5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Altima S vs Accord 2k3 vs Maxima 2k3

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2003, 05:16 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Altima S vs Accord 2k3 vs Maxima 2k3

Just thought i might share this with you guys, i little review of three cars i have been driving for the past three days:

2003 Nissan Altima S
--------------------
Overall impression, interior is very very ugly, but you really get used to it. Interior feels much larger than the maxima and has a more spacious airy feel. I had the 2.5L motor, and let me tell you that motor is great.. However i noticed the fuel economy was not has good as my 2k2 maxima. But the motor had MUCH more pep and torque around town. Handling is simply amazing. Although the car feels larger, it is just as nimble on stock suspension as a honda civic. The altima still exhibits major wheel hop (it was an automatic too)..

I think Nissan really did a good job packaging the car and giving it a very good price. I never thought a 4 banger had so much appeal but i can see why. The main reason again that i did not buy an altima is because the interior really turned me off, and the fit and finish around the dash board and door panels were totally off. But hey people that don't nitpick like i do will definetly enjoy this car. One thing to note, the altima has a really really nice growl to it when drivin hard, almost like it had an intake or somethign.. KUDOS

2003 Honda Accord 4 cyl
-----------------------
Ironically, as a total honda disliker that i am, some how i got this car as a rental. The toronto maxima guys were making fun of me because it was really weird seeing me in a honda. But htis was my opportunity to see what this new 2003 accord was like. First off, the gauges are amazing. I love the brightness and clairty of these gauges. However, before i was driving this car, i used to think the itnerior was really nice compared to our maximas. I was so wrong, I had difficult with the controls, i don't like the positioning of anything, and i find that it was just plain weird.. Something aobut the car really errkked me. Interior room is smaller than the altima. And the exterior styling cues on this 4 door is freakin ugly. The front end looks like a cross of a civic and an s2000, some like it, but i expected more. However the altima's front end isn't as appealing either. i will say the front end of the 2k2/2k3 is far more aggressive and appealing over both these cars. Engine/transmission. Hmmm.. the engine is once again a marvel in honda technology. TOTALLY TORQUELESS. The altima's 4 cyl is by far 300% better,wiht more torque and better pull. The accord is a total JOKE. The tranny likes to hunt becuase of this torqueless wonder. Where i was impressed with the altima, the accord was like driving a civic... I returned it almost within 2 days and got the altima. Buyers of this car must really like honda's name because for the money,m the altima is by far a better value.

2003 Nissan Maxima SE 6speed
----------------------------
Well I got my car the past few days, and boy i missed it alot. Out of the three cars, the maxima feels much more expensive (i know it has a v6 and leather, but aside from that), just by the way all the controls are placed, and the way everything fit together. Althogh the rear end of the 5th gen still doesn't look very good to me, i love the front end especialy with the HID's. Overall, because of the major discounting of maxima's the maxima is still the BEST BANG FOR THE BUCK. However the same quirks that were existent in my 2k2 are here to stay in 2k3. Flash to pass still blinks the HIDS. Tranny even when new still has a bit of notchy and grinding behaviour like my 6speed in my 2k2. ANd the suspension, well lets not even get into that because it is about 400% worse than the altima or accord. But still, i bought the maxima again, and it still brings a smile to my face.

ED
Old 02-20-2003, 05:36 AM

are you saying the 2.5 nissan engine has more torque and power than the 3.5 VQ?? Surely i missed understood your thread.
Old 02-20-2003, 06:16 AM
OT n00bs FTMFCSL

Originally posted by JAKE02
are you saying the 2.5 nissan engine has more torque and power than the 3.5 VQ?? Surely i missed understood your thread.
He's comparing the 2.5L Nissan to the Honda 2.4L (at least I think he is). I agree that the Nissan 2.5L I4 is a great engine in it's own right, and is far better than the Honda 2.4L (although the Honda gets better MPG). I also agree with the way the Nissan 2.5L sounds. When it hits 3000-3500+ RPM, the thing sounds AWESOME! That's one of the reasons why I like the SPEC V so much. Some of the best torque in it's class (and close on HP), but it doesn't have to use premium fuel. IMHO, Nissan has a winner with both the 2002+ 2.5L I4 and 3.5L V6.
Old 02-20-2003, 07:51 AM

Originally posted by Quicksilver

He's comparing the 2.5L Nissan to the Honda 2.4L (at least I think he is). I agree that the Nissan 2.5L I4 is a great engine in it's own right, and is far better than the Honda 2.4L (although the Honda gets better MPG). I also agree with the way the Nissan 2.5L sounds. When it hits 3000-3500+ RPM, the thing sounds AWESOME! That's one of the reasons why I like the SPEC V so much. Some of the best torque in it's class (and close on HP), but it doesn't have to use premium fuel. IMHO, Nissan has a winner with both the 2002+ 2.5L I4 and 3.5L V6.
I have a 2k3 Max, but honestly I think honda has way better engineering.. even though they dont have a torquee car, their cars are better built. I think you should have compared three v6s instead of 2 4cyl and one 6 cyl to get the full affect of all the cars.
Old 02-20-2003, 06:33 PM
VQ Wizard

Wow man that was a well thought out and intelligent write up. I have never seen you write so many positive things at once about a Nissan.

