5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Trunk scratch returns

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2003, 07:08 AM

Trunk scratch returns

I recently (within the last month)had my bumper and trunk lid repaired (under the TSB) for the trunk scratch problem on my 2000 GLE.

Imagine my surprise when I looked at my trunk and bumper yesterday and noticed a new scratch - not in the center like the original TSB problem, but at the corner of the trunk near the drivers side taillight.

I think I got a new problem developing as a result of reparing the original problem.

Has anyone else experienced this problem?

I'm reluctant to take it back to the same dealer because the a-hol's lost my car for two days (service advisor forgot he gave it to the body shop and apparently they don't communicate) and the norder the wrong bumper clips so it took nearly 7 days just to do that repair.

Unfortunately, I don't think the new scratch problem will be covered under warranty because it does not meet the TSB description.

Anyone looking to add a 2000 GLE to their garage? this car is starting to be more trouble than it's worth. I guess I'm not enough of a Maxima enthusiast that since i can't seem to get past all these damn problems - this is really a poorly made vehicle. I've seen cars that cost half this much put together with more quality.

When I bought this car I really loved it - it was the only car I test drove that felt like a car - I could really feel the car and the road together - but if I had known it there would be 100 different problems with it and still not over 35K miles I would have gone with the Accord even though it was boring.
Old 02-03-2003, 08:20 AM

Re: Trunk scratch returns

Originally posted by simon tx
I recently (within the last month)had my bumper and trunk lid repaired (under the TSB) for the trunk scratch problem on my 2000 GLE.

Imagine my surprise when I looked at my trunk and bumper yesterday and noticed a new scratch - not in the center like the original TSB problem, but at the corner of the trunk near the drivers side taillight.

I think I got a new problem developing as a result of reparing the original problem.

Has anyone else experienced this problem?

I'm reluctant to take it back to the same dealer because the a-hol's lost my car for two days (service advisor forgot he gave it to the body shop and apparently they don't communicate) and the norder the wrong bumper clips so it took nearly 7 days just to do that repair.

Unfortunately, I don't think the new scratch problem will be covered under warranty because it does not meet the TSB description.

Anyone looking to add a 2000 GLE to their garage? this car is starting to be more trouble than it's worth. I guess I'm not enough of a Maxima enthusiast that since i can't seem to get past all these damn problems - this is really a poorly made vehicle. I've seen cars that cost half this much put together with more quality.

When I bought this car I really loved it - it was the only car I test drove that felt like a car - I could really feel the car and the road together - but if I had known it there would be 100 different problems with it and still not over 35K miles I would have gone with the Accord even though it was boring.

I'll go look at my SE's **** at lunchtime and let ya know...I had the same TSB done, but as I recall it fixed it. Havent looked at it specifically with that in mind recently...its been below zero here until just a few days ago.

I'll let ya know what I see.

By the way, I really havent had a ton of problems with my se apart from all the usual TSB's...its been solid.
Old 02-03-2003, 09:43 AM

Re: Re: Trunk scratch returns

Just looked at mine...shows nothing wrong in that area at all after TSB done.
Old 02-03-2003, 10:58 AM

I had the same problems as you. Only worse.
First they ordered the wrong clips. The dealer blamed Nissan.
I brought it back.
They never touched up the damaged paint, and NEW marks have appeared on the right side. And maybe the old marks are worse, hard to tell.
The bumper is poorly alligned with the car. I complained but was told "all Maximas are a bit like that, that is the nature of the beast".
Anyway, my car is white, and I have discovered that the best fix is a strip of white electric tape. It too gets marked, but I can replace it now and then.
I might go with an Infiniti next, to keep myself from going balistic.
Old 02-03-2003, 11:31 AM

maybe I can try that

martinf

maybe I'll try the tape idea. I too have a white car.

I'm just going nuts. I compared cars in the same class as the Maxima from the same model year and the Maxima has almost 3X the number of TSBs as the other vehicles (Passat, Accord, Camry, TL, etc...).

I know it was a new model, but this is ridiculous.

Many of the problems are small and some are cosmetic, but if Nissan wants to put $29,900 on their sticker price (that is what my sticker said) then they should build it better than a $10K car.

The dealer said he would look at it at my convenience, but sooner the better so the damage does not get worse.