5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Potential Cold Air Intake Problems?

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2003, 07:23 PM

Potential Cold Air Intake Problems?

Is an aftermarket Cold Air Intake a bad idea to own here in the midwest? Unlike Arizona or Florida, when it rains in the midwest it stays wet for at least a day or so. Here in Indy, we have our heaviest rainstorms in May and October with regular rain showers throughout the other months. Being a motorcycle fanatic, I only drive my vehicle when it is wet and/or the temperature is below 48 degrees because I'm a white collar worker and my appearance is very important to my job function so parking my Max is not an option. Anyway, I'd like to install a CAI but, I'm afraid that I'll have a bad encounter with water entering the engine if I put an aftermarket intake on my Max or my wife's Supercrew. Any suggestions/advice? Also which manufacturers are good looking, overpriced or just plain functional?
Old 02-02-2003, 08:29 PM

Re: Potential Cold Air Intake Problems?

Originally posted by LegalNinja
Is an aftermarket Cold Air Intake a bad idea to own here in the midwest? Unlike Arizona or Florida, when it rains in the midwest it stays wet for at least a day or so. Here in Indy, we have our heaviest rainstorms in May and October with regular rain showers throughout the other months. Being a motorcycle fanatic, I only drive my vehicle when it is wet and/or the temperature is below 48 degrees because I'm a white collar worker and my appearance is very important to my job function so parking my Max is not an option. Anyway, I'd like to install a CAI but, I'm afraid that I'll have a bad encounter with water entering the engine if I put an aftermarket intake on my Max or my wife's Supercrew. Any suggestions/advice? Also which manufacturers are good looking, overpriced or just plain functional?
If you are not lowered, you would really have to drive through some pretty deep water to get it into the Injen CAI(don't know about the others). If you are concerned AEM makes a bypass valve http://www.optauto.com/webstore/prod...1317&last=1317
that is designed for the hydrolock reason.

Quote from AEM: AEM has developed an Air Bypass Valve for its Cold Air Induction Systems. This valve installs on the intake pie along the same axis as the throttle body and eliminates any chance of water ingestion should the filter element become wet from rain, hail, sleet, snow, flood or any other scenario where the filter element could encounter or become completely submerged in water. Should a drop in pressure occur within the pipe, the valve shuts down induction at the filter and routes incoming air through the valve's external orifices, eliminating any chance of water ingestion. The Air Bypass Valves are available in three different sizes to accommodate each AEM intake diameter.