5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Learned something about the outside temperature display in my 2K2

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2003, 08:18 AM

Learned something about the outside temperature display in my 2K2

It won't display temperatures below -30C!

I was out at the movies a couple of nights ago and as I was going home I noticed that the temperature display just read ---. I thought that maybe it just wasn't registering for some reason. Then yesterday morning when I headed out to go to work (car is parked in garage) the temp. display read -18C. As I took the car outside and headed to work I watched the temperature start to fall. -20....-22....-25......-29......., and then from -29 it went to the --- display again. The actual outside temperature (heard it on the radio) was -39C.

I guess maybe Nissan didn't expect anybody to drive the Max in such horrible temperatures!
Old 01-23-2003, 08:25 AM
It's chrome alright...

Re: Learned something about the outside temperature display in my 2K2

holy crap that's cold! I was guessing you're from canada and verified it when I saw "curling" in your profile/interests. Is AB Alberta?

Originally posted by BigFly_2K2SE

I was out at the movies a couple of nights ago and as I was going home I noticed that the temperature display just read ---. I thought that maybe it just wasn't registering for some reason. Then yesterday morning when I headed out to go to work (car is parked in garage) the temp. display read -18C. As I took the car outside and headed to work I watched the temperature start to fall. -20....-22....-25......-29......., and then from -29 it went to the --- display again. The actual outside temperature (heard it on the radio) was -39C.

I guess maybe Nissan didn't expect anybody to drive the Max in such horrible temperatures!
Old 01-23-2003, 08:26 AM

Re: Learned something about the outside temperature display in my 2K2

Man, that is cold where you live!! Where do u reside? I'm glad to hear your Max is having no problems with the very cold weather...by the way, in that ultra cold weather, are u experiencing many squeaking/rattling problems from the dash?
Old 01-23-2003, 08:39 AM

Yes, AB is Alberta

Originally posted by 2k2wannabe
holy crap that's cold! I was guessing you're from canada and verified it when I saw "curling" in your profile/interests. Is AB Alberta?

I live in the northern part of Alberta too! The wind chill last night was -47.
Old 01-23-2003, 08:44 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Man think of all the HP that dense air gives the VQ. About the only thing it's good for. They have any drag strips open up there?
Old 01-23-2003, 08:49 AM

Re: Re: Learned something about the outside temperature display in my 2K2

Originally posted by Maxalltheway

Man, that is cold where you live!! Where do u reside? I'm glad to hear your Max is having no problems with the very cold weather...by the way, in that ultra cold weather, are u experiencing many squeaking/rattling problems from the dash?
The max is really nice in this weather, especially with the heated seats and steering wheel! The whole car seems to squeak/rattle a fair amount in these temperatures, but it's not too bad. Also, every once in a while I hear a loud, almost banging sound coming from the side of the car. It almost sounds like something hitting the car, but I know nothing is and it only happens in the cold weather. Maybe just something expanding / contracting as the inside of the car heats up. The only other thing I have noticed is that the clutch and gear shift are really stiff in these temperatures. But these are just little things that I would expect from any car in this weather.
Old 01-23-2003, 08:51 AM

HEy guys how to change from F to C ?
Old 01-23-2003, 08:54 AM
It's chrome alright...

Originally posted by Neeferea
HEy guys how to change from F to C ?
C / 100 - (F - 31) / 180

so it's about -39 F, too, or another way to say it - "it's insta-snot-freeze weather"
Old 01-23-2003, 08:56 AM

What kind of gas mileage do you get with that cold of a weather?
Old 01-23-2003, 08:56 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

C / 100 - (F - 31) / 180

so it's about -39 F, too, or another way to say it - "it's insta-snot-freeze weather"
You know it's cold when you spit and it bounces
And then you know not to
Old 01-23-2003, 09:18 AM

conversion

F=(9/5)*C + 32
C=(5*(F-32))/9
Old 01-23-2003, 09:21 AM

Originally posted by maximaman777
Man think of all the HP that dense air gives the VQ. About the only thing it's good for. They have any drag strips open up there?
It's pretty tough to nail a launch in a foot of snow! The roads are all snow covered right now too so I can't even open it up on the highway without spinning the tires!
Old 01-23-2003, 09:24 AM

Originally posted by bahkhok
What kind of gas mileage do you get with that cold of a weather?
Once the car warms up the mileage is about the same as during any other weather, but during the first 5 minutes of running the max is pretty thirsty. If all you ever took was short trips in this weather I think you probably only get about 10-12 MPG.
Old 01-23-2003, 09:31 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Re: conversion

Originally posted by Hraesvelg
F=(9/5)*C + 32
C=(5*(F-32))/9
I think what my man meant is how do you change your display in the Max from F to C. I would like to know too.
Old 01-23-2003, 09:33 AM

DUDE, how do you live in such climate man? HOLY CRAP!. I'm getting the chills just reading that number! You gotta hate it. It's going to be 9F tonight here, so i'm guessing it'll be spring-like for you. My God. You got one of those wall plugs sticking out of the engine bay so you can plug it in at night for the block heater? Dang! That's hardcore. I'd hate it just because you can't see a single good looking babe from Fall to spring. They're all wearing eskimo clothes.
Old 01-23-2003, 09:44 AM
It's chrome alright...

