5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

It's Too Damn Cold!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2003, 04:11 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

It's Too Damn Cold!!!

Okay, I'm in Atlanta and the thermometer on my car read !!! Holy HELL this is COLD! The wind chill is no doubt below ZERO!!! Ok, so I was sitting in my car convulsing, and as I was waiting on the car to warm up, I was revving the engine a little (around 2000 RPM). Then I noticed something. The more rev I gave the engine, the louder this sound of LIQUID running I heard! It would go away when I let off the accellerator, but as soon as I revved it again, the sound would come back, louder depending on how high I revved the engine. Is that normal for near zero temperatures? Thanks!
Old 01-24-2003, 04:24 AM

Oh yeah, one more thing...

Is it possible to add heated seats/steering wheel? I would think it would be as easy as buying the seats/wheel and just installing the switch. God knows I should have had it this morning!

Followup: I did a search on this, and some people thought that it may be possible to just add a switch, but I don't think that's very likely. It's also very likely that adding the heated seats/wheel would cost an arm and a leg. Nevermind on that one.
Old 01-24-2003, 04:32 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

hey its rarely this cold in atl
btw, with wind chill factor is -4 degrees
Old 01-24-2003, 04:35 AM

Yeah man...too cold down here!!!!!!!
K
Old 01-24-2003, 04:35 AM

Originally posted by BioMaxDDS
hey its rarely this cold in atl
btw, with wind chill factor is -4 degrees
GOOD GOD!
Old 01-24-2003, 04:44 AM

Originally posted by MrCollegeGuy

GOOD GOD!
so this cold spell is nationwide...

how do you think we in boston felt?

the other night it was -25 with the windchill. my car sounds horrible in the morning.
Old 01-24-2003, 04:52 AM

Originally posted by Young04

the other night it was -25 with the windchill. my car sounds horrible in the morning.
no need to get all mad and stuff. People in Atl is not used to this kind of weather like you guys in boston. Atlanta=Hotlanta ok??
Old 01-24-2003, 04:52 AM

Is it possible to add heated seats/steering wheel? I would think it would be as easy as buying the seats/wheel and just installing the switch. God knows I should have had it this morning!
Heated aftermarket seat cushions are available that plug into your cigarette lighter. A few years back I priced some Nissan seats - several hundred dollars apiece then (don't want to know what they are going for now).

Norm
(currently appreciating the OE heated seats in my AE )
Old 01-24-2003, 05:00 AM

im in atlanta also...its very cold..
Old 01-24-2003, 05:03 AM

Originally posted by Young04

I'm from boston too. I saw on the news today that the commuter boats in the harbor aren't running because the harbor is freezing. That's cold.

It takes forever for my maxima to warm up. Longer than any car I've owned. I start it about a half an hour before I leave the house in the morning.
Old 01-24-2003, 05:13 AM

Will somebody please comment on the liquid sound I heard when I revved the engine?
Old 01-24-2003, 06:02 AM

Will somebody please comment on the liquid sound I heard when I revved the engine?
I was probibly your heater core making a little noise. NP
Your fan wasn't on yet I would guess, this would make it easier to hear.
Old 01-24-2003, 06:28 AM

Thank god I parked in the garage last night.
Old 01-24-2003, 06:35 AM

I live in Florida, the ocean is a few feet away and its 32 degrees with the sun out!! ITS FLORIDA MAN!!!! 25 DEGREES last night! My car read ICY 29 this morning. The water is like 40 degrees!! Any one up for a swim?>
Old 01-24-2003, 07:19 AM

I heard that it's has been colder in cities in Georgia than in cities in Alaska. As Kevin Meaney would say, "That's not right!"

