5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

me and wrx go at it.

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2003, 01:07 PM

me and wrx go at it.

me and my frat bros have been talking smack about whos car is faster. im a 2k2 se auto vs. my friends wrx 5 speed. i figured it would be a drivers race and it was. we raced from 50-100. he gets the jump and i play catchup and by 90 hes at my back doors. 2nd race was from a 5mph roll. he spools up the turbo and im like ohhh ****.. on that race i fall back to 1/4 a car behind but end up at his back bumpber at 95 when i let off. 3rd race was from a stoplight. now this is where i figured the wrx would smoke me because of awd. i take off, i ease the throttle, i didnt brake torque or anything and at 65 when i let off im at his front doors. i was surprised at how close i was. im assuming because the more torque i had made up for having awd. now the funny part. my friend after asks me.. where did the 30 more hp you had go? i just laughed and said i dunno ask nissan. and btw i kept my car in 3rd and not od each race. i was pleased with the results. its basically whoever gets the jump wins the race. now we did this in a safe area where their were no cars.. or cops so no flaming for street racing. were all gonna go to the track soon to race the 1/4. and were gonna video that. i was gonna video today but my bro with the camera was in class. they would have been great videos too. im sure that a 6 speed can take a wrx in my opinion.
Old 01-31-2003, 01:15 PM
I'm needing a caw

Congrats!

BTW the 30hp difference is in the 5-sp vs auto gearing disadvantage and the fact that the maixma is heavier?? I don't know how much the awd wrx weighs. I know they are small but the awd system puts 100s of lbs to the total weight.
Old 01-31-2003, 01:24 PM

Originally posted by Jeff92se
Congrats!

BTW the 30hp difference is in the 5-sp vs auto gearing disadvantage and the fact that the maixma is heavier?? I don't know how much the awd wrx weighs. I know they are small but the awd system puts 100s of lbs to the total weight.
yeah he was saying how he thinks my car is heavier. but i think we are within 100lbs of eachother. yeah i know the diff. is the autovs stick but i was thinking maybe if i had the extra 5-10 horses that we are "supposed to have" it could have been slightly different. im not saying i agree that im missing hp but hey, if i had an intake and it was colder out im sure i coulda taken him. but all in all im just really pleased with my car and the results with my autotragic.
Old 01-31-2003, 01:35 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by slickrick

yeah he was saying how he thinks my car is heavier. but i think we are within 100lbs of eachother. yeah i know the diff. is the autovs stick but i was thinking maybe if i had the extra 5-10 horses that we are "supposed to have" it could have been slightly different. im not saying i agree that im missing hp but hey, if i had an intake and it was colder out im sure i coulda taken him. but all in all im just really pleased with my car and the results with my autotragic.
That's ok, let him win. He has to look at that ugly a$$ car (inside and out!) every day. That's just my opinion, so please don't flame me.
Old 01-31-2003, 01:40 PM

Originally posted by MrCollegeGuy

That's ok, let him win. He has to look at that ugly a$$ car (inside and out!) every day. That's just my opinion, so please don't flame me.
the only thing i like are the seats. he let me sit in it before we raced. i said " wow, nice fake recaros".
Old 01-31-2003, 01:42 PM

the only thing i like are the seats. he let me sit in it before we raced. i said " wow, nice fake recaros".
lol that's cool.
Old 01-31-2003, 01:43 PM

I'd definitely have to agree with that! Those WRX's are pretty cool cars, but dang they look like **** from the inside! No way I could justify that purchase. The interior looks so cheeeesy!!
Old 01-31-2003, 01:48 PM
It's chrome alright...

Originally posted by MadMax1996

I'd definitely have to agree with that! Those WRX's are pretty cool cars, but dang they look like **** from the inside! No way I could justify that purchase. The interior looks so cheeeesy!!
+ = CollegeGuy, you're not the only one with that opinion
Old 01-31-2003, 02:05 PM
Horra!!

This makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside! cuz my friend just bought a 2k3 WRX and he's been talkin non-stop shyt about my max. I just say "We'll take it to the streets someday and I'll shut yer *** up!" but I always thought that I was going to get spanked bad. Anyways good luck on your next run and I'm lookin forward to that video. Peace.

BTW I have a 2k3 SE
Old 01-31-2003, 02:27 PM

the wrx will spank the 2k3, IMHO...i have a 2k3....
on a side note..check out this wrx...man this **** is sic as HAYLE!!

http://www.mastrowrx.com/SEMA_wrx2.jpg
Old 01-31-2003, 02:29 PM

Originally posted by skandalouz

Wow, a shiny ugly car.
Old 01-31-2003, 02:33 PM
Horra!!

