5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

STILLEN vs. CATTMAN y-pipes & intakes???

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2001, 08:45 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Sup Guys........

I've had my 2k1 Maxima 5speed for about 3 and a half months now and I finally feel like I'm ready to do a couple of hop-ups...I'm tired of the "stock" feel now.
A friend of mine recommended that I go with CATTMAN for the cool-air intake and the y-pipe....but from what I can tell from you all in this forum, most of you guys are talkin about STILLEN intakes and y-pipes?
Is there a big difference between the 2? By a show of hands....who prefers STILLEN and who prefers CATTMAN? I'm ready to buy so I need to get some opinions. Thanx.

2k1 SE Gray Lustre, 5spd, Carbon Fiber Dash & Shift ****, Frost Interior, Pioneer 6cd chngr, 2 12'pioneer woofers, clear rear markers.........to be continued!!!!
Old 01-09-2001, 08:59 PM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Hello Deac, copy and paste your mods into your sig (check your profile) so you don't have to retype it every time you post.

Stillen and Cattman sells a cone intake which basically work the same. It depends on how much you're willing to pay. Stillen uses a K&N filter while the JWT Popcharger uses something else.

Cattman sells a cold air intake (The Place Racing CAI) which takes in air through your fender (needs cutting).

Stillen and Cattman both sell y pipes. Stillen now makes ceramic coated pipes for rust protection. Cattman makes stainless steel (which makes it cost more).

I bought the PR CAI and Stillen y pipe (old one without the coating). I chose the Stillen Y because California weather is not harsh and the Y won't rust too fast. I chose the PR CAI because it draws in colder air.

Use the search to find more info on these mods.
Old 01-10-2001, 06:12 AM

cattman vs stillen

Thanx for the info....

I noticed you said you have the front clear markers? Where did you get those from? I'm intereted. I did'nt even know those were out yet!
As for the cold air intakes and the CAI's....I guess I should go with Stillen....I was under the impression that CATTMAN was the only one that made those parts for the 5th gens. Also, I'm kinda sceptical about cutting anything around my fender!
W/the y-pipe, is the ceramic one by stillen better than the stainless one by cattman? What do you think? Let me know.
Old 01-10-2001, 07:15 AM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

I have the rear clear markers... still waiting on the fronts.

If you don't have to worry about rust caused by harsh weather, then the Stillen Y would do. Ask irvine78 about the Stillen pipe.
Old 01-11-2001, 06:43 AM

After some research...

After much research on some old posts on this site....I've larned that the Place Racing CAI, while just a bit louder than the Stillen CAI, is the more popular choice because it draws in colder air....I also learned that its HELL to install and about $40 more than the Stillen one....I'n gonna go with the Placeracing CAI!!! =)
The Y-Pipe however was another story....I researched that on here too and no one talks about which one is better in terms of performance...all the old posts basically say that the Stillen y-pipe while cheaper is made of a ceramic type substance that is a bit more subject to rust after a while...Me living in NY....I need a wheather proof y-pipe so I may go with Cattman there also! But who knows which one performs better? The Cattman or the Stillen Y-Pipe? Let a brotha know!!!! Thanx...

Deac
Old 01-11-2001, 07:07 AM

Stillen and Cattman, about the same, but I don't know of

anyone off hand that has made actual dyno comparisons, with them, but I would figure they would dyno about the same.
Old 01-11-2001, 07:36 AM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

I would also imagine the two would give out the same dyno numbers, but no one has confirmed that yet (I think).
Old 01-11-2001, 09:40 AM

No "Bees in a Can" sound w/ the Cattman ..

y-pipe plus it is made much better (stainless steel). As far as performance goes I would suspect the Stillen and the Cattman pipes to perform equally well. I went with the Cattman pipe because of the stainless steel construction and the "quiet flex" joint in the pipe, which eliminates that "Bees in a can" sound that you hear a lot of the guys complain about in the Stillen version. Just my .02.