5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

RPM hangup during shifting

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2000, 11:50 AM

I have a new 2k Maxima SE 5sp with 1500km on it. I love the car but when I shift, the revs stay hung up at 3000rpm for 3 seconds.It's driving me nuts and I don't think it's right.
The dealer says it's normal, but I don't believe them. Has anyone else had this?

Old 09-11-2000, 12:00 PM

sorry no idea

but here's a related link i dug up for u.. it's an old post. like a few days old.. http://forums.maxima.org/showthread.phtml?threadid=1295
hope it helps
Old 09-11-2000, 01:54 PM
The silent but deadly Moderator

from NHTSA

-------------------------
Make: NISSAN
Model: MAXIMA
Year: 2000
Date of Failure:
Incident: No
Fire: No
Number of Injuries:
Component: FUEL:THROTTLE LINKAGES AND CONTROL:PEDAL
Summary: THIS VEHICLE IS EXHIBITING A PROBLEM OF NOT BEING ABLE TO CONTROL THE ENGINE SPEED WITH THE THROTTLE PEDAL. THERE HAVE BEEN NUMEROUS COMPLAINTS REGARDING THIS
---------------------------

What I know about this could fit in a thimble, but I think I know more than the dealer and thats sad. Have them check your TPS. Say TPS and when they look at you stupid, say "duh, throttle position sensor! what were you people being *chased* when you took your training on these cars?!"

From what I understand, if its alittle out of spec, it will hold the RPMs higher than needed. Actually, I have an auto and only read about someone having that problem. It doesnt fix the problem competely, but makes it more driveable. Being that I dont know this for sure, I take no responsiblity for you feeling like a moron at the dealer. they WILL make you feel like one, everyone does regardless of whos right. This TPS issue might get them at least pointed in the right direction.

Finally, if its "normal" than drive another car on the lot. If it does it, then I guess its normal. that answered many a question for me, but also put the dealer back on the hot seat on a few things.

Old 09-11-2000, 02:14 PM

Tim is right

They do make you try to feel like a moron.....whatever you do, don't agree with anything they say unless it is what you want to hear...

Just today I went back because of my squeaky engine mount(see my post ugh) because they still squeak after being replaced. The SA calls out the tech who did the work and explains my complaint to him..what does he do?

"Ahhh...I don't know what the heck it is" Shrugs his shoulders...I say in a nice clear voice so all can hear.." So you are just telling me that I'm just going to have to deal with it?"

He comes back with "I can't fix it in the hour that is left in the day"

No **** Sherlock....then he calms down, gets his consultant II and does his thing...he always does this...gets pissy till I remind hime who the customer is (in a subtle way)

Tim called it right a few days ago..these guys are tards when it comes to anything more major than an oil change....the only reason I keep going ther is because it is 2 minutes from my house and it is warranty work.....

I understand that techs don't usually deal with the customer but when they do they should not treat you like some *** who is just bothering them....

Old 09-11-2000, 02:41 PM
dvyuan

Are these shift problems only on the Autos? Anybody have any problems with the 5sp?

Old 09-11-2000, 02:56 PM
Got Bent?

I think the original poster was referring to the 5 speed hanging up at the shift. The auto shift problem has to do with shifting from 1st to 2nd gear only.
Old 09-11-2000, 03:25 PM

my car used to do that at first when I got it bit now its perfect, maybe just a 100rpm b/w shifts. Give it sometime and it'll be Ok.
Old 09-11-2000, 03:44 PM

I noticed the same thing...

a year ago when I got my Max, I thought there was definately something wrong, but apparently that's how it was designed to work. Mine doesn't hang for quite 3 sec (more like 1 sec) but after a year and 18k mi. I can tell you that you won't even notice it after a while. Just to make sure we're talking about the same thing, you're referring to when you shift, let off the gas and push the clutch simultaneously and the revs don't drop at all and makes the car lurch a little if you shift quickly and don't wait for it to drop before letting the clutch out in the next gear? After driving it for a while you'll get used to it, I've found that letting off the gas a half a second sooner than I normally would before pushing the clutch sort of spends a bit of this "lag" time so that while you have the clutch in and change gears the rpm's DO drop. This may not make sense but try it and see, trust me you'll get used to the timing of it and it will become second nature once you're used to the car.
Old 09-12-2000, 12:38 AM

