5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Stolen HIDs on eBay?

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2003 | 10:09 PM

Stolen HIDs on eBay?

I saw these today, and judging from the pics, they look like the top tabs are busted clean off. Is it too much to think these may have been stolen?

Possibly stolen HIDs listed on eBay
Old 01-04-2003 | 10:17 PM

It is very possible that this is one of the stolen HID's.
Old 01-04-2003 | 10:17 PM

Re: Stolen HIDs on eBay?

Originally posted by Scrimbo
I saw these today, and judging from the pics, they look like the top tabs are busted clean off. Is it too much to think these may have been stolen?

Possibly stolen HIDs listed on eBay
Well, considering the sellers location, the number of posts from people who have had a lot of problems in that area, and the tabs are missing. I am willing to say that your assumption is correct.

*edit* It also looks like the HID bulb is missing on one of those lights... nice chopped set of HIDs for sale!
Old 01-04-2003 | 10:18 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Tabs are the least of your worries there. The ballasts for the XENON bulbs are gone along with all the bulbs...these are a piece of plastic from what it looks like. Not even worth the $100.
Old 01-04-2003 | 10:51 PM
Clay Aiken has fancy genitals

I'm in a ****y mood. Here is my e-mail that I just sent to the seller.

Hi there! I have a couple of the questions about the headlights that you are auctioning.

1. It looks as though a crazed gorilla tore them out of the car that these were stolen from. Will you include any hot glue or comparable adhesive so I can put them back together? I just hate it when my headlights fall apart while I am driving down the road.

2. I noticed that they are missing the ballasts and bulbs, making these headlights completely inoperable. Can you measure the bulb opening for me so I can see if I can rig up a couple of small flashlights or candles instead? Headlights without light kind of defeat the purpose, don't you think?

Thanks for the help in advance! I really appreciate it. Happy selling!
Old 01-04-2003 | 11:09 PM

Yeah. I've seen these on e-bay also. They sure do look stolen. All beat up. I had ask some questions about them. He said this:"there is only a minor scuff on the drivers side can be buffed off i listed some other pics i think there is only 1 bulb i listed them for a friend and i know nothing about them "<YDM23@aol.com>. Yeah....SURE you don't know anything about them.....
Old 01-04-2003 | 11:18 PM

Originally posted by asu174

Hi there! I have a couple of the questions about the headlights that you are auctioning.

1. It looks as though a crazed gorilla tore them out of the car that these were stolen from. Will you include any hot glue or comparable adhesive so I can put them back together? I just hate it when my headlights fall apart while I am driving down the road.

2. I noticed that they are missing the ballasts and bulbs, making these headlights completely inoperable. Can you measure the bulb opening for me so I can see if I can rig up a couple of small flashlights or candles instead? Headlights without light kind of defeat the purpose, don't you think?

Very well put. I was going to do something of the same.. but I deceided against it

Now what someone should do, since we have his email, is somehow get the police involved for selling stolen merchandise. or something... it's AOL, I'm sure it's not that hard to track him down. Even if it is him, or a friend.. this could do some good here?
Old 01-04-2003 | 11:21 PM

Has anyone reported it to ebay?
Old 01-04-2003 | 11:24 PM

Yeah we should report his azz for selling stolen merchandise.
Old 01-05-2003 | 12:05 AM

Maybe we should start engraving out VIN numbers on the HID assembly's bulb's and balast.
Maybe a number on the front across the bottom like you do on the bottom edge on the windows.
Old 01-05-2003 | 01:47 AM

Originally posted by LatinMax
Maybe we should start engraving out VIN numbers on the HID assembly's bulb's and balast.
Maybe a number on the front across the bottom like you do on the bottom edge on the windows.
this sounds like a good start, but i'm sure even the guys stealing the HIDs aren't THAT stupid. I mean if you engrave the vin in, it will look odd and even the dumbest thief wont try to sell it ( or post whole pictures of it).

if you still want the vins on, you could try to figure out a part of the light that can't be broken or cracked and is central enough so that it has to be in any picture. not broken or cracked means it cant be broken or else the lights are useless.

