5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Pi$$ed off a Z06 Vette yesterday...

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2003, 10:37 AM

Pi$$ed off a Z06 Vette yesterday...

Well, I was going home from work and (for those familiar w/ the Houston area) I was turning (from one of the two lanes under the over-pass) on to the feeder of 610 from Richmond. You have to be careful here because everyone always jockey's for the lead position around the turn to be the first to get on to the freeway, which is a very short distance.

A beautiful blue Z06 is next to me on the outside lane at the light to turn on to the feeder. My natural reaction is to hit it and so does he. I didn't punch it until I was straight and barely spun the tires. He, on the other hand, roasted the tires around the turn. I immediately jumped him by at least a couple of lengths and then (obviously we he hooked) he was INSTANTLY next to me and actually let off and I went by. SO THE MAX ENTERED THE FREEWAY FIRST.

Those cars are absolutely sick fast! He reeled me in and and was actually ahead of me using only second gear! (I think)

Disclaimer:
I'm in no way saying my car in any way can compare to a Vette, especially a Z06. That car would tear me a new one, ten times over! The only reason I got him was because there wasn't enough distance for him to catch up after he roasted the tires. And even then, he didn't want to chance it.

I can name 405 reasons why no 'rematch' is desired.
Old 02-19-2003, 10:43 AM

Re: Pi$$ed off a Z06 Vette yesterday...

Originally posted by CHAZMAX
Well, I was going home from work and (for those familiar w/ the Houston area) I was turning (from one of the two lanes under the over-pass) on to the feeder of Hwy 290 from Richmond. You have to be careful here because everyone always jockey's for the lead position around the turn to be the first to get on to the freeway, which is a very short distance.

A beautiful blue Z06 is next to me on the outside lane at the light to turn on to the feeder. My natural reaction is to hit it and so does he. I didn't punch it until I was straight and barely spun the tires. He, on the other hand, roasted the tires around the turn. I immediately jumped him by at least a couple of lengths and then (obviously we he hooked) he was INSTANTLY next to me and actually let off and I went by. SO THE MAX ENTERED THE FREEWAY FIRST.

Those cars are absolutely sick fast! He reeled me in and and was actually ahead of me using only second gear! (I think)

Disclaimer:
I'm in no way saying my car in any way can compare to a Vette, especially a Z06. That car would tear me a new one, ten times over! The only reason I got him was because there wasn't enough distance for him to catch up after he roasted the tires. And even then, he didn't want to chance it.

dont be so quick to claim inferiority.

supposedly aall state trooper vehicles are equipped with corvette engines and i absolutely smoked one coming off the GWB onto interstate 95(NY-NJ)

of course u can't beat the radio so as soon as he lost sight of me i got off the highway.
Old 02-19-2003, 10:47 AM
jjs

Re: Re: Pi$$ed off a Z06 Vette yesterday...

Originally posted by Allan 2000

supposedly aall state trooper vehicles are equipped with corvette engines and i absolutely smoked one coming off the GWB onto interstate 95(NY-NJ)

of course u can't beat the radio so as soon as he lost sight of me i got off the highway.

Uh, where on earth did you hear this??? Unless it is an Impala SS or something like that it either will not fit or not be a Chevy product to start with.

Also, really bright running from a trooper.

Old 02-19-2003, 10:47 AM
It's chrome alright...

supposedly aall state trooper vehicles are equipped with corvette engines
where did you get this? My friend is a Ford mechanic and (of course) my first question was about "cop car engines." He said all the cop cars in our area (northern mass, southern NH) including state trooper cars are nearly stock in the engine. The "cop package" adds some heavy duty stuff for suspension, oil cooler, tranny cooler, etc. but the engine itself is the same as the one you can buy off a Ford lot.

btw, chaz... good jockying! I hate it when people try to pass me like that!
Old 02-19-2003, 11:09 AM
Da Roller Coaster!

I can tell you this much...my dad has an LT1 (the luxury edition of a Vette) and hitting 100 a little over an eigth of a mile tells you it will absolutely smoke a Max!

And there is no way state trooper cars are equipped with that enginer. Do you realize the amount of cost per car to do that?

