5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Nisan Quality? will I see it?

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2003, 01:33 PM

Nisan Quality? will I see it?

I have a 2000 Maxima GLE.

So far I am pretty disappointed in the quality of the vehicle compared to my friends who own competing cars in the class.

If I add up the problems I have had with the Maxima:

brake rotor
TCM
scratch on bumper
wind noise
squeaky windows
rattles

and compare to my friends who own Passat and Acura TL - I'm wondering if my Maxima is really in the same class or just a pretender.

Now it is possible i am slightly more picky about my car than my friends - but judging by posts here I don't think so - a lot of Maxima enthusiasts like the performance but seem to live with poor quality vehicles.

This is my first Nissan - can I expect long-term this will average out to be a very reliable vehicle (I compared closely Nissan quality to others as a whole and it seemed to compare favorably with Toyota and Honda) or for the rest of my ownership will I constantly face annoying little problems.

Just curious to know what Maxima enthusiasts thinks and what their first hand experience has been.

I will say, that I like the way my Maxima drives compared to the others in the same class - just a little disappointed in the quality (especially considering it has been Nissan's flagship auto for the last decade).
Old 01-07-2003, 01:52 PM
The silent but deadly Moderator

errr, if your friend loves his Passat, then he's very lucky. Lots of electrical problems from what I've read.

the TL is a better car, but is having almost the same tranny issues.

It's a toss up. The TL is more expensive. The Passat has a much higher cost of ownership. The max is still the better value, even considering our issues and lack of service.
Old 01-07-2003, 03:29 PM

Everything TimW said...

I would like to add..the TLs has a far superior interior as far as material quality goes...Did I mention they kiss his assss at the dealer too....?