Re: Re: conversion

Originally posted by MrCollegeGuy

I think what my man meant is how do you change your display in the Max from F to C. I would like to know too.
I thought it came from the factory either F or C, and you can't change it. Wasn't there a TSB about Canadian cars making it to the US by mistake, so people in US were getting cars that had metric gauges?
Old 01-23-2003, 09:47 AM

Re: Re: Re: conversion

I thought it came from the factory either F or C, and you can't change it. Wasn't there a TSB about Canadian cars making it to the US by mistake, so people in US were getting cars that had metric gauges?

Oh, oh. Nevermind then.
Old 01-23-2003, 09:51 AM

It's not usually quite this cold. This time of year the average is about -15C (5F) during the day and about -25C (-13F) at night. The block heater cord is usually hanging out the front of most cars around here from about November to April. The other bad thing about this time of year is that we only get daylight for about 6-7 hours per day. It's nice in the summer though......you can golf until midnight!
Old 01-23-2003, 10:12 AM
Banned

Re: Re: Re: conversion

To see metric, switch your trip computer to display the temp., and then press and hold the "Mode" button, and it will toggle between Celsius and Fahrenheit.
Old 01-23-2003, 10:54 AM
It's chrome alright...

Re: Re: Re: Re: conversion

Originally posted by vito1281

To see metric, switch your trip computer to display the temp., and then press and hold the "Mode" button, and it will toggle between Celsius and Fahrenheit.
is that in the owner's manual? I can't find it.
Old 01-23-2003, 11:02 AM
Banned

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: conversion

is that in the owner's manual? I can't find it.
I'm pretty sure it is. If not, I must've found that out by just playing around with it. I'll take a look at my owner's manual tonight, and see if I can give you page number.
Old 01-23-2003, 11:10 AM
It's chrome alright...

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: conversion

I'm pretty sure it is. If not, I must've found that out by just playing around with it. I'll take a look at my owner's manual tonight, and see if I can give you page number.
thanks... I have a pdf version of the owner's manual and looked around/searched and didn't see it.

that's kind of a neat feature.
Old 01-23-2003, 11:13 AM
Banned

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: conversion

thanks... I have a pdf version of the owner's manual and looked around/searched and didn't see it.

that's kind of a neat feature.
Yeh, it's neat. And the other good thing about it is that it's actually ACCURATE, unlike the MPG indicator. I sometimes drive by those clock/temp towers (a lot of banks have those), and they always display a temp +/- 1 deg. F from what's showing on my display.

I always use it to gauge how much ice there may be on the road--I'm in Boston, so it's been MAD cold here lately.
Old 01-23-2003, 11:20 AM
It's chrome alright...

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: conversion

NH here... and like BigFly_2K2SE said, all hail heated seats and the steering wheel.

Yeh, it's neat. And the other good thing about it is that it's actually ACCURATE, unlike the MPG indicator. I sometimes drive by those clock/temp towers (a lot of banks have those), and they always display a temp +/- 1 deg. F from what's showing on my display.

I always use it to gauge how much ice there may be on the road--I'm in Boston, so it's been MAD cold here lately.
Old 01-23-2003, 11:46 AM

Thanks for that info, I'll have to try that when I go home tonight.....I didn't know you could do that. Do you know if there is any way to switch the average speed from km/h to mi/h or the gas mileage from L/100km to MPG?
Old 01-23-2003, 11:51 AM
Banned

Thanks for that info, I'll have to try that when I go home tonight.....I didn't know you could do that. Do you know if there is any way to switch the average speed from km/h to mi/h or the gas mileage from L/100km to MPG?
I don't think you can change the avg. speed or fuel consumption reading. Holding down the MODE button will simply reset those counters, but the units of measurement stay the same. Unless someone else knows a way of doing it, I'm pretty sure it's not possible.
Old 01-23-2003, 01:36 PM

It's not usually quite this cold. This time of year the average is about -15C (5F) during the day and about -25C (-13F) at night. The block heater cord is usually hanging out the front of most cars around here from about November to April. The other bad thing about this time of year is that we only get daylight for about 6-7 hours per day. It's nice in the summer though......you can golf until midnight!
whats the weather like in summer? id love to play golf all day. and what exactly does a block heater do?
Old 01-23-2003, 01:50 PM

I have a quick unrelated question......what tire/wheel setup are you running in those conditions? Snows? Stock?
Old 01-23-2003, 01:58 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Re: Re: Re: Learned something about the outside temperature display in my 2K2

Also, every once in a while I hear a loud, almost banging sound coming from the side of the car. It almost sounds like something hitting the car, but I know nothing is and it only happens in the cold weather.
I had this happen to me yesterday. We are getting some of that Canada air here in the northeast(NJ), its been around 15-19F. I was driving and it sounded like someone hit me with a snowball, but there is no snow on the ground. I even stopped and checked the side of my car.