Also, I read that it best to let the car 'warm up' for about one minute before driving it in the cold.
Old 01-24-2003, 07:23 AM
The silent but deadly Moderator

I'm not sure, but my 5th gen is 3 years old and it never done that until last night. I heard gurgling from what sounded to be from the intake area between 2K and 3K rpm. no more no less. In fact, I punched it a few times and caught the tranny off guard and it let out a squeal Anyway, car was fully warmed up doing this. Its not doing it today tho. Not sure, but its a bizarre sound.
Old 01-24-2003, 07:30 AM

Originally posted by TimW
I'm not sure, but my 5th gen is 3 years old and it never done that until last night. I heard gurgling from what sounded to be from the intake area between 2K and 3K rpm. no more no less. In fact, I punched it a few times and caught the tranny off guard and it let out a squeal Anyway, car was fully warmed up doing this. Its not doing it today tho. Not sure, but its a bizarre sound.
I think it's safe to say that our Max's don't perform optimally at or near Zero degrees.
Old 01-24-2003, 08:09 AM
It's chrome alright...

Originally posted by Cwa232

It takes forever for my maxima to warm up. Longer than any car I've owned. I start it about a half an hour before I leave the house in the morning.
because you're not warming it up correctly. You're supposed to drive it to get it warmed up, not let it idle. I start it, clear the windows, and go. No more than 2 minutes of idling. It's usually getting warm by the 2nd mile of my commute (less than 10 minutes).

Oh yeah, and you guys don't know cold. My parents live in Maine where it's been below 0 for over a week (my mom just IMed... HEAT WAVE, IT'S 2 ABOVE!) and 35mph winds make wind chill 35 BELOW!
Old 01-24-2003, 08:20 AM

it's not that cold in Atlanta , it's so cold in Buffalo, NY that the top layer of Lake Erie has frozen over and, if you wanted to, you could walk from the Canada side to the USA side

as for temps, this week in Toronto, Ontario, i've seen -25C (-13F) on the outside temp gauge in the max and it has given me no problems starting and warming up.

just let it warm up 1-2 minutes and then drive conservatively for the first few minutes...that's the best way to warm up the car.

and for those complaining that the max takes too long to warm up, try driving a honda...they take twice as long.
Old 01-24-2003, 08:27 AM
Zog

You guys should try and old 90 SE maxima. When driving from home to campus it would *start* to warm about the time i got to campus. About 10-15 minutes depending on traffic. That engine sounded better in the cold than my VQ though
Old 01-24-2003, 08:34 AM

I think it's safe to say that our Max's don't perform optimally at or near Zero degrees.
cold dense air is the best for performance...i Gteched my car the day the temp gauge read -25C and my 0 to 60mph time was 0.4s faster than at 0C
Old 01-24-2003, 08:44 AM

Re: It's Too Damn Cold!!!

Okay, I'm in Atlanta and the thermometer on my car read !!! Holy HELL this is COLD! The wind chill is no doubt below ZERO!!! Ok, so I was sitting in my car convulsing, and as I was waiting on the car to warm up, I was revving the engine a little (around 2000 RPM). Then I noticed something. The more rev I gave the engine, the louder this sound of LIQUID running I heard! It would go away when I let off the accellerator, but as soon as I revved it again, the sound would come back, louder depending on how high I revved the engine. Is that normal for near zero temperatures? Thanks!
I dunno - didn't some guy post recently that his Max outside temp stopped working after it reached -30? Now THAT is cold ; it's like a freakin Jack London story!

If it ever gets that cold in Houston, I'm not going outside...
Old 01-24-2003, 09:02 AM

Re: Re: It's Too Damn Cold!!!

Originally posted by Maximax2

I dunno - didn't some guy post recently that his Max outside temp stopped working after it reached -30? Now THAT is cold ; it's like a freakin Jack London story!

Man, Im from Dallas, TX and this is almost unbearable. I would NEVER be able to live up north. You walk outside and its like a thousand needles poke you in the face. NOT COOL. Not to mention I can't feel my extremities when I get to work (5 min ride, car has no time to really heat up.) I HATE THE COLD!!
Old 01-24-2003, 09:13 AM

ya, i'm in northern missouri, and we've had a solid week wehere the temps have been single digits and the wind chill has been about -10. our warmest day in two weeks was 30 degrees and i almost wore a tshirt around cuz it was warm. this is ridiculous, and the fact that its been snowing constantly doesn't help much either. i want summer!
Old 01-24-2003, 09:16 AM

Re: Re: It's Too Damn Cold!!!