Im sure the 2.5 Altima has tons more torque than the Accord just as you said but more than the 3.5? Are you positive that isn't just a gear related mirage? I drove a SE-R Spec V a few months ago and was very dissapointed in the feel of the QR25. It certainly doesn't have my seal of approval. If it were upto me the SR20DE would still be alive today in this country instead of the QR25DE. There is a world of difference in smoothness and power delivery.

just my .02
Old 02-20-2003, 06:42 PM
OT n00bs FTMFCSL

Originally posted by SR20DEN
Wow man that was a well thought out and intelligent write up. I have never seen you write so many positive things at once about a Nissan.

Im sure the 2.5 Altima has tons more torque than the Accord just as you said but more than the 3.5? Are you positive that isn't just a gear related mirage? I drove a SE-R Spec V a few months ago and was very dissapointed in the feel of the QR25. It certainly doesn't have my seal of approval. If it were upto me the SR20DE would still be alive today in this country instead of the QR25DE. There is a world of difference in smoothness and power delivery.

just my .02
Man, tough crowd I agree with the SR20DE comment, but the fact remains that this guy was talking about the cars listed above, along with the engines therein. I don't really think he meant to compare the 3.5 and the 2.5. I think he meant to compare the Honda 2.4L and the Nissan 2.5L. if I'm wrong, he'll say something (so say something, will ya!).
Old 02-20-2003, 06:50 PM
VQ Wizard

Originally posted by Quicksilver

Man, tough crowd I agree with the SR20DE comment, but the fact remains that this guy was talking about the cars listed above, along with the engines therein. I don't really think he meant to compare the 3.5 and the 2.5. I think he meant to compare the Honda 2.4L and the Nissan 2.5L. if I'm wrong, he'll say something (so say something, will ya!).
[QUOTE]
However i noticed the fuel economy was not has good as my 2k2 maxima. But the motor had MUCH more pep and torque around town.

[B]

Are you saying I took this to far out of context? I did mention he did a good writeup. Not a tough crowd at all.
Old 02-20-2003, 07:01 PM
OT n00bs FTMFCSL

[QUOTE]Originally posted by SR20DEN
[B]

However i noticed the fuel economy was not has good as my 2k2 maxima. But the motor had MUCH more pep and torque around town.

Are you saying I took this to far out of context? I did mention he did a good writeup. Not a tough crowd at all.
OK, I just must have totally missed that line. I could have sworn he was talking about a Honda, not the Max. I must learn to proof read better...
Old 02-21-2003, 07:36 AM

Good write up. Does it surprise us that Honda has better display? Hell no. Does it surprise us that the Maxima has bus suspension? No. What surprises me is how much he praised the little 4-banger Altima. I should have considered the 3.5L Altima before running for a '03 Maxima.
Old 02-21-2003, 10:47 AM
VQ Wizard

Originally posted by olincoles
Good write up. Does it surprise us that Honda has better display? Hell no. Does it surprise us that the Maxima has bus suspension? No. What surprises me is how much he praised the little 4-banger Altima. I should have considered the 3.5L Altima before running for a '03 Maxima.
Go sit in an Altima. You'll quickly be happy with what you got.
Old 02-21-2003, 11:18 AM
OT n00bs FTMFCSL

Originally posted by SR20DEN

Go sit in an Altima. You'll quickly be happy with what you got.
Absolutely agree with that! The Altima interior is ****e compared to the Max. What's better is to go sit in the GLX Passat, then the Altima.
Old 02-21-2003, 04:53 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Clarification:

I was really comparing the 2k3 Accord 4cyl vs 2k3 Altima 4cyl, but I myself would never buy a 4cyl.. I want all the options.. Thats why i bought my 2k3 after my ******* accident..

However, i was seriously consideirng the 2k3 Altima V6 SE 5speed, but it was only a few bucks cheaper (like 2000CDN) which is really not worth it.. Hands down considering that the maxima and altima fully loaded are nearly the same price, the MAXIMA wins...

My 2k3 exhibits all the same complaints i had before with my 2k2, but i already started modding it.... within the same day!

Frankencar, thank you for making me enjoy my car, check my sig
ed
Old 02-21-2003, 06:32 PM

I drove a 2003 Accord EX V6 and I liked it. The car felt really solid, the interior was plain but had great fit and finish and the motor was pretty strong (but not near as powerful feeling as the 3.5L in the 2002's that I've driven). I've got too admit though; the sedans are really ugly.

Does anyone know how deep Nissan is discounting 03's ahead of 04 deliveries? I'm thinking about trading up.
Old 02-21-2003, 06:39 PM

I drove a 2003 Accord EX V6 and I liked it. The car felt really solid, the interior was plain but had great fit and finish and the motor was pretty strong (but not near as powerful feeling as the 3.5L in the 2002's that I've driven). I've got too admit though; the sedans are really ugly.

Does anyone know how deep Nissan is discounting 03's ahead of 04 deliveries? I'm thinking about trading up.