5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Motortrend-Fastest FWD production car ever tested

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2003, 12:17 PM

Motortrend-Fastest FWD production car ever tested

Check it out...Sorry not the Maxima...But it's little brother the Altima Feb 2002 Issue;

Page 91...I am not over here trolling causing trouble...Just bringing info for the mags I read...Of course they tore up the fit and finish and the materials

don't hate me cause I'm fast
Old 01-03-2003, 12:21 PM
jjs

Re: Motortrend-Fastest FWD production car ever tested

Originally posted by wild *****

We don't 'cuz even IF true, we don't have to look at that interior every day.
Old 01-03-2003, 12:28 PM

Re: Motortrend-Fastest FWD produtested

Check it out...Sorry not the Maxima...But it's little brother the Altima Feb 2002 Issue;

Page 91...I am not over here trolling causing trouble...Just bringing info for the mags I read...Of course they tore up the fit and finish and the materials

Yeah, I raced one V6 Altima a while back and beat him pretty easily. I think he was Auto but still wasn't even close. 5-speed would be a good race I think.

When I test drove Altima V6 5-speed, I felt like it had much more torque steer compared to my car.
Old 01-03-2003, 12:37 PM

Ditto!

I drive a 2k2 auto SE Max and my peeps drive a 2k2 Altima Auto v6. There's a noticeable torque stear difference between the two. I will admit that the Altima feels a bit more racy when you step on the gas also... Maybe it's just me? Anyone else?
Old 01-03-2003, 12:42 PM
I am Roid Rage

Fastest FWD my ****!

Wouldn’t the fastest stock FWD be that new Neon SRT-4 and not the Nissan Altima? Or has Motortrend not tested that one yet?
Old 01-03-2003, 12:44 PM

Saw a race on vqpower.com between a 2k2 6spd Max and a 2k2 3.5 5spd Alt. Actually I don't know if it was a 3.5 Alt for sure.

Max won no contest.

http://www.vqpower.com/v2/modules.ph...op=getit&lid=1

There's some other good stuff on that site too.
Old 01-03-2003, 01:44 PM

If you guys get a chance read the article...It really tears a new ******* in Nissan Altima quality....BAD! Really BAD

jjs--Kiss my *** It is so true what you said

I still love the car Oh well...G35 is Next
Old 01-03-2003, 01:46 PM
vqman

the peice of crap Neon is a faster FWD car, I guess MT hasn't tested it yet.

-vq

Old 01-03-2003, 02:09 PM

Moter Trend Article - "fit and finish"

I have to chuckle when I see/hear about the auto press or anyone who criticizes the "fit and finish" of the Maxima. Apparently, these folks have a different definition.

Does anyone remember the American cars of the 1970s, especially GM? It's a wonder those things held together, they were of such poor quality. Few body panels matched up, rattles and squeaks of plastic rubbing togehter were the norm. You would buy a new car, and bring it back in 2 weeks with a list of 25 or 30 defects that had to be fixed.

Look a the max - all seems match perfectly, inside and out. The materials are tasteful if not extravegant. No rattles. So they don't have real wood on the dashboard -who cares? And, they last without mechanical failures.
Old 01-03-2003, 02:14 PM

WE don't have to look at the exterior everyday. Even maxima ppl agree that the 5th gen is the ugliest max ever
Old 01-03-2003, 02:25 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by Linh
WE don't have to look at the exterior everyday. Even maxima ppl agree that the 5th gen is the ugliest max ever
You're nutz, the 5th gen is the best looking Maxima out there. Compared to the old boxy 3rd gens and the plain 4th gens (interior is the ugliest), the 5th gen is a work of art.

I'll agree the rear needs some work, especially the taillights, but everything else looks great.

And we're talking stock here. With body kits, the 4th gen looks much nicer. The interior still looks horrible.
Old 01-03-2003, 02:49 PM

Originally posted by 2002Maxxxima
Saw a race on vqpower.com between a 2k2 6spd Max and a 2k2 3.5 5spd Alt. Actually I don't know if it was a 3.5 Alt for sure.

