5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

The worst published review of 5th-6th Maxima

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2003, 09:09 PM

The worst published review of 5th-6th Maxima

I found, what appears to me, the worst published review of Maxima in a car magazine. What is wrong with them?
http://www.automobilemag.com/reviews/0303_nissanmaxima/
Just a quote: "...this sixth-generation ... has replaced the bar of soap that had been rubbed on to little good effect since 1995."
Old 02-16-2003, 09:38 PM
The silent but deadly Moderator

err, they should stick to driving and stay off the word processor. It reads like it was written out of boredom or they were just writing some filler.
Old 02-17-2003, 02:07 AM
It's chrome alright...

appears to have been written by a 12 year old... it's actually positive, but you have to dig to find it
Old 02-17-2003, 03:35 AM

His last comment on the Mazda 6 got me.....He no doubt...ever spent time in a Mazda 6....it is about the size of a Civic inside..

Giving that as an alternative to the Six is like saying....The Z is nice...but a Miata is the ticket if you are looking for a 2 seat sports car
Old 02-17-2003, 04:29 AM

Originally posted by wild *****
His last comment on the Mazda 6 got me.....He no doubt...ever spent time in a Mazda 6....it is about the size of a Civic inside..

Giving that as an alternative to the Six is like saying....The Z is nice...but a Miata is the ticket if you are looking for a 2 seat sports car
All he says is the Mazda 6 is a cheaper alternative...

The review was mostly positive...whats the problem?

the 4th and 5th gen Maximas aren't ugly, but theres nothing special about the designs at all (except for the 5th gen a**)
Old 02-17-2003, 09:31 AM
Newbie - Just Registered

Originally posted by wild *****

OK, Time to speak up here... I am a diehead Miataphile, have a 93 LE black with red leather, SCed miata. And I love it!

Having said that, I went looking last month to buy my OTM (other than Miata), or MSV (Miata Support Vehicle). MY 91 Camry with 191K was getting tired and I was bored silly wth it.

My first stop, Mazda. To look at the new Mazda6. I had been anxiously awaiting it's arrival for several months. It drove and handled well, but interior was claustraphobic (sp?) and looked cheap. Car was only $22K (top of the line model) but I wanted something a little more refined for long distance travel.

From there I went and tested the Accords and Camrys (yawn), Looked at infinity, loved em, but too much $$ for me.

Stopped by Nissan and hated the look of the new Altima (can you say FatA$$), and interior looked cheap, looked at the Maxima, called over the wife and said they look "gawd awlful ugly". But being the pragmatist that I am, I took it for a spin... the road I chose is one of my favs for my miata, twisty and full of diminishing radius turns with a few nice fast straight aways. I fell in love with the car after the test drive, handled well, felt strong, pulled thru the curves confidently and was quiet. I did notice a little FWD bias (torque steer) when I throttled it hard from near or dead stop positions, but for the $$, it was the best car I have driven durng my search.

I haggled the dealer down to a great price (about $500 below invoice - late evening Super Bowl Sunday and end of month in January, no one there!) and still got 2K for my very tired 91 Camry.

While not nearly as fast as my heavily modded Miata, it holds it's own, and though it wasn't love at first sight, the looks and styling of the car have grown on me. It's been just about a month now and I'm not suffering from buyers remorse at all. In fact I appreciate the design and styling more and more. And I absolutely love the V6 engine. Wife loves it even more.

BTW, Tech details are:
2003 Maxima SE, Sterling Mist, Moon Roof, Titanium package, extra set of trunk and floor mats (thrown in with the deal)

Miata Site is here:
12 PSI / 5.4 0-60... and simply a blast to drive

93 LE Web Page: http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Speedway/8517/
My 93 LE Web Page: http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/S...8517/tony.html
Old 02-17-2003, 10:01 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by TonyCooper

While not nearly as fast as my heavily modded Miata, it holds it's own, and though it wasn't love at first sight, the looks and styling of the car have grown on me.

BTW, Tech details are:
2003 Maxima SE, Sterling Mist, Moon Roof, Titanium package, extra set of trunk and floor mats (thrown in with the deal)

[/url]
Did you get the six speed, or the Auto? The six speed, (for the most part) is a great deal peppier than the Auto
Old 02-17-2003, 10:19 AM

When did Michael Jordan start writing car reviews?! He needs to stick to basketball, we all saw what happened when he tried baseball!

