5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

ever hear of elevation?

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2003, 11:14 AM
vqman

Young04 + VQMAN Forever! ...xanax RULES

young04....my 1/4 mile was only a 14.99 for three reasons...

1)Elevation. I was at 1000ft. sealevel would cut that down considerably..half a second or so.

2)Traction on my 60' it was my first time at the track, and I had a 2.5 second 60'....i'm supposed to be getting 2.2 seconds in the first 60 ft. that's 0.3 seconds right there...

3)Temperature--it was like 70 degrees Farhenhiet

4)Barometric pressure--- it was low 29.XX

The race were I took on the S500 started at around 25mph. so there isn't any low speed traction issues for me to worry about...

we all know the S500 and 3.5L 6speed Maxima are equally matched in the acceleration department.

sorry emax95, I had to get in another word on this....I was just talking about beating a car, and he starts bashing my grammar...

I'm not putting up with this garbage.

-vq

Old 02-17-2003, 11:17 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

IBTL
Old 02-17-2003, 11:19 AM
vqman

Originally posted by BigDogJonx
IBTL
what does that stand for?

I didn't go to Harvard and take Acronyms 101, so I don't have a clue...

-vq

Old 02-17-2003, 11:36 AM

Originally posted by VQMAN

what does that stand for?

I didn't go to Harvard and take Acronyms 101, so I don't have a clue...

-vq
BTW, Im a University of MD dropout. Hahaha

In Before Thread Lock

Dixit
Old 02-17-2003, 11:38 AM

VQ, Your right. I run mid 13s in my Z28 because we are at 2100 ft elevation. I should be low 13s 13.1 13.2ish.
Old 02-17-2003, 11:44 AM
vqman

Originally posted by BigDogJonx

BTW, Im a University of MD dropout. Hahaha

In Before Thread Lock

Dixit
oh...

IBTL...ha...that's funny...how long before emax locks up my second thread today?

any bets anyone?

-vq

Old 02-17-2003, 12:46 PM
The silent but deadly Moderator

http://www.mattelgames.com/magic8/flash_index.asp
Old 02-17-2003, 01:23 PM
vqman

I got a "most likely"

-vq

Old 02-17-2003, 01:42 PM
jjs

Re: ever hear of elevation?

young04....my 1/4 mile was only a 14.99 for three reasons...

1)Elevation. I was at 1000ft. sealevel would cut that down considerably..half a second or so.

2)Traction on my 60' it was my first time at the track, and I had a 2.5 second 60'....i'm supposed to be getting 2.2 seconds in the first 60 ft. that's 0.3 seconds right there...

3)Temperature--it was like 70 degrees Farhenhiet

4)Barometric pressure--- it was low 29.XX

The race were I took on the S500 started at around 25mph. so there isn't any low speed traction issues for me to worry about...

we all know the S500 and 3.5L 6speed Maxima are equally matched in the acceleration department.

sorry emax95, I had to get in another word on this....I was just talking about beating a car, and he starts bashing my grammar...

-vq
Not to be difficult, but I don't agree with your statement #1. The lower the elevation the greater the air pressure/density. All other things held constant (temp, humidity, etc.), normally aspirated engines work BEST at lower elevations. That is why as you go to places like Denver, etc. on up, the relative thinness of the air has a detrimental effect on n/a cars (turbos and SC's do better). It is also one of the contributing factors in speed record runs being made at sea level, if not lower, such as salt flats. I realize they are also great wide open places, but elevation has alot to do with running there.

Granted there may be a miniscule effect of drag being lessend at higher altitudes, but I would be surprised it would be on par with engine performance loss.
Old 02-17-2003, 02:04 PM
vqman

Re: Re: ever hear of elevation?

Originally posted by jjs

Not to be difficult, but I don't agree with your statement #1. The lower the elevation the greater the air pressure/density. All other things held constant (temp, humidity, etc.), normally aspirated engines work BEST at lower elevations. That is why as you go to places like Denver, etc. on up, the relative thinness of the air has a detrimental effect on n/a cars (turbos and SC's do better). It is also one of the contributing factors in speed record runs being made at sea level, if not lower, such as salt flats. I realize they are also great wide open places, but elevation has alot to do with running there.

Granted there may be a miniscule effect of drag being lessend at higher altitudes, but I would be surprised it would be on par with engine performance loss.
I think we agree here...I was saying that I was 1000 ft above sea level, which contributed to my poor times...young04 was bragging that he had better times than me, but he is at sea level...Boston.

