5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Does Lower Grill Cause Front End Drifting At High Speeds?

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2003, 04:33 PM

Does Lower Grill Cause Front End Drifting At High Speeds?

I thought I read this in a post not to long ago but I'm not sure where to find it. Is it possible that at high speeds, say on the highway, that a lower valence grill (such as my grille-tech) would inhibit downward air flow to the front end of the car causing it to drift? I really don't feel this is happening to me but I was just curious if anyone else has felt this happening to them.
Old 02-04-2003, 04:44 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

No way possible. There is no way. The holes in that grille tech are large enough to flow enough air at over 300mph. It would be an issue if the grilled was covered in a material like a cloth type.

Dixit
Old 02-04-2003, 04:51 PM
Got Bent?

No
Old 02-04-2003, 08:57 PM

Re: Does Lower Grill Cause Front End Drifting At High Speeds?

Originally posted by pmas76
I thought I read this in a post not to long ago but I'm not sure where to find it. Is it possible that at high speeds, say on the highway, that a lower valence grill (such as my grille-tech) would inhibit downward air flow to the front end of the car causing it to drift? I really don't feel this is happening to me but I was just curious if anyone else has felt this happening to them.

I started that post a while back. Although I figure the hood provides the most downforce on the front end, I did notice some drift in the front end after installing the inserts. I haven't had the chance to remove them yet to see if they actually are the cause. I know that air makes it past the grilles but not as much as if they weren't there at all.

It got me wondering because years ago I remember reading an article in a car magazine about the old style "flip up" headlights affecting handling at higher speeds. I let you guys know if anything changes when I pull out the grilles.
Old 02-04-2003, 08:57 PM

Re: Does Lower Grill Cause Front End Drifting At High Speeds?

Originally posted by pmas76

I started that post a while back. Although I figure the hood provides the most downforce on the front end, I did notice some drift in the front end after installing the inserts. I haven't had the chance to remove them yet to see if they actually are the cause. I know that air makes it past the grilles but not as much as if they weren't there at all.

It got me wondering because years ago I remember reading an article in a car magazine about the old style "flip up" headlights affecting handling at higher speeds. I let you guys know if anything changes when I pull out the grilles.