5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Can't Afford Hi-Octane, Poss. Issues

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2003, 09:02 PM

Can't Afford Hi-Octane, Poss. Issues

So in Los Angeles, the price of 91 octane gasoline is absolutely ridiculous, between 1.90 and 1.99. Anyhow, i am, thinking of switching to 89 or 87, and I'd like to know from you all is there anyone who uses 89 or 87, issues that may arise, and what to expect if I do this? Thanks in advance, and I did do a search and didn't really come up with much...

Neal
Old 01-31-2003, 09:08 PM

Re: Can't Afford Hi-Octane, Poss. Issues

Originally posted by Neal728
So in Los Angeles, the price of 91 octane gasoline is absolutely ridiculous, between 1.90 and 1.99. Anyhow, i am, thinking of switching to 89 or 87, and I'd like to know from you all is there anyone who uses 89 or 87, issues that may arise, and what to expect if I do this? Thanks in advance, and I did do a search and didn't really come up with much...

Neal
What mods are you running? If you have extensive mods, such as boost or N2O, I would not run less than 91 octane.
Old 01-31-2003, 09:17 PM
The silent but deadly Moderator

Just dont rag your car on lower octane and you should be fine. If you have to drive up hills, take it easy. If you want to have fun, fill up with the good stuff. Obviously you'll have to merge and whatnot, just keep an ear to it, if you hear pinging, back off...

You may find your loss in MPG may negate your savings tho
Old 01-31-2003, 10:18 PM
Clay Aiken has fancy genitals

Originally posted by TimW
You may find your loss in MPG may negate your savings tho
I always had better MPG when I used the 87 versus the 91. I thought the higher octane burned quicker.

The good stuff only ends up being $3-$4 more than the cheap stuff. Personally, I wouldn't risk it.
Old 01-31-2003, 10:21 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Neal
Premium is only like extra 1.5 to 2 dollars per fillup. Just cut out gum or some such and make up the loss using premium that way.
Old 01-31-2003, 10:25 PM

You are N/A...87 is fine.

Owners manual says that at least 87 can be used (page 9-3).
Old 01-31-2003, 10:44 PM

i rather starve and feed my max with 91 ;-)
Old 01-31-2003, 11:00 PM
The silent but deadly Moderator

hey TellschMax02! havent seen you around much lately.. love those wheels..
Old 01-31-2003, 11:06 PM

Originally posted by TimW
hey TellschMax02! havent seen you around much lately.. love those wheels..
It has been awhile Tim. I miss those wheels dearly. I sold them a while ago to help fund my project car.

I thought I would take a look around here and see if anything is new. I miss the maxi community.

Brian
Old 02-01-2003, 05:20 AM
Clay Aiken has fancy genitals

Originally posted by asu174

I always had better MPG when I used the 87 versus the 91. I thought the higher octane burned quicker.
Can anyone touch on this?
Old 02-01-2003, 06:36 AM

The higher the octane the slower it burns and it burns hotter. Using lower octane causes predetonation meaning that the fuel actually explodes rather than igniting the way it should. Over the long term you could be looking at a car that performs horribly.
Old 02-01-2003, 08:12 AM

Originally posted by Virus
The higher the octane the slower it burns and it burns hotter. Using lower octane causes predetonation meaning that the fuel actually explodes rather than igniting the way it should. Over the long term you could be looking at a car that performs horribly.
I thought it was the other way around? Higher octane fuels were harder to ignite (which helps prevent detonation) but once lit, the flame propagation is faster and cooler than other fuels. I thought the second reason was why the energy content in the higher octane fuels is actually lower.
Old 02-01-2003, 09:07 AM

Dont do this. 5th gens ping more easily then 4th gens. I have lots of experience on this because I own both cars and I drive A LOT.
And not all 87 gas are the same. Actually, you might be able to get by with Chevron 87. I LOVE CHEVRON !!
Anyways, when you put 87 in your max, chances are its gonna ping, and the engines gonna retard the timing, and performance and MPG is going to suffer.

If you wanna run some tests, try using varous kinds of 87 gas around your area. I bet some brand will ping lot more than others. After you find this, start filling with the 87 gas that pings the least.
Old 02-01-2003, 09:09 AM

Eat Cheaper food, and keep the car drinking Premium would be my decision.

or Keep the car in Garage and take public transport.

Or Get a motorized scooter from Sharper Image
Old 02-01-2003, 09:14 AM
Da Roller Coaster!

You will get more carbon deposit buildup using 87 than 91.

Seriously just cut out that Carl's Jr. one time a week and there's your savings.
Old 02-01-2003, 09:43 AM
lcf

Can someone explain what pinging sounds like?
Old 02-01-2003, 11:38 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by lcf
Can someone explain what pinging sounds like?

Almost like a ticking sound that is in rhythm with the engine speed.

