4th Generation Maxima (1995-1999) Visit the 4th Generation forum to ask specific questions or find out more about the 4th Generation Maxima.

Will this aftermarket stereo fit in my 1995 Maxima?

Old 08-15-2015, 09:05 AM

So the Bose radio in my maxima is on its last legs, and I have been researching replacement radios. I came across this http://www.crutchfield.com/p_130150M...P.html?tp=5684
and according to the website, it should be able to fit. Does anyone else agree, or is there a better one? Not looking to spend more than $100. Thanks.
Old 08-15-2015, 09:57 AM

Yes it will fit...you'll need a dash kit, a converter to make the factory Bose amps work and antenna adapter...not sure how serious about music u are but that's just a basic entry level CD player you can get at Walmart...I got mine off Craigslist...alpine...much better quality...of course you want to make sure a CD player off Craigslist works before buying....the advisors at crutchfield are awesome and will help with install as well...
Old 08-15-2015, 09:59 AM

Oh...and a wiring harness...to keep from chopping up your factory harnesses
Old 08-15-2015, 05:21 PM

The great thing about Crutchfield is they can and will provide you with everything you need to easily install an aftermarket radio in the Max.

I used them when I replaced my non-BOSE system and they included everything I needed.
Old 08-16-2015, 12:00 AM

Originally Posted by carguy96
So the Bose radio in my maxima is on its last legs, and I have been researching replacement radios. I came across this http://www.crutchfield.com/p_130150M...P.html?tp=5684
and according to the website, it should be able to fit. Does anyone else agree, or is there a better one? Not looking to spend more than $100. Thanks.
For only $30 more, you can get a double-din head unit that will fill the space and look a lot better. These are selling for $99 at Crutchfield:

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_104824U...B.html?tp=5684

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_070DC52...I.html?tp=5684

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_530VCD3...B.html?tp=5684
Old 08-16-2015, 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by Junebug1701
For only $30 more, you can get a double-din head unit that will fill the space and look a lot better. These are selling for $99 at Crutchfield:

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_104824U...B.html?tp=5684

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_070DC52...I.html?tp=5684

http://www.crutchfield.com/p_530VCD3...B.html?tp=5684
junk, junk, and just boring. get on ebay and get a decent h/u like this http://www.ebay.com/itm/PIONEER-AVH-270BT-6-2-TOUCHSCREEN-USB-DVD-CD-CAR-BLUETOOTH-STEREO-W-AUX-IN-/271734153093?hash=item3f449e1f85&vxp=mtr this is the model below mine and it works great/sounds great in the max.
Old 08-16-2015, 03:02 PM

In addition to the radio, you will need a line level adapter such as the PAC ROEM NIS2, $35, an antenna adapter such as the Metra 40-NI10, $6 and a trim adapter such as the Metra 99-7417, $15. And some soldering skills.

Name:  00max%20radio%20removed%202_zpscyrpznbv.jpg
Views: 398
Size:  112.3 KB
Old 08-16-2015, 05:09 PM

Originally Posted by max ride 41
junk, junk, and just boring. get on ebay and get a decent h/u like this Pioneer AVH 270BT 6 2" Touchscreen USB DVD CD Car Bluetooth Stereo w Aux In | eBay this is the model below mine and it works great/sounds great in the max.
Hey, the OP said he wanted to keep it under $100. That Pioneer on Ebay is going for 209 bucks!
Old 08-16-2015, 05:11 PM

Originally Posted by DennisMik
In addition to the radio, you will need a line level adapter such as the PAC ROEM NIS2, $35, an antenna adapter such as the Metra 40-NI10, $6 and a trim adapter such as the Metra 99-7417, $15. And some soldering skills.
If you buy from Crutchfield, they include a custom wiring harness that has the line level adapter built in, IF you have the Bose system. They also include the antenna adapter and trim plate.
Old 08-16-2015, 05:30 PM

Originally Posted by Junebug1701
Hey, the OP said he wanted to keep it under $100. That Pioneer on Ebay is going for 209 bucks!
well worth the money, that watered down radio is gonna sound like crap compared to what the old blose hu sounded like. i spent around 1,300.00 on my setup and did it piece by piece.
Old 08-16-2015, 09:15 PM

For $250 on ebay I got a double din android head unit that can do everything under the sun. I can run torque with my bluetooth OBD adapter.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/7-Double-2Din-Car-DVD-GPS-Pure-Android-4-4-Radio-Stereo-WIFI-3G-Ipod-Camera-/261975369394?hash=item3cfef2e6b2
Just saying.