Old 02-19-2003, 11:11 AM
BigCat44

Chevy is different

Actually parts of So. NH use the new Chevy Luminas and since the creation of the Chevy Caprices they have used (Cops)305 modified engines in normal chevy cars. Take a look at a Malibu classic which uses the same engine. I have also heard of the new Camaro cop cars using the Corvette engine and some Camaro owners also doing this conversion, my proof comes from a guy that works for me that owns a Camaro with the Z06 engine, and yes they will smoke you with the Corvette engine. As for running from the cops? yikes..

Old 02-19-2003, 11:16 AM
It's chrome alright...

Re: Chevy is different

Originally posted by BigCat44
Actually parts of So. NH use the new Chevy Luminas and since the creation of the Chevy Caprices they have used (Cops)305 modified engines in normal chevy cars. Take a look at a Malibu classic which uses the same engine. I have also heard of the new Camaro cop cars using the Corvette engine and some Camaro owners also doing this conversion, my proof comes from a guy that works for me that owns a Camaro with the Z06 engine, and yes they will smoke you with the Corvette engine. As for running from the cops? yikes..
your friend has done a conversion, but have the cops? I'd be very surprised if their budget allows converting a caprice to a vette engine. I'm not saying they're not, I'm just saying I'd be surprised.

your proofs is backwards, by the way. Because your friend did it doesn't mean cops have done it.
Old 02-19-2003, 11:23 AM
jjs

Re: Chevy is different

Couple of things...

1. we were rebutting the 'all state trooper' assumtion
2. where do you still see a Malibu Classic?? The current Malibu's have been 6 cyliders AND FWD to boot for years now.
3. there is a difference between the stock 'Vette engine and a Z-06 powerplant. For years the Camaro and Firebird have used essentially a 'Vette engine as their high end powerplant anyway, regardless of transplanting. Z-06 engines are a whole different thing.
Old 02-19-2003, 11:23 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

IBTL
Old 02-19-2003, 11:28 AM

[i]
Disclaimer:

I can name 405 reasons why no 'rematch' is desired. [/B]
goes to show you, if have good "freeway presence" (kinda like court presence in basketball), you can mess with higher hp cars and still look good
yes, higher hp cars will run away from you on open roads, but that's not the point here.......
Old 02-19-2003, 11:36 AM

Originally posted by CHAZMAX
Well, I was going home from work and (for those familiar w/ the Houston area) I was turning (from one of the two lanes under the over-pass) on to the feeder of Hwy 290 from Richmond. You have to be careful here because everyone always jockey's for the lead position around the turn to be the first to get on to the freeway, which is a very short distance.

Disclaimer:

u know the 3.0 5thgens have the potential to take thos things.
the guy i buy parts from had a z06 buy a car in his s/c AE max
Old 02-19-2003, 12:04 PM
Da Roller Coaster!

Originally posted by amaxeatinvtecs

u know the 3.0 5thgens have the potential to take thos things.
the guy i buy parts from had a z06 buy a car in his s/c AE max
The vette driver must have been terrible! You are talking 450 HP in the vette!
Old 02-19-2003, 12:17 PM

With a car like a fast max, you can really surprise people who aren't expecting you.

I held third once a little longer than normal and shot right around a Camaro SS who just was in too high a gear to do anything about it. By the time he downshifted I was a couple cars ahead.

You no doubt pi$$ed off the unsuspecting Z06.
Old 02-19-2003, 01:10 PM

Re: Re: Re: Pi$$ed off a Z06 Vette yesterday...

Originally posted by foodmanry

The vette driver must have been terrible! You are talking 450 HP in the vette!

yea but were talking supercharger, and good shot of nitrous with all bolt ons, this is his ride way long ago,////450 hp? i thought the zo6 was 405
http://maxima.cardomain.com/id/jhans114
Old 02-19-2003, 01:25 PM
BigCat44

Re: Re: Chevy is different

Originally posted by jjs

Couple of things...

