5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

260-270 WHP NA? Heres is the missing link(new 2004 oem max part)

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2003, 02:46 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by quansung 2
hey emax,when are you going to dyno your car again?
Probably in the spring.
Old 01-08-2003, 02:52 PM
Fastest Fantasy Maxima Evar

Originally posted by 2002Maxxxima

I'd like to see you finish that project. You bought all that stuff and now it's just sitting there. Get that shiz on there and go dyno for petes sake.

You have some very innovative ideas, and it seems you have the cash flow to do some testing. We all appreciate you being out there on the front line for us.
If everyone appreciates Ethans' innovation MAYBE it would be a good idea to start a HELP ETHAN MOD/DYNO FUND?!?

That would HELP accelerate his ability to fund new ideas/projects withOUT depending on him to take all the RISK.
Old 01-08-2003, 06:45 PM

Originally posted by IceY2K1

If everyone appreciates Ethans' innovation MAYBE it would be a good idea to start a HELP ETHAN MOD/DYNO FUND?!?

That would HELP accelerate his ability to fund new ideas/projects withOUT depending on him to take all the RISK.
Not a bad idea.

I was thinking that when Ethan finishes he should put together an intake manifold conversion kit, mark it up a few bucks, and sell it, maybe through Frankencar. He makes a few bucks and we get a great product.
Old 01-08-2003, 07:37 PM

Originally posted by 03BlkSETE

Not a bad idea.

I was thinking that when Ethan finishes he should put together an intake manifold conversion kit, mark it up a few bucks, and sell it, maybe through Frankencar. He makes a few bucks and we get a great product.
Not a bad idea yourself. I'm pretty sure Ethan had something like that up his sleeve.

Anyways, Maxima owners NEED all the help we can get. The hardest part of any R&D project is finding a willing guinea pig. We know Ethan is willing, but the cost of all his projects has to slow him down. The more $$$$$ support he has, the FASTER and more projects he can take on.

So who would be down for contributing to the "Maxima.org R&D Fund"??????
Old 01-08-2003, 07:49 PM

Not a bad idea yourself. I'm pretty sure Ethan had something like that up his sleeve.

Anyways, Maxima owners NEED all the help we can get. The hardest part of any R&D project is finding a willing guinea pig. We know Ethan is willing, but the cost of all his projects has to slow him down. The more $$$$$ support he has, the FASTER and more projects he can take on.

So who would be down for contributing to the "Maxima.org R&D Fund"??????
Hmmm, interesting concept. I'd send him a little something for his efforts. We'd have to do something like the United Way drive with a goal, and a progress so we can see what's up. Plus, that'd give us more incentive, I think.
Old 01-08-2003, 08:01 PM

Hmmm, interesting concept. I'd send him a little something for his efforts. We'd have to do something like the United Way drive with a goal, and a progress so we can see what's up. Plus, that'd give us more incentive, I think.
Sounds good to me. What's a "little something"? $20? I'm not going to hold you to it, I'm just wondering what it would be worth for Maxima owners to actually have REAL aftermarket parts they REALLY want/need.

Although, my "Intake Dyno Shootout" thread flopped, I know we sent someone to Maxus, so the .orgy can pull together. We just need the publicity. I think I might be able to help there.
Old 01-08-2003, 08:11 PM

I'm interested in this. I think the idea just needs to be fleshed out more. What will the money be used for? Who decides? What about the different gen's?

$20 dollars seem like a reasonable amount, I think.
Old 01-08-2003, 08:30 PM

5th gens ONLY.....

Originally posted by 03BlkSETE
I'm interested in this. I think the idea just needs to be fleshed out more. What will the money be used for? Who decides? What about the different gen's?

$20 dollars seem like a reasonable amount, I think.
A volunteer would accept whatever the contributors vote/decide, since it would be their money and his car on the line. I'd say ONLY volunteers that are trust worthy and possibly have members in the area for support/witnesses.

