5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

2000 Maxima VS. 2003 Mazda 6

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2003, 10:21 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

2000 Maxima VS. 2003 Mazda 6

2000 Maxima is allot better then 2003 Mazda 6 cuz of the car's tune up. In Vq engines which are used in 2000 Maxima, is the first tune up at 105,000. And in the new Mazda 6, first tune up is at 75,000miles. Car's tune up tell you what type of spark plugs quality is the company using. Maxima's engine are most relaible because since we all know that Toyota is most reliable Japanese company. 2000 and 2003 Toyota Avalon and Toyota Camry are not more reliable than Nissan's Maxima like 2000-2003, Maxima's engine are awarded with top ten best engine in the world. The problem with Camry and Avalon is that they are using same engine that is used in 1999 and it hasn't changed. Also i would like to make a comment bout new Accord. New Accord is really a car without performance. 240hp that is used in sedan accord can't never compeate against 240hp or 245hp that is used in Altima. Nissan's engine are very reliable, Nissan's engines were winning 9 years in the row, here is the website so you won't say that i'm just saying cuz i own one.

http://waw.wardsauto.com/microsites/...id=50&srtype=1
Old 01-04-2003, 10:36 AM

Re: 2000 Maxima VS. 2003 Mazda 6

Originally posted by Maxima 00 GXE
2000 Maxima is allot better then 2003 Mazda 6 cuz of the car's tune up. In Vq engines which are used in 2000 Maxima, is the first tune up at 105,000. And in the new Mazda 6, first tune up is at 75,000miles. Car's tune up tell you what type of spark plugs quality is the company using. Maxima's engine are most relaible because since we all know that Toyota is most reliable Japanese company. 2000 and 2003 Toyota Avalon and Toyota Camry are not more reliable than Nissan's Maxima like 2000-2003, Maxima's engine are awarded with top ten best engine in the world. The problem with Camry and Avalon is that they are using same engine that is used in 1999 and it hasn't changed. Also i would like to make a comment bout new Accord. New Accord is really a car without performance. 240hp that is used in sedan accord can't never compeate against 240hp or 245hp that is used in Altima. Nissan's engine are very reliable, Nissan's engines were winning 9 years in the row, here is the website so you won't say that i'm just saying cuz i own one.

glad to see that nissan is keeping up their good work on the motor...definitely nissan's forte. everyone complains about the suspension, windnoise, etc etc. but i seriously haven't heard one complaint about the cars power or noise.
Old 01-04-2003, 01:18 PM
Clay Aiken has fancy genitals

If only car shopping were as easy as basing the quality of a car on the first scheduled tuneup......... Check out Car and Driver's newest top ten. The Maxima ain't in there. The Mazda 6 is.
Old 01-04-2003, 01:21 PM
vqman

Originally posted by asu174
If only car shopping were as easy as basing the quality of a car on the first scheduled tuneup......... Check out Car and Driver's newest top ten. The Maxima ain't in there. The Mazda 6 is.
as well the Ford Focus is on Car and Driver's Top Ten...

whoop TE do!

Old 01-04-2003, 03:02 PM

although i love my car....i'm not all that shocked.
Old 01-04-2003, 03:31 PM

Where do you find the fact that Honda accord has no performance? lol, coupe accord really gives Infiniti G35 a good competition. yes, a coupe accord is better in performance than both maxima and altima. Sedan Accord is somewhere there. Dont forget it consumes less fuel and it has "Hondas" reliability. I am not saying Nissan's suck, but still you gotta give some credit to honda for making a good 3.0L 240 HP engine.
Old 01-04-2003, 03:31 PM

Read how Car and Driver selects their cars: they only will nominate cars that were either in the 10 best the previous year or if they are all-new or significantly changed for that model year. The Maxima hasn't really changed since 2002 (and I don't even think they would consider that significant enough).

They nominated the 2004 Maxima but as the magazine states, it wasn't available for testing.

