5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Vibrating under driver seat - big problem??

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2003, 03:06 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Vibrating under driver seat - big problem??

Hi all Maxima fanatics...

My 03SE sometimes shakes/vibrates more than usual when the car is in park (idle), especially right under the driver seat floor. It only has 800 miles on it, and I've been following the break-in procedures.

Should I be worried and bring it to the dealer to check it up? The car drives fine normally (with a slight whiney noise in low RPMs), but are these symptoms are the car being new? Cuz my 97 Altima doesn't shake/vibrate at all when put in Park.

Please advise.
Old 01-23-2003, 04:18 PM
IMBOUTTOBUSTSOMEGHOSTS

Re: Vibrating under driver seat - big problem??

Originally posted by ucdaznboy96

My 03SE sometimes shakes/vibrates more than usual when the car is in park (idle), especially right under the driver seat floor. It only has 800 miles on it, and I've been following the break-in procedures.

Should I be worried and bring it to the dealer to check it up? The car drives fine normally (with a slight whiney noise in low RPMs), but are these symptoms are the car being new? Cuz my 97 Altima doesn't shake/vibrate at all when put in Park.

Please advise.
does the vibration occur during acceleration or only during idle? if the car has 800 miles on it, and it vibrates all the time during idle take it back if youre confident you can replicate the problem. i wouldnt be worried unless they cant figure what it is. check the trans oil when you get a chance, ive never heard of low oil causing a vibration but its worth a check.
Old 01-24-2003, 01:06 PM

Well my transmission fluid IS low, but I've never heard of a low oil causing vibration either. But I'll top if off later, and see what happens. Any other ideas?
Old 01-24-2003, 01:36 PM

Please advise.
Are you sure it's not gas? What have you had to eat lately?
Old 01-24-2003, 05:26 PM

Chevron Supreme -simply smarter =) I don't think it's gas. I'll just wait until it has a few thousand miles before getting it checked up. Everything could be just because the parts are "too new", so I'll wait before I do anything.
Old 01-24-2003, 07:05 PM

Chevron Supreme -simply smarter =) I don't think it's gas. I'll just wait until it has a few thousand miles before getting it checked up. Everything could be just because the parts are "too new", so I'll wait before I do anything.

You mean it's like in the seat, or underneath and you can feel it in the seat...and whoa, your fluid was low on a new car? Take it in!

ARFF
Old 01-24-2003, 08:50 PM

Please advise.
i've noticed this problem too when idling after a semi long drive. cept i can't locate the vibration but there definetly is one. if i turn off the climate control and stereo you can notice something is up. kind of like ruff idle but not nearly as bad. the rpms don't fluctuate so i'm lost. Metal still flexing? FYi i got a 03se 6spd aswell
Old 01-25-2003, 11:14 AM

Great, just what I need to hear - another person with the same problem

I think it might be the exhaust? Because when I'm idle, like at a stop light, then when I step on the gas medium hard, the car slips a little bit, like it stutters a little, and it comes from underneath too. (I don't know what I'm talking about anymore ) But anyway, all the fluids are topped off, so it's not that that's causing the idle vibrating. maybe it's "metal flexing" like you said.

I'll wait a few thousand miles.