5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

driveability probs with my 2k max

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2003, 02:06 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

driveability probs with my 2k max

I just recently bought a 2000 maxima 5spd. I've driven a mustang for the past couple years and have gotten really good with them, but this car is another story. I don't have much exposure yet with these cars, so i'm looking for some input. As stated above, i have a 5spd maxima. The problem i am having is occasional extreme pinging, and occasionally, the car will die. The dying normally happens when i take the car out of gear and am slowing down or in the process of making a turn. Normally, when i go to neutral the engine rpm drops to 300-400 rpm then goes back up to 650. It seems like the extra power required by the power steering at the right time as the engine is coming to idle causes it to die. Also, as i stated i am getting some rediculous pinging and it feels like the car is being robbed of power. Does anyone have input? Are these problems related to one main issue? Thanks
Old 01-27-2003, 02:19 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Well first of all are you using Premium Unleaded gas or regular?
Old 01-27-2003, 06:33 AM

Re: driveability probs with my 2k max

Originally posted by ekoster
I just recently bought a 2000 maxima 5spd. I've driven a mustang for the past couple years and have gotten really good with them, but this car is another story. I don't have much exposure yet with these cars, so i'm looking for some input. As stated above, i have a 5spd maxima. The problem i am having is occasional extreme pinging, and occasionally, the car will die. The dying normally happens when i take the car out of gear and am slowing down or in the process of making a turn. Normally, when i go to neutral the engine rpm drops to 300-400 rpm then goes back up to 650. It seems like the extra power required by the power steering at the right time as the engine is coming to idle causes it to die. Also, as i stated i am getting some rediculous pinging and it feels like the car is being robbed of power. Does anyone have input? Are these problems related to one main issue? Thanks
How many miles on it?...I had the pinging too...and I only use 93 octane...my problem wound up being the coils...after replacement by Nissan for free (under 36k miles) then she pulled alot harder and no more pinging. theres a tsb out for it too.
Old 01-27-2003, 06:58 AM
The silent but deadly Moderator

call to a Nissan dealer, ask them to look up the vehicle history, specifically for coil replacement. If its not been done, that is your first place to start. If its not under warranty, the best place to get the coils is from DaveB.

If its not the coils (but it most likely will be), then there is a TSB for a broken wire in the main harness (over the right front strut). Yeah, serious pain to diagnose and replace. I doubt it would be that tho.
Old 01-27-2003, 12:25 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Yours is a classic description of the ignition coil problem inherent in many 5th Gen Maximas, ekoster. The coils had to be replaced in both my SE and my wife's 2K GXE. I wouldn't be at all suprised if your coils end up needing to be replaced as well.
Old 01-28-2003, 01:43 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

first off, thanks for the input guys. It's nice to come to a new forum and get so much help. Anyway, it's got some miles on it, about 55k. So if the coils need to be replaced, it comes out of my pocket. Also, it needs plugs. I don't know if that would cause the problem, but they look like the factory plugs, i think they are 60k plugs? I use premium, but unfortunately out here in wonderful northern california, all we get is 91. So, i will do plugs tomorrow, and check into the coil thing. I work for Carmax and that is where i bought the car from. In fact, i did the appraisal for the lady who sold it to us. I talked with her at length and I don't think she would have known that the motor could've even been pinging, let alone have a tsb out on the coils. again, thanks for the help.

Eric

BTW - how much are coils?
Old 01-28-2003, 07:17 AM

seriously doubt its the plugs.. While plugs are a good idea @ 60K, there arent many 2k's that havent needed their coils replaced. As far as warranty, some people have gotten them replaced under the standard 60K powertrain warranty, but it is an electronic part.. so they can claim its not covered. Kinda luck of the draw, like service always is.

They replaced mine in 30 mins. Not a big labor item.
Old 01-28-2003, 09:50 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

i called my local nissan dealership today. My service guys know the guys over there. So we talked a little and then i realzed that the extended warranty i bought on my car would cover the coils (nissan said parts alone would be $1200). So i take the car in tomorrow, pay my $25 deductible and get it fixed. Thanks again for the help.

Eric
Old 01-28-2003, 09:55 PM

Wow! Thats expensive for coils dude. You can buy em alot cheaper than that. However, you bought the insurance! $25 bucks sounds pretty good to me. I had the same problem with my coils. I had it long before the TSB was published. I had to escalate through Nissan North America (A-holes) to no avail. I went to a couple of dealerships with my explanation of the problem (coils). I finally went to one dealer who had me reproduce the problem by going up a loooooonnnnnng steep grade at a constant RPM. Pinged the whole way up. Coils replaced and Voila!
Old 01-28-2003, 10:54 PM

coils are $240-300 TOPS... labor is 30 mins.. you should keep an eye on those guys, warranty or not. Maybe they were just trying to impress you... or scare you.. or entertain you.. who knows.. 1200 quote is just bizarre.
Old 02-04-2003, 10:37 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

so I took the car in. They diagnosed the car and replaced the coils they also said there is another problem with the car, something they can't track down. I guess the car is running very rich, and they don't really know whats causing the problem. Anyway, i got the car back, no more pinging. They raised the idle a bit, and it hasn't wanted to die at this point. Also changed the plugs and that helped a wee bit. Thanks again for the help gang.
Old 02-05-2003, 04:48 AM

coils covered with extended warranty?

This is news to me. I thought it was only within the 3 year 36000 warranty. Anyway, how will I know when I need new coils? I have a 2000 auto with 25k on it.