5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Traded Max for a Murano

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2003, 04:44 PM

Traded Max for a Murano

Hi everyone,

I recently traded my 2000 max in for a Murano. Thanks for all of the help, advise, stories, and laughs over the last 4 years.

Basically I couldn't resist the Murano. I got a loaded SL AWD in sunlit copper with matching interior.

The CVT (I hope this holds up) is great so far. The Mo is always in the 'right' gear and I'm getting decent gas mileage (I think its rated 20 city, 24 highway).

The Mo, however, is no max...but its darned close. I compromised a little performance for utility and road presence, but the Mo is not shabby (low to mid 7's 0-60, 0.81 skidpad, etc). I'm just praying that it serves me as well as the maxima has.

I'll peek in on you guys from time to time...

Take care!
Old 02-11-2003, 04:47 PM

Re: Traded Max for a Murano

Originally posted by 92drexel
Hi everyone,

I recently traded my 2000 max in for a Murano. Thanks for all of the help, advise, stories, and laughs over the last 4 years.

Basically I couldn't resist the Murano. I got a loaded SL AWD in sunlit copper with matching interior.

The CVT (I hope this holds up) is great so far. The Mo is always in the 'right' gear and I'm getting decent gas mileage (I think its rated 20 city, 24 highway).

The Mo, however, is no max...but its darned close. I compromised a little performance for utility and road presence, but the Mo is not shabby (low to mid 7's 0-60, 0.81 skidpad, etc). I'm just praying that it serves me as well as the maxima has.

Take care!
Congrats, Yes its close to the 95-01 autos but no where near the 02-03's! I drove one and it didnt feel anywere near as quick as my 03 Max. Enjoy!
Old 02-11-2003, 05:05 PM

Congrats on a nice lookin ride!! Can't go wrong...it has the VQ
Old 02-11-2003, 05:11 PM

Can I ask how much? I'm looking at trading the wife's 2001 pathfinder in on one.
Old 02-11-2003, 05:31 PM

Originally posted by 2kSeattleMax
Can I ask how much? I'm looking at trading the wife's 2001 pathfinder in on one.
Sure, I bought an SL AWD with everything except VSD and navi and bought it for around 33k and received around 14.8k for my max. I could have done better, but they were reasonable with my trade. It seems that $500 to $1,000 over invoice for the Murano is the norm nowadays. If you can wait a little longer (maybe a month or two) then you could probably could scope one up for <500 over invoice.

But I love mine, its one great machine. The power is good (probably better than the pathfinder even though the pathy has more torque - I think). The bi-level xenons are great. The 18" wheels provide a surprisingly smooth ride. The BOSE is unbelievable as the subwoofer is located under the rear floor deck and inside the center of the spare tire so there are no rattles.

I'm getting a little tired of complete strangers wanting to get a peak inside (well maybe not TOO tired). One lady actually wanted to know "...what took me so long" inside the store I was visiting because she '...wanted a peak inside'.

Anyway, goodluck.
Old 02-11-2003, 05:47 PM
OT n00bs FTMFCSL

Good buy brother! I like the new Muranos. I think you'll be very happy with your purchase. I'd like to hear some feedback from you on how the CVT performs, especially under more "agressive" driving conditions. If I need a new SUV, I'm either going with the Murano or the Infiniti FX series. They look pretty sharp too!
Old 02-11-2003, 07:05 PM

It's kinda weird

but the Murano looks like a 04 Max. Good luck with the truck, I am sure it will not be to long before you mod it.
Old 02-11-2003, 11:24 PM

murano is a very nice vehicle.......only flaw is the grille, but all nissan cars share that problem =]
Old 02-12-2003, 12:04 AM

congrats on the new purchase.
Old 02-12-2003, 12:29 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Congrats on the murano. I've test driven it twice and it's an awesome vehicle.

Here's a site you may want to check out:
http://www.nissanmurano.org/index.php
Old 02-12-2003, 03:36 AM
L33t BMW Drivah

The only car my Max would be traded in for would be a G35 Coupe, 6 speed, or a Bentley Arnage with 21 " Davins...
Old 02-12-2003, 05:10 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

I test drove one of those Muranos last weekend. They really are
some nice cars. I liked the fact that it displays when the next oil
chance and tire rotation is due on the display screen above the radio.