Just a few suggestions off the top of my head, but I would suggest:
1)We have an "announcement" that contains a PayPal account(maybe controlled by Kev?), so people can easily contribute.
2)A sticky to keep track of the progrees, throw ideas/suggestions around, keep people interested, and recruit volunteers.
3)Start small and work our way up. I think funds for dyno time would be a good start to see how interested people really are. Then try and help on the cost of the parts.
4)Ethan has PROVEN he is willing and reliable and has Steve as a witness, so we SHOULD start off with him and the 350Z manifold idea.

Anything else?
Old 01-08-2003, 08:39 PM

Re: 5th gens ONLY.....

A volunteer would accept whatever the contributors vote/decide, since it would be their money and his car on the line. I'd say ONLY volunteers that are trust worthy and possibly have members in the area for support/witnesses.

Just a few suggestions off the top of my head, but I would suggest:
1)We have an "announcement" that contains a PayPal account(maybe controlled by Kev?), so people can easily contribute.
2)A sticky to keep track of the progrees, throw ideas/suggestions around, keep people interested, and recruit volunteers.
3)Start small and work our way up. I think funds for dyno time would be a good start to see how interested people really are. Then try and help on the cost of the parts.
4)Ethan has PROVEN he is willing and reliable and has Steve as a witness, so we SHOULD start off with him and the 350Z manifold idea.

Anything else?
I am flattered by your desire to help me out, I appreciate the notion. But, I would feel pressured by people paying for my projects, it's really just a hobby of mine and I can not accept donations. Thanks again for the idea though.
Old 01-08-2003, 08:47 PM

Re: Re: 5th gens ONLY.....

Originally posted by emax95

I am flattered by your desire to help me out, I appreciate the notion. But, I would feel pressured by people paying for my projects, it's really just a hobby of mine and I can not accept donations. Thanks again for the idea though.

NP. Just a thought, since you make mods happen.
Old 01-09-2003, 03:54 AM

Re: Re: Re: 5th gens ONLY.....

NP. Just a thought, since you make mods happen.
Yeah, I'da put a twenty on it.
Old 01-09-2003, 04:25 AM

Ummm, disagre A FWD platform is more efficient than a RWD platform in utilization of space. More efficient in putting the power down to the wheels without slipping. But more powerful? Nope. A RWD platform enables designers more room to make a better intake manifold, route a more free flowing exhaust, use a bigger and somewhat better designed tranny etc. FWD you always gotta cram things in.

Also, getting this power gain may need a look at the exhaust, too. Everyone's paying all the attention to the intake manifold. I agree that's where most of the power is, but the exhaust may need to adjust, too. Look at how the VQ30DE evolved to the VQ30DE-K. It looks like the 6th gen may have gotten rid of the dual capacity mufflers as well, no??

If I sound dis-couraging, I don't mean to. Just my 2 cents

DW

Originally posted by emax95
. . .Ok and I will again point out the fact that the Z puts down much more power then the max. Heres my question again, where is the extra 40 WHP comming from? That's RWHP mind you, typicly a FWD drive train is more efficient. . . .
Old 01-09-2003, 06:54 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: 5th gens ONLY.....

Yeah, I'da put a twenty on it.
Thanks, but without Ethan....I don't think this will happen.

Maybe Kevs' turbo project.....Hmmmmn.
Old 06-25-2003, 11:26 PM

Re: 260-270 WHP NA? Heres is the missing link(new 2004 oem max part)

Originally posted by emax02

Above is a pic of the 2004 maxima bay, it's hard to see whats under the cover but heres what nissan has listed.

Don't beleive me? You will see.

Update?

I know you gave up on the 350Z intake, but what happened to the ORIGINAL 2K4 idea?

Anything NEW up your sleeve?
Old 06-25-2003, 11:42 PM

Re: Re: 260-270 WHP NA? Heres is the missing link(new 2004 oem max part)

Update?