-or-

mark or engrave a special number or code onto the lights in the same location as above. have a special forum that the mods grant access to HID owners where ppl that do this marking post thier info w/ pictures for proof. now if your lights are stolen, there will be a non importnat/insignificant mark/number on the lights . hopefully, this mark wont mean anything to the thief and he/she wont think anything of it. now if they pop up on ebay, it should be easy to provide ebay/police with information that will a) get your semibroken lights back b) catch the thief

just some other ideas:
1) get nissan into the act here. yea right but seriously, ideally, they could host a site/forum that would require your vin to log in and then be able to post eh appropriate information
... yes this wont happen, cuz more stolen lights = more $ for nissan, but anythings possible right?
2) if this is gonna be a max.org thing, then maybe use the id # that corresponds to your user name as a mark
3) also gonna need a central database to hold all uploaded proof/photos to make sure your stuff sticks around. this probably will require $$$ to maintain tho ...

other ideas/ problems with mine, lets get creative to help you HID guys out
ps i dont have a 5th gen, but i'm just seeing if i can help
Old 01-05-2003 | 05:23 AM
It's chrome alright...

I sent an email very similar to yours... not quite as good though

I wonder how many emails he got and if he'll reply to any...?

Old 01-05-2003 | 09:09 AM

Hi guys, dont flame me but, I already bid on those HID, a friend of mine who work for Nissan Canada, told me there might be a way of figuring out were they come from, without giving more epxlanantions, if I win the auction, I will send him the HID and he will work out his way to find on which car they have been stolen from, I think there might be a serial number some where on the headlight assembly, I guess that's why they can prolly find out were it come from, lets hope we can find the focker who did this, or at least nail the morons who sells it if they're stolen.

Cheers

AA
Old 01-05-2003 | 09:46 AM

He's in LI...

...so if you win the auction, let me know what the name / address is of the seller (will be included on the payment / package) and I'll see if I can get the local cops involved if they prove to be stolen. I would like to have an extra set to play with (ie practice on clearing out the amber / using for fogs, etc.) but I refuse to give these people a dime.

I came up with the VIN etching idea a while ago, but people said "they would just scratch it off" Oh well
Old 01-05-2003 | 10:20 AM

Re: He's in LI...

Originally posted by spta97
...so if you win the auction, let me know what the name / address is of the seller (will be included on the payment / package) and I'll see if I can get the local cops involved if they prove to be stolen. I would like to have an extra set to play with (ie practice on clearing out the amber / using for fogs, etc.) but I refuse to give these people a dime.

I came up with the VIN etching idea a while ago, but people said "they would just scratch it off" Oh well
It would have to be etched in pretty deep on the front lense near the bottom so that if it is scatched off it would be obvious that they are stolen.
Old 01-05-2003 | 10:30 AM

We already know these are stolen. What explanation could there be for why everything is missing from the lights? I just took apart my headlights a week ago, and I do not remember seeing any serial number or anything on it. What we don't know is how many people are involved in stealing the HIDs. It could be one, it could be ten, so if we get this guy, we could potentially be getting right to the heart of the problem.
Old 01-05-2003 | 10:44 AM

Let me ask this. Lets say they were stolen, because the tabs are broken, could you really install these? I mean if the tabs are broken?
I thought the tabs were to mount and hold them? Or am I wrong? Or are they mounted some other way....? Just asking questions. Cuz they wouldnt really be worth it if you couldn't mount them?
Old 01-05-2003 | 10:46 AM

Originally posted by PHATMAN5050
We already know these are stolen. What explanation could there be for why everything is missing from the lights? I just took apart my headlights a week ago, and I do not remember seeing any serial number or anything on it. What we don't know is how many people are involved in stealing the HIDs. It could be one, it could be ten, so if we get this guy, we could potentially be getting right to the heart of the problem.

Hey PHATMAN5050, like you said it's obvious they have been stolen, the ballast are missing and the tab are broken, and the seller call this used HID, it'S BS. For the serial number it was only a suggestion, cuz I dont have HID on my max.
I e-mail the seller car54wau, and aked questions on how he got those, let see what kind of lies he will throw me, he's from Long Island NY.