Looks like Darth Vader
Old 01-31-2003, 02:49 PM

Wow, a shiny ugly car.
ugly my ***..that car is fukin phat
Old 01-31-2003, 02:51 PM
I'm needing a caw

Note: It's just his opinion. Arguing about it is like telling someone they don't have a butthole.

ugly my ***..that car is fukin phat
Old 01-31-2003, 02:56 PM
Fastest Fantasy Maxima Evar

Originally posted by Jeff92se
Note: It's just his opinion. Arguing about it is like telling someone they don't have a butthole.

Where in the hell do you come up with that sheit.
Old 01-31-2003, 08:42 PM

You lost to weight, I'm pretty sure the WRX is 300 lbs lighter. Makes a huge difference. If I remember correctly, 300 lbs at that weight class = about 42 HP. I remember reading that in that weight area, every 7 lbs = 1 HP. It's a rolling scale so that formula doesn't work as an absolute, it works for a typical weight range of a fully equiped car.

They are small cars. I was surprised to find out that they wiegh as much as my two door eagle talon. My brother in law just got a 2k3 wrx with all the sport options. I like the car. He's not broken it yet so we haven't raced. We plan on racing with my 2k3 6 speed HLSD max and my 95 Eagle Talon which is modded (no match for a stock WRX)

2k3 6 speed HLSD ????
'95 Eagle Talon 13.38@101mph
Old 02-01-2003, 07:27 AM

Stock the WRX is pretty slow. I would expect you to take him at higher speeds if he's stock. The gearing is terrible on the WRX as well so it hurts more over 60 MPH. Then again, if you mod the WRX, it will slaughter a Maxima. I had a WRX until yesterday and with my Stage III package had 420 HP and was low 12 second car on street tires. All bolt ons of course. Highway power was ungodly to say the least. I had no problems at all killing E46 M3's and C5 Vettes. I put it back to stock and traded her in on a 03 Maxima SE for my little brother. I should have left a note in the glovebox for the new owner:
"This car ran low 12's"
I have a deposit on an STi and should be able to get about 600 HP out of that with bolt ons. Bottom line? Stock is one thing but those WRX's can be vicious if tuned right.
Old 02-01-2003, 07:36 AM

I just went to the subaru and then the Nissan site. The curb weight of a WRX 5speed is 3087 lb. and the curb of an Auto 2K2 Se is 3357 lb.
His WRX is quite a bit lighter. That's really awesome that an auto Max can hang with a WRX like that.
Old 02-01-2003, 01:31 PM

Originally posted by Guru
I had a WRX until yesterday and with my Stage III package had 420 HP and was low 12 second car on street tires. All bolt ons of course. Highway power was ungodly to say the least. I had no problems at all killing E46 M3's and C5 Vettes. I put it back to stock and traded her in on a 03 Maxima SE for my little brother. I should have left a note in the glovebox for the new owner:
"This car ran low 12's"
I have a deposit on an STi and should be able to get about 600 HP out of that with bolt ons. Bottom line? Stock is one thing but those WRX's can be vicious if tuned right.
How much $$$ are we talkin? What it comes down to is if you have the cash you can make your car go as fast as you want. No matter how much hp you have in your WRX - it's still a WRX and it's fugly. At least the Maxima, BMWs and Corvettes are classy cars. I wouldn't want to take my wife out in a riced-out WRX...looks friggin lame. The Maxima is just an all-around much nicer car.

Different strokes for different folks I guess....
Old 02-01-2003, 07:47 PM

Stage III is $7500 and takes power from 227 HP to 420 HP on pump 93 octane fuel. More power is possible on race fuel. No NOS and all can be installed by customer. I don't know of any Maxima running low 12's on street tires with only $7500 invested in it.
Old 02-01-2003, 07:54 PM
VQ Wizard

Stage III is $7500 and takes power from 227 HP to 420 HP on pump 93 octane fuel. More power is possible on race fuel. No NOS and all can be installed by customer. I don't know of any Maxima running low 12's on street tires with only $7500 invested in it.

