5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

So anyway my wheel fell off

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2003, 10:52 PM

So anyway my wheel fell off

Yup, my bad luck, I heard this noise, and stoped twiece to see what it was, checked the tire, coilover, s/c, everything i could think would make noise.

Got back on the highway, cuz it went away on the off roads, and came back, keept getting worse and I'm praying to god to give me a break, pull over again, and 5 feet inside an amaco, BOOOOOOOOOOOOOM thought the tire was gone...Nope wheel stud broke, striped other 4 lugs and fell in bending the fender the inner fender, bending and cutting up the inside of the wheel and landing on the 13" brake rotor.
Old 01-09-2003, 10:57 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: So anyway my wheel fell off

Originally posted by max'n out
Yup, my bad luck, I heard this noise, and stoped twiece to see what it was, checked the tire, coilover, s/c, everything i could think would make noise.

Got back on the highway, cuz it went away on the off roads, and came back, keept getting worse and I'm praying to god to give me a break, pull over again, and 5 feet inside an amaco, BOOOOOOOOOOOOOM thought the tire was gone...Nope wheel stud broke, striped other 4 lugs and fell in bending the fender the inner fender, bending and cutting up the inside of the wheel and landing on the 13" brake rotor.
Holy crap! Good thing you werent at highway speeds when that happened and good to see you're alive!!
Old 01-09-2003, 10:59 PM

Re: Re: So anyway my wheel fell off

Originally posted by Y2KSESteve

Holy crap! Good thing you werent at highway speeds when that happened and good to see you're alive!!
Yeah could have been worse, I was at 110 when I first heard it, and at first I thought it was the road. What worse is I think sombody tried to still the wheel and thats why.
Old 01-09-2003, 11:01 PM

Re: So anyway my wheel fell off

what could of caused your wheel to fall off like that
Old 01-09-2003, 11:03 PM

Re: Re: So anyway my wheel fell off

Originally posted by K Pazzo 6

what could of caused your wheel to fall off like that
Thats the question, I'm thinking sombody got the one wheel lock and that put stress on the other 4, but it's just a basic theory.

But one could have striped, the brake kit causing heat, who knows...ONe stud broke and the rest failed. ****ing nissan. What more can I say.
Old 01-09-2003, 11:06 PM

Damn! Sorry to here that.
Old 01-09-2003, 11:42 PM
The silent but deadly Moderator

I was checking out my bro's SHO last weekend. he has locks on his new wheels. I noticed a few lugs loose, not even hand tight. He was like damn, I just tightened those.

When he got his key out, he also had an original lug there. So, we decided to compare. It became obvious why his locking lugs were backing off on their own. There was too much play in the threads. Even when the lug was all the way on (but not tight), it would wobble when pushed. However, the OEM lug would not. Its clear that that OEM lug was making ALOT more thread contact.

Given everything I've seen with locking lugs backing off, it might not be a good idea to use all 5. Or make sure that the brand you choose fits on the threads properly. I'm pretty sure my bro had Gorillas :/ All of them were like this.
Old 01-10-2003, 12:11 AM

Originally posted by TimW
I was checking out my bro's SHO last weekend. he has locks on his new wheels. I noticed a few lugs loose, not even hand tight. He was like damn, I just tightened those.

When he got his key out, he also had an original lug there. So, we decided to compare. It became obvious why his locking lugs were backing off on their own. There was too much play in the threads. Even when the lug was all the way on (but not tight), it would wobble when pushed. However, the OEM lug would not. Its clear that that OEM lug was making ALOT more thread contact.

Given everything I've seen with locking lugs backing off, it might not be a good idea to use all 5. Or make sure that the brand you choose fits on the threads properly. I'm pretty sure my bro had Gorillas :/ All of them were like this.
Thats kinda the same thing the AAA guy had said, but they where very tight. I checked everything b4 I left. Only thing I can think of is that maybe I put them on too tight, which makes it suck all the more since I have no one to blame. But I still think sombody may have done somthing, since I have 4 locks and the spacer, i think it's odd that one is just gone, I even have the one that the bolt came off in. who knows, all in all, it sucks. I'm hopfull the insurance will cover it all, but I doubt it.
Old 01-10-2003, 12:59 AM
Eat Naaawwwzzzzz

well...same thing happened to my friend...at a bowling alley...we left home and a mile later... clunk....clunk...every rotation...

they were getting jacked...but there was one lug they couldnt get off..the clunking got worse...we drove ome at like 5 mph and found the lugs to be loose. The lugs had 5 indentations in them..as in..the thiefs used a sort of gripping device...
Old 01-10-2003, 04:33 AM
It's chrome alright...