Hi everyone,

Take care!
Old 02-12-2003, 05:51 AM

Nice! I test drove one and loved it. The automatic transmission with variable gears is awesome...no shifting can be felt.

One thing I didn't like was the bumper/exhaust. With that setup, there is no way to attach a receiver hitch...the exhaust is in the way. I also suspect that the automatic would not be able to handle any kind of load other than what is in the vehicle. I was really gung ho about them until I saw that. I suspect, if the need arises, they will relocate the exhaust and add a hidden receiver in a few years.
Old 02-12-2003, 06:06 AM
Dyno plot says I have the most area under the Administrator curve

Congrats on the new car

I saw one just like that the other day (SL AWD, Copper) and it looked pretty sweet. Gotta love the performance of it too. It probably has the same 260-265TQ that the Pathfinder does since it's the same basic engine, and it's also a TON lighter than the Pathy and has a CVT - so it should really smoke a Pathfinder.

If I was buying a mid-sized SUV today I'd definitely get the Murano. Supposedly Nissan has had years of experience with CVT tranny's, but just never marketed them in the US. You can read a little more about it HERE. I'm still always nervous about newer technologies, though. Wouldn't stop me from buying one, but I'd probably go for an extended warranty to settle any concerns.

Have fun!
Old 02-12-2003, 06:34 AM
vqman

in the magazines, and at the dealer, they don't look that good..

but when you see one on the street...they look BAD A$$.

magazines don't do them justice, and the dealer has 30 of them lined up beside each other, so they fail to stand out....

but on the road, they are a work of art compared to anything else...

nice S2-UV choice...

if SUV's are what you like....

-vq

Old 02-12-2003, 07:54 AM

Great choice, congrats.
Old 02-12-2003, 07:56 AM

MODS??????

What going to be your first mod on the Murano?

SuperCharge IT!!!!
Old 02-12-2003, 08:11 AM
Very sound, Mike

But I love mine, its one great machine. The power is good (probably better than the pathfinder even though the pathy has more torque - I think). The bi-level xenons are great.
IIRC, you can also manually adjust the angle of the Xenon's. Similar to the Q.
Old 02-12-2003, 08:41 AM

Thanks!

Thanks for the Murano link (unrealii). Thanks for everyone's feedback! I dunno what the first mod will be (other than a good wash and zaino)...maybe some 20 or 22" wheels/tires.

I'm kind of leary right now about making a performance mod since the CVT might not be able to handle the extra torque. We'll see.

I think the torque rating is 246 (same as the Altima and max I think). The CVT is amazing though. I needed to get past a truck and ran it 80 mph (briefly) and the engine was only turning 2000 rpm.

The real aluminum on the dash and console is a nice touch. Also the trip computer does track distance to next oil change and tire rotation and distance to empty, tire pressure, etc.

My gf loves the dual zone climate control and the soft leather seats. There are a lot of well thought out interior details...for example, the storage pocket on the doors have hinges on the Murano and 'pop' out if you need to get at something in the bottom of the pocket (that kind of stuff).

Anyway, I'm loving it...though the max served me well (this Murano is my 1st non-max in 11 years).

Thanks again for the comments!
Old 02-12-2003, 02:48 PM

Congrats on the Murano purchase, it is an awesome vehicle and it looks cool as hell, I test drove one and I loved the way the CVT quietly shifts and the interior is tight.

Plus there's no big @$$ hump in the back seat area where the transmission housing sits in the average vehicles. I was thinking about trading my 2k as well for one but the one I want stickered at 38k fully loaded.

