5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

? for more horsepower on a 2k2 auto

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2003, 09:55 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

? for more horsepower on a 2k2 auto

I will have some money for some mods soon and need some opinions. I have a 2k2 auto. Heres the mods i have in mind.

1. Injen CAI
2. Warpseed Y and B pipes
3. Racing Straight pipe from custommaxima.com

I think that these 3 mods are almost the only performace upgrades other than the UDP for a 2k2. Does anyone have any experience with these? What kind of gains would be expected? Should I install these all at the same time and see if i recognize the difference or install them as i receive them?
Old 01-20-2003, 10:04 PM

Re: ? for more horsepower on a 2k2 auto

Originally posted by GoldMember
I will have some money for some mods soon and need some opinions. I have a 2k2 auto. Heres the mods i have in mind.

1. Injen CAI
2. Warpseed Y and B pipes
3. Racing Straight pipe from custommaxima.com

I think that these 3 mods are almost the only performace upgrades other than the UDP for a 2k2. Does anyone have any experience with these? What kind of gains would be expected? Should I install these all at the same time and see if i recognize the difference or install them as i receive them?
I would highly recommend the Frankencar intake with Apexi filter over the injen. I've had both. other than that the Y-pipe, cat-back, and test pipe is about all you've got so far. You'll notice the difference with each mod, the intake and Y-pipe especially.
Old 01-20-2003, 10:10 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

i was planning a similar mod except i was going to use the Place racing CAI, do you think the Frankencar is better??

Also, i'm not getting the racing pipe, i would rather do a CATTMAN catback system.
Old 01-20-2003, 11:14 PM

Originally posted by ToasterMax
i was planning a similar mod except i was going to use the Place racing CAI, do you think the Frankencar is better??

Also, i'm not getting the racing pipe, i would rather do a CATTMAN catback system.
I dont know about the PR intake, but some people swear by it. I personally would rather not drill a hole into my fender, so yes I think its better. I also have the Cattman catback and I love it. Great exhaust tone, not harsh at all, and not as loud as the Greddy.
Old 01-20-2003, 11:30 PM

i assumed that the hole was drilled into the wheel well and not the fender, is that correct??
Old 01-21-2003, 07:37 AM
wat

I have Y and B pipes...intake and rear section as well as UDP. High flow cat and coming soon...125 shot NOS. I can't think of much more as far as HP goes. Supposedly Turbos and Superchargers are on the way (2007 or something).
Old 01-21-2003, 08:20 AM
Not DAVEB the parts guy

With the high fatality rate of MAF sensors in 2k2+ Maximas with intake systems, I would suggest saving your money and headaches and modify your stock airbox. By modify I mean cut open portions of the lower airbox (below the filter), remove the intake resonators, and run a higher flow filter panel. Do a search on "hacked air box" in the 4th gen forums to see what I'm talking about. I know that some of the quicker 2k2+ Maximas are using stock intakes.

Don't waste your money on a straight pipe. Most likely it will throw a constant CEL and you'll gain VERY little power (1-2hp). Cats are not restrictive.

You can't go wrong with a Y-pipe and B-pipe. The gains are there though the gains are not quite as strong as the 95-01 Y/B-pipes.

I suggest hacking your stock air box, buy a y-pipe and UDP, and replace the crush bend in the stock B-pipe. With the money you save from buying other mods, put it towards LIGHTER weight rims. Lighter rims will give you better acceleration, braking, handling, plus better looks.

Dave
Old 01-21-2003, 11:37 PM

I was under the impression that the high MAF failure rate was due to using the K&N oil charged filters. Is this correct?? How many 2002+ drivers are getting MAF problems with intakes?? Is this a serious problem??
Old 01-22-2003, 05:24 AM
wat

It is a serious problem and while most people attribute it to an over oiled filter, I don't really think anyone has figured out the exact causes.
Old 01-22-2003, 06:45 AM

I will get the Frankencar intake this spring along with the Y/B pipe. Hopefully using the 01 MAF in the 02 like Emax is doing will resolve the problem. If it works, I will buy the 01 MAF and install it the sametime when I put in the intake.
Old 01-22-2003, 07:41 AM
Sold 2 99Silvermist SE :)

hmmm

ok ....
after intake (injen), greddy catback, warpspeed Y, and UDP...besides nos what is next for more power????
Old 01-22-2003, 01:50 PM