More RPM ?ss

I just noticed lately tat when i start my 2k gle auto the rpm goes to 1000 and stays there. Shouldn't it stay at 0 since i havent even accelerated ?? and when im at a full stop it stays at 500, wonderin if this is a problem and if its the same for all gle owners out there.
Old 09-12-2000, 06:08 AM
Got Bent?

Re: More RPM ?ss

Originally posted by Max2K
I just noticed lately tat when i start my 2k gle auto the rpm goes to 1000 and stays there. Shouldn't it stay at 0 since i havent even accelerated ?? and when im at a full stop it stays at 500, wonderin if this is a problem and if its the same for all gle owners out there.
When you start the car, it stays at a higher rpm to warm up the engine a bit faster. This is completely normal. Once warm, the rpm's will fall to a normal idle (~600). At a full stop, the rpm's should read 500 or so also. If it read 0, it means your engine is shut off!
Old 09-12-2000, 01:16 PM

Sprung you nailed it

The way you described the problem is exactly right. I guess I'll just hang in there and will eventually get used to it. Thanks.

Old 09-12-2000, 01:45 PM

rpm

rounds per second. if your motor is not turning then it's off..
Old 09-12-2000, 02:12 PM

Re: Sprung you nailed it

Originally posted by andy mcgregor
The way you described the problem is exactly right. I guess I'll just hang in there and will eventually get used to it. Thanks.
Glad I could help, now that I'm used to the way the car drives I can drive it super smooth...I've had people in the back seat not even know that it was 5spd. My wife has a 2k Civic Si and I can't drive that thing as well as my Max. Even though the shift throws are shorter and smoother I can't get the clutch engagement down perfectly unless I drive it for a while. I don't drive it nearly as much as mine, but I can now say that I prefer the way my Max shifts.
Old 09-12-2000, 05:15 PM

Yup, I just bought mine on July 31, 2000. I noticed that the minute I reved the engine when it had 4 miles on it on the test drive! I told the sale guy that that was not right, he agreed, and showed the service manager, and he agreed. Two weeks later, I got a call from the dealer, fixed under warrenty. I think your dealer is lying to you. But while I had the car before it was fixed, the problem became intermittent. Only hung up when it was cold for some reason. Maybe there may be no problems with it, like the lube worked it's way in? or if it's electronic, then maybe it is messed up. But all I know is they replaced mine.
Old 09-12-2000, 08:51 PM

Originally posted by young1976
Yup, I just bought mine on July 31, 2000. I noticed that the minute I reved the engine when it had 4 miles on it on the test drive! I told the sale guy that that was not right, he agreed, and showed the service manager, and he agreed. Two weeks later, I got a call from the dealer, fixed under warrenty. I think your dealer is lying to you. But while I had the car before it was fixed, the problem became intermittent. Only hung up when it was cold for some reason. Maybe there may be no problems with it, like the lube worked it's way in? or if it's electronic, then maybe it is messed up. But all I know is they replaced mine.
Actually I was paying close attention to it today, b/c of this post and it doesn't seem to really do it anymore?? I wonder if the computer has readjusted and eliminated it?
Old 09-17-2000, 03:42 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Here's the answer, folks . . .

http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/eng...tenance&t=1698

Specifically check out Post #2.
Old 09-20-2000, 09:08 PM

Question!

Originally posted by young1976
What did they replace? Could you find that out for all of us 5 speed lovers!
Old 09-21-2000, 06:10 AM

I think all the 5 Speeds do this to some degree

As a matter of fact, last night I was with 3 other 5 Speed 2K SE owners, and each car we tested exhibited this behavior to some degree. I think it is done intentionally for emissions reasons. We were all there to test the 5 Speed fuel cut issue and compare why one car was worse than the other three.