5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

To deflect or not to deflect.....that is the question...

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2003, 06:46 AM

To deflect or not to deflect.....that is the question...

What's up, guys? Finally, I got to drive around in my new 2k3 6spd SE this weekend and let me just take a second to say...um....DAYAM! That thing is fun to drive!

One thing that I realized that I did not get was a wind deflector. Some of you guys would have a better idea of the pros and cons of having one. Could you help me out?

- badabing -
Old 02-03-2003, 06:51 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Re: To deflect or not to deflect.....that is the question...

Originally posted by badabing
What's up, guys? Finally, I got to drive around in my new 2k3 6spd SE this weekend and let me just take a second to say...um....DAYAM! That thing is fun to drive!

One thing that I realized that I did not get was a wind deflector. Some of you guys would have a better idea of the pros and cons of having one. Could you help me out?

- badabing -
They cut down on wind noise. If wind noise bothers you, you may want to get one. If you can find one. They are pretty much on national backorder. Some people have found them, but they are nowhere to be found here in Atlanta.
Old 02-03-2003, 07:06 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

To damage or not to damage...Thats the answer...

Every 02-03 I've seen that has the deflector has some amount of damage to the paint. On mine it's not to bad but it still needs to be touched up. It depends how long you have it on. I have seen some that have wear clean through the clear coat and into the paint. The weather strip in the front collects dirt, slight movements at speed sand away at your paint...
I will never put one on again!

If you want to cut down on wind noise when you have the SR open crack the rear windows slightly. It will equalize the pressure and be nice and quiet with less wind.
Old 02-03-2003, 07:18 AM

Personally, i don't like the wind deflectors. They take away from looks, mess up the paint, and are a pain in the butt to get the water soaked up after you washed the car.
Old 02-03-2003, 07:42 AM

Re: To damage or not to damage...Thats the answer...

Originally posted by maximaman777
Every 02-03 I've seen that has the deflector has some amount of damage to the paint. On mine it's not to bad but it still needs to be touched up. It depends how long you have it on. I have seen some that have wear clean through the clear coat and into the paint. The weather strip in the front collects dirt, slight movements at speed sand away at your paint...
I will never put one on again!

If you want to cut down on wind noise when you have the SR open crack the rear windows slightly. It will equalize the pressure and be nice and quiet with less wind.
Old 02-03-2003, 07:46 AM

Thanks for the input, guys. I do like that when you open up the SR, there is less noise but I don't want to worry about messing up the paint or snything like that.

Don't know what I'm going to do yet...
Old 02-03-2003, 08:30 AM
jjs

Thanks for the input, guys. I do like that when you open up the SR, there is less noise but I don't want to worry about messing up the paint or snything like that.

DON'T DO IT!!!

My AE came with the damn thing already installed and when I took it off, major abrasions all over the place.

By the way, they DO NOT reduce wind noise that much and the lousy things collect water and drip it out of the corners, making it very annoying trying to get a fully dried car after a wash.
Old 02-03-2003, 08:35 AM

Does anybody know if Nissan will be willing to fix the paint damage that these things caused to our 2K2s? There is an obvious line that goes all the way around where the thing used to be. What do you think?
Old 02-03-2003, 08:38 AM
jjs

Originally posted by Ma><iManiac
Does anybody know if Nissan will be willing to fix the paint damage that these things caused to our 2K2s? There is an obvious line that goes all the way around where the thing used to be. What do you think?
This is NOT a 2k2 only problem.

Very likely not. They will claim that your recourse is:

- to return the car to the point at which it was purchased (if bought with the defelctor already installed

OR

- that you should not have had the option added at a later point and it is not their responsibility

Basically, whatever you claim, it will still not be their fault.
Old 02-03-2003, 09:04 AM

My dealer recognized that this was a factory installed option that damaged my car. He said he will detail the car to remove as much of the damage as possible. I realize that this is far short of repainting the car, but it beats the heck out of nothing.
Old 02-03-2003, 09:19 AM

My dealers responce was that to fix it they would sand the WHOLE roof repaint it and do a blend on the pillars. they were gonna get a DM involved but I was like F that. As I said my damage isn't that bad cause I took it off shortly after getting the car. It has dimples in the clear coat from being put on to tight and probably before the paint was done curing.
I'm taking it to Southern Colors here in Atlanta this week to see what they have to say. I'll post results.
Old 02-03-2003, 09:56 AM

Don't do it. I took mine off the day I bought my car. Paint was damaged little bit, but I fixed it with some rubbing compound. I also think car looks better without it. I still have mine in the basement (unless wife threw it away), so if you want one, email me and i'll check it out. So you don't have to pay full price for it.