4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Rear View Mirror SWAP

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2000, 11:24 AM

Question... Can the 2001 maxima Auto Dimming Rear View Mirror, be SWAPED for the 1999...

How much elec. work is needed??

I have a Lincoln Navigator, everytime i get behind a car i light it up ... I need the auto dimming mirror.. has anyone done this..??

Thanks

Bluefish

Soon to acquire:
99 SE Limited RED 5 speed
Stock For Now
Old 11-30-2000, 11:58 AM
Wayne

I have, Dont remember the name of the company but I have the info if you need it. I payed about $247.00 including shipping. Its a Auto Dimming with the temp and compast. Took about a hour to install myself.

Old 11-30-2000, 12:28 PM

Originally posted by Wayne
I have, Dont remember the name of the company but I have the info if you need it. I payed about $247.00 including shipping. Its a Auto Dimming with the temp and compast. Took about a hour to install myself.
please forward me the info... I would like to intall this asap..

Is it the 2001 max mirror or an aftermarket model??

Bluefish
Old 11-30-2000, 01:02 PM
Disco Biscuit

Sounds nice

Let me know as well....
Old 11-30-2000, 04:00 PM
Needs non-Maxima Friends

there's auto dimming on the 96-99 i30's. you probably can get those to fit if the 2k1 doesnt.
Old 11-30-2000, 05:20 PM

Try this...

http://www.jcwhitney.com/product.jhtml?CATID=53735
Old 12-01-2000, 06:55 AM

Re: Try this...

Thanks for your help with this....

Will look into it next week after i pick up the car...

Peace,

Bluefish
Old 01-17-2001, 03:04 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

I found this topic when searching for auto dimming rear view mirrors and wondered if anyone has actually installed one of these. I went to that link and it said that wiring through the headliner is required and that you need the extra bracked for imports. I would really like an auto dimming mirror for my 97 GLE and would like to install one but I am not sure about running wires thru the headliner. Is it hard? What does it involve? Thanks in advance.
Old 01-17-2001, 03:12 PM
MAXDriver

Wayne

Hey Wayne,
Lend your fellow Maxima owners a hand and post wiring and installation intruction please.........
Thanks

Old 01-18-2001, 04:51 AM

Re: Wayne

Originally posted by MAXDriver
Hey Wayne,
Lend your fellow Maxima owners a hand and post wiring and installation intruction please.........
Thanks

I spoke to the dealer, they want $ 125.00 for the 2001 mirror and approx. 1.5 to 2 hours @ $ 75.00 an hour for the install. They said it becomes more difficult if your maxima has auto climate control with amb temp. ( outside temp feature) the mirror i was getting has dimming, compas, and temp control, plus if it gets below 32 degrees, ( which it does offten) then the words ICE shows up. Cool ...
Old 01-18-2001, 05:37 AM
CustomMax

Re: Try this...

$250??? That is one expensive *** mirror. You can get a Stillen front lip and have it painted for that. How hard are they to install and how does the final product look? Is it worth the extra $150 for the temperature and compass?

Old 01-18-2001, 05:48 AM

Re: Re: Try this...

Originally posted by CustomMax
$250??? That is one expensive *** mirror. You can get a Stillen front lip and have it painted for that. How hard are they to install and how does the final product look? Is it worth the extra $150 for the temperature and compass?
I got this same mirror ( the JC Whitney) from the dealer for the price i stated. I guess they take the balance as labor and profit.

As for you comment " Is it worth it" well get in front of an Audi S4 and race him, while looking for cops behind you, or a lexus GS 300 with the upgraded lights, or My Lincoln Navigator, forget it you can see nothing when they pull up at a light.

I thought it was fun before i gave my wife the navigator to pull up REAL CLOSE to civics and Miatas the whole fu@$ing car looked like a spaceship was comming to get them. Everyone turns around to see what the hell is so bright ...hehe. Not so funny anymore... my wife had to follow me home again last week from a party and it sucked...

Just my experence, Comfort=$$$$
Old 01-18-2001, 06:02 AM
CustomMax

Re: Re: Re: Try this...