1. we were rebutting the 'all state trooper' assumtion
2. where do you still see a Malibu Classic?? The current Malibu's have been 6 cyliders AND FWD to boot for years now.
3. there is a difference between the stock 'Vette engine and a Z-06 powerplant. For years the Camaro and Firebird have used essentially a 'Vette engine as their high end powerplant anyway, regardless of transplanting. Z-06 engines are a whole different thing.
Ok the malibu classic was a throw in from my first car a 78 that had the "cop"engine V-8 305 and RWD in it. As for the state trooper deal, My proof comes from a few Albuquerque Police vehicles used on the highways surrounding the city and also to police certain main streets in Albq where known motorcycle and "ricer" clubs frequent. And the engine is the high end Z06 not a stock camaro engine as they did a show for the kids during the summer and they had one on display. Pretty fast cars though I would never own one..something about mullets just doesn't appeal to me, or my job..j/k

Old 02-19-2003, 01:29 PM
jjs

Re: Re: Re: Chevy is different

Ok the malibu classic was a throw in from my first car a 78 that had the "cop"engine V-8 305 and RWD in it. As for the state trooper deal, My proof comes from a few Albuquerque Police vehicles used on the highways surrounding the city and also to police certain main streets in Albq where known motorcycle and "ricer" clubs frequent. And the engine is the high end Z06 not a stock camaro engine as they did a show for the kids during the summer and they had one on display. Pretty fast cars though I would never own one..something about mullets just doesn't appeal to me, or my job..j/k
One car on display is hardly the whole fleet, even if it was a Z-06 engine.

Tell me why/how a city like that can/would afford to equip cars like that.
Old 02-19-2003, 01:41 PM
BigCat44

Re: Re: Re: Re: Chevy is different

Originally posted by jjs

One car on display is hardly the whole fleet, even if it was a Z-06 engine.

Tell me why/how a city like that can/would afford to equip cars like that.
No,
I didn't say they had a fleet of them, I don't work for them so I would be guessing when I say they have maybe 4 tops. They typically use the Caprice and now they are starting to get the Luminas. I also explained why "a city like that" was using those vehicles. The motorcycle cops use the new BMWs so go figure..I am not a resident there so i don't pay for their stuff!! Well enough arging about what thel cops drive and what they don't, they are faster because they have Motorola so unless you drive a civic and have "Fast and the Furious" playing on repeat in your DVD player then int's not worth testing them..

Old 02-19-2003, 02:02 PM
It's chrome alright...

sorry, I missed that part... (post deleted, do what you will with your reply)

Originally posted by VQMAN

really, I patched things up with young04....

I can laugh about it now...

if you can't, i'm sorry...

I find it humorous....

-vq
Old 02-19-2003, 02:09 PM

the other thing u forget to factor in (i hate that xpression....lol)

is that depending on wut state ur in law enforcement budgets can vary greatly.

secondly Im sure manufacturers such as Chevy love the notoriety they get from such xposure.

thirdly one of ma friends pulled off the same feat in a J30.
Old 02-19-2003, 03:09 PM

Originally posted by 2002Maxxxima
With a car like a fast max, you can really surprise people who aren't expecting you.

I held third once a little longer than normal and shot right around a Camaro SS who just was in too high a gear to do anything about it. By the time he downshifted I was a couple cars ahead.

You no doubt pi$$ed off the unsuspecting Z06.
Yeh, I think you're right...

He was already merging over into my lane as if HE KNEW he was gonna get ahead of me, but he was denied!
Old 02-19-2003, 04:11 PM

cop cars do not have corvette engines in them. they may have derivatives of them obviously with alot less hp, but thats it. dont forget all the equipment those cars have which weigh them down.
Old 02-19-2003, 06:10 PM
vqman

Originally posted by 2k2wannabe
sorry, I missed that part... (post deleted, do what you will with your reply)

mine are now deleted...sorry for the miscommunication...

peace, finally, completely... restored.

-vq

Old 02-19-2003, 08:11 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

Congrats on keeping the Z06 from cutting you off and kudos for admitting that he was in the process of passing you like you were standing still. It's really hard to catch someone in a short distance when they get a jump and you spin, this is proof of that.

All I'm going to say about State Trooper cars is that contrary to urban legend, the motors are stone stock in the interests of long-term reliability. Suspensions, cooling systems, brakes and other high-wear parts are often "extreme duty" units for the same reasons. I'm sure there are some modded ones out there, just the exception not the rule.