Originally posted by Maximax2

Yep, that was me. It was -39 WITHOUT the windchill here the other morning. With windchill, it was about -50F.
Old 01-24-2003, 12:45 PM

When I woke up getting ready for class this morning I start up my car and the Temp Gauge reads "3F", and for the first time I can feel my clutch frozen when I try to put the car in gear.

Its D@mn cold right now...I can't stand it anymore.....lol

My Cold Air intake is now, FREEZE air intake. That accounts for 2 more HP gain!
Old 01-24-2003, 12:53 PM

Cold ???????

We had - 38 with -45 windchills last night.... Car started great with no strange sounds.

98 GLE. Cold weather package.. block heater, defrosters in the mirrors, heated front seats ( nice on the back side ). Got to have it since the weather sucks.
Old 01-24-2003, 01:12 PM

i'm sorry to hear how cold it is getting. it got cold here as well. down to the 60's at night. brrr. ihad to turn the a/c off.
Old 01-24-2003, 01:15 PM

2000 Mirrors...

Speaking of it being cold does anyone know if cars without the cold weather package come with the wiring for heated mirrors? I can get parts cheap but it really sux not being able to see out the sides.

Another stupid thing that happened to my car due to cold weather was my gas cover wouldn't open. It was frozen shut for almost a week.
It wasn't even near 0F then.
Old 01-24-2003, 02:58 PM

Re: 2000 Mirrors...

Originally posted by booboo13
Speaking of it being cold does anyone know if cars without the cold weather package come with the wiring for heated mirrors? I can get parts cheap but it really sux not being able to see out the sides.

Another stupid thing that happened to my car due to cold weather was my gas cover wouldn't open. It was frozen shut for almost a week.
It wasn't even near 0F then.
Did you get a car wash prior or during the cold weather... happened to me as well. the small plastic clip or stop the keeps the gas cover shut was frozen. I took some lock de icer and cleaned out the site. Problem solved.
Old 01-24-2003, 03:21 PM

I had to use my A/C today....iss hot here.
Old 01-24-2003, 05:06 PM

How Cold Was it?

With the exception of the guy from Buffalo, NY- You guys are all a bunch of wusses! (j/k!)

Here in balmy Albany, NY, it finally managed to get into the double digits (farenheit) today for the first time in about a week- the windchills, however, were down around -30F to -40F for the last couple of days. A few ski resorts in the Adirondacks and Berkshires closed due to the extreme windchills.

I took my Maxima out last weekend when it was about -6F (according to the outside temp. sensor) and it seemed to handle it just fine. Of course, it's kept in a nice warm garage when not out on the road!

Like David Letterman said a couple of nights ago: "It's so cold out, I overheard a hooker offering to give a guy a mitten-job"
Old 01-25-2003, 12:23 AM

i use my home a/c everyday all day. ahhhhh the joys of living in a tropical enviorment. Aloha fella's and ladies
Old 01-25-2003, 10:18 AM

Originally posted by handsofstone
i use my home a/c everyday all day. ahhhhh the joys of living in a tropical enviorment. Aloha fella's and ladies
You don't need to travel that far to find decent weather, handsofstone . . .

http://weather.yahoo.com/forecast/USCA0638_f.html

Old 11-17-2003, 06:31 PM

What a bunch of Wussies!

