5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Question installing AE Kit + Paint ?

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2003, 01:37 PM

Question installing AE Kit + Paint ?

So I got my AE Kit last night and everything looks ok. Two things,

the right front piece under the fog light is actually primed down down down, it's a tanish yellowish color, a friend told me im gonna need to put flex on it and then paint and then clear. thats the only piece thats messed up the rest are ok. could i just get a spray can from the car paint store and keep my fingers crossed?

next, the side skirts have those plastic clips, do i drill into my body and put them in? WOuld it be bad if i just used 3m double sided tape?
Old 02-03-2003, 05:35 AM

I'm curious about this too...anyone got an answer?
Old 02-03-2003, 02:25 PM

called nissan body shop and they want 1000 for the install, without the paint i asked the guy who he got his $hit from cause it's really messed him up....

anyhow, i guess i need a templete to know where to drill the holes which I DONT have since my kit is used, if i cant find any place thatll do it for 1-200 i might sell it...
Old 02-03-2003, 03:00 PM

Okay, here goes...
I installed my own body kit and yes, that template will help you out quite a bit. However, while the template is far from perfect, it provides a nice guage as to where you have to drill. For the side skirts, take the clips off, they should slide right out. Then tape the HEAD (cotton) portion of a Q-tip to where the barbs on the clip should mount on the body. Do these for ALL of the clips. Tape the two halves of the side skrits together and have someone help you with this next part. Place a small amount of toothpaste on each of the Q-tip heads. Then with help, align the skirts up and push them against the body. Find the center of each toothpaste mark and use an ice pick to tap a mark there. DO NOT remove the toothpaste UNTIL you are ready to drill. The ice pick mark blends in with all of the other rock chips I'm sure you've accrued. Once you are ready to drill, remove each toothpaste mark one at a time and then drill into the metal body. I'm not sure what size the hole needs to be, I forgot. But once you drill, fill each hole generously with the rubberized undercoating in the spray can and let dry. Once dry, dry fit the skirts on with the black mounting clips AND new 3M double sided foam tape and once you think they should line up, mount and you're done.

Try doing a search, cause many have asked about this install before. You may get answers/tricks for the front and rear install. I know jkrazter wanted to know about it, but he took his to a body shop. Just be paitient with this install and the results are rewarding. As for getting that part of your kit painted, I would get it professionally done. Don't go the DIY spray can way. The install will require a lot of dry fitting. Hope this helps. Good luck and let me know if you have any further questions. After reading this post, it sounds kinda bossy, but I didn't intend to mean it that way, it's just very consice. If I were to do a write up about it, it would seriously take me a whole weekend. It took me two full weekends do completely install the kit.
Old 02-03-2003, 06:10 PM

thanks for the help max-velocity, but some guy from RI emailed and said he would do the install for 150 so I might just go with him, less hassles, plus its so cold I just don't wannahave to deal with this right now
Old 02-03-2003, 10:33 PM

Originally posted by AdamK
thanks for the help max-velocity, but some guy from RI emailed and said he would do the install for 150 so I might just go with him, less hassles, plus its so cold I just don't wannahave to deal with this right now
Hey, sounds good. Good luck with the install and defintely take pics when you're done!