5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

UPDATE on anti theft device for HID's

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2003, 07:39 PM

UPDATE on anti theft device for HID's

Ok we took about 2 hours tonight and came up with an initial three posibilities for an anti theft device. Now to stop a criminal you have to think like one. We know that a theif is not going to spend a great ammount of time trying to get the HID's out for fear of being caught. The design we are leaning towards is one that reinforces the top plastic tabs and gets bolted below the HIDs. That is as far as I want to go with that part for now. The second portion is a theft device that would require installing from under the car using stainless aircraft thread that you cannot cut unless you were to use a plasma cutter. It would thread through the bottom of the car and the lower portion if the HID unit.

Disclaimer: If this design proves to be fruitful and will work, it will require some mechanical aptitude to install. It is not simple project. My father is going to make a prototype in the next 2 weeks or so and we will go from there.
Old 01-03-2003, 08:39 PM

Nice job....keep us imformed...
Old 01-03-2003, 08:40 PM

Re: UPDATE on anti theft device for HID's

Originally posted by TheOzzfather
Ok we took about 2 hours tonight and came up with an initial three posibilities for an anti theft device. Now to stop a criminal you have to think like one. We know that a theif is not going to spend a great ammount of time trying to get the HID's out for fear of being caught. The design we are leaning towards is one that reinforces the top plastic tabs and gets bolted below the HIDs. That is as far as I want to go with that part for now. The second portion is a theft device that would require installing from under the car using stainless aircraft thread that you cannot cut unless you were to use a plasma cutter. It would thread through the bottom of the car and the lower portion if the HID unit.

Disclaimer: If this design proves to be fruitful and will work, it will require some mechanical aptitude to install. It is not simple project. My father is going to make a prototype in the next 2 weeks or so and we will go from there.
I hope it works... we're all sitting ducks...
Old 01-03-2003, 09:12 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Good luck, we're all counting on you...
Old 01-03-2003, 09:14 PM
Old Fuddy Duddy

Thanks for the effort we all will be anxiously awaiting the results.
Old 01-03-2003, 09:22 PM

The design we are leaning towards is one that reinforces the top plastic tabs and gets bolted below the HIDs. That is as far as I want to go with that part for now.
If I may make one slightly off-topic suggestion:

As you and your father design this thing, keep daily notes in a marble notebook (the black and white bound hard cover kind, not the spiral kind) Make sure you note who is present when you are taking notes and put the date and time on every page. Also, try to do all sketching and drawing in the notebook with dates on all the pages. Also, find a photo editing program (Photoshop elements is a good inexpensive choice) and place a watermark on any pictures you scan into the computer.

The reason you might want to do these things is that you want a record of what you have designed and considered so that you can identify and document your own intellectual property. You and your dad might come up with something that doesn't work, works "OK" or works wonderfully. But no matter what you come up with, the ideas belong to you, and you should protect that. You might want to patent the idea some day. If so, you'll want to be able to prove what is yours. Remember that the internet is open to everyone, and it sure would suck to post pics and designs and a year from now find out that special HID security brackets are going for $250 a pair to 20,000 Maxima owners, but the money's going to someone else who patented your idea.

As a Maxima owner in NYC I am certainly interested in whatever you two design, but your ideas are your property and you should protect them.

I hope I don't get flamed as a spoil sport or party pooper, I just don't think The Ozzfather should give up his rights to a potentially good and lucrative idea.

good luck, and keep us posted.

Dan
Old 01-03-2003, 09:24 PM

You better be extra NICE to Dad for Father's Day this year!!!
Old 01-03-2003, 09:46 PM
Granny Driven

U might have a great idea but!!!! there is always a BUT. the lights may be sitting very strong and no one can rip them out but the thief WILL try to rip them out cause he dont know u got one mo fo hard bolts holding the lights. Meaning the fu ck face c ock who steals them will FU CK up ur car trieng and then get mad and kea ur car.

What we need is something vesible thats stops the thiefs from trieng.

GET IT?????
Old 01-03-2003, 09:59 PM

Originally posted by 190hpKiLLA
U might have a great idea but!!!! there is always a BUT. the lights may be sitting very strong and no one can rip them out but the thief WILL try to rip them out cause he dont know u got one mo fo hard bolts holding the lights. Meaning the fu ck face c ock who steals them will FU CK up ur car trieng and then get mad and kea ur car.

GET IT?????
I saw someone say something similar to what I am about to say...

You can't prevent damage, but you can save yourself a lot of money with the headlights still in tact...
Old 01-03-2003, 10:08 PM
Granny Driven

Originally posted by drsprite

I saw someone say something similar to what I am about to say...

You can't prevent damage, but you can save yourself a lot of money with the headlights still in tact...
REally??

Hows broken hood, bumper, fenders and scratches HID>.??? Is that not enough damage?? And then the focker will key ur car which u will have to repaint. thats what happens to people who bolt on their clear corners.
Old 01-03-2003, 10:44 PM

Originally posted by 190hpKiLLA

GET IT?????
i was thinking the exact same thing. but then i though about something; if this device becomes popular and more and more people use it theives will start to catch on and realize that every maxima may not be an easy target anymore and thus possibly detering the theives. kind of like an LED for your car alarm. just the fact that they know its there (or could possibly be there) is somewhat of a defense.
Old 01-04-2003, 01:49 AM

Anyone try this?

http://www.courtesyparts.com/Merchan...de=A33KT-HDLCK

Is this like TimW's bolt kit?
Old 01-04-2003, 05:40 AM

Ozzfather: Thanks for taking the bull by the horns on this one. I agree with the other post that it should be something visible. Perhaps we can just put stickers on the hids that are bright yellow or orange saying "The HIDs are protected by the OzzBolt System, Don't even try!"
Old 01-04-2003, 09:32 AM

Thanks for the response everyone I will keep you updated as we progress...

Just remember no promises. We are super busy with real life right now too but we are trying our best. Thank you for your interest and encouragement!