Best of luck with the car, you're gonna love more as time goes on.
Old 02-15-2003, 11:47 AM

Thanks

I'll definately keep y'all posted!
Old 02-15-2003, 10:06 PM

Originally posted by kloogy
The only car my Max would be traded in for would be a G35 Coupe, 6 speed, or a Bentley Arnage with 21 " Davins...
Bling , bling on the G Coupe. My Max will be gone by no later than year end. Replaced by a black or silver 6MT Premium Package Coupe. You have to go with the black leather, the grey stains too quickly.
Old 02-16-2003, 02:19 AM

I looked at the Murano. Nice, but it is not a truck or
an SUV. I's a crossover vehicle. So no towing is not on
the list of things it is capable of. think of it as an
altima with more cargo room. something like the lexus
is300 cross over. not quite a wagon, but definetly not
a truck.
Old 02-16-2003, 07:20 AM

I really like the Murano. As impressive as the drivetrain is I was more impressed by the attention to detail inside the cabin in terms of fit and finish, textures, and features.

The Murano can tow up to 3500 lbs. There is a tow package which includes a Class II reciever, ball mount, and hitch cap for $350. Hitch ***** and harness are available separately, although it makes no sense not to have the harness included in the tow package. Hidden hitch already offers a reciever for it. 3,500 lbs should cover the majority of the population who have jet skis, motorcycles, snowmobiles, and runs to the home depot or furniture store. It's listed in the accessory section for the Murano.
Old 02-16-2003, 01:01 PM

great choice. my friend just got one, and the ride is great. the only thing i don't like is how it sometimes feels like there is a clutch slipping
Old 02-16-2003, 05:54 PM
Custom User Title

The Murano is friggin awesome.. nice choice!
hmm whats that smell...
i smell 20 inch rims
Old 02-16-2003, 08:24 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Congrats

Nice choice
Old 02-16-2003, 10:31 PM

To the person who just bought the Murano..

I have a question about the CVT ..

when you FLOOR IT .. does the tach just hover around 4000rpms.. or whatever the torque peak is at on that engine??? I was always curious about that .. and once you let off the gas and start cruising (after having floored it,.. does it drop back to 2000 rpms??)

Thanks
Old 02-17-2003, 08:39 AM
Maxima Pilot

Peter...I hope u get an answer on this one

because it will be an interesting addition to the oft-discussed subject of shift points...
Old 03-16-2003, 12:17 AM

Originally posted by PeterUbers
To the person who just bought the Murano..

I have a question about the CVT ..

when you FLOOR IT .. does the tach just hover around 4000rpms.. or whatever the torque peak is at on that engine??? I was always curious about that .. and once you let off the gas and start cruising (after having floored it,.. does it drop back to 2000 rpms??)

Thanks
That's a good question (sorry it took so long to get back to you). I think I'm able to get the rpms near the redline when I floor it. I don't floor it too often, however I'll experiment under varying circumstances (i.e. floor it from a dead stop versus from cruising speed) and post the info.

One thing though...I was driving down a steep hill and the CVT choose a lower ratio (the rpms jumped up to utilize engine braking). It kind of took me by surprise since I normally have to ride my brakes down that hill, but I was impressed.

Overall, I'm use to the CVT now and I love the Murano! The weirdest thing (to me) about the CVT is not being able to feel any 'shock' or decreased rmps when putting it into gear. Plus, I've been getting around 22 mpg for the past month (a friend of mine has a Pathfinder and gets 15 mpg).

All in all, I'm still enjoying it and I'm looking forward to that 1st coat of Zaino
Old 03-16-2003, 09:27 AM

Murano's are SWEET

Nice choice.
Old 03-16-2003, 09:46 AM

Re: It's kinda weird

what type of mods can u do to a truck? and even a new one like the Murano? besides getting wheels larger than the 18 inch ones they have

Originally posted by Blackgums100
but the Murano looks like a 04 Max. Good luck with the truck, I am sure it will not be to long before you mod it.
Old 03-16-2003, 10:53 AM
Jer

Take it out to the track for some E/T's

Hi everyone,

Take care!
Old 03-16-2003, 02:49 PM

MODS and CVT

Someone in the Murano thread at www.freshalloy.com put some sweet 20's in theirs (I'm trying not to look too hard b/c I need to spend some money on the house)....

http://forums.freshalloy.com/ubbthre...b=5&o=&fpart=1

But, I'll keep these 20's in the back of my mind!