On a serious note, I never have or never will take anything a so-called "car reviewer" has to say until I drive the vehicle myself. What's that old saying..."One man's trash is another man's treasure"
Old 02-17-2003, 10:48 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by TonyCooper
[B]
Car was only $22K (top of the line model) but I wanted something a little more refined for long distance travel.

I drove a fully loaded one and it topped out at over 26K..you did not see a fully loaded one....And yes they are very small inside...and yes cheap....but still a step above the Altima in the plastic department
Old 02-17-2003, 10:57 AM

the 4th and 5th gen Maximas aren't ugly
umm yeah, sure
Old 02-17-2003, 11:07 AM

Originally posted by Linh
umm yeah, sure

Got anything constructive or intelligent to say? Hasn't anybody else notice that this guy or girl needs to find a different forum.
Old 02-17-2003, 11:48 AM
vqman

Originally posted by Ludacris

All he says is the Mazda 6 is a cheaper alternative...

The review was mostly positive...whats the problem?

the 4th and 5th gen Maximas aren't ugly, but theres nothing special about the designs at all (except for the 5th gen a**)
sure he says the Mazda 6 is a cheaper alternative...but we know the REAL cheaper alternative is the Altima...same engine, same chasis...but it's cheaper... what gives automobile mag?

-vq

Old 02-17-2003, 12:12 PM
vqman

after reading it, that wasn't really that bad of a review...i've seen worse, when they knocked the plastics and what not...

-vq

Old 02-17-2003, 12:26 PM
jjs

Originally posted by VQMAN
after reading it, that wasn't really that bad of a review...i've seen worse, when they knocked the plastics and what not...

-vq

Just because the 'press' isn't drooling over a Max, a whole bunch of people instantly feel 'dissed'.
Old 02-17-2003, 12:39 PM
Clay Aiken has fancy genitals

umm yeah, sure
Old 02-17-2003, 01:41 PM
Banned

Originally posted by MaximaDisciple

Got anything constructive or intelligent to say? Hasn't anybody else notice that this guy or girl needs to find a different forum.
I noticed the same thing a while ago. All this dude has to say is stupid, wiseass one-liners in response to most people's threads.

Linh - either start posting useful remarks, or just leave the board. People are starting to get tired of your ****!
Old 02-17-2003, 01:44 PM

Originally posted by vito1281

I noticed the same thing a while ago. All this dude has to say is stupid, wiseass one-liners in response to most people's threads.

Linh - either start posting useful remarks, or just leave the board. People are starting to get tired of your ****!
Old 02-17-2003, 01:44 PM

why don't i just post things like "Raced a HumVEE today and WON!!... It costs 3 times as much as my car so give me props!! Never mind that it weighs about 10 tons more and was never designed to drag..." would that make you feel better? what kind of cheese would you like with your whine?
Old 02-17-2003, 01:46 PM

why don't i just post things like "Raced a HumVEE today and WON!!... It costs 3 times as much as my car so give me props!! Never mind that it weighs about 10 tons more and was never designed to drag..." would that make you feel better? what kind of cheese would you like with your whine?
ummm yeah, sure
Old 02-17-2003, 01:53 PM
Banned

Ummm, how about you just don't post????

Seriously, as you can see, it's not just me that has noticed a PATTERN of your half-assed remarks. It's not like you do this once in a while, but your posts have caught my attention a while ago, but I didn't care to respond because I thought maybe it was just me. But as you can see, others are noticing it as well.

Personally, if there's a post that I think is "retarded", then I just skip it. There's no clause in the .org's user rights that says you MUST respond to every thread that you find dumb.
Old 02-17-2003, 01:55 PM
vqman

ummm yeah, sure
he's trying to dog me...I beat an S500, thought I did good because it cost 3 times as much as my car...and he compares it to beating a HumVee...

a humvee wouldn't try to race me on the road...the S500 did...

The S500 had a head start, and I gained on it, from one car length behind him, I got up to where my front wheels were even with his rear wheels....we tunred it off at 80mph...I call that a win

a 5.0 V8...I thought it would do better than that...it does weigh a half ton more than my Maxima...so there is an advantage for me there...

-vq

Old 02-17-2003, 02:09 PM

he's trying to dog me...I beat an S500, thought I did good because it cost 3 times as much as my car...and he compares it to beating a HumVee...

a humvee wouldn't try to race me on the road...the S500 did...

The S500 had a head start, and I gained on it, from one car length behind him, I got up to where my front wheels were even with his rear wheels....we tunred it off at 80mph...I call that a win

a 5.0 V8...I thought it would do better than that...it does weigh a half ton more than my Maxima...so there is an advantage for me there...