1000ft is pretty high, not high like denver, but pretty high...

the 29.xx density was pretty low for the area, and factor in that it was 70F, i could have ran a 14.5 that day if I were at sea-level, and it was a bit cooler out...even with the same barometric pressure...

barometric pressure might be typically lower at sea-level (i'm not sure about that) but it varies all the time in the midwest, and it was pretty low that day.

I think we see eye to eye, but with my 1st Grade writing skills, you misunderstood what I was saying...

-vq

Old 02-17-2003, 02:08 PM

Yes sometimes I wonder how high you are...

J/K
Old 02-17-2003, 02:09 PM
jjs

Re: Re: Re: ever hear of elevation?

I think we agree here...I was saying that I was 1000 ft above sea level, which contributed to my poor times...young04 was bragging that he had better times than me, but he is at sea level...Boston.

1000ft is pretty high, not high like denver, but pretty high...

the 29.xx density was pretty low for the area, and factor in that it was 70F, i could have ran a 14.5 that day if I were at sea-level, and it was a bit cooler out...even with the same barometric pressure...

barometric pressure might be typically lower at sea-level (i'm not sure about that) but it varies all the time in the midwest, and it was pretty low that day.

I think we see eye to eye, but with my 1st Grade writing skills, you misunderstood what I was saying...

-vq
Ah...gotcha....threads today have pretty much ambled around so trying to make a coherent point in the midst of this AND have recipients in the proper frame of mind to read them can get a bit tricky on occassion.

Old 02-17-2003, 02:59 PM
rilla dope

I wonder what I'd run at Ft. Huachuca AZ, 5400ft, probably about a 21.22, which would be about a sec slower than my estimated sea level time
Old 02-17-2003, 03:08 PM
vqman

Re: Re: ever hear of elevation?

Originally posted by maximaman777
Yes sometimes I wonder how high you are...

J/K
not high enough...need more xanax...

-vq

Old 02-17-2003, 03:35 PM

I didn't go to Harvard .

-vq
got outdone in the other?

and the winner is...VQMAN! master of fending off mouthy lawyer wannabe's
(the latter is your post in the racing threads that got moved)

that's enough dude. it's funny that you're a grown man with a military background, but you gossip and talk trash about other people better than a little schoolgirl. i dropped this whole thing awhile ago. i've been ignoring your underhanded insults this whole time, but now that's close to ten unprovoked remarks on your part. you even started a new thread after your original got locked. come on man, that's pathetic. stop being such a whiny little girl and let it go, you little attention ****.

p.s. you really are delusional...like 2k2wannabe said, you got SCHOOLED up and down in that little war of words. must be the same delusional outlook that made you think you deserved props for winning a race with a 4500lb benz that was NOT meant for racing.
Old 02-17-2003, 03:46 PM

Re: Re: Re: ever hear of elevation?

no high enough...need more xanax...

-vq
zanax. but hey, it was spelling this time.
Old 02-17-2003, 04:03 PM
vqman

:peace:

Originally posted by Young04
you little attention ****.
so i'm the middle child my kind are drama queens...always seeking attention...it's just in my nature...and i'm not much older than you...only 27...and I've ALWAYS acted MUCH younger than my age...So we're on the same maturity level...if you say you're 22..

you figured me out...really. I won't contest being an attention ****.

props for winning a race with a 4500lb benz that was NOT meant for racing.
hey, everything is good in our personal beef with each other,(at least on my end) so here is my take on the car thing.

The maxima wasn't meant for racing either. it's a front wheel drive car, with a mini-van rear beam suspension...neither was built to "race" but we both did...and I won. He had a head start, and from 25-80 (maybe it was 15-90..i'm not sure...) but I started out a half car length behind him, and ended up with my front tires even with his rear tires when he finally let off the gas/braked...if we would have started right next to each other I would have had him....and had it been a race to 125, i think i would have continued to pull on him with my better gearing...and would have passed him after that, because his car is governed to 120 something.

you got SCHOOLED up and down in that little war of words.
but you know if I could keep a guy of such (come on now, i can admit it) such higher intellegence on edge for so long...saying you were "just having fun" but now calling me (rightly so) an attention ****...I can admit I was ****ed, but you know you were too

We all know that I was the underdog, and if I didn't win, I had a pretty damn good showing for an uneducated peasant like myself...