I also had a single in for a while before I saved up for a double din. I didn't need a dash kit, the screws line right up with the stock holes. They are pretty universal, I had three single din units in and they all bolted right up. Instead of the dash kit, grab a tray from the junkyard and make use of the extra space. Then you will have two trays/drawers to use to put crap in.

Last edited by Finkle; 08-16-2015 at 09:18 PM.
Old 08-17-2015, 03:47 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

You guys are funny.OP wants a simple upgrade and you show him units that can launch the space shuttle
Old 08-17-2015, 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by dwapenyi
You guys are funny.OP wants a simple upgrade and you show him units that can launch the space shuttle
please man, i remember money being tight when i was younger. i just put away a little every week until i had enough. a quality stereo is well worth the wait. those stereo's will be average at best in comparison.
Old 08-17-2015, 01:18 PM

please man, i remember money being tight when i was younger. i just put away a little every week until i had enough. a quality stereo is well worth the wait. those stereo's will be average at best in comparison.
That's a good idea, I have a pretty good Kenwood single din for now until a great CarPlay radio comes out
Old 08-17-2015, 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by Finkle
For $250 on ebay I got a double din android head unit that can do everything under the sun. I can run torque with my bluetooth OBD adapter.

7" Double 2Din Car DVD GPS Pure Android 4 4 Radio Stereo WiFi 3G iPod Camera | eBay

Just saying.

I also had a single in for a while before I saved up for a double din. I didn't need a dash kit, the screws line right up with the stock holes. They are pretty universal, I had three single din units in and they all bolted right up. Instead of the dash kit, grab a tray from the junkyard and make use of the extra space. Then you will have two trays/drawers to use to put crap in.
^Please don't buy this for the love of God.

But check on Ebay for a good used pioneer Avic, Eclipse, Kenwood, clarion, or Alpine HUs, there are some other good ones but those are generally some of the best. I got a used Alpine S920HD off ebay for $200 and it works flawlessly. just had to get the ebrake bypass after that it was amazing.
Old 08-17-2015, 02:12 PM

Not wanting to spend more than 100? What the heck is that lol. Save your self time and money not to mention a headache and get another bose headunit. Preferably one from a 1999 or 2000-2001 g20 Those are the least problematic.
Old 08-17-2015, 03:46 PM

I have a Bose out of my 99 se-l if ur interested!
Old 08-17-2015, 07:10 PM

Originally Posted by lux97Max
Not wanting to spend more than 100? What the heck is that lol. Save your self time and money not to mention a headache and get another bose headunit. Preferably one from a 1999 or 2000-2001 g20 Those are the least problematic.
yo m, you know what i'm rollin on in my ride. you heard that $hit yo
Old 08-17-2015, 09:34 PM

My ears are still ringing!! Lol that light show tho...
Old 08-17-2015, 10:44 PM

Originally Posted by Crusher103
^Please don't buy this for the love of God.

Whats wrong with it?

Sound quality is good if not better then the bose radio it replaced. It doesn't have to amplify, just output via rca. With all the features and things it can do, I have a hard time spending twice as much for a "name brand" unit that does the same thing.

Unless you have used one or had one in our car, don't judge my buying decision because I wanted to share what I have.
Old 08-18-2015, 04:09 AM

Whats wrong with it?

Sound quality is good if not better then the bose radio it replaced. It doesn't have to amplify, just output via rca. With all the features and things it can do, I have a hard time spending twice as much for a "name brand" unit that does the same thing.

Unless you have used one or had one in our car, don't judge my buying decision because I wanted to share what I have.
electronics are mostly made in china anyway, can't see how this would be any worse than a name brand, sometimes those no name brands hold up pretty good. then sometimes they're complete junk. that one has a$hit ton of features including gps, android bt, etc. just wondering how it's gonna sound linked up to stock speakers though w/o an amp.
Old 08-18-2015, 05:29 AM

$50 single din DUAL from Walmart sounds pretty good in my non-Bose '96.