-vq
Actually, opposed to some others comments, I enjoyed the post. Its always good to hear someone putting those snobby "I drive a Benz" people in their place. Most of the time the people driving those things have no clue what their car can really do. They just drive them for their status.
Old 02-17-2003, 02:15 PM
jjs

They just drive them for their status.
Uh, that IS the whole point of driving one. DUH!!!!

If they didn't care about status but wanted performance there are much cheaper alternatives out there.
Old 02-17-2003, 02:18 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by vito1281

I'm pretty sure Linh is an Altima owner. Great car but I think Linh in particular has "Maxima" envy.
Old 02-17-2003, 02:42 PM

Originally posted by jjs

Uh, that IS the whole point of driving one. DUH!!!!

If they didn't care about status but wanted performance there are much cheaper alternatives out there.
Is that the WHOLE point of driving one? Not because its magnificently engineered, or that its built for high speed, or that its built with safety in mind. DUH! I must be and idiot!
Old 02-17-2003, 04:40 PM
vqman

Is that the WHOLE point of driving one? Not because its magnificently engineered, or that its built for high speed, or that its built with safety in mind. DUH! I must be and idiot!
yeah, they are safer, beefier, more stable at 100+, and give you a much better image...I would say that the main reason is image though. If he wanted to spend $80,000 and buy performance he could have got an e55 AMG, or an Acura NSX..most people see an "S-class" and associate it with power/money...people see AMG...and they don't have a clue what that is...but they know what an NSX is....but it's much more rich-ricer-boy than classy...S-Class is a bad ****...period.

I doubt the guy that was driving it knew as much as I later found out about it after smoking it...0-60 times, 1320 times...etc..weight, horsepower...engine displacement, cam arrangement, spark plugs. an AMG buyer knows this stuff...

Being magnificently engineered, and built for high speed, with safety in mind, that's what gives it it's "status" so jjs was more or less right on the money. and so where you...

-vq

Old 02-17-2003, 04:46 PM
vqman

OK, Time to speak up here... I am a diehead Miataphile, have a 93 LE black with red leather, SCed miata. And I love it!

Having said that, I went looking last month to buy my OTM (other than Miata), or MSV (Miata Support Vehicle). MY 91 Camry with 191K was getting tired and I was bored silly wth it.

My first stop, Mazda. To look at the new Mazda6. I had been anxiously awaiting it's arrival for several months. It drove and handled well, but interior was claustraphobic (sp?) and looked cheap. Car was only $22K (top of the line model) but I wanted something a little more refined for long distance travel.

From there I went and tested the Accords and Camrys (yawn), Looked at infinity, loved em, but too much $$ for me.

Stopped by Nissan and hated the look of the new Altima (can you say FatA$$), and interior looked cheap, looked at the Maxima, called over the wife and said they look "gawd awlful ugly". But being the pragmatist that I am, I took it for a spin... the road I chose is one of my favs for my miata, twisty and full of diminishing radius turns with a few nice fast straight aways. I fell in love with the car after the test drive, handled well, felt strong, pulled thru the curves confidently and was quiet. I did notice a little FWD bias (torque steer) when I throttled it hard from near or dead stop positions, but for the $$, it was the best car I have driven durng my search.

I haggled the dealer down to a great price (about $500 below invoice - late evening Super Bowl Sunday and end of month in January, no one there!) and still got 2K for my very tired 91 Camry.

While not nearly as fast as my heavily modded Miata, it holds it's own, and though it wasn't love at first sight, the looks and styling of the car have grown on me. It's been just about a month now and I'm not suffering from buyers remorse at all. In fact I appreciate the design and styling more and more. And I absolutely love the V6 engine. Wife loves it even more.

BTW, Tech details are:

welcome to the org...is that a 6 speed?

I want an extra trunk mat!

I bought a pair of "winter" rubber mats for my Maxima...but it hasn't snowed much here, so haven't gotten to take advantage...

welcome..

-vq

Old 02-18-2003, 06:19 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

welcome to the org...is that a 6 speed?

I want an extra trunk mat!

I bought a pair of "winter" rubber mats for my Maxima...but it hasn't snowed much here, so haven't gotten to take advantage...

welcome..

-vq
Nope, we wanted an automatic. But we are very pleased with it. Shifts crisply and is well suited to the V6 engine. We really have grown to love the car.
Old 02-18-2003, 11:48 PM

Nope, we wanted an automatic. But we are very pleased with it. Shifts crisply and is well suited to the V6 engine. We really have grown to love the car.
congrats on the car and good luck with it