Max won no contest.

the altima must have been a 3.5, because he wouldnt have been so surprised of it was a 4 cylinder, and you know its manual because the passenger asks if he missed a gear.. i personally dont think i would lose to a 5 speed 3.5 altima, but i havent ran one yet
Old 01-03-2003, 02:51 PM

Not to mention, the fastest It's only somewhat homely from the rearend. However, that's the view many Altima V6 owners will be subjected to.

Anyhow, the Alt 3.5SEs I've seen at the track were automatics that were only able to run upper 15s; When my 2K2 Max had about 800miles on the odo, I was able to run a 15 flat with a street launch and auto shifting.

Peace.
Old 01-03-2003, 03:00 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Even if that were the case...it is still better looking than the Altima...inside and out. The only questionable point on the Maxima is the tail end...but just about every Nissan car out right now has a funky back end. The G35 Sedan is a big victim of Nissan back-end mania and the Altima got one of the worst ones as well.
Old 01-03-2003, 03:00 PM

Originally posted by Tanman

You're nutz, the 5th gen is the best looking Maxima out there. Compared to the old boxy 3rd gens and the plain 4th gens (interior is the ugliest), the 5th gen is a work of art.

I'll agree the rear needs some work, especially the taillights, but everything else looks great.

And we're talking stock here. With body kits, the 4th gen looks much nicer. The interior still looks horrible.
I agree completely, 5th gens look nicer til a body kit, then 4th gen no doubt.
Old 01-03-2003, 03:32 PM

Max won no contest.

Touche.. but put the 6-spd into the Altima.. and now do you have a closer race .. ?
Old 01-03-2003, 04:00 PM
vqman

Re: Moter Trend Article - "fit and finish"

Originally posted by C430
I have to chuckle when I see/hear about the auto press or anyone who criticizes the "fit and finish" of the Maxima. Apparently, these folks have a different definition.

Does anyone remember the American cars of the 1970s, especially GM? It's a wonder those things held together, they were of such poor quality. Few body panels matched up, rattles and squeaks of plastic rubbing togehter were the norm. You would buy a new car, and bring it back in 2 weeks with a list of 25 or 30 defects that had to be fixed.

Look a the max - all seems match perfectly, inside and out. The materials are tasteful if not extravegant. No rattles. So they don't have real wood on the dashboard -who cares? And, they last without mechanical failures.
true, true...

but us youngins are comparing the Maxima to Lexus, and Mercedes...even Toyota is better...in regards to fit and finish....

but Toyota don't offer a 6speed in the Camry with 240+HP!

-vq

Old 01-03-2003, 04:21 PM

Originally posted by Y2KSESteve

I agree completely, 5th gens look nicer til a body kit, then 4th gen no doubt.
You misunderstood me, the 4th gens with body-kit look better than stock 4th gens, but they still don't look as nice as the 5th gen .
Old 01-03-2003, 04:51 PM

"Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder" You all know that so stop debating which one is better looking!
Personally, I like the "unique" styling of the 5th gen Maxima. Peace
Old 01-03-2003, 04:51 PM

This was not intended to be a which is better, faster, ugly...whatever...Just showin wat the VQ can do...Looks are personal..you like what you like...Quality is not...Altima lacks quality!

I liked the fresh look of the Altima...That was as far as it went...I'm not going to Marry the car
Old 01-03-2003, 05:50 PM

Re: Re: Moter Trend Article - "fit and finish"

Originally posted by VQMAN

but Toyota don't offer a 6speed in the Camry with 240+HP!

-vq

So long as Camrys are purchased by folks in the geriatric crew (aka Old Folks), we'll never see Camrys packing anything North of 200hp.