I've been reading Car and Driver since 1988 and I like to see what they have to say about cars. They aren't going to make decisions for me though.

They often say that the seats are uncomfortable in a car. Of course their big ****'s sit in almost every production car in the U.S. so of course some are going to be better than others. In fact that's the one thing they don't like about the Ford Focus since it's been out - the seats. My fiance has a 2000 Focus 4-door and it seems fine to me!

And as far as tune-ups go - if you think you should wait until 75k miles or 100k miles to change a spark plug you're nuts!
Old 01-04-2003, 04:00 PM
SLOW

Re: Re: 2000 Maxima VS. 2003 Mazda 6

Originally posted by Goodguy

Where do you find the fact that Honda accord has no performance? lol, coupe accord really gives Infiniti G35 a good competition. yes, a coupe accord is better in performance than both maxima and altima. Sedan Accord is somewhere there. Dont forget it consumes less fuel and it has "Hondas" reliability. I am not saying Nissan's suck, but still you gotta give some credit to honda for making a good 3.0L 240 HP engine.
I agree with you except for this:

yes, a coupe accord is better in performance than both maxima and altima.
On par and in the same league yes, better? Who's to say. My money would be on the Max/Alt, but I might be biased
Old 01-04-2003, 04:31 PM

20% of the cars in there were Nissan/Infiniti; and the 2004 Max didn't make the deadline.
Old 01-04-2003, 04:37 PM

Originally posted by soopermax02

20% of the cars in there were Nissan/Infiniti; and the 2004 Max didn't make the deadline.
hehe, I think that was probably cause Nissan has released most new cars this year? G35, coupe, Z, altima, M45, Murano, etc. Nissan had great year this year. I think its actually on of the best years.
Old 01-04-2003, 04:47 PM

Maxima's engine are most relaible
Maxima's engine are awarded with top ten best engine in the world. Nissan's engine are very reliable, Nissan's engines were winning 9 years in the row
Although I agree Nissan engines are very reliable, I did manage to blow one on Thursday morning. I was in New Jersey leaving New York City heading back home to Toronto, Canada when a piston blew right through the engine block. Difeo Nissan in Jersey City is going to replace the engine so I had to take a flight back to Toronto and I'll go back down to the dealership to pick up the car when it's ready.
If anyone is in Jersey City, drop by Difeo Nissan and talk to Jim Freschi about it (service manager).
On a side note, Difeo Nissan's service was awesome and they really went above and beyond to accomodate me and my crappy situation (being Canadian and all). If you're in the Jersey area, I strongly recommend them.
(By the way, I have a 2000 SE and the engine only had 35,000 miles on it).
Old 01-04-2003, 04:51 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Listen peeps,

Honda Accord sedan and coupe is not performance because of the 3Liter Engine that is used in their cars. Honda has really weak in pound feet of torque. Hp is important but Torque is really what car need to be fast. Anyways Nissan Maxima was like first Japanese Sedan that made 222hp with 3liter engine. If you compare Infiniti G35 coupe VS. Honda Accord coupe, i can bet you that G35 will smoke it in any competation. Because G35 Coupe is based on 350Z platform and its same power plant that is used in 350Z,(VQ 3.5 liter engine) As u all know Honda s2000 is in competation against 350Z, but i can bet you that Z is faster in anything like G35 with Accord coupe. Nissan's team have decided that if you want power then you must get 3.5 liter engine, Honda Accord made a mistake because 3.0liter engine can't be tuned without any turbos. But which sedan gives you turbocharger?? You all know that you can tune 3.0liter engine, but the car won't be relaible as without no turbos.If you tune your car, its more pressure on the engine so it won't last longer cuz all that pressure will make leak down in the engine.Anyways Honda will soon change their engine from 3.0liter engine into 3.5 or 3.2...
Old 01-04-2003, 04:55 PM

Anyways Honda will soon change their engine from 3.0liter engine into 3.5 or 3.2...
Well, they have the 3.2 for the Acura. Guess they could use that...
Old 01-04-2003, 05:06 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