P.S: I will keep you posted

Cheers

AA
Old 01-05-2003 | 10:49 AM

Originally posted by cwally
Let me ask this. Lets say they were stolen, because the tabs are broken, could you really install these? I mean if the tabs are broken?
I thought the tabs were to mount and hold them? Or am I wrong? Or are they mounted some other way....? Just asking questions. Cuz they wouldnt really be worth it if you couldn't mount them?

It will have to be repair prior to install, the tab hold them to the front chasis, it's not that big of a deal to fix those with epoxy and a custom metal brackets.

Cheers

AA
Old 01-05-2003 | 11:29 AM

Seems kinda silly to pay $100 for something we already know is stolen. I would think that he would cover himself and not send anything out with a serial number on it.

Do you plan on actually using these? You do realize that these are missing the ballasts, right? It will cost you more to repair these than it will to buy new ones.
Old 01-05-2003 | 11:47 AM

Seems kinda silly to pay $100 for something we already know is stolen. I would think that he would cover himself and not send anything out with a serial number on it.

Do you plan on actually using these? You do realize that these are missing the ballasts, right? It will cost you more to repair these than it will to buy new ones.

No I dont plan on using stolen goods. After I made the bids, I send the seller an e-mail asking him why he sell HID without the Ballast and why the tab are broken, if these are used they should be working, unit like this in a non working condition is called a piece of crap. I just want to nail the focker, I just play plain idiot with him, let see if he can smell the crap. I'm still waiting for his answer.

Cheers

AA
Old 01-05-2003 | 11:48 AM

No I dont plan on using stolen goods. After I made the bids, I send the seller an e-mail asking him why he sell HID without the Ballast and why the tab are broken, if these are used they should be working, unit like this in a non working condition is called a piece of crap. I just want to nail the focker, I just play plain idiot with him, let see if he can smell the crap. You would be surprise to see how stupid some thief are so I'm still waiting for his answer.

Cheers

AA
Old 01-05-2003 | 12:23 PM

Originally posted by doublea

No I dont plan on using stolen goods. After I made the bids, I send the seller an e-mail asking him why he sell HID without the Ballast and why the tab are broken, if these are used they should be working, unit like this in a non working condition is called a piece of crap. I just want to nail the focker, I just play plain idiot with him, let see if he can smell the crap. You would be surprise to see how stupid some thief are so I'm still waiting for his answer.

Cheers

AA
I just heard back from this guy....

"i listed these for a friend didnt know they were broken ended listing"

I didn't know they were broken
Old 01-05-2003 | 12:41 PM

Bought a Dremel yesterday....

Originally posted by LatinMax
Did just that today. Placed the VIN on them as well as an initial that only I can ID.
Old 01-05-2003 | 02:17 PM

Originally posted by kramerica72

I just heard back from this guy....

"i listed these for a friend didnt know they were broken ended listing"

I didn't know they were broken
Hey kramerica72, you got the same answer I got from the seller YDM23@aol.com so I think they might have fear to get caught.

Cheers

AA
Old 01-05-2003 | 03:44 PM

Originally posted by doublea

Hey kramerica72, you got the same answer I got from the seller YDM23@aol.com so I think they might have fear to get caught.

Cheers

AA
Whatever it takes to make these things harder to sell!!!
Old 01-05-2003 | 04:21 PM

Oh well, the auction ended and so does the storyline as far as this bastard is concerned. I think we all just stopped another HID theft/sale online. If we can continue to be vigilant like this when suspect HID's show up online we'll ultimately defeat this practice. Good work guys!
Old 01-05-2003 | 04:58 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Ok I will confess, I emailed this guy before I read the thread and told him that DoubleEA was in law enforcement and was investigating the recent rash of HID headlight thefts in the area. The cops are starting to set up people for headlight theft. They are onto you. Your friend ______.

I got an email back that said thanks.

I didnt post this earlier bc I felt bad for sabotaging DoubleEA's plans, b/c I hadn't read this thread yet.
Old 01-05-2003 | 04:58 PM

Ok I will confess, I emailed this guy before I read the thread and told him that DoubleEA was in law enforcement and was investigating the recent rash of HID headlight thefts in the area. The cops are starting to set up people for headlight theft. They are onto you. Your friend ______.