Because it's very difficult to get a Maxima into the 12's on ANY tires.
Old 02-01-2003, 07:59 PM

WRX can hit high 12's with as little as $2500 invested.
Old 02-01-2003, 08:00 PM

I've always said give respect where it is due. The WRX would be a fun car to have. It would also be great where all wheel drive is needed. Now this is a Maxima site, so I would guess that most people here would rather have something that is a bigger car and (ok my opinion here) a little nicer on the inside, hence a Maxima. The WRX with the right driver and low $$$ mods should (SHOULD) spake a Maxima. Now that said, you would still have to look at the thing every time you got into it... Give me the Maxima every day of the week and twice on Sunday. If my total goal was to drive fast in a straight line I would buy a 94-94 Mustang with the 5.0 (tons of mods available) and throw a blower and another few bucks on it and roast the 1/4 mile... I don't, I want to be able to give someone a ride and make them realize why I didn't buy a 3 series BMW...
Old 02-01-2003, 08:27 PM
Fastest Fantasy Maxima Evar

Originally posted by EJH Y2K SE
I've always said give respect where it is due. The WRX would be a fun car to have. It would also be great where all wheel drive is needed. Now this is a Maxima site, so I would guess that most people here would rather have something that is a bigger car and (ok my opinion here) a little nicer on the inside, hence a Maxima. The WRX with the right driver and low $$$ mods should (SHOULD) spake a Maxima. Now that said, you would still have to look at the thing every time you got into it... Give me the Maxima every day of the week and twice on Sunday. If my total goal was to drive fast in a straight line I would buy a 94-94 Mustang with the 5.0 (tons of mods available) and throw a blower and another few bucks on it and roast the 1/4 mile... I don't, I want to be able to give someone a ride and make them realize why I didn't buy a 3 series BMW...
Old 02-01-2003, 09:20 PM

>>>This makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside! cuz my friend just bought a 2k3 WRX and he's been talkin non-stop shyt about my max. I just say "We'll take it to the streets someday and I'll shut yer *** up!" but I always thought that I was going to get spanked bad. Anyways good luck on your next run and I'm lookin forward to that video. Peace.

BTW I have a 2k3 SE <<<<

Dude, if your friend got the 03 STi....then he would absolutly destroy us (i have 03 6 speed also). That car is lighter, all wheel drive and has quiet a few extra horses pulling it.
if a 227 hp 02 WRX can run the 60 in 5.4 seconds, what do you think the same car with 276 hp (??? correct me if i'm wrong with teh figures!!! please!!) would do to a 255 hp family seden that cross the 60 in 6 flat? Dude i'm not trying to put down the max here, i love it, every part of it, the sound of the VQ reving pass 6 grand makes me **** my self. But we gotta be realistic, a 03 max 6 speed (stock) vs. a 03 STi 5 speed (stock)....we will get raped off the line.
Old 02-02-2003, 11:09 AM

Originally posted by hansolo1

I just went to the subaru and then the Nissan site. The curb weight of a WRX 5speed is 3087 lb. and the curb of an Auto 2K2 Se is 3357 lb.
His WRX is quite a bit lighter. That's really awesome that an auto Max can hang with a WRX like that.
really, i thought my 2k2se was like 3270 around there. doesnt matter though; its still considerably heavier than the wrx. maybe when we take the video ill have the person videotaping in the wrx.....
Old 02-02-2003, 11:24 AM

No matter how much hp you have in your WRX - it's still a WRX and it's fugly. At least the Maxima, BMWs and Corvettes are classy cars
yeah i'm quite sure bimmer and vette owners wanna be group with maxima owners.
Dude, if your friend got the 03 STi....then he would absolutly destroy us
he would destroy most things on the road, it's supposed to be based on the 2.5L imprezza engine instead of the 2.0L, cranking out 300 HP and TQ
Wow, a shiny ugly car
wow the dwarf calling the midget short
Old 02-02-2003, 11:59 AM

Linh, you got those three things correct!

If you think about it, AWD launch is much more forgiven compared to the front wheel 255 hp launch. Max's got good speed, but without excellent launch, alot of car will be able to walk all over my 6 speed.

slickrick, you need to make sure the dude that's gonna be videotaping in the wrx weighing at least 300 pounds
Old 02-02-2003, 12:01 PM

Oh yeah i fogot, SLICKRICK, if you do get beat, which you most lilkly will, don't give up, get a few bolt ones and get your self 70 shots of Nitrous Express. Grantee you will destroy that WRX in the quater
Old 02-02-2003, 08:33 PM

well hes gonna be at least 175 hopefully. i think i will be able to take him.