Sorry to resurrect this thread, but winter is here again!
Unless you live in Central Canada, or Northern US (MT, ND, MN) then you have no idea what COLD is! And for our US buddies, do you know that you are the only country in the world that is still reading temperature in degrees Fahrenheit instead of the internationally accepted Celsius. For that reason I am able to convert just about any C temp to F mentally, or vica/versa. But getting back to COLDhttp://forums.maxima.org/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=1723600#, Where I live is arguably the coldest CITY in Canada (Winnipeg) as well as one of the windiest. So combine the cold with the windchill and you have bone chilling cold that defies man and machine. And to top it all off, I found out yesterday that my car (2000 SE) bought 3 months ago does NOT have a block heater, a necessity in these climes. So now I have to get one of those and will also look for a good in-car-heater. In October we have already had record cold temps to -21C (-5F) and the Max had no trouble starting. But once we get to the -30C to -40C range then a block heater is pretty much mandatory, unless you want to go start your car every 3 hours! Am also looking at getting a remote car starter, lots of complication with the Max, so need to get a competent installer.

Cheers,
Dannodotcom
Old 11-17-2003, 07:06 PM
retired moderator

Try Oslo, Norway in the winter...went there for a conference last year. Wicked cold. Evryone has Saabs and Volvos, not surprisingly...although did see alot fo Jeep Cherokees for some reason. It would be about 5 deg F and people would be walking around without hats on like it was summer.
Old 11-17-2003, 07:36 PM

Originally Posted by dannodotcom
Sorry to resurrect this thread, but winter is here again!
Unless you live in Central Canada, or Northern US (MT, ND, MN) then you have no idea what COLD is! And for our US buddies, do you know that you are the only country in the world that is still reading temperature in degrees Fahrenheit instead of the internationally accepted Celsius. For that reason I am able to convert just about any C temp to F mentally, or vica/versa. But getting back to COLDhttp://forums.maxima.org/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=1723600#, Where I live is arguably the coldest CITY in Canada (Winnipeg) as well as one of the windiest. So combine the cold with the windchill and you have bone chilling cold that defies man and machine. And to top it all off, I found out yesterday that my car (2000 SE) bought 3 months ago does NOT have a block heater, a necessity in these climes. So now I have to get one of those and will also look for a good in-car-heater. In October we have already had record cold temps to -21C (-5F) and the Max had no trouble starting. But once we get to the -30C to -40C range then a block heater is pretty much mandatory, unless you want to go start your car every 3 hours! Am also looking at getting a remote car starter, lots of complication with the Max, so need to get a competent installer.

Cheers,
Dannodotcom
Danno, I am sure that all Canadian spec Maximas come with a block heater as standard. Nissan is very good at hiding the plug, but it is there.
Old 11-17-2003, 07:46 PM

NO! Block Heaters NOT Standard!!!

Sorry to say, but not all Cdn Max's come with block heater standard, they are an OPTION, and my car was originally from Toronto and they chose not to get the block heater as it doesn't get cold enough there to justify the cost. But here in Winterpeg it certainly does!!! -40 is not unusual!!

Cheers,
Dannodotcom

Originally Posted by Jaws
Danno, I am sure that all Canadian spec Maximas come with a block heater as standard. Nissan is very good at hiding the plug, but it is there.
Old 11-17-2003, 07:51 PM

Originally Posted by dannodotcom
Sorry to say, but not all Cdn Max's come with block heater standard, they are an OPTION, and my car was originally from Toronto and they chose not to get the block heater as it doesn't get cold enough there to justify the cost. But here in Winterpeg it certainly does!!! -40 is not unusual!!

Cheers,
Dannodotcom
Yah, I know it can get to -40 in Winnipeg. BTW your sig under the pic of your car is inaccurate. There is no legal amount of front tint in either SK or AB and I believe that those places are in Canada.
Old 11-17-2003, 07:55 PM

Legal Max Ting

Ok, I'll change it to reflect MB only

Dannodotcom

Originally Posted by Jaws
Yah, I know it can get to -40 in Winnipeg. BTW your sig under the pic of your car is inaccurate. There is no legal amount of front tint in either SK or AB and I believe that those places are in Canada.

Quick Reply: It's Too Damn Cold!!!