5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Learned something about the outside temperature display in my 2K2

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2003, 05:06 PM

Originally posted by slickrick

whats the weather like in summer? id love to play golf all day.
The summer weather is nice enough, it's just that it is too short. Summer weather is really only June, July, and August. In those months the temp. ranges between about 15C - 28C (60F - 80F).
what exactly does a block heater do?
Man, you must be in a warm climate if you don't know what a block heater does. Basically, it supplies power to the engine block to heat it so starting is easier when it is cold out.
Old 01-23-2003, 05:12 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: conversion

Originally posted by mm7759

I have a quick unrelated question......what tire/wheel setup are you running in those conditions? Snows? Stock?
I had the stock Craptenzas on for awhile, but after experiencing their toboggan-like grip in the snow, I decided that I had better get some decent tires for the winter. I bought some 16 X 6.5 steel rims and mounted 205/60-16 Nokian WR's on them. The WR's are not a "true" snow tire like the Blizzak's or the Hakka 1's, but they will last longer, are still pretty good in the snow, and they are decent in both dry and wet too.
Old 01-23-2003, 05:22 PM

Originally posted by GLE02NJ
hey, did it read like this: "---"

This happened to me but it was because it was too hot. This was in August in Death Valley, CA. No, I didn't bring my car there but we rented another 2k2 Maxima there (my choice ). I think it doesnt register after 135*F because I read 134 but never read 135.
That's exactly what it read like "---". 134F??? Are you kidding me?
Old 01-23-2003, 06:25 PM

Originally posted by BigFly_2K2SE
That's exactly what it read like "---". 134F??? Are you kidding me?
Yes and that's not really the bad part. The bad part is reading this sign when it was 128-130 outside.

This is in Death Valley once again. There were water tanks every half mile for around 20 miles. Here's the scary pic you DO NOT WANT TO SEE WHEN ITS 130*F outside:

Also, about 5-6 miles after seeing this sign I saw all these pontiac prototype cars outside. I asked my dad to pull over and I started talking to the guys. They were really cool but wouldn't give me info on the car. Now I can tell it's the new Bonneville after seeing the real version out on the street 3-4 months later. Enough about my trip.
Old 01-23-2003, 07:23 PM
It's chrome alright...

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: conversion

Originally posted by vito1281

I'm pretty sure--I forgot to try it on the way home. You're in Canada right? So perhaps they have a different option in this case. In my 2003 Owner's Manual, the description is on page 2-33.

I really hope I didn't get this mixed up, but when I initially posted, I could've sworn I tried it before and it worked.

Can someone verify? It's too cold to go outside
it's on page 2-31 in mine (2k2 version) and I tried on the way home but it didn't work. The manual seems to indicate the car shouldn't be running, but the key should be turned to 'on'. I'll try that tomorrow.
Old 01-24-2003, 12:59 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

It doesn't work for me at all. It seems that you couldn't changed either from F to C or from C to F. It is kind of like a Factory Preset?
Old 01-24-2003, 01:02 PM
Banned

Originally posted by miller
It doesn't work for me at all. It seems that you couldn't changed either from F to C or from C to F. It is kind of like a Factory Preset?
****, my bad guys--I could've sworn I did it, but I guess I was on something when I posted

Sorry about the misinformation--next time I'll double check before posting.
Old 01-24-2003, 01:07 PM

The summer weather is nice enough, it's just that it is too short. Summer weather is really only June, July, and August. In those months the temp. ranges between about 15C - 28C (60F - 80F).
Man, you must be in a warm climate if you don't know what a block heater does. Basically, it supplies power to the engine block to heat it so starting is easier when it is cold out.
im from FL so if i saw wires dangling from the front of a car id wonder wtf is that.
Old 01-25-2003, 02:22 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: conversion

Originally posted by vito1281

To see metric, switch your trip computer to display the temp., and then press and hold the "Mode" button, and it will toggle between Celsius and Fahrenheit.
Didn't work for me on my US 2K2 Max.
Old 01-26-2003, 11:07 AM

Originally posted by slickrick

im from FL so if i saw wires dangling from the front of a car id wonder wtf is that.
Up here, we wonder wtf is up with cars that DON'T have cords hanging out the front!
Old 01-26-2003, 11:12 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Re: Re: Re: Re: Learned something about the outside temperature display in my 2K2

Originally posted by Titanium2k3

I had this happen to me yesterday. We are getting some of that Canada air here in the northeast(NJ), its been around 15-19F. I was driving and it sounded like someone hit me with a snowball, but there is no snow on the ground. I even stopped and checked the side of my car.