I know you gave up on the 350Z intake, but what happened to the ORIGINAL 2K4 idea?

350Z intake didnt fit???
Old 06-26-2003, 01:48 AM

Re: Re: Re: 260-270 WHP NA? Heres is the missing link(new 2004 oem max part)

Originally posted by 95emeraldgxe

350Z intake didnt fit???
Nope, hood needed a 4" cowl for it to fit.
Old 06-26-2003, 02:17 AM

Re: 260-270 WHP NA? Heres is the missing link(new 2004 oem max part)

Above is a pic of the 2004 maxima bay, it's hard to see whats under the cover but heres what nissan has listed.

They have the motor specs as follows:

Engine features include electronic throttle, silent timing chain, microfinished camshaft and crankshaft surfaces, molybdenum coated pistons, resin intake collector ,digital knock control system, cross flow coolant pattern and higher capacity muffler.

As you can see the intake manifold is indeed new, it no longer has the very poorly designed variable intake manifold. It now incorparates a resin intake collector . This may sound cheesy to some but it is(well should be) a big improvement over the 2002-2003 variable intake manifold. The 350Z and G35 show a 30 WHP gain using there very well designed intake manifold(thats where there extra power comes from).

So what does all this mean? It means I have a new project comming up in may With the addition of this manifold, OBX headers, Apexi S-AFC and iridium spark plugs I hope to see around 270 WHP NA and 250 WTQ. Don't beleive me? You will see.

theres headers for the 2k2, 2k3 maxima?? One more question, will the new manifold from the 2k4 fit a 2k2? Or am i confused with what you are going to do?
Old 06-26-2003, 07:39 AM
92 SE-R 02 SE

Re: Re: 260-270 WHP NA? Heres is the missing link(new 2004 oem max part)

Update?

*bump*

Old 06-26-2003, 07:59 AM

Any updates?
Old 06-26-2003, 08:25 AM
Horra!!

I definately think that if this works this should be sold as an aftermarket solution. Shyt, I'd buy it.
Old 06-26-2003, 10:15 AM

Originally posted by dwapenyi
Ummm, disagre A FWD platform is more efficient than a RWD platform in utilization of space. More efficient in putting the power down to the wheels without slipping. But more powerful? Nope. A RWD platform enables designers more room to make a better intake manifold, route a more free flowing exhaust, use a bigger and somewhat better designed tranny etc. FWD you always gotta cram things in.

Also, getting this power gain may need a look at the exhaust, too. Everyone's paying all the attention to the intake manifold. I agree that's where most of the power is, but the exhaust may need to adjust, too. Look at how the VQ30DE evolved to the VQ30DE-K. It looks like the 6th gen may have gotten rid of the dual capacity mufflers as well, no??

If I sound dis-couraging, I don't mean to. Just my 2 cents

DW

It's a bit late for me to reply to your message now, but I just noticed it. It looks like you are agreeing to disagree. I said that a Front wheel drive-train is more effiecient then a Rear wheel Drive train. What I meant by effeciency is in terms of power to the wheels. Case in point a identicaly powered motor in a FWD application will typically put more WHP down then a RWD variant. The pro's and con's of drivablitlity and engineering capability's is not at question here.

And in regards to your exhaust system statement, you are correct. However, myself and many others have allready instaled a aftermarket exhaust system. I personaly dynoed my exhaust system changes.. So discussing how a maxima reactes to a exhasut system here is rahter OT

For everyone wondering about the 2004 maxima manifold, it was a dud a long time ago, read the date on the origianal post

And sorry no new projects I would like to SC my max though.
Old 06-26-2003, 01:15 PM

For everyone wondering about the 2004 maxima manifold, it was a dud a long time ago, read the date on the origianal post
Sorry to bring this back from the dead, but I was searching for something and this caught my eye AGAIN. Anyways, why did you axe the 2K4 manifold? I thought maybe you couldn't get one at that time, so you went after the 350Z. Or was it that you decided the gain from a 2K4 manifold wouldn't be worthwhile?

