.2
rsx-s 6.4

here we go....

nothing good has ever come out of an Acura v. Max thread, but i must chime in. the TL-S will be really close, but you should edge him out. he has a better transmission, but you have the weight advantage. his power advantage occurs only at the engine's peak. anywhere else on the power band, and you're putting out more HP and especially more TQ. essentially though, since he has 5hp on you, and you have an underrated 14 ft/lb torque advantage (according to dyno charts, it's probably closer to a 30 ft/lb advantage for you), all other htings being equal, you should fare a slightly better chance. (advantage to the max for power to weight ratio).

as for the RSX-S...I have a 02 GLE, and my neighbor has an RSX-S, slightly modded (he really only has an exhaust), and i've beat him by a couple of car lengths every time. you should take him - he says that RSX-S's have serious trouble breaking 15 in stock form.
Old 01-02-2003, 10:36 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by bsk181
the tls is 0-60 6.2
rsx-s 6.4

skills? what skills? they're both auto!! and how much skill does it take to run 1/4mile(i'm assuming that's what he meant by racing), with a automagic cars??
Old 01-03-2003, 07:17 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Any autos first two mods should be a VB upgrade, and a Protorque torque converter.

They will run you about $1200 total parts and labor; but you will shift quiker than a manual, and have greatly increased low end torque. Many have noted a .5-1 second 1/4 mile time reduction, due to these mods alone.

I personally have been so impressed by the difference my Protorque makes, I sent my VB off to be modded yesterday.
Old 01-03-2003, 08:50 AM

Originally posted by irvine78

skills? what skills? they're both auto!! and how much skill does it take to run 1/4mile(i'm assuming that's what he meant by racing), with a automagic cars??
skillz to know your car well enough to not peel out excessively while still maintaining a decent 60ft time... skillz enuff to avoid excessive scary wheel hop.. skillz enuf to KNOW to use tree shifting to squeeze out a couple hundred more rpm in each gear (granted, not good for tranny).. skillz to react quicker than everyone else racing...skillz to manage brake-torquing to help you, not hurt you... skillz to appreciate your cars potential gearing that may allow you to possibly WIN a race you're losing by fractions of a carlength (so long as you're driving safe and not crazy deadly speeds).

Granted a lot of this varies w/ road conditions, weather.. etc... you know all this
Old 01-03-2003, 09:18 AM
vqman

Originally posted by PeterUbers

skillz to know your car well enough to not peel out excessively while still maintaining a decent 60ft time... skillz enuff to avoid excessive scary wheel hop.. skillz enuf to KNOW to use tree shifting to squeeze out a couple hundred more rpm in each gear (granted, not good for tranny).. skillz to react quicker than everyone else racing...skillz to manage brake-torquing to help you, not hurt you... skillz to appreciate your cars potential gearing that may allow you to possibly WIN a race you're losing by fractions of a carlength (so long as you're driving safe and not crazy deadly speeds).

Granted a lot of this varies w/ road conditions, weather.. etc... you know all this
hate to do it, but I have to agree with peter, even an autotragic requires skills...

-vq

Old 01-03-2003, 09:28 AM

Originally posted by PeterUbers

Well said my friend...well said.
Old 01-03-2003, 10:02 AM

Originally posted by irvine78

Tell that to my friend who did a 330ft burnout down the drag strip in my previous 97 AUTO Supra TT 15th Ann. Edition. He ran mids 13's with it and I was pulling 11.9's. BPU+ with fully built Trans.
Old 01-03-2003, 10:59 AM

2003 TL type s (stock)

I think you will beat those cars you mentioned. I raced my friend's TL-S on the highway, where his mighty VTEC should really shine, and I put more than 6 cars on him. Wasn't even close. I do have 6-speed though, but I think you should still beat TL-S and those other cars too. Torque owns Acuras
Old 01-03-2003, 01:17 PM
Dev

Originally posted by Young04

he says that RSX-S's have serious trouble breaking 15 in stock form.
if he's not breaking 15's he's not that great of a driver or road conditions were against him...

rsx-s's have ran 14.7's bone stock, so really they shouldn't have any trouble breaking 15's.
Old 01-03-2003, 01:32 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

From what I understand alot of people are having trouble getting any decent traction with the RSX-S. Also there was another problem with gear spacing or something, can't really remember, friend has one and was telling me all about it.
Old 01-04-2003, 12:08 PM

Originally posted by pjonkheer

Well said my friend...well said.
PJ Boy!!!!