Originally posted by bluefish
I got this same mirror ( the JC Whitney) from the dealer for the price i stated. I guess they take the balance as labor and profit.

As for you comment " Is it worth it" well get in front of an Audi S4 and race him, while looking for cops behind you, or a lexus GS 300 with the upgraded lights, or My Lincoln Navigator, forget it you can see nothing when they pull up at a light.

I thought it was fun before i gave my wife the navigator to pull up REAL CLOSE to civics and Miatas the whole fu@$ing car looked like a spaceship was comming to get them. Everyone turns around to see what the hell is so bright ...hehe. Not so funny anymore... my wife had to follow me home again last week from a party and it sucked...

So I am still somewhat confused as to what the purpose of this mirror is. DOes it blind people behind you, or what is it supposed to make you see out the back better?

Old 01-18-2001, 06:04 AM
napster

To ALL:
Check out the mitocorp.com website for the gentex auto dimming mirror. It is about $100.00 with free shipping. Installation instructions are also online. This mirror is OEM on certain Toyota's, Cadillacs and others. If anybody has installed one please please post a pic.

Napster

Old 01-18-2001, 06:07 AM
CustomMax

Originally posted by napster
To ALL:
Check out the mitocorp.com website for the gentex auto dimming mirror. It is about $100.00 with free shipping. Installation instructions are also online. This mirror is OEM on certain Toyota's, Cadillacs and others. If anybody has installed one please please post a pic.

Napster
But does that mirror come with the digital temperature and compass control? The mirror from JC Whitney without them is also $98 bucks, so that's no special deal.

Old 01-18-2001, 06:08 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Try this...

Originally posted by bluefish

So I am still somewhat confused as to what the purpose of this mirror is. DOes it blind people behind you, or what is it supposed to make you see out the back better?

The mirror is electricly charged, so that upon recieving light ( bright) light it dim's with a blue tint to it. So you can see out the back when someone behind you has their brights on, or the other examples i gave... Get into a lincoln or caddy at night sometime and check it out.. My buddies BMW M5 has this for the Side Mirrors as well, Very cool when crusing the highway with the big rigs..

I have bad night vision, very sensitive to light
Old 01-18-2001, 06:13 AM
CustomMax

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Try this...

The mirror is electricly charged, so that upon recieving light ( bright) light it dim's with a blue tint to it. So you can see out the back when someone behind you has their brights on, or the other examples i gave... Get into a lincoln or caddy at night sometime and check it out.. My buddies BMW M5 has this for the Side Mirrors as well, Very cool when crusing the highway with the big rigs..

I have bad night vision, very sensitive to light [/I]
Yeah, my M5 comes equiped with them too. J/K Alright, thanks for the info, I'll check 'em out.

Old 01-18-2001, 06:23 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Try this...

I have bad night vision, very sensitive to light
Yeah, my M5 comes equiped with them too. J/K Alright, thanks for the info, I'll check 'em out. [/I]
I said my Friends M 5... I would not be here i would be at http://www.bimmer.org

Guess you have never seen one up close.... I get to drive his once a week for lunch. I pay for lunch he lets me drive their.. I wonder wy We keep getting farther and farther away from his job... :smile:
Old 01-18-2001, 06:48 AM
Wayne

Hey Bluefish did you ever get the mirror? I saw you guys talk about Gentex that the one that have. I love it. Its not hard to install. I can send you a email. I think I have a pic of it. let me know.

Old 01-18-2001, 09:00 AM

Pic please

Hey Bluefish did you ever get the mirror? I saw you guys talk about Gentex that the one that have. I love it. Its not hard to install. I can send you a email. I think I have a pic of it. let me know.
Please send the pic and instructions. I am upgrading MANY things this spring... Waiting for the snow to melt...

I got kinda intimidated by the dealer wneh he told me that it had to be wired into the auto climate controls..

Wanted a pro-job.. But not if it can be done at home..

Thanks
Old 01-18-2001, 12:24 PM
Wayne

with the gentrex it comes with a temp sensor that I put the air dam at the botton. It works fine