5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Need advice on nail in a tire

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2003, 06:18 PM

Need advice on nail in a tire

Greeting,
I found a large nail in my rear/right tire. The tire looses air very slowly. I stopped by a repair store. They said that since the nail is too close to the edge it is not repairable. I've heard before that a tire with a side damage can not be fixed. Well, that nail sits at the end of the pattern.

Let us assume that they are right and I need to change it.

I have stock Impotenza with 11k miles. As everybody knows stock tires are OK on dry and below average on snow. On Christmas I hydroplaned on snow, lost control for a couple of seconds, but avoided accident. However, before this nail I planned to put 10-15k on stock tires and then replace them with AS Sport for $850-900.

What to do now? I would prefer not to spend $900 on Michelin right now. Is there a trade in for tires? Can I buy one with 10-15k on it? I am in DC-metro. If I waste $180 on the new Impotenza would it be wise to spend another $900 later? I drive rather "energetically", so I expect remaining 3 tires to lose 30-40% resource by now. Am I going to have the problem with car control if I will change only one tire? If I will find a place to fix the tire can it explode at high speed later?

Thanks in advance for your responces.
Old 02-09-2003, 06:42 PM
Clay Aiken has fancy genitals

I would not waste money on Potenzas. I'd look at that nail as a blessing in disguise.....an excuse to get some real rubber. If you hydroplane again, it cost you more than $900.....plus it's really unsafe, life threatening, blah, blah, blah.
Old 02-09-2003, 06:59 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Definately spring for some new rubber now. You can't put a price on safety.
Old 02-09-2003, 07:41 PM

I had the same thing happen. Screw was just at the end of the tread, almost the sidewall. Stopped by a local tire shop and they fixed it without blinking. I thought they might come back and say the same thing yours did...

THere might be a warranty with Nissan as well, stock tires are warrantied somehow...check those manuals, I can't right now.

Oh, and sure, go buy some new tires if you have $900 laying around. I will be driving the craptenzas until they bleed.

ARFF
Old 02-09-2003, 07:46 PM

I thought an indisde plug would work on that. That's where they take the tire off and stick a rubber mushroom plug in the hole.
Old 02-10-2003, 06:57 AM

Originally posted by itdood
I thought an indisde plug would work on that. That's where they take the tire off and stick a rubber mushroom plug in the hole.
Even that depends on just where the nail is. If it's sufficiently within the tread belt repair is reasonable. If it's outside (i.e., in the sidewall), A MOST EMPHATIC NO. If it's in either of the outer tread ribs, it ends up being a judgement call (the width of the outer rib, where in the rib it is, and probably a few other factors). If it's out into the shoulder region where the curvature of the tread area transitions into the sidewall is noticeable I would not consider a repair of any sort.

Norm
Old 02-10-2003, 07:34 AM
Banned

Re: Need advice on nail in a tire

Originally posted by MaxSand02
Greeting,
I found a large nail in my rear/right tire. The tire looses air very slowly. I stopped by a repair store. They said that since the nail is too close to the edge it is not repairable. I've heard before that a tire with a side damage can not be fixed. Well, that nail sits at the end of the pattern.

Let us assume that they are right and I need to change it.

I have stock Impotenza with 11k miles. As everybody knows stock tires are OK on dry and below average on snow. On Christmas I hydroplaned on snow, lost control for a couple of seconds, but avoided accident. However, before this nail I planned to put 10-15k on stock tires and then replace them with AS Sport for $850-900.

What to do now? I would prefer not to spend $900 on Michelin right now. Is there a trade in for tires? Can I buy one with 10-15k on it? I am in DC-metro. If I waste $180 on the new Impotenza would it be wise to spend another $900 later? I drive rather "energetically", so I expect remaining 3 tires to lose 30-40% resource by now. Am I going to have the problem with car control if I will change only one tire? If I will find a place to fix the tire can it explode at high speed later?

Thanks in advance for your responces.
When I've gotten rips in tires before, I heard the same thing--can't fix if it's on the sidewall, or very close to it.

As far as getting new rubber, I would take a look into Sumitomo HTRs. According to tirerack, they have very similar reviews as the Pilot Sports, but cost around $100 a pop. The only "problem" with them is that they don't come in exactly the same size as the stock rims, but there's one size there (can't remember which off the top of my head) which can be fitted with no problems.
Old 02-10-2003, 07:45 AM

I would say that if two tire places say that it can't be fixed, give in and buy four new tires.

I think that the 215/50/17 Sumitomo HRT+ is what some people are running. It's right below the Pilot A/S in ratings on tirerack.

The Sumitomos are $125 at NTB; the Pilot A/S are $224 at Merchant's (aaack! Someone else HAS to have them besides Merchant's)
Old 02-10-2003, 07:49 AM
Member who somehow became The President of The SE-L Club

Fix it yourself. Go to K-Mart, Wallmart, Any Automotive chain, even ShopRite and Pathmark food stores have tire repair kits in their automotive section.

It's easy to do, kit only costs a few bucks. It will give you a bit of time before you need to buy new tires.

I keep a kit and a can of compressed air on my motorcycle at all times. It's come in very helpful 3 times already!
Old 02-10-2003, 07:57 AM
jjs

Originally posted by njmaxseltd
Fix it yourself. Go to K-Mart, Wallmart, Any Automotive chain, even ShopRite and Pathmark food stores have tire repair kits in their automotive section.

It's easy to do, kit only costs a few bucks. It will give you a bit of time before you need to buy new tires.

I keep a kit and a can of compressed air on my motorcycle at all times. It's come in very helpful 3 times already!
Not the safest plan.

Since it is near the sidewall, the most vulnerable part of the tire, that is like riding on a time bomb. I am all for saving a few $$$ where I can, but you just don't mess with the 4 things that are the only things keeping your butt on the road.
Old 02-10-2003, 08:26 AM
OT n00bs FTMFCSL

You've got to get new tires anyway Might as well eat it now, rather than risk your life at some point down the road. Damn Potenza POS's...
Old 02-10-2003, 08:49 AM

Originally posted by njmaxseltd
Truth be told, I have done the majority of my own flat fixes over the years, all have held up just fine. So, yes, it can be done this way.

BUT, and this is a very big point, this is not something that should be attempted by anybody who does not understand what's involved and the possible failure mechanisms of a poorly executed repair.

Given the proximity of the nail to the sidewall, I can't recommend this method here. I'll word it a bit more strongly, as in "don't even think about repairing this one yourself".

Norm