Also, I've noticed lately that a large portion of Altima 3.5 and Maxima 3.5 drivers are willing to race anything, no matter how awful the results may be for them. I've had 4 or 5 "races" if you could call them that in the last 3 months or so alone. Is all of the magazine hype about 5.9 sec 0-60 times and 14.5@98mph 1/4 miles gone to people's heads or what? I guess it's all in fun and I sure don't mind showing them reality. Happy hunting.

Brian

2002 NBM Formula A4 3.23
free mods, exhaust cutout, Spintech muffler, HPP3, 17" ZR-1 wheels w/Nitto DRs out back
60ft - 1.93
1/8th - 8.22@87.1mph
1/4 - 12.70@110mph
Dyno #'s from Colvin Automotive 12/14/02 - 328rwhp@5500rpm 343rwtq@4500rpm

2000 Sunlit Sand Maxima GXE autocraptrik
Kumho ecsta 712s, Nissan fogs

Cattman y-pipe and cold air coming soon
Old 02-19-2003, 08:13 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Chevy is different

No,
I didn't say they had a fleet of them, I don't work for them so I would be guessing when I say they have maybe 4 tops. They typically use the Caprice and now they are starting to get the Luminas. I also explained why "a city like that" was using those vehicles. The motorcycle cops use the new BMWs so go figure..I am not a resident there so i don't pay for their stuff!! Well enough arging about what thel cops drive and what they don't, they are faster because they have Motorola so unless you drive a civic and have "Fast and the Furious" playing on repeat in your DVD player then int's not worth testing them..
The reason they use BMW's now, is because Kawasaki doesn't make the "police special 1100" anymore. BMW and Harley are the only ones left in the police bike market, and no cop wants to ride a Harley all day, if it will even stay running all day
Old 02-19-2003, 08:47 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by foodmanry
I can tell you this much...my dad has an LT1 (the luxury edition of a Vette) and hitting 100 a little over an eigth of a mile tells you it will absolutely smoke a Max!

And there is no way state trooper cars are equipped with that enginer. Do you realize the amount of cost per car to do that?

Small correction, the LT1 is just the engine code, not a luxury edition. I'm surprised no one called you on that one, these guys can be sharks.
Old 02-19-2003, 09:21 PM

Some interesting links on this:

Most NY State Troopers use the Crown Vic...
http://www.crownvic.net/news/lomag.shtml

http://www.troopers.state.ny.us

And if I am not mistaken, there was an LT1 option on some 94-96 Caprices.

B
Old 02-19-2003, 09:31 PM

Just my crap .02 cents on this subject...

There are very few Maximas on this board that would outrun ANY of the V8 police cruisers, Ford or Chevy... especially at highway speeds. Contrary to what many people are saying in this thread, both Ford, and Chevy (when they were making the full-size Caprice) make (or made, in the Caprice's case) special runs of vehicles especially for police use. The Caprices did have an LT1 "vette motor" in them, and there are plenty of them still in circulation. Let me tell you, from first-hand experience, those Caprices are FAST!!! Even figuring a total vehicle/ equipment weight of 4500 or so lbs, a 300+hp V8 will make your head spin. Believe me... many a car has tried to run, and very few have made up much ground. Only "true" sports cars, or heavily modded vehicles have much chance of outrunning the cruisers. And then, like the original poster said... "you can't outrun Motorola".

Likewise, Ford did, and still does make a Crown Victoria "police interceptor" model, which is designated by a trunk-lid emblem, that used to be powered by, at one time, a 351 V8, then I believe some had a version of the 5.0 engine, and if I'm not mistaken, the newer ones are powered by a version of the 4.6 V8. While the Ford cruisers have NEVER been in the same class, speedwise, as the Chevys, they can hold their own against MOST vehicles on the road today.

With the demise of the Caprice, Chevy has tried to market the new Impalas as a new version of the standard police cruiser. The ones our Department bought to test out had a hopped-up 270hp version of the same V6 that comes standard in the Impala. They are smaller, slower, and front wheel drive, which basically makes them sh!tty pursuit vehicles. They are quicker than the basic Impalas, but they are nowhere near the car that the Caprices or the Crown Vics are.

The V8 cruisers are mass marketed specifically to police departments around the nation. While I'm sure that there are some departments that don't use them, I'm just as sure that many, if not most departments, do use them. They are out there, and they are FAST. If you try to outrun one in a stock Maxima, you're going to be awfully disappointed with the results.

