5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Crappy Potenzas cause accident

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2003 | 10:55 AM

Originally posted by TimW
errr, I know you didnt just say that....
Yeah, that "Jew" commment was not called for nor was it applicable Tom.
Old 01-08-2003 | 11:10 AM

errr, I know you didnt just say that....
I did... I did!!!

In dry conditions, there is no competition, the Maxima wins hands down..

However, when it's wet/icy, the Hyundai is much much much better... (it's the GLS with 16" alloy wheels... I believe that the tires are goodyear brand, although, i don't know which ones exactly)

sorry... i've driven both... the maxima with the potenzas loses traction relatively quickly. that's no doubt, in my opinion.

-Tom
Old 01-08-2003 | 11:17 AM

Yeah... i know what ABS is supposed to do (in theory)... I never said that I expected it to prevent the accident... I just said that I found it curious that it didn't go off in the process of me braking in extremely slick conditions. Right after the crash, the ABS failure light was on (but went off as I drove the car to the shop). I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts on that? (do you think it was just the computer getting all nusty because of the impact?, or is there reason to worry about the effectiveness of my ABS system?)

-Tom

Originally posted by DAREN
the only real choice for a tire in the 225/50r17 size is the michelin pilot sport a/s. if the snow traction isnt up to par get some snows. (toyo or bridgestone) for those of you with aftermarket wheels (7.5 wide or better) the Potenza S-03's are awsome.

bewtween the potenza RE92 and michelin MXM4 HX, which evil do you want? the MXM4 comes oem on the Volvo S80 (same size) and they suck just as bad as the RE92 potenza. i had a customer that wanted me to warraty them for lack of wet/snow traction. (after 2k of driving no less)

the truth is tires like the RE92, MXV4, MXM4 (and other closed shoulder tread tires) would not exist if the vehicle manufacturers did not specify that such a tire be built. the 3 tire models i just listed make up about %50 of the tires installed on brand new cars.

in this example you=mass market joe/jane smith
on mass market vehicles the OEM tire is designed to have

low rolling resistance-fuel economy
low noise-would you buy it if you heard too much tire slap/groan on the test drive?
comfortable ride-comprimises in construction, comfort vs performance-would you buy/lease/have bought/leased that SE maxima w/ C/C package if the performance was great but the ride was harsh?

all other factors that would be considered when making a "good" tire are secondary or not even considered at all.

as far as abs goes (i'm not pointing fingers at anybody here) try to understand that ABS was designed to help you steer around the obstacle while you are braking.

next time you get the chance pull your abs fuse then find an empty parking lot on a rainy day. drive in a straight path till about 30mph and slam on the brakes. when the front wheels lock up try to steer the car. %90 of the time you will have no steering control at all. re-install the fuse and try again, you will notice an improvement in vehicle control. the same thing applies to evasive manuevers, you dont want your wheels to lock up while you are trying to weave around the obstacle in front of you. here is the the vice in that exapmle. once the vehcle is sideways due to the excessive weaving you have lost control, ABS cant do a thing.

i feel bad about your accident and i hope things go well for you (getting the car fixed) going into a spin while braking in a straight line has got to be scary as he11.
Old 01-08-2003 | 12:18 PM
The silent but deadly Moderator

Originally posted by tomz17

I did... I did!!!
I was referring to something else.
Old 01-08-2003 | 12:39 PM

You all probably saw my thread this morning about my accident. Well I can attribute some of that to my crappy Potenzas with 30K. I just ordered Pilots and will have them put on Friday. Bye-Bye Bridgestone!
Old 01-08-2003 | 01:06 PM

Yes, not great in rain>

but a lot of it depends on the driver as well
Old 01-08-2003 | 02:53 PM

Re: Yes, not great in rain>

Originally posted by Clean01MaxSE
but a lot of it depends on the driver as well
Thank you... everyone here knows that if you are a good driver, the laws of physics no longer apply to you...

So long as one doesn't let their (over?)confidence in their driving abilities get in the way of making good decisions about the equipment you use.