lordhowe- no nitrous for me. now a 6 speed conversion....
Old 02-02-2003, 08:49 PM

IMO 7.5K running low 12s isnt impressive. If you were to put half that into a LS1 it would run high 11s. I was looking into a WRX for a while and its great to mod, but to make it fast you have to shell out $$$$.
Old 02-02-2003, 10:25 PM

MAX2000JP
low 12's isn't impressive to you? what are you driving anyways? Besides i really think it's gonna run a little faster than low 12's with 420 hp. 300hp STi stock should run in the mid 13's comfortablly, and with 120 hp and some decent tires, i'm sure it can make 12 flat. also....you tell me you can spend 3250 dollars and make a 01 SS 11 second car? dude, whatever you are smoking you need to share with us!
by the way, my father finally convereted his 02 Z06 Ls6 into the 427 CID Lingenfelter. sure it's able to run 11's now, but that was a hefty amount that he had to pay, not mention it took a little over 1 month, and shipping there and back from Delaware to Indiana wasn't cheap neither!

If you want pic, i will get some for you to proof my pop's Lingenfelter
Old 02-03-2003, 05:32 AM

Originally posted by MAX2000JP

IMO 7.5K running low 12s isnt impressive. If you were to put half that into a LS1 it would run high 11s. I was looking into a WRX for a while and its great to mod, but to make it fast you have to shell out $$$$.
LOL, yeah but remember, that's a $55,000 car. we're talking about a $23,000 car. Some guys are never satisfied I guess.
Point is try to do that with a Maxima or any other new car under $28,000 and you'll have a tough time. The new EVO will also be just as easy or even easier to make that fast as well.
Old 02-03-2003, 05:47 AM

Originally posted by MadMax1996

How much $$$ are we talkin? What it comes down to is if you have the cash you can make your car go as fast as you want.

Yep...I can build a Ford Fairlane with 500+ HP...question is...Why bother unless you like the car.
Old 02-03-2003, 06:25 AM

Originally posted by LordHowe
MAX2000JP
low 12's isn't impressive to you? what are you driving anyways? Besides i really think it's gonna run a little faster than low 12's with 420 hp. 300hp STi stock should run in the mid 13's comfortablly, and with 120 hp and some decent tires, i'm sure it can make 12 flat. also....you tell me you can spend 3250 dollars and make a 01 SS 11 second car? dude, whatever you are smoking you need to share with us!
by the way, my father finally convereted his 02 Z06 Ls6 into the 427 CID Lingenfelter. sure it's able to run 11's now, but that was a hefty amount that he had to pay, not mention it took a little over 1 month, and shipping there and back from Delaware to Indiana wasn't cheap neither!

If you want pic, i will get some for you to proof my pop's Lingenfelter
All you need is a LS F-body which are cheap. Put a new gear, heads, cams, and exhaust....high 11s with a good driver.
Old 02-03-2003, 06:29 AM

LOL, yeah but remember, that's a $55,000 car. we're talking about a $23,000 car. Some guys are never satisfied I guess.
Point is try to do that with a Maxima or any other new car under $28,000 and you'll have a tough time. The new EVO will also be just as easy or even easier to make that fast as well.
I am talking about the Camaro/Firebird LS1, which is in the ballpark of a new WRX. My point was that everyone thinks that the WRX is cheap to make fast. If you look at the kits to run 12s, its not that good of a deal. Now, you do get some decent gains from running basic bolt ons, which I personally see as a good bang for the buck.
Old 02-03-2003, 06:50 AM

Hmm, this coming from a Maxima owner? BTW, the Firebird is discontinued isn't it?
Old 02-03-2003, 08:41 AM

Hmm, this coming from a Maxima owner? BTW, the Firebird is discontinued isn't it?
yes and so is the camaro.
Old 02-03-2003, 11:13 AM

Hmm, this coming from a Maxima owner?
Whats your point???
Old 02-03-2003, 05:03 PM

Originally posted by MAX2000JP

My point was that everyone thinks that the WRX is cheap to make fast. If you look at the kits to run 12s, its not that good of a deal. Now, you do get some decent gains from running basic bolt ons, which I personally see as a good bang for the buck.
I have to agree with Max2000. While its relatively inexpensive to get a stock WRX 5sp to run in the mid-upper 13s, the ones I've seen running 12s and under have upgraded turbos, intercoolers, fuel pumps, ignition, etc,...; NOT a cheap proposition!

Quick Reply: me and wrx go at it.