The only reason the Maxima its not there is because they are waiting for 2004 Maxima....Also 350Z is in the top ten, it won't be cool if they used all the Nissan's cars there cuz they are best in their class most of them.When Z is in the top ten, that means than Maxima is in it too because Z and Maxima share same engine. Car and Driver felt bad for Mazda since their Mazda Millenia can't be comapred to anything(lol) So Car and Driver decided that they gonna use Mazda 6. Also Mazda6 is not realy reliable, i know that Mazda has double wishbone suspensions, but what is the point of the suspensions if the car can't last. Maximas will last near 300,000miles with same engine, Mazda won't last 160,000, then again there is the next tune up. Last 9 years, Maxima's engine have been announced the world ten best engines. So what if the Maxima is not on the car and driver top ten, Mercedes Benz E class aren't there so does that mean that Mazda6 is better than Mercedes??(NO)
Old 01-04-2003, 05:19 PM
vqman

Re: Re: Re: 2000 Maxima VS. 2003 Mazda 6

Originally posted by Nealoc187

I agree with you except for this:

On par and in the same league yes, better? Who's to say. My money would be on the Max/Alt, but I might be biased
i'm with you....torque baby, torque...

and lots of it!

-vq

Old 01-04-2003, 05:20 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally posted by MadMax1996

And as far as tune-ups go - if you think you should wait until 75k miles or 100k miles to change a spark plug you're nuts!
I didn't say that you should change spark plugs around there, but it tells you what quality of spark plugs is used in the car. See, Nissan puts good quality parts like spark plugs, that tells you that engine is good quality one because of the tune up. See in Nissan Maxima the tune up is at 105,000miles and Mazda 6 is 75,000miles. When the tune up is done with VQ or V's engine then it is harder to change spark plugs because V's engine are made complicatated. V's engines were created to save space, but also to put together the engine and make less room to change any engine parts.V engines are supose to be good quality because if something brakes then you have to take everything out to replace something simple that can be replaced without hassle.
Old 01-04-2003, 05:22 PM
vqman

I just got my Motor Trend mag today, they compared the Altima vs. Mazda 6....and a Jetta? but anyway....

The Mazda 6 uses the Duratec V6 out of the Taurus!

aaaaahhahahahahhahahhahahahahahahahaha

-vq

Old 01-04-2003, 05:31 PM

Originally posted by VQMAN
I just got my Motor Trend mag today, they compared the Altima vs. Mazda 6....and a Jetta? but anyway....

The Mazda 6 uses the Duratec V6 out of the Taurus!

aaaaahhahahahahhahahhahahahahahahahaha

-vq
Where the heck did you find a rumor like that? It uses ford's block, not engine. BTW visit some of the mazda 6 forums to see what's about engine and stuff. Because Mazda 6's engine and duratec are 2% alike.

Read all posts on this page!

http://www.goonish.com/atenza/read.php?TID=722&page=10
Old 01-04-2003, 05:32 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally posted by Axel

(By the way, I have a 2000 SE and the engine only had 35,000 miles on it).
Anyways i have 2000 GXE Maxima and its 46,000miles and i never had problem with it. Ever since i got it it was like new and still is. If that happen to you, then that was a Factory mistake because people make mistakes. I also figure out that Maxima is working better when it has more miles. Also when i go further places, Maxima's engine is smoother and smoother. That means that VQ engines love to put miles on them. Maxima's start to have problems after 105,000miles, and Mazda6 after 75,000miles, so its common sense if you want problem to occur faster get Mazda6, if you want car that can last really really long time, get Maxima!
Old 01-04-2003, 05:32 PM

V engines are supose to be good quality because if something brakes then you have to take everything out to replace something simple that can be replaced without hassle.
Mazda 6's engine is based on V design too.
Old 01-04-2003, 05:54 PM
vqman

HEY GOODGUY!