Stepping down from my soapbox now!
Old 02-19-2003, 09:45 PM

Originally posted by BJGemini
Some interesting links on this:

Most NY State Troopers use the Crown Vic...
http://www.crownvic.net/news/lomag.shtml

http://www.troopers.state.ny.us

And if I am not mistaken, there was an LT1 option on some 94-96 Caprices.

B
I finished typing my post, and then saw yours. It pretty much says the same thing I was trying to say, but the only point of contention I have is with their estimates of the speeds in the LT1 Chevy's. I have been in one travelling WELL in excess of 140 mph! I can also... ahem... confirm, that it will outaccelerate my 2001 Maxima. Not by much. In fact, I would call it a driver's race up until around 75 or so mph. After that, it's all in the displacement. My Max couldn't run from the Caprice if it's life depended on it!
Old 02-19-2003, 10:15 PM

A little late but
Old 02-20-2003, 05:01 AM

this thread is spewing with so much mis-information i dont know where to start.

maybe with the ford...since i am a ford tech.
police interceptors are just what was posted on page 1....upgraded suspension, cooling, charging system on a crown vic. only "performance" enhancing mods are dual exhaust and 3.23:1 trac lok rearend.

now for the caprice in 94-96...yes the police models used an LT1 and the LT1 was an option for civilians (base engine was a 4.3L V8) BUT this LT1 was no vette engine. it had iron heads and more restrictive manifolds. that was the only 2nd generation LT1 to come from chevy with iron heads. vette and f-bodys used aluminum heads.
Old 02-20-2003, 07:56 AM

Hey, also, the kia sedons also have a special Corvette engine available... Most people dont know about it but its and option... you can also get it with tam-ait which adds about 35 HP and 30 torque. The only problem with this is Motor Trend says it can make your insurance higher.. But Motor Trend also got a 0-60 time of 4.5 secs from an Kia Sedona..
Old 02-20-2003, 08:01 AM

Originally posted by SG01MaxSE
Just my crap .02 cents on this subject...

There are very few Maximas on this board that would outrun ANY of the V8 police cruisers, Ford or Chevy... especially at highway speeds. Contrary to what many people are saying in this thread, both Ford, and Chevy (when they were making the full-size Caprice) make (or made, in the Caprice's case) special runs of vehicles especially for police use. The Caprices did have an LT1 "vette motor" in them, and there are plenty of them still in circulation. Let me tell you, from first-hand experience, those Caprices are FAST!!! Even figuring a total vehicle/ equipment weight of 4500 or so lbs, a 300+hp V8 will make your head spin. Believe me... many a car has tried to run, and very few have made up much ground. Only "true" sports cars, or heavily modded vehicles have much chance of outrunning the cruisers. And then, like the original poster said... "you can't outrun Motorola".

Likewise, Ford did, and still does make a Crown Victoria "police interceptor" model, which is designated by a trunk-lid emblem, that used to be powered by, at one time, a 351 V8, then I believe some had a version of the 5.0 engine, and if I'm not mistaken, the newer ones are powered by a version of the 4.6 V8. While the Ford cruisers have NEVER been in the same class, speedwise, as the Chevys, they can hold their own against MOST vehicles on the road today.

With the demise of the Caprice, Chevy has tried to market the new Impalas as a new version of the standard police cruiser. The ones our Department bought to test out had a hopped-up 270hp version of the same V6 that comes standard in the Impala. They are smaller, slower, and front wheel drive, which basically makes them sh!tty pursuit vehicles. They are quicker than the basic Impalas, but they are nowhere near the car that the Caprices or the Crown Vics are.

The V8 cruisers are mass marketed specifically to police departments around the nation. While I'm sure that there are some departments that don't use them, I'm just as sure that many, if not most departments, do use them. They are out there, and they are FAST. If you try to outrun one in a stock Maxima, you're going to be awfully disappointed with the results.