Anyone else experience this?
Old 01-23-2003, 02:06 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: conversion

Oh yeah, its cold. I read 1 degree Fahrenheit in Waltham last night. The heated steering wheel and seats are good this time of year! but the damn heated seats arn't hot enought for me. Anyone have the circuit diagram for the heated seats so we can rig it up to have like 5 settings like the Passats? I want my butt roasting!
Old 01-23-2003, 02:09 PM
Banned

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: conversion

Originally posted by FrankY2K2

Oh yeah, its cold. I read 1 degree Fahrenheit in Waltham last night. The heated steering wheel and seats are good this time of year! but the damn heated seats arn't hot enought for me. Anyone have the circuit diagram for the heated seats so we can rig it up to have like 5 settings like the Passats? I want my butt roasting!
Yeh, I also wish that the heated seats were a little toastier. Even on Hi setting, it's still not enough sometimes. The steering wheel, on the other hand, gets HOT (right before it turns off, and pulses).

By the way, does the driver's side warm up the lower back portion of the seat, or just the butt?

Also, we should have a 2002/3 Max meet in Boston somewhere!
Old 01-23-2003, 02:22 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: conversion

Yeh, I also wish that the heated seats were a little toastier. Even on Hi setting, it's still not enough sometimes. The steering wheel, on the other hand, gets HOT (right before it turns off, and pulses).

By the way, does the driver's side warm up the lower back portion of the seat, or just the butt?

The heated seats only fire up on your butt, no lower back. My old volvo had lower back, and it felt goood! =D

If we do hold a meet, lets hold one in an empty parking lot when its snowing.
Old 01-23-2003, 03:44 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Learned something about the outside temperature display in my 2K2

Originally posted by Titanium2k3

I had this happen to me yesterday. We are getting some of that Canada air here in the northeast(NJ), its been around 15-19F. I was driving and it sounded like someone hit me with a snowball, but there is no snow on the ground. I even stopped and checked the side of my car.

Anyone else experience this?
That's EXACTLY what it sounded like to me too.....just like a snowball or something hitting the side of the car. Anybody have any ideas?
Old 01-23-2003, 04:01 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: conversion

I think you will find there are a lot of people on the 'org who live around Boston

And as for the temperatures around here...I think Canada anexed New England... Remote starter was such a great investment this winter!!!
Old 01-23-2003, 04:10 PM

hey, did it read like this: "---"

This happened to me but it was because it was too hot. This was in August in Death Valley, CA. No, I didn't bring my car there but we rented another 2k2 Maxima there (my choice ). I think it doesnt register after 135*F because I read 134 but never read 135. Here's one pic:

Old 01-23-2003, 04:20 PM
vqman

Originally posted by sorcereur

that's nice...

how'd you do that?

-vq

Old 01-23-2003, 04:22 PM
vqman

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: conversion

Originally posted by formas

Remote starter was such a great investment this winter!!!
was like -3 this morning..and 17 this afternoon when I got off work...I wish like HELL i had a remote starter...

-vq

Old 01-23-2003, 04:28 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: conversion

Originally posted by VQMAN

was like -3 this morning..and 17 this afternoon when I got off work...I wish like HELL i had a remote starter...

-vq
$300 installed for mine, 1000ft range. It's a Crime Stopper addon starter.

The place I had it done sells it for $210 installed, but I had to pay another $40 because of the engine immobilizer, and another $50 to get the remote programmed to replace the factory remote. I love it in the mornings, but I can't start my car remotely for the ride home...that is where the heated seats/steering wheel come in handy.
Old 01-23-2003, 04:52 PM

Are you sure this works? I tried it on my way home from work tonight and I can only get it to display C....it won't go to F.
Old 01-23-2003, 04:57 PM
Banned

Are you sure this works? I tried it on my way home from work tonight and I can only get it to display C....it won't go to F.
I'm pretty sure--I forgot to try it on the way home. You're in Canada right? So perhaps they have a different option in this case. In my 2003 Owner's Manual, the description is on page 2-33.

I really hope I didn't get this mixed up, but when I initially posted, I could've sworn I tried it before and it worked.

Can someone verify? It's too cold to go outside

Quick Reply: Learned something about the outside temperature display in my 2K2