-Tom
Old 01-08-2003 | 04:36 PM

I live in northern california s.f. area and it was raining quite a bit the previous week. With that said I was driving 80 on the interstate with the stock craptenzas and didn't have any problems, but at lower speeds(40-60mph)the tires were ****
Old 01-08-2003 | 06:02 PM

Originally posted by MaximaDisciple
I live in northern california s.f. area and it was raining quite a bit the previous week. With that said I was driving 80 on the interstate with the stock craptenzas and didn't have any problems, but at lower speeds(40-60mph)the tires were ****

Now you realize that makes absolutely no sense whatsoever

I believe that the difference is felt when you have to make a sudden move, or speed change...

-Tom
Old 01-08-2003 | 06:58 PM

I was referring to something else.
Tim was referring to the religion commment.....
Old 01-09-2003 | 03:15 PM

Oh... my bad...

I didn't catch that... sorry.. it's just an expression.

But just in case,
I would like to offer my deepest apologies for any undue pain and suffering that very im-politically correct phrase may have caused anyone..

-Tom

Originally posted by Cutlr7

Tim was referring to the religion commment.....
Old 01-10-2003 | 10:30 PM

Originally posted by tomz17
Yeah... i know what ABS is supposed to do (in theory)... I never said that I expected it to prevent the accident... I just said that I found it curious that it didn't go off in the process of me braking in extremely slick conditions. Right after the crash, the ABS failure light was on (but went off as I drove the car to the shop). I was wondering if anyone had any thoughts on that? (do you think it was just the computer getting all nusty because of the impact?, or is there reason to worry about the effectiveness of my ABS system?)

-Tom

as HERBLU2KSE stated the cooper lifeliner sle/mastercraft avenger lsr are very good choices for tires in the OEM fitment. they have and all season tread pattern with. you should notice an improvement in traction in snow/wet.

both of those tires are made by cooper tire&rubber co. if you dont mind driving on a tire that is not a "name" brand these are a good tire for the money.

Mastercraft: all season with and open shoulder.
http://www.mastercrafttire.com/passenger.asp?id=205

Cooper: all season but slightly less aggresive then the M/C
http://www.coopertire.com/tire_coope...ger.asp?id=203

they are essentially the same tire,same UTQG ratings but the tread patterns are different. both are V rated 149mph tires but i doubt the will have the handling capabilities of the Michelins. as i stated earlier they will handily beat the stock potenza's in adverse weather.

as far as the ABs goes i have had the same thing happen but at lower speeds. i hit the brakes on some black ice at ~40mph and the car started to get a little sideways. based on your experience and mine i would have to say that there was possibly a difference in friction between the left and right side of the vehicle. due to the nature of ABS, when you hit the brakes the left side calipers would be apllying full brake pressure to wheels that may have been on a grippier surface. the right side would recievie the same input from the pedal but apply less brake because the right side of the car may have been on a road surface that didnt offer as much grip as the left side. (ice,water,oil,etc) in my opinion the result would be your car pitching off to the left. (in that example)

another question, did hit the brake as you were turning to avoid the truck. if there was snow on the ground did you hit the a patch of snow or slush. if you think your car get pulled around when you hit pockets/puddles of water, snow and slush are even worse.

i was rushing home in dec 00, trying to beat the snowstorm and the impending traffic that was about to be upon me. i was traveling in the middle lane at ~45mph then i got stuck behind some **** doing 25mph on the interstate. granted ther was snow on the ground, but the highway was plowed clear. it was snowing and slush patches were forming. there was no room in the left right lane to pass, so decided to hit the passing lane. it was half and half with wet pavement on my right and less than 1in of snow on the left. so i plowed on with my confident spirit. after i passed a few cars the time was coming for me to get back into the centerlane. right when i finished the thought i drove through a some accumulated snow from the last snow storm. it was almost instant, the car dove to the left and crossed the HOV median,HOV lane and left side median. imagine going sideways at 50mph. luckily there was nothing to hit, so when the car finally stopped i drove back onto the highway and still kept going. for laughs i wish i had a movie of the look on my face when it happened.

the guy doing 25 still hadnt driven by.