Stepping down from my soapbox now!
Hmm... I dont know about the ford but I do know for sure that I tore up my friends v8 impala police cruiser... actually, they had took out the lights, but we looked at the engine and it had the bigger displacment on the engine... But those things are not too fast but so dam* torquey that my friend spun his wheels and could not keep up on the highway.
Old 02-20-2003, 08:58 AM
OT n00bs FTMFCSL

Any Ford 4.6L equipped Police Interceptor came from the factory with either a 131 MPH top speed, or if it had a light bar, 128 MPH top speed. A very small % of the Caprices came with a decently tuned/power LT1, but it was only like 285 HP. There have been instances of higher performance ones which local mechanics have "altered", and even some special runs of HO V8's, but they were so expensive that they ended up buying true pursuit vehicles instead of trying to increase the performance of the original cruisers. No one needs super high speed cruisers/pursuit vehicles any more b/c most police departments have helicopters available to them. Traffic conditions dictate top speed of the pursuits more so than vehicles performance, anyway. Sure, the badguy or cop can "burst" speed in places, but overall speed is not usually averaged at even 90 MPH.
Old 02-20-2003, 09:14 AM

Originally posted by Quicksilver
Any Ford 4.6L equipped Police Interceptor came from the factory with either a 131 MPH top speed, or if it had a light bar, 128 MPH top speed. A very small % of the Caprices came with a decently tuned/power LT1, but it was only like 285 HP. There have been instances of higher performance ones which local mechanics have "altered", and even some special runs of HO V8's, but they were so expensive that they ended up buying true pursuit vehicles instead of trying to increase the performance of the original cruisers. No one needs super high speed cruisers/pursuit vehicles any more b/c most police departments have helicopters available to them. Traffic conditions dictate top speed of the pursuits more so than vehicles performance, anyway. Sure, the badguy or cop can "burst" speed in places, but overall speed is not usually averaged at even 90 MPH.

It saddens me to think that this society has been so dummed down that we over simplify everything to make it fit into our notion of right and wrong. "bad guys"....lol

maybe "the evildoers" would be a better term.

Of course all cops always follow the law when it comes to making lawful stops or obeying their lawful jurisdiction or obtain a proper warrant before searching a vehicle.

and Im Bill Gates..................LMAO
Old 02-20-2003, 09:19 AM
OT n00bs FTMFCSL

It saddens me to think that this society has been so dummed down that we over simplify everything to make it fit into our notion of right and wrong. "bad guys"....lol

maybe "the evildoers" would be a better term.

Of course all cops always follow the law when it comes to making lawful stops or obeying their lawful jurisdiction or obtain a proper warrant before searching a vehicle.

and Im Bill Gates..................LMAO
Hey Newb, I just used simple terms. I didn't want to get so in depth that it was no longer useful info to post? Get it?

EDIT- And the legality of the stops and running "badguys" is not at issue here. It's the vehicles themselves we're talking about. re-read the posts before you make your next reply please.
Old 02-20-2003, 09:42 AM

Hey Newb, I just used simple terms. I didn't want to get so in depth that it was no longer useful info to post? Get it?

EDIT- And the legality of the stops and running "badguys" is not at issue here. It's the vehicles themselves we're talking about. re-read the posts before you make your next reply please.

So u always resort to name calling?

NEWB? lol
wutever

I took issue with ur generalization of the situation and if u dont like it so be it.
Old 02-20-2003, 09:45 AM
OT n00bs FTMFCSL

So u always resort to name calling?

NEWB? lol
wutever

I took issue with ur generalization of the situation and if u dont like it so be it.
nope. It's not really name calling. It's in you title under your name. It's just that you jumped into this without reading the whole post, and if you did read the entire post, then you missed the point. I take back the Newb part The rest still stands.
Old 02-20-2003, 10:04 AM

nope. It's not really name calling. It's in you title under your name. It's just that you jumped into this without reading the whole post, and if you did read the entire post, then you missed the point. I take back the Newb part The rest still stands.
well considering that im the second post on the thread i dont see ur point.
Old 02-20-2003, 10:30 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Old 02-20-2003, 11:10 AM

P.S.
My topic is not far off from the original.
but if u rather jus talk about edging out vette's knock urself out.

I took off on a tangent.

Actually no i jus used the cop thing as an illustration.

everyone else turned it into the new topic of conversation.

and i did say supposedly right?

you have heard of tangents?

Quick Reply: Pi$$ed off a Z06 Vette yesterday...