5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Car Cover

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2003, 12:23 AM

Car Cover

Thinking about getting a car cover for my MAX. They range from the universal type at 25 to the cutom ones of upwards of 280. I only have a carport and just want something that will keep the sun away as well as dust since it starts to get dirty from the moment I get done cleaning it. Also one that is made to be taken and removed often that will not scratch the paint also. Does it really make a difference as the material? Is the universal ones alright?
Old 02-03-2003, 05:38 AM

Re: Car Cover

Originally posted by bahkhok
Thinking about getting a car cover for my MAX. They range from the universal type at 25 to the cutom ones of upwards of 280. I only have a carport and just want something that will keep the sun away as well as dust since it starts to get dirty from the moment I get done cleaning it. Also one that is made to be taken and removed often that will not scratch the paint also. Does it really make a difference as the material? Is the universal ones alright?
My vote is for the custom fitted one.

I bought one years ago from these guys for my '97 Trans Am:

Cover Craft

They have an array of different covers depending on your needs. I think I ended up paying a little less than $300 but it was worth it. As far as the scratches, none of the good covers will scratch but dirt under neath it will. There is no point to covering a dirty car - it should always be clean. And when you do it you are supposed to "unfold" the cover on the car. Not throw it across and pull it.

My car was in a storage garage that was pretty dusty and every time I went to take my car for a ride it was as clean as when I covered it (which was up to a month some times). The only problem I had was that the tire dressing would make a mess of the cover where the tires were...not much you can do about that. I never ended up washing it, but this thing would only fit in an industrial size washing machine. I will say that it can be a pain in the butt to take it off and on if you drive the car often, but if you don't drive it every day it's not so bad.

The materials make a HUGE difference. First, they have to be breathable and second none are good at everything. Some are stronger in certian areas while weak in others (ie: ding protection vs. small size).

Hey, since you have a car port perhaps you could mount the cover to some retractable cables so you can just raise it off the car? That would be cool.

*edit* I should add that people with black cars are discouraged from getting covers. My friend has a black Accord and was told by several people "Any other color and I would get a cover, not for black".
Old 02-03-2003, 07:05 AM

Re: Re: Car Cover

[QUOTEI should add that people with black cars are discouraged from getting covers. My friend has a black Accord and was told by several people "Any other color and I would get a cover, not for black". [/B][/QUOTE]

That sucks b/c I have a dark blue MAX.
Old 02-03-2003, 07:55 AM

got one - maybe I would sell it

bahkhok,

I got one - custom fit for my 2000 GLE. I might be willing to sell it if you're interested. I have one that is optimized for UV protection because I live in Texas. I would have too look up the material, but was one of those Kimberly Clark fabrics that is supposed to resist scratching paint and breath so moisture won't collect on the car.

If you have and SE or a GLE with a spoiler it won't fit. The cover is very tight.

I never use it. After a while I just got tired of taking on and off every day. Off in the morning, back on at work, off at end of day, back on in evening.

If you travel a lot or leave your car places like airports they are a great. If you only plan on putting on at night and off in morning, maybe you could live with it.

FYI - I also had a custom fit cover for my pickup, which was burgundy colored (pretty dark). I would not say the cover caused many scratches, but every so often you may want to detail your car with some type of swirl remover. If you keep your car highly polished/waxed - I don't think you will have a problem.

I would recommend a California Duster - it helps if you dust the car before you put the cover on. Also, those quick detailing sprays are a very good investment if you keep your car clean. You could dust it, then QD the car - your finish will be very slick and mostly dust free so it will reduce the amount of swirls.
Old 02-03-2003, 07:57 AM

Re: Re: Re: Car Cover

Originally posted by bahkhok
[QUOTEI should add that people with black cars are discouraged from getting covers. My friend has a black Accord and was told by several people "Any other color and I would get a cover, not for black".
That sucks b/c I have a dark blue MAX. [/B][/QUOTE]

Well, dark blue is different than black I guess. Black is notorious for swirl marks and scratches but if your car isn't as prone I don't see you having a problem. Also, remember that it is the dirt that will scratch, not the cover. If you plan to put it on only after you wash it than you should be in business. My buddy has a parking garage and lives in an apt so it is not practical for him to wash it every time he wants to cover it.
Old 02-03-2003, 08:10 AM

I have the cover from Nissan. App. $100 and it fits really well (even has pockets for the mirrors). It sems like a quality cover and I have had no problems and I have a black Max. Because I keep it waxed the cover is kind of hard to put on and off. It slides on the super smooth finish. lol If there is a breeze, it's a wrestling match. I think it's worth it, though, because I work in an industrial area. Keeps car clean and contaminate free.
Old 02-03-2003, 08:14 AM
lcf

http://www.propercarcare.com/carcovers.html