Peace.
Old 01-03-2003, 06:21 PM

C'mon now I see more grandpas and grandmas driving 4th gens,it looks like it belongs to that age group.The 5th gen Max's are the best to date,with a very aggressive looking front end.I might add.Maybe Nissan should change the name of the 6th gen.I would be ashamed to put "MAXIMA" on that ugly piece of s***.
Old 01-03-2003, 08:14 PM

Re: Re: Motortrend-Fastest FWD production car ever tested

Originally posted by jjs

Old 01-03-2003, 11:28 PM

5th gens are the most classy and luxurious. they look better than the 4th gens. however everyone thinks my max is an altima. and i hate having to yell at them everytime.
Old 01-03-2003, 11:43 PM

first you buy an ugly car and now you're out ~15HP, somehow you guys are cursed.
Old 01-04-2003, 06:07 AM

first you buy an ugly car and now you're out ~15HP, somehow you guys are cursed.
LOL---I am not really laughing Well maybe a little...good one Linh
Old 01-04-2003, 07:05 AM
vqman

This was not intended to be a which is better, faster, ugly...whatever...Just showin wat the VQ can do...Looks are personal..you like what you like...Quality is not...Altima lacks quality!

I liked the fresh look of the Altima...That was as far as it went...I'm not going to Marry the car
I don't think Motor Trend has tested a2k2 or 2k3 Maxima yet...I think only Car and Driver has tested the 2k3 Maxima w/6speed...

could be wrong tho..

-vq

Old 01-04-2003, 08:48 AM

I have to give my 2c worth. Until the 5th gen makeover in 02, I thought the 3rd gen was best and still am partial to its design, but the 4th gen lost me, much like I guess this 6th gen will. I had no interest in that 4th as it appeared to struggle with an identity crisis..."should I look sporty or like a luxo cruiser". I'm glad that when it was time to buy, the 5th gen was out. I think in years to come the 02's and 03's will be very much sought after, cause these are years when the 5th gen finally came together. I had an 01 but didn't like the appearance of the grill from a distance...looked like an open hole. The 02 solved that with dramatic aggressive styling changes on the front-end. You cannot dispute that this car looks very aggressive and sytlish at the same time! I've always liked the rear of the SE, hated the all red light fixtures on the GXE and GLE in the 00 to 01 models. And have come to appreciate the chromey 02's and 03's but prefer the smoked out look...oh well, can't have everything.

Mark my words, as soon as the 6th gen hits the streets, our 5th gens will be much sought after. I remember searching for my 3rd generation I had until I got the 01 Max. I didn't even consider a 4th and it wasn't a matter of affordability...it was all about style and function.

Please don't construe this as bashing the 4th gen, I'm not. It is a Maxima and I love all max's. All I'm saying is stylistically, it was not "the best" Nissan could offer. I think they realized that and put it back on the path of the 4DSC when the 5th came out. Ok, I'm rambling, but feeling like some 4th gens are going to send me hate mail(grin). But come on, to suggest the 5th gen is ugly? Go have your eyes checked, please...

srm
Old 01-04-2003, 09:21 AM
vqman

Originally posted by Maxmann
I have to give my 2c worth. Until the 5th gen makeover in 02, I thought the 3rd gen was best and still am partial to its design, but the 4th gen lost me, much like I guess this 6th gen will. I had no interest in that 4th as it appeared to struggle with an identity crisis..."should I look sporty or like a luxo cruiser". I'm glad that when it was time to buy, the 5th gen was out. I think in years to come the 02's and 03's will be very much sought after, cause these are years when the 5th gen finally came together. I had an 01 but didn't like the appearance of the grill from a distance...looked like an open hole. The 02 solved that with dramatic aggressive styling changes on the front-end. You cannot dispute that this car looks very aggressive and sytlish at the same time! I've always liked the rear of the SE, hated the all red light fixtures on the GXE and GLE in the 00 to 01 models. And have come to appreciate the chromey 02's and 03's but prefer the smoked out look...oh well, can't have everything.