After using nothing but 93 octane for the life of my car, I recently took a road trip and used three tanks of 87. My car ran like $HIT!!! Use the good stuff.
Old 02-01-2003, 01:37 PM

Originally posted by iwannabmw

I thought it was the other way around? Higher octane fuels were harder to ignite (which helps prevent detonation) but once lit, the flame propagation is faster and cooler than other fuels. I thought the second reason was why the energy content in the higher octane fuels is actually lower.
You are correct.

http://www.leeric.lsu.edu/bgbb/7/ecep/trans/b/b.htm

http://zhome.com/ZCMnL/PICS/detonation/detonation.html

http://zhome.com/ZCMnL/PICS/detonation/detonation.html
Old 02-01-2003, 02:06 PM

I don't know if the two events are related but here it goes: I've never had a problem with the Max and have always used premium (91+) gas from Chevron or Sam's Club. A few days after my wife accidentally put 87 grade the CEL came on with rear O2 sensor codes. I reset the ECU and refilled with premium gas and the CEL hasn't come back. Your mileage (pun intended) may vary.
Old 02-01-2003, 02:07 PM

Originally posted by hokiemax
Dont do this. 5th gens ping more easily then 4th gens. I have lots of experience on this because I own both cars and I drive A LOT.
And not all 87 gas are the same. Actually, you might be able to get by with Chevron 87. I LOVE CHEVRON !!
Anyways, when you put 87 in your max, chances are its gonna ping, and the engines gonna retard the timing, and performance and MPG is going to suffer.

If you wanna run some tests, try using varous kinds of 87 gas around your area. I bet some brand will ping lot more than others. After you find this, start filling with the 87 gas that pings the least.
also different brands of 93 octane gas run differently.... for some reason Cheveron gas and some shell stations i goto 93 octain gas runs like crap in my car ie pinging and such, two weeks ago i started using BP 93 octain and havent heard one ping yet.
Old 02-01-2003, 04:40 PM

Originally posted by SG01MaxSE

Almost like a ticking sound that is in rhythm with the engine speed.

After using nothing but 93 octane for the life of my car, I recently took a road trip and used three tanks of 87. My car ran like $HIT!!! Use the good stuff.
crap... i get that ticking sound too. that means my car pings every cold start. i mean EVERY cold start. haven't heard the engine run smooth yet. i thought that ticking noise was normal. dammit. i thought using higher octane would be less pinging. because i have used 93 octane when i had 250 miles on my car. i am at 17k now. would using a HIGHER octane than 93 reduce the pinging? maybe using 94? btw, i live in the plains. don't need to worry about elevation or hills.
Old 02-01-2003, 07:26 PM

Originally posted by chi02max

crap... i get that ticking sound too. that means my car pings every cold start. i mean EVERY cold start. haven't heard the engine run smooth yet. i thought that ticking noise was normal. dammit. i thought using higher octane would be less pinging. because i have used 93 octane when i had 250 miles on my car. i am at 17k now. would using a HIGHER octane than 93 reduce the pinging? maybe using 94? btw, i live in the plains. don't need to worry about elevation or hills.
VQ's tick. Always have and always will. As the injectors fire electrically, they can create this sound. As they age, the noise can increase.

Ping (knock or whatever) is a more of a metallic sound that should only occur under load with large throttle openings. If you are really hearing knocking at all times, there is a serious issue with your car. I think what you're hearing is normal and are confusing it with actual knocking, which can be very subtle to detect sometimes.
Old 02-02-2003, 12:38 AM

Originally posted by iwannabmw

VQ's tick. Always have and always will. As the injectors fire electrically, they can create this sound. As they age, the noise can increase.

Ping (knock or whatever) is a more of a metallic sound that should only occur under load with large throttle openings. If you are really hearing knocking at all times, there is a serious issue with your car. I think what you're hearing is normal and are confusing it with actual knocking, which can be very subtle to detect sometimes.
pheww.. thanks a lot. i thought something was wrong, but not anymore. speaking of this tick. i do hear this metallic tick. the tick when you turn off you car and the engine cools down. you hear that ticking sound. thats what it sounds like when my car is warmed up. you can hear it from the cabin, thats how loud it is. i know its coming from the engine. hehe. but thats all i know. and going full throttle 6 times. run after run. and at the end of the 6th run, the engine tick sound comes more often. is something overheating?
Old 02-02-2003, 05:17 AM

Neal
Run 93 or higher, I tried that cheap stuff and noticed a loss in milage, and weaker performance. The 93 is well worth the extra buck or two per fillup. It pay's for itself in higher milage! Besides isn't your Max worth it?

John
Old 02-02-2003, 08:19 AM

Originally posted by chi02max

pheww.. thanks a lot. i thought something was wrong, but not anymore. speaking of this tick. i do hear this metallic tick. the tick when you turn off you car and the engine cools down. you hear that ticking sound. thats what it sounds like when my car is warmed up. you can hear it from the cabin, thats how loud it is. i know its coming from the engine. hehe. but thats all i know. and going full throttle 6 times. run after run. and at the end of the 6th run, the engine tick sound comes more often. is something overheating?
Without hearing it personally, I wouldn't want to guess as to what's causing your particular noise. Based on your description, it does not sound like engine knock to me.
Old 02-02-2003, 08:33 AM

Sorry I am not flaming just wondering:

I am not sure how much sense this line of questioning makes.

In all areas I have ever lived in, the difference between premium and regular, stays the same in absolute terms, even when prices rise a lot.
ie 10 cents most places wetyehr a gallon is $1 or $2.

That means the more prices rise the <cheaper > premium is <compared> to regular gas because 10 cents diffrence out of 2 bucks, is a lot less than of out of $1.

In other words the percentage of savings one can realize by running regular, drops as gas prices rise, when compared to the total gas budget.

If anything any mpg penalty is going to hit even harder making teh economics of this action questionable.

I never understood why in times of hi gas prices PPL ask for running reg, if anything it should be the other way around for the reasons outlined above.

Fred...