Where the heck did you find a rumor like that? It uses ford's block, not engine. BTW visit some of the mazda 6 forums to see what's about engine and stuff. Because Mazda 6's engine and duratec are 2% alike.

Read all posts on this page!

http://www.goonish.com/atenza/read.php?TID=722&page=10
no thanks, Ill take your word man.

My New Years Resolution prohibits me from going to any website's named "goonish".

I am just reading this out of my Motor Trend,
MT February 2003 page 88
"Both Mazda engines are new to the U.S. Market, althought the V-6 is adapted from the Ford's 3.0-liter Duratec...."
adapted, shared, derived...sounds like more than 2%, but I'm taking your word on that...

But that's where I heard the "rumur"...February MT...they're pretty reliable, no?

frankly sharing a block with a Ford is WAY more Ford than I want under my hood...WAY more....

if back in the early 60's late 50's, I put a Datsun Block in a Ford, do you think good old boys would call it a JAP engine, or an American engine...if all the valve heads, roller-fingers and such were American? Sharing a block is about as close as you can get to sharing an engine.

The Mazda is WAY to Ford for me....

-vq

p.s. I guess the 3.0 Duratec in the Mazda Tribute isn't really a Ford engine either?

ahahaaahahahahahhah

Old 01-04-2003, 06:09 PM

Re: HEY GOODGUY!

no thanks, Ill take your word man.

My New Years Resolution prohibits me from going to any website's named "goonish".

I am just reading this out of my Motor Trend, adapted, shared, derived...sounds like more than 2%, but I'm taking your word on that...

But that's where I heard the "rumur"...February MT...they're pretty reliable, no?

frankly sharing a block with a Ford is WAY more Ford than I want under my hood...WAY more....

if back in the early 60's late 50's, I put a Datsun Block in a Ford, do you think good old boys would call it a JAP engine, or an American engine...if all the valve heads, roller-fingers and such were American? Sharing a block is about as close as you can get to sharing an engine.

The Mazda is WAY to Ford for me....

-vq

p.s. I guess the 3.0 Duratec in the Mazda Tribute isn't really a Ford engine either?

ahahaaahahahahahhah

You know whats the difference between taurus and mazda 6, and ford taurus and mazda tribute?

Mazda 6- 220 HP, 192 Pounds feet of torque
Mazda Tribute- 200 HP, 200 pounds feet of torque
Ford Taurus- 200 HP, 200 Pounds feet of torque

Now once you see this, you can see that engine in mazda 6 and ford taurus are very different. Yes, its possible that mazda 6 has exhaust and intake, but not possible to loose torque cause of it. Why is mazda 6 better in performance than ford taurus? Why is mazda 6 better in almost everything? If mazda uses same engine as ford (as you stated), then there wouldn't be mazda enthusiasts. Mazda also makes rotary engines. Will you say that ford makes them too?
Old 01-04-2003, 06:18 PM
vqman

Re: Re: HEY GOODGUY!

You know whats the difference between taurus and mazda 6, and ford taurus and mazda tribute?

Mazda 6- 220 HP, 192 Pounds feet of torque
Mazda Tribute- 200 HP, 200 pounds feet of torque
Ford Taurus- 200 HP, 200 Pounds feet of torque

Now once you see this, you can see that engine in mazda 6 and ford taurus are very different. Yes, its possible that mazda 6 has exhaust and intake, but not possible to loose torque cause of it. Why is mazda 6 better in performance than ford taurus? Why is mazda 6 better in almost everything? If mazda uses same engine as ford (as you stated), then there wouldn't be mazda enthusiasts. Mazda also makes rotary engines. Will you say that ford makes them too?
I stated that I believed you that they are not "EXACTLY" the same. Do you need some of my xanax?

But that is like saying the Pathfinder's VQ35DE isn't the same as the one in the 350Z...they put out different HP/TQ ratings, but they're still the same engine. They have different internals, different Intake, exhaust....but they are not different engines.