And sorry no new projects I would like to SC my max though.
Talk to ATI in Texas.
Old 06-26-2003, 08:01 PM

Sorry to bring this back from the dead, but I was searching for something and this caught my eye AGAIN. Anyways, why did you axe the 2K4 manifold? I thought maybe you couldn't get one at that time, so you went after the 350Z. Or was it that you decided the gain from a 2K4 manifold wouldn't be worthwhile?

The 2004 manifold is the same as the 2002 one Just now theres a new engine cover that makes it look different.
Old 06-26-2003, 08:05 PM
OT n00bs FTMFCSL

The 2004 manifold is the same as the 2002 one Just now theres a new engine cover that makes it look different.
They have the same part number? Or they can be cross referenced and used accordingly? If so, that sucks. I was hoping for something like the Dodge/Jeep 4.7L V8 intakes (two versions...STD and HO)...
Old 06-26-2003, 08:52 PM
yeah, i donated....so?!?

here's a thought......

i'm pretty new to the maxima crowd so here's a thought.....since the 350z and the maxima essentially share the same engine, would it be possible to swap the cylinder heads of the 350z onto the max? since the max only has variable intake, but the 350z has both variable intake and exhaust, wouldn't that make the difference on power? sorry for such a dumb question, but i'm really trying to learn.

n1cK!

ps-i'm so
Old 06-27-2003, 06:33 AM

Re: here's a thought......

Originally posted by TRuFLiPpeR
i'm pretty new to the maxima crowd so here's a thought.....since the 350z and the maxima essentially share the same engine, would it be possible to swap the cylinder heads of the 350z onto the max? since the max only has variable intake, but the 350z has both variable intake and exhaust, wouldn't that make the difference on power? sorry for such a dumb question, but i'm really trying to learn.

n1cK!

ps-i'm so

Its amazing how amazing you maxima guys are. You are one of the most creative people i have seen. The TL people are always scared to do anything to their car. I told my friend about the GAB, and he told be all kinds of BS why TL people dont do it.... because it hurts the car. What a bunch of losers. All these ideas are very creative and insure that we will get the most out of our cars.

So whats the update on the manifold from the 2k4?
Old 06-27-2003, 06:42 AM
VQ Wizard

Re: here's a thought......

Originally posted by TRuFLiPpeR

n1cK!

ps-i'm so
These questions have been answered long ago. The heads are the same part number. The Maxima/Altima intake and exhaust cams both change in timing just like the ones on the 350Z although the ECU parameters might be a little different. The only thing different on the 350Z engine worth mentioning is the intake manifold which is a single stage design whereas the Maxima intake has two stages. The Maxima makes more low end torque than the Z and it shows on the track.
Old 06-27-2003, 09:59 AM
yeah, i donated....so?!?

Re: Re: here's a thought......

Originally posted by SR20DEN

These questions have been answered long ago. The heads are the same part number. The Maxima/Altima intake and exhaust cams both change in timing just like the ones on the 350Z although the ECU parameters might be a little different. The only thing different on the 350Z engine worth mentioning is the intake manifold which is a single stage design whereas the Maxima intake has two stages. The Maxima makes more low end torque than the Z and it shows on the track.
i was reading this post and i must've missed it, oops. but whoa, i didn't know that the maxima was the same with both intake AND exhaust cams bothing changing in timing! i thought that was only a feature on the 350z (which is why it has so much more power). but now i see (but not really understanding) how all this power is coming from a single stage manifold...so would the ecu parameters, such as ignition timing and fuel delivery, be that much more different on the z than on the max? well, if it is and the ecu's aren't swappable, looks like the max can really benefit from something like an S-AFC. are the injectors the same also? looks like i need to do some more research! thanks for pointing it out sr20den!

n1cK!