I didnt post this earlier bc I felt bad for sabotaging DoubleEA's plans, b/c I hadn't read this thread yet.
Old 01-05-2003 | 05:34 PM

Ok, are you f**king kidding me? Are you some kind of moron? Why IN THE FIRST PLACE WOULD YOUR WRITE HIM AND TELL HIM THIS! You should be banned from this forum and I hope your car treats you with the utmost disrespect that I would show you if I could find your cowardly ***. I hope that if you have HIDs on your car, they steal them, your car, and you in it. I have never been so sickened by a stranger's actions. You, sir, are a shame. and :f**k-you:
Old 01-05-2003 | 05:40 PM

Old 01-05-2003 | 05:44 PM

Originally posted by MichaelAE

holy s!
Old 01-05-2003 | 06:13 PM

Originally posted by 00MAXIST

I'm confused. If you emailed this guy before you read this thread, how would you know what doublea did and what his plans were?
Old 01-05-2003 | 06:14 PM

WTF??? WTF were you thinking? Even without reading this thread this is not something you should be doing! Are your brain cells fried?
Cannot believe my F**cking eyes!
Old 01-05-2003 | 07:16 PM

Way to go man. You idiot. What the hell were you thinking? If you really want to catch this guy, now you will have to bid and win one of his other auctions.
Old 01-05-2003 | 07:30 PM

DoubleEA is the guys id on ebay as well. I didn't mean any harm. I saw it as one guy is now going to be freaked out by thinking that law enforcement is on to him. He is now going to think twice about stealing hid's. He is also going to have to find a new market to sell his stolen goods. I had no idea that there was a way to track the buyer. I was only trying to stop another sale of stolen HID's. If the thief hadn't bought into thinking that law enforcement was on to him, he wouldn't have cancelled the auction.

You all need to calm down, we are all working towards the same goal it's just that some of us have a different method of achieving results.

P.S. DoubleEA sorry to ruin your plan.
Old 01-05-2003 | 07:38 PM

Yeah, you sure scared him I'm sure he never knew it was illegal to steal things from others and to sell stolen merchandise.

What this guy was hoping was that he could sell these goods easily on ebay, hoping that no one would realize they were stolen. Since you informed him that everyone knew they were stolen, he will now sell them somewhere else, I can guarentee it.
Old 01-05-2003 | 07:53 PM

Old 01-05-2003 | 08:19 PM

dammit...if only someone could have gotten his home address...I'm on LI, and I smell beatdown...we should all find out his address and then a bunch of us from the Roosevelt Field meet could greet him at his door...
Old 01-05-2003 | 10:01 PM

Look at the time you all put in on this ****. Bunch of sally's..

Come on guys lets report him to ebay, come on guys let's make our own vin numbers, come on guys lets create a web site so we can house our vin numbers on line.

How about you get out of your chairs in front of those PC's and go drive your friggen cars. Wait, that wouldn't make too much sense cause we might go over our lease miles, since we couldn't afford to actually purchase the car.

Anyway keep going over the same thing, over and over. It's fun to see the same thing reworded different ways 36 times..

A few things to keep in mind since your all so investigative.

Can't catch a guy by buying his equipment and then trying to turn him in. You have no probable cause, you didn't witness a theft, and now your the proud owner of ****..Cause that's what he was selling. So you get this equipment, what were you going to do? Turn it over to the police? For what? If there was anything trace-able on them then all of the thievery would have been stopped long ago.

Someone posted he was going to give them to a police friend. What in the hell was he going to track on. We have already all determined that there isn't anything.

So you get the kids name and address. Big deal, you still can't prove that they are stolen. Someone wanted to have a meet then stop over at the dudes house and give him a beat down. Gotta have all your boys there from the meet? Can't go by yourself? You show up there and he'll make an *** of you anyway just by making a call to the authorities. Remember, your on his property threatening him. Not the other way around, your in the wrong no matter what he stole. You'd have to put more miles on your lease vehicle so you might want to re-evaluate the drive over.

Good luck in the future playing keystone cops, cause your all terrible at it.

Quick Reply: Stolen HIDs on eBay?