Re: hmmm

Originally posted by 2k2PhatMax
ok ....
after intake (injen), greddy catback, warpspeed Y, and UDP...besides nos what is next for more power????
A test pipe.
Old 01-22-2003, 02:24 PM

Re: hmmm

Originally posted by 2k2PhatMax
ok ....
What kind of transmission do you have? I couldn't tell. You could help out your clutch/flywheel set up next, or if your auto a VB mod. Do they have VB mods for 2k2's yet? I'm not sure
Old 01-22-2003, 04:06 PM
Sold 2 99Silvermist SE :)

Re: Re: hmmm

Originally posted by pezking4

What kind of transmission do you have? I couldn't tell. You could help out your clutch/flywheel set up next, or if your auto a VB mod. Do they have VB mods for 2k2's yet? I'm not sure
i have a 6 spd....
test pipe... i didnt wanna go that route b/c of y pipe and loudness
Old 01-22-2003, 09:58 PM

Originally posted by ICULookN
I will get the Frankencar intake this spring along with the Y/B pipe. Hopefully using the 01 MAF in the 02 like Emax is doing will resolve the problem. If it works, I will buy the 01 MAF and install it the sametime when I put in the intake.
will using a 01 MAF negatively affect an 02's performance??
Old 01-22-2003, 10:55 PM

Originally posted by Dave B
With the high fatality rate of MAF sensors in 2k2+ Maximas with intake systems, I would suggest saving your money and headaches and modify your stock airbox. By modify I mean cut open portions of the lower airbox (below the filter), remove the intake resonators, and run a higher flow filter panel. Do a search on "hacked air box" in the 4th gen forums to see what I'm talking about. I know that some of the quicker 2k2+ Maximas are using stock intakes.

Don't waste your money on a straight pipe. Most likely it will throw a constant CEL and you'll gain VERY little power (1-2hp). Cats are not restrictive.

You can't go wrong with a Y-pipe and B-pipe. The gains are there though the gains are not quite as strong as the 95-01 Y/B-pipes.

I suggest hacking your stock air box, buy a y-pipe and UDP, and replace the crush bend in the stock B-pipe. With the money you save from buying other mods, put it towards LIGHTER weight rims. Lighter rims will give you better acceleration, braking, handling, plus better looks.

Dave
does the hacking of the airbox make the sound any different? better?
Old 01-23-2003, 11:45 PM

Originally posted by slickrick

does the hacking of the airbox make the sound any different? better?
Makes it growl pretty good. But if your car is under warranty and you go in for some work....they may not like that much.
Old 01-24-2003, 10:03 AM

Originally posted by Y2KSESteve

Makes it growl pretty good. But if your car is under warranty and you go in for some work....they may not like that much.
thats why im hesitant to do it. how much more hp/tq does it give to the wheels if i do decide to do it?
Old 01-24-2003, 12:04 PM

thats why im hesitant to do it. how much more hp/tq does it give to the wheels if i do decide to do it?
Couldnt tell ya the numbers off hand, but I do know it puts out more hp/tq than any other intake out there. Especially if you take out the resonator and route a cold air tube to the opening.
Old 01-24-2003, 01:12 PM

Couldnt tell ya the numbers off hand, but I do know it puts out more hp/tq than any other intake out there. Especially if you take out the resonator and route a cold air tube to the opening.
ok. will this affect how reliable the car will be in 4 years. by doing the intake mod will my car breakdown faster than if i leave it stock. because i would not like to mess with my car if it will make it less reliable.
Old 01-24-2003, 01:13 PM

ok. will this affect how reliable the car will be in 4 years. by doing the intake mod will my car breakdown faster than if i leave it stock. because i would not like to mess with my car if it will make it less reliable.
I have absolutely no idea. This mod hasnt been out for that long I dont think, I could be wrong. So needless to say I doubt anyone has had it on for 4 years, so its really tough to say.
Old 01-24-2003, 01:17 PM

I have absolutely no idea. This mod hasnt been out for that long I dont think, I could be wrong. So needless to say I doubt anyone has had it on for 4 years, so its really tough to say.
ok. ill just run stock for now.