Anyone else experience this?
Interesting point of view. We say we're getting American weather (Alaksa). I get the same "thunk!) sound sometimes when it is cold.
Old 01-26-2003, 11:18 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Learned something about the outside temperature display in my 2K2

Originally posted by Jaws

Interesting point of view. We say we're getting American weather (Alaksa). I get the same "thunk!" sound sometimes when it is cold.
The toggle between metric and imperial does not work. BTW, the milage computer is still overly optimistic in metric like it is in imperial.
Old 01-26-2003, 11:20 AM

Re: Learned something about the outside temperature display in my 2K2

It won't display temperatures below -30C!

I was out at the movies a couple of nights ago and as I was going home I noticed that the temperature display just read ---. I thought that maybe it just wasn't registering for some reason. Then yesterday morning when I headed out to go to work (car is parked in garage) the temp. display read -18C. As I took the car outside and headed to work I watched the temperature start to fall. -20....-22....-25......-29......., and then from -29 it went to the --- display again. The actual outside temperature (heard it on the radio) was -39C.

I guess maybe Nissan didn't expect anybody to drive the Max in such horrible temperatures!
BTW where did you buy your car. I know there is a Toyota dealership in GP (Sean Seargent) and a Honda, but is there a Nissan dealer?
Old 01-26-2003, 01:25 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: conversion

I had the stock Craptenzas on for awhile, but after experiencing their toboggan-like grip in the snow, I decided that I had better get some decent tires for the winter. I bought some 16 X 6.5 steel rims and mounted 205/60-16 Nokian WR's on them. The WR's are not a "true" snow tire like the Blizzak's or the Hakka 1's, but they will last longer, are still pretty good in the snow, and they are decent in both dry and wet too.
I have the same tires, though 205/65 on factory 15" rims on my '95 SE.
These tires are awesome in the snow, great in the wet an sticky in the dry also! The are rate all-weather + meaning they are rated for snow use. I wish I had them in the right size for my car, I'd use them year round.
BTW, from what I've heard, they are just as good as Blizzak & even Hakka's in winter.
Old 01-26-2003, 02:58 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: conversion

My Craptenzas lasted til the first time we got an inch of snow, then I bought some 16 inch winter wheels and put Pilot Alpins on. So far I love em, even on dry roads, if the weather is cold (duh, this is Minnesota) they handle much better. Can't touch your cold tho, the worst we've had so far is about -15F.
Old 01-27-2003, 05:31 AM

Re: Learned something about the outside temperature display in my 2K2

It won't display temperatures below -30C!

I was out at the movies a couple of nights ago and as I was going home I noticed that the temperature display just read ---. I thought that maybe it just wasn't registering for some reason. Then yesterday morning when I headed out to go to work (car is parked in garage) the temp. display read -18C. As I took the car outside and headed to work I watched the temperature start to fall. -20....-22....-25......-29......., and then from -29 it went to the --- display again. The actual outside temperature (heard it on the radio) was -39C.

I guess maybe Nissan didn't expect anybody to drive the Max in such horrible temperatures!
Yes Sir! It was a cold day this morning! I got -10F (-23.3C) on my display and I could pull my foot off the clutch faster than it would come up! That hydraulic fluid was real thick!
Old 01-27-2003, 08:21 AM

Re: Re: Learned something about the outside temperature display in my 2K2

Originally posted by Jaws

BTW where did you buy your car. I know there is a Toyota dealership in GP (Sean Seargent) and a Honda, but is there a Nissan dealer?
Yes, there is a Nissan Dealership up here (GP Carland), but I actually bought the car in Edmonton at West End Nissan. Of the dealerships that I talked to, they were the ones that offered me the best price.