Mark my words, as soon as the 6th gen hits the streets, our 5th gens will be much sought after. I remember searching for my 3rd generation I had until I got the 01 Max. I didn't even consider a 4th and it wasn't a matter of affordability...it was all about style and function.

Please don't construe this as bashing the 4th gen, I'm not. It is a Maxima and I love all max's. All I'm saying is stylistically, it was not "the best" Nissan could offer. I think they realized that and put it back on the path of the 4DSC when the 5th came out. Ok, I'm rambling, but feeling like some 4th gens are going to send me hate mail(grin). But come on, to suggest the 5th gen is ugly? Go have your eyes checked, please...

srm
I have a black 2k3, I still think the rear end leaves something to be desired...

but it's front end is one of the best i've seen from Nissan in a while... WAY better in my opinion than the Altima's front end. But I guess that's why it's the flagship.

-vq

Old 01-04-2003, 09:42 AM

what about the 6 speed CLS? what did motortrend get out of that?
Old 01-04-2003, 09:55 AM

Originally posted by costcowholesale
You mean the car they said had longer legs?

I can see the max got no love here as usual.. Pure politics
Old 01-04-2003, 09:58 AM
vqman

Originally posted by costcowholesale
maybe Motor Trend hasn't tested the CL-S yet either...

FWD cars faster than Altima 3.5SE 5-speed...(in theory)

Neon SRT-4
CL-S 6-speed
Maxima 6-speed

no?

can't think of anymore off the top of me head.

Old 01-04-2003, 10:15 AM

I thought that the SRT-4 was awd.
Old 01-04-2003, 10:52 AM
vqman

Originally posted by 00MAXIST
I thought that the SRT-4 was awd.

naw, everyone compares it to the WRX...because it's fast, but it's a FWD car...

Dodge Neon Specs....all models

no, I have no life...work is slow..

-vq

Old 01-04-2003, 11:03 AM

what makes u think that? oh...'fast' i mean
Old 01-04-2003, 11:33 AM

Max won no contest.

Old 01-04-2003, 11:35 AM

Originally posted by Max03SE
C'mon now I see more grandpas and grandmas driving 4th gens,it looks like it belongs to that age group.The 5th gen Max's are the best to date,with a very aggressive looking front end.I might add.Maybe Nissan should change the name of the 6th gen.I would be ashamed to put "MAXIMA" on that ugly piece of s***.
Sorry but the 4th gen 97-99 Se's have the most agressive looking front end of any Maxima. I drive both a 97 Se and 02 Se and I get more compliments on the 97 and personally like its look moreso than the 02. Interior wise I still think the 89-94 had the best looking interiors adn the 85-88 were feature filled Maxima's. Stuff in them you could only get in the Cressida and Legend from say year 1987 all other Japenese cars at that time couldnt compare.
Old 01-04-2003, 11:39 AM
vqman

Originally posted by MONTE 01&97 SE
Sorry but the 4th gen 97-99 Se's have the most agressive looking front end of any Maxima.
style is opinion.

above is yours...

I had a 1998 SE....I traded it in for a 2003 SE,

I tend to think the 2003 front end is not only more aggressive looking, but better looking as well.

but that's just my OPINION!

-vq

Old 01-04-2003, 11:42 AM

I will agree the rear of the max (5th gen) has never been my fav.........but i would say ugliest max ever.........fastest yes......ugliest no......
Old 01-04-2003, 11:43 AM

Originally posted by VQMAN

style is opinion.

above is yours...

I had a 1998 SE....I traded it in for a 2003 SE,

I tend to think the 2003 front end is not only more aggressive looking, but better looking as well.

but that's just my OPINION!

-vq
Correct its all based on opinion and personal preferences, but any Max from 3rd gen to 5th gen thats in good shape I admire and even those few 2nd gens that are still in good shape!

Quick Reply: Motortrend-Fastest FWD production car ever tested