It's like I am a Maxima, and you are an S500...it was pretty even...but in the end we all know who has the better life. Ivy Leaguer of course...(stereotype)

..most would have expected you to outright destroy me...(like I thought the S500 would do to me) but you didn't...or I don't feel I was destroyed like the p!$$ed off guy in the S500 did yesterday.

I know I have some "on the defense" mental issues...so does my psyciatrist(sp?)

I don't let people say things about me without standing up for myself. (see my profile) Good trait, if you ask me...unless I think they are just trying to pull my chain and get me hot...but I don't think that's where you were coming from. I think you really thought I couldn't read worth a ****.

sorry for calling you an a$$hole....and continuing to "drive in " my points when you weren't responding...

peace

-vq

Old 02-17-2003, 04:07 PM
Got Bent?

and IBTL
Old 02-17-2003, 04:09 PM
vqman

Re: Re: Re: Re: ever hear of elevation?

Originally posted by slickrick

no really, I have a prescription...it's xanax, but pronounced Zanex...

I really do have mental issues...just ask Young04...

I think you are thinking of Zantac...for heartburn...

-vq

Old 02-17-2003, 04:14 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: ever hear of elevation?

no really, I have a prescription...it's xanax, but pronounced Zanex...

I really do have mental issues...just ask Young04...

I think you are thinking of Zantac...for heartburn...

-vq
i checked it online also, but hey if your reading the bottle then its all good.
Old 02-17-2003, 04:14 PM

Peace has been made!
moderator: PLEASE LOCK THIS THREAD!
Old 02-17-2003, 04:16 PM
vqman

Originally posted by VMaximus02
Peace has been made!
moderator: PLEASE LOCK THIS THREAD!

that calder guy cracks me up...

-vq

Old 02-17-2003, 04:36 PM

Re: :peace:

so i'm the middle child my kind are drama queens...always seeking attention...it's just in my nature...and i'm not much older than you...only 27...and I've ALWAYS acted MUCH younger than my age...So we're on the same maturity level...if you say you're 22..

you figured me out...really. I won't contest being an attention ****.

hey, everything is good in our personal beef with each other,(at least on my end) so here is my take on the car thing.

The maxima wasn't meant for racing either. it's a front wheel drive car, with a mini-van rear beam suspension...neither was built to "race" but we both did...and I won. He had a head start, and from 25-80 (maybe it was 15-90..i'm not sure...) but I started out a half car length behind him, and ended up with my front tires even with his rear tires when he finally let off the gas/braked...if we would have started right next to each other I would have had him....and had it been a race to 125, i think i would have continued to pull on him with my better gearing...and would have passed him after that, because his car is governed to 120 something.

but you know if I could keep a guy of such (come on now, i can admit it) such higher intellegence on edge for so long...saying you were "just having fun" but now calling me (rightly so) an attention ****...I can admit I was ****ed, but you know you were too

We all know that I was the underdog, and if I didn't win, I had a pretty damn good showing for an uneducated peasant like myself...

It's like I am a Maxima, and you are an S500...it was pretty even...but in the end we all know who has the better life. Ivy Leaguer of course...(stereotype)

..most would have expected you to outright destroy me...(like I thought the S500 would do to me) but you didn't...or I don't feel I was destroyed like the p!$$ed off guy in the S500 did yesterday.

I know I have some "on the defense" mental issues...so does my psyciatrist(sp?)

I don't let people say things about me without standing up for myself. (see my profile) Good trait, if you ask me...unless I think they are just trying to pull my chain and get me hot...but I don't think that's where you were coming from. I think you really thought I couldn't read worth a ****.

sorry for calling you an a$$hole....and continuing to "drive in " my points when you weren't responding...

peace

-vq
fair enough. likewise, i apologize for taking this too far. let's try not to create another storm when we come across each other in another thread. take care man.
Old 02-17-2003, 04:56 PM
vqman

Re: Re: :peace:

fair enough. likewise, i apologize for taking this too far. let's try not to create another storm when we come across each other in another thread. take care man.
I think all Peace Posts should have the ;calder; dude jumping around...

dude is cool...

-vq

Old 02-17-2003, 06:13 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: ever hear of elevation?

Originally posted by slickrick

FYI its Xanax, I have it too... good stuff

- M