One is tuned for truck duty, one is tuned for sports car duty.

The Mazda 6 V-6 uses a FORD BLOCK...GET OVER IT!

In my opinion, as I said, the fact that they even share an engine block is enough to keep my away from EVER even considering purchasing it. That is sharing WAY to many parts with a FORD.

btw, mazda did the right thing bringing back the rotary engine...

-vq

Old 01-04-2003, 06:38 PM

Re: Re: Re: HEY GOODGUY!

I stated that I believed you that they are not "EXACTLY" the same. Do you need some of my xanax?

But that is like saying the Pathfinder's VQ35DE isn't the same as the one in the 350Z...they put out different HP/TQ ratings, but they're still the same engine. They have different internals, different Intake, exhaust....but they are not different engines.

One is tuned for truck duty, one is tuned for sports car duty.

The Mazda 6 V-6 uses a FORD BLOCK...GET OVER IT!

In my opinion, as I said, the fact that they even share an engine block is enough to keep my away from EVER even considering purchasing it. That is sharing WAY to many parts with a FORD.

btw, mazda did the right thing bringing back the rotary engine...

-vq
Anyways, who won in your motortrend megs?
Old 01-04-2003, 06:43 PM
vqman

Re: Re: Re: Re: HEY GOODGUY!

Anyways, who won in your motortrend megs?
They gave the nod to the Mazda 6...

given it's performance, style, interior qualities, I too would choose it, if it weren't for the Ford Block...I know...not entirely the same engine...but still...

The Altima is too ugly to me... I liked it at first, but not anymore. The Mazda 6 looks like a large Corolla (from side) with an Acura TL/CL front end...but I like the Corolla's lines from the side...

I did own a 626 a looong time ago and had MAJOR problems with it's MAZDA 4 cylinder...it was an '83 model...5 door hatch, 5 speed...

it was fun to drive...for a 16 year old that didn't know any better, but it broke on me all the time...

peace at last...i think

-vq

Old 01-04-2003, 07:03 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: HEY GOODGUY!

They gave the nod to the Mazda 6...

given it's performance, style, interior qualities, I too would choose it, if it weren't for the Ford Block...I know...not entirely the same engine...but still...

The Altima is too ugly to me... I liked it at first, but not anymore. The Mazda 6 looks like a large Corolla (from side) with an Acura TL/CL front end...but I like the Corolla's lines from the side...

I did own a 626 a looong time ago and had MAJOR problems with it's MAZDA 4 cylinder...it was an '83 model...5 door hatch, 5 speed...

it was fun to drive...for a 16 year old that didn't know any better, but it broke on me all the time...

peace at last...i think

-vq
well mazda's sedans did suck long time ago, but since they put out mazdaspeed protege, 6, and maybe mazdaspeed 6, I'm starting to like it more and more.
Old 01-04-2003, 07:06 PM
vqman

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: HEY GOODGUY!

well mazda's sedans did suck long time ago, but since they put out mazdaspeed protege, 6, and maybe mazdaspeed 6, I'm starting to like it more and more.
YEAH, the mazdaspeed protege...that's a bad mo

My wife's friend from work wants to buy a Sentra...I'm trying to convince her of a Protege or Civic...she's not into the performance models...

She just needs good transport...but the protege handles well even in the base model...

-vq

see emax95...I can get along!!!

Old 01-05-2003, 02:45 AM

I like Hondas. They're reliable. Seems like they've finally been inspired by the VQ engines. I am currently pushing 243hp w/o ecu mod on my 3.0L '01 MaxiMaMa engine and i'm still not satisfied. As of now i have a new VQ35 sitting in my garage waiting to be dropped into my Anniversary Ed with a new m/t in 4 months *hohohhoh*. I have yet to meet the rice burners with those new 240hp Accords as i've ricely burned 2 fixed TL-Ses - 1 car distance each in my area.......i'm still not satisfied in my Maxima's competing performance....

let r = n