5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

WARNING: n00b Question ALERT! FSTB, RSB?

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2003, 09:33 AM

WARNING: n00b Question ALERT! FSTB, RSB?

Hi all,

What is an FSTB and an RSB and what do they do? I read about them a lot. I'm thinking it's a Front (Something) Traction Bar and a Rear Stabilizer Bar. I may be right, and I'm sure they do something about traction and stabilization respectively, but could someone explain it a bit to me? Please bear in mind that if you have a computer or networking problem I can probably help you out, but as far as when my car needs repairs, i pull up to Jeff the mechanic's shop and say "Jeff, I broke my car again."

Dan
Old 01-04-2003, 09:40 AM
Maxima Pilot

Okay, Noob...only 'cause I'm feeling good

about the New Year I'm not gonna give you a bunch of crap but next time...use the 'Search' function, okay?

FSTB= Front Shock Tower Brace, basically a metal connector between the two front shock towers that stiffens up the front end/reduces flexing in the whole front unit body assembly. Specially effective if the car is lowered and/or if you live in a rough road environment, 'cause either of those two conditions create the large suspension deflections or large suspension loadings that create chassis flex.

RSB = Rear Sway Bar (or also Rear Stabilizer bar) designed to increase the roll stiffness of the rear suspension and balance the stong inherent understeer designed into our cars.
Old 01-04-2003, 09:42 AM

Re: WARNING: n00b Question ALERT! FSTB, RSB?

Originally posted by dcook22
Hi all,

What is an FSTB and an RSB and what do they do? I read about them a lot. I'm thinking it's a Front (Something) Traction Bar and a Rear Stabilizer Bar. I may be right, and I'm sure they do something about traction and stabilization respectively, but could someone explain it a bit to me? Please bear in mind that if you have a computer or networking problem I can probably help you out, but as far as when my car needs repairs, i pull up to Jeff the mechanic's shop and say "Jeff, I broke my car again."

Dan
Hey Dan, the search engine is your best friend, but for your convenience, the FSTB mean front strut tower bar ( it ties both shock tower together ) the RSB rear stabilizer bar ( it hooked up under the multilink beam and stabilize the rear of the car by removing the yaw movement. Both FSTB and RSB improve the handling a lot.

Cheers

AA
Old 01-04-2003, 09:46 AM

Re: WARNING: n00b Question ALERT! FSTB, RSB?

Please bear in mind that if you have a computer or networking problem I can probably help you out, but as far as when my car needs repairs, i pull up to Jeff the mechanic's shop and say "Jeff, I broke my car again."
LOL

I'm sure some others will tell you to do a search on the forum for those two things, but here goes...

1) FSTB - Front Strut Tower Bar. It gets installed between your two front strut towers in the engine compartment. It helps keep everything more ridged during hard cornering, improving steering repsonse. An FSTB can be had for under $50. It makes for a good 1st or 2nd inexpensive mod.

2) RSB - Rear anti-Sway Bar. It gets installed along the rear beam underneath your car. It helps the car reduce roll, and makes a dramatic change in the feel of your suspension if you are going to keep all else stock. Depending on the brand you get, it will run you from about $130 on up. A must-have mod, especially if you don't plan on changing anything else with your suspension.

Hope this helps. Peace.
Old 01-04-2003, 11:23 AM

Re: Re: WARNING: n00b Question ALERT! FSTB, RSB?

Hi all,

thanks for the info. I actually did a search for FSTB and got back 4247 result threads, the first 10 - 20 of which were about installations or prices, but no real info about what these things were. I guess that knowledge was assumed by the posters. I felt the question was simple enough for basic and quick responses, and would cause little harm or angst.

I figured it would be best to warn the populace of a n00b question, rather than just post the question without trying to find the info. I will certainly search with a greater dilligence in the future.

Now that I have the basic info, I can read the past threads with greater understanding and post future questions about the pricing, installation and usefulness of these items with preponderant exactitude and utility.

I thank you for your illumination, caveat and above all your indulgence.

With Gratitude,

Dan

p.s. I got a thesaurus for Christmas.
Old 01-04-2003, 12:56 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: Re: Re: WARNING: n00b Question ALERT! FSTB, RSB?

I thank you for your illumination, caveat and above all your indulgence.

With Gratitude,

Dan

p.s. I got a thesaurus for Christmas.

"Caveat" though? Think you may be a little off on that one (my caveat - I don't have a thesaurus handy )
Old 01-04-2003, 02:48 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: WARNING: n00b Question ALERT! FSTB, RSB?

Originally posted by Maximax2

"Caveat" though? Think you may be a little off on that one (my caveat - I don't have a thesaurus handy )
caveat means warning.

This is from Dictionary.com

8 entries found for caveat.
Entry: caveat
Function: noun
Definition: warning
Synonyms: admonition, alarm, caution, caution, commonition, forewarning, information, monition, sign
Concept: warning

The others warned me that I should search for my answers before posting or I would be taken to task. That was their caveat to me.

Caveat Emptor. Let the buyer beware. (Be warned)

Dan
Old 01-04-2003, 02:59 PM
Da Roller Coaster!

Newbie...check the FAQ thread before asking these types of questions. It will help keep down the flaming. Also for those that replied earlier busting his *****...why did you tell him what they were and bust his *****? Plus, there were about 4 or 5 of the same explanation on what they were. Man....wasted space.
Old 01-04-2003, 03:02 PM

Do you need a picture? I have a digicam
Old 01-04-2003, 03:25 PM

RSB should be one of your first mods. It dramatically helps the suspension out and it's very easy to put on. I like you could do anything with computer networking, etc., but when it came to the car, if it wasn't an oil change or spark plugs, I was dumbfounded. You'll find most of this stuff is easy.