5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Dim SES Light...A few Questions...Please Help

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2003, 10:07 AM

Dim SES Light...A few Questions...Please Help

I know I know..SEARCH

I did that already but couldn't find what I was looking for. I have the dim SES light on my 2k2 GLE. I am going to call the Nissan dealer today and schedule an appointment to get it fixed.

For the people that have gotten it fixed: what do they do? do they replace the whole entire cluster including the gauges?

I read somewhere there is a Nissan Technical Bulletin on this? Where would I find this? I tried their website and I tried this site http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/problems/recalls/Rec4.cfm
Can someone please point me in the direction on where to find it?

Thanks!

By the way, I shouldn't be worrying about this but can I take this to my advantage and get the SE gauges instead? I have a GLE and I would like the SE titanium faced gauges a lot better.
Old 01-11-2003, 10:44 AM

Re: Dim SES Light...A few Questions...Please Help

Hi,

I had the same problem on my 03 SE.

They said that they had to replace the entire instrument cluster and had to have a nissan tech verify everything to adjust the mileage.

The entire process took about a week (over that Christmas week). I was able to call Nissan, and they were great!!! They gave me a rental for the entire week!! Thay did say that I got the rental only because it was only a month old.

Good Luck!!
Old 01-11-2003, 12:39 PM

Thanks for the info.

What should I do first? Call 1-800-Nissan1 or contact my dealer?

Also, do you know or does anyone know where the technical bulletin is on this?
Old 01-11-2003, 11:20 PM

bump.

Anyone?
Old 01-12-2003, 07:28 AM

Originally posted by GLE02NJ
Thanks for the info.

What should I do first? Call 1-800-Nissan1 or contact my dealer?

Also, do you know or does anyone know where the technical bulletin is on this?
I called Nissan1 first. Doesn't hurt to try!!
Old 01-13-2003, 04:48 PM

Have the dealer call the Tech Support Line at Nissan...they know about this problem. I had same deal and had it fixed by a cluster replacement. The writer actually saw the light in daylight (amazing!) and called in on it. Nissan verified the faulty clusters. They set the mileage before shipping the cluster. In my case, they took two weeks to get the cluster, so when they installed it, the mileage actually read 1100 miles less than actual. When I mentioned that to the writer he smiled and said "Don't worry about it, it's in your favor".

If you liked the SE guages, why didn't you just buy a loaded SE???
Old 01-13-2003, 04:56 PM

Originally posted by Tripower

I called today and they told me to go to my dealer and they said they have to change it. I scheduled an appointment for Jan 25th.

I didn't buy a loaded SE because the GLE suspension is much softer.
Old 01-14-2003, 03:38 PM

Re: Dim SES Light...A few Questions...Please Help

Originally posted by GLE02NJ
I know I know..SEARCH

I did that already but couldn't find what I was looking for. I have the dim SES light on my 2k2 GLE. I am going to call the Nissan dealer today and schedule an appointment to get it fixed.

For the people that have gotten it fixed: what do they do? do they replace the whole entire cluster including the gauges?

I read somewhere there is a Nissan Technical Bulletin on this? Where would I find this? I tried their website and I tried this site http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/problems/recalls/Rec4.cfm
Can someone please point me in the direction on where to find it?

Thanks!

By the way, I shouldn't be worrying about this but can I take this to my advantage and get the SE gauges instead? I have a GLE and I would like the SE titanium faced gauges a lot better.
Hey GLE don't worry about it to much. I have a 2K2 GLE as well and had it replaced last October I believe. They ordered the part and installed it in one day. I don't know why it would take a week for some other people.

As for the SE gauges...I don't think they'll be allowed to do that but you can give it your best shot.

I personally just went straight to the dealer and they knew of the problem beforehand so try that first. Hope everything works out well.
Old 01-14-2003, 03:49 PM

I had the dealer look at it in October but they said they had to call NNA. I didn't care because it really didn't bother me. Then I called back for another appt in Dec and they said since the part wasn't ordered the last time, I had to bring it in again for diagnosis and THEN they ordered the part.

I've been waiting about 2 - 3 weeks for it

I called NNA about it and they said the dealer doesn't have any choice on the matter as far as ordering the part in advance. I wonder how the other people got theirs done in 45 minutes? Mine is now gonna be 3 trips to the dealer....like I don't have anything better to do.
Old 01-15-2003, 09:29 AM

Dim SES light

I had this problem. Dealership replaced the whole cluster without any hazitation. Took them about 2 weeks to get the part.
Old 01-15-2003, 09:37 AM

Originally posted by Tripower
Have the dealer call the Tech Support Line at Nissan...they know about this problem. I had same deal and had it fixed by a cluster replacement. The writer actually saw the light in daylight (amazing!) and called in on it. Nissan verified the faulty clusters. They set the mileage before shipping the cluster. In my case, they took two weeks to get the cluster, so when they installed it, the mileage actually read 1100 miles less than actual. When I mentioned that to the writer he smiled and said "Don't worry about it, it's in your favor".

Same thing happened to me, lucky us, our warranties are now extended!!!