5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Y-Pipes

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2003, 05:22 PM

Y-Pipes

I'm sure many of you have already answered this question and/or been a part of a thread in the past that related to this subject, but I need some advice regarding Y-pipes. I have a 2k1 SE with most of the simple bolt ons. Greddy Exhaust, Stillen Intake, Underdrive Pulley, full suspension, etc. etc. One mod that I always wanted to go with, but was hesitant was the y-pipe. Once installed, does the check engine light stay on. And if it does, do I need a chip or recal the ECU? I keep getting different answers from people I speak to, so I thought not ask the pros at this. Thanks.
Old 01-31-2003, 06:14 PM
Da Roller Coaster!

Re: Y-Pipes

Originally posted by Motownmax
I'm sure many of you have already answered this question and/or been a part of a thread in the past that related to this subject, but I need some advice regarding Y-pipes. I have a 2k1 SE with most of the simple bolt ons. Greddy Exhaust, Stillen Intake, Underdrive Pulley, full suspension, etc. etc. One mod that I always wanted to go with, but was hesitant was the y-pipe. Once installed, does the check engine light stay on. And if it does, do I need a chip or recal the ECU? I keep getting different answers from people I speak to, so I thought not ask the pros at this. Thanks.
Binding that you have the correct y-pipe for your car (Cali or Fed spec), all O2 sensors were handled with car, and you disconnected the battery (positive and negative terminal), and installed everything correctly then the SES light should not come on at all.
Old 01-31-2003, 06:20 PM

Re: Re: Y-Pipes

Originally posted by foodmanry

Binding that you have the correct y-pipe for your car (Cali or Fed spec), all O2 sensors were handled with car, and you disconnected the battery (positive and negative terminal), and installed everything correctly then the SES light should not come on at all.
Thanks for the info. Is there a difference in the pipe that I order? Do I need to call out for a Cali or Fed spec? I live in Michigan and was leaning towards the Cattman. Any thoughts?
Old 01-31-2003, 06:25 PM
Da Roller Coaster!

Re: Re: Re: Y-Pipes

Thanks for the info. Is there a difference in the pipe that I order? Do I need to call out for a Cali or Fed spec? I live in Michigan and was leaning towards the Cattman. Any thoughts?
Yes the placement of the 02 sensors are different. Also I believe the length is a bit different as well. Cattman is an excellent y-pipe especially for a winter area like Michigan.

The easiest way to see if you have a Cali or Fed spec car is to open the hood and facing the engine bay from the front of the car there are 3 or 4 plugs on the front of the engine right behind the radiator. If you have 3 plugs, then you have a Fed spec car, if you have 4 plugs then you have a Cali spec car.
Old 01-31-2003, 06:50 PM
IMBOUTTOBUSTSOMEGHOSTS

Re: Re: Re: Y-Pipes

all 2k1s are cali spec. the 2k's are a mix of fed and cali spec.
Old 02-01-2003, 09:26 AM
Da Roller Coaster!

Re: Re: Re: Re: Y-Pipes

Originally posted by sloppymax

all 2k1s are cali spec. the 2k's are a mix of fed and cali spec.
Oh yeah...I didn't pay attention to that in his original post. You got Cali spec for sure then!
Old 02-01-2003, 12:42 PM

If you check out my Maxima site, you can see pics of the Stillen Y-pipe. It's a two piece design in which you use both pieces if you have a Fed spec (which you don't), otherwise you use just the rear section. You could always do a conversion like I did if you want to use both pieces. Either way, the Y-pipe is the biggest performance upgrade you can do (excluding nitrous & forced induction that is). Also if you visit my site, don't be scared of by my comments on the loudness of my Stillen/Greddy exhaust combo. That was using only a Greddy muffler with custom piping and a different resonator... not the system that you have. Happy Modding!