Re: Re: Re: So anyway my wheel fell off

Thats the question, I'm thinking sombody got the one wheel lock and that put stress on the other 4, but it's just a basic theory.

But one could have striped, the brake kit causing heat, who knows...ONe stud broke and the rest failed. ****ing nissan. What more can I say.
Good you didn't get hurt. You can fix a car.

BUT why are you hating nissan? You think someone did something to it and that's nissan's fault? If it really is that "one stud broke and the rest failed" then I can maybe see blaming nissan but if someone was messing around, you don't know what they did to cause this failure... especially if they got a few loose or put a lot of stress on them trying to get them off and then you went 110 on a part that's been compromised.
Old 01-10-2003, 05:45 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: So anyway my wheel fell off

Originally posted by 2k2wannabe

Good you didn't get hurt. You can fix a car.

BUT why are you hating nissan? You think someone did something to it and that's nissan's fault? If it really is that "one stud broke and the rest failed" then I can maybe see blaming nissan but if someone was messing around, you don't know what they did to cause this failure... especially if they got a few loose or put a lot of stress on them trying to get them off and then you went 110 on a part that's been compromised.
I'm just generely upset thats all. And if memory serves nissan had something with bad wheel studs at one point, but that may be one other company. It's just frustrating. Insurance is ulikily to cover it. All of it together is just really pooy.
Old 01-10-2003, 08:21 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Sounds like you didn't use a torque wrench to put them on. Also note that when you put new wheels on the lugs will loosen over 20 or so miles then you should re torque them. Not sure if this is the cause or scenario for what happened just trying to help. Anyway im glad no one was hurt.
Old 01-10-2003, 08:24 AM

Originally posted by SVTTODAMAX
Sounds like you didn't use a torque wrench to put them on. Also note that when you put new wheels on the lugs will loosen over 20 or so miles then you should re torque them. Not sure if this is the cause or scenario for what happened just trying to help. Anyway im glad no one was hurt.
No I didn't use a t.w. and should have. They have been on for years, and never been a problem. I still think sombody was messin with it.
Old 01-10-2003, 11:34 AM

if you had used a torque wrench, they probably would have been more loose. 85 ft/lbs doesnt feel tight to me at all.. But anything more will warp your rotors :/ I've never had a loose lug at 85 tho.

Btw, my bro had McGuards, not Gorilla.
Old 01-10-2003, 02:12 PM

BTW

I think its great you can still keep a cool head about you.... I dont know too many other people who would react that way.

Brian
Old 01-10-2003, 05:21 PM

That reminds me of the movie Changing Lanes when Ben Affleck's wheel falls off on the highway because Samuel L. Jackson lossened his lug nuts. That is some scary sh*t.
Old 01-10-2003, 07:11 PM

Glad you werent hurt, and no accident happeend or anything.

Hehe, the title of the thread is pretty funny...i dunno, im just easily humored...
Old 01-10-2003, 11:36 PM

Re: Re: Re: So anyway my wheel fell off

Dude sorry to hear about that, and glad ur ok but this has very little chance of anything to do with nissan, that has to be caused by "human error" im not pointing the finger at u, but some1 somewere along the line did something wrong. maybe some1 tried to jack the rims and left a few nuts loose? (ive had that happen be4 )
Old 01-10-2003, 11:43 PM

I think the moral to the story here is being very careful using 5 locking lugs.. and if you do use locking lugs (or any non-OEM lug), be sure the thread is right, the seat is correct and doesnt wobble on the stud. I guess those one size fits all lugs have alittle extra tolerance in the thread gap.

Of course, it could have been a theft attempt, but I cant count the number of loose locking lugs I've seen when more than one lock per wheel is used.
Old 01-11-2003, 06:58 PM

Thanks guys. I'll never really know just what caused it but I do know a few things. The nuts where not lose, cuz they striped off the bolts. 4 of the lugs where still in the wheel, one was missing, and the spacer behind it was right by the wheel when i picked it up/ got it out from under. So with that, it's hard for me to think they where lose, when all the remaining studs where striped, and one of the 4 remaining lug nuts had the broken bolt in it.