If your not competing, or trying to impress your boyfriends, there's no need for a $$300 stereo.

You will need the cubby (fills the empty space), wiring adapter, antenna adapter, and appropriate RCA adapter for the Bose speakers.
Old 08-19-2015, 01:05 PM

electronics are mostly made in china anyway, can't see how this would be any worse than a name brand, sometimes those no name brands hold up pretty good. then sometimes they're complete junk. that one has a$hit ton of features including gps, android bt, etc. just wondering how it's gonna sound linked up to stock speakers though w/o an amp.

I ran mine through a 4 band eq to boost up the level of the RCAs. Otherwise it didn't get loud enough. Drawing from personal experience, most of the sound quality differences come from the amplification stage rather than the production itself. Using the RCAs, the amp part is bypassed, and the bose units get to do the work. If you are using the line level adapter, that still uses the head unit amp, then dumbs it down to line level.

I wouldn't have gotten that unit if I was using the amp it came with. Most of the time, I use a USB thumb drive to play mp3s, which don't have CD quality anyway. One thing about it I don't like is the radio reception. It's not very good at all. I even added a coax amplifier with no change in results. I don't use the radio too much, so its OK.

I got burned a while back on some high end kenwood head units. They were the kind with the motorized flip down face. After a few months the motor that moves the face burned out, and I couldn't change CDs. I got a new one under warranty, and it happened again, this time out of warranty. After that I lost my brand recognition and was more willing to try off brand items.
Old 08-19-2015, 02:34 PM

i have a double din pioneer touch screen 3400 with bt, satellite, cd, dvd, ipod, am/fm. only issue i've ever had with it is the satellite lost connectivity and the guy was nice enough to take out the hu and

reboot the sirius box ( easy, but a pita ) and did it 3 times no charge.

otherwise, i have a 5 channel 600 watt alpine amp, coax jl's up front with 6 and a halfs in the rear deck all rms'd out to 145 watts and a rockford fosgate ps2 12 inch 4 ohm sub rms'd out to 250 watts.

all new wires and all, sounds pretty good. $1,400.00 and years later and i finally got it right. trial and error, it's what you like, period.

Last edited by max ride 41; 08-19-2015 at 02:38 PM.
Old 08-19-2015, 10:12 PM

Whats wrong with it?

You get what you pay for.

Proves how much you know. The stock Bose system has an amp behind each individual speaker, if your running stock bose speakers of course you dont need an amp because there are already 4 of them in the car, just run the amp adapter. And i will put money down right now that the ebay unit does NOT sound as good as the stock Bose HU. Just whatever amount you want to wager. Seriously. You will not get the crisp punch out without a Bose HU, nor will you get clear highs. The system was tuned for that specific HU. A few aftermarket HU will come close they cost a lot of money at that.

Honestly it does not take much to have a good system. Once you have a decent one you will see how silly this argument is, especially with how little you have to spend to get one.
Again you get what you pay for.

yea a lot of things are made in China but not everything made in china is made equally, even a Chinese factory worker will tell you that. If you look at lets say a Honda Accord from the 1980s and a Dodge K-car, both were made in America but which one was the higher quality item?

Originally Posted by asand1

If your not competing, or trying to impress your boyfriends, there's no need for a $$300 stereo.

You will need the cubby (fills the empty space), wiring adapter, antenna adapter, and appropriate RCA adapter for the Bose speakers.
See again Dual is crap, it is a step above the ebay special, but for like $10-15 more you could have gotten a kenwood HU out of best buy that would literally **** on the Dual. Here is the thing about it, most of you guys think this is some super expensive competition type item. Its not. You have not begun to see expensive until you start messing around with these newer cars and their completely integrated units that you have no choice but to replace it with OEM parts. It literally cost thousands and the sound that you get from them, with the simplicity of our setups we pay a fraction for. I have a E60, iDrive, do you even want to start on how much it cost to just get a little more bass out of its system, add bluetooth, or even an AUX cable?

I paid 200 for a good used HU that is proven to not only perform but to last. Something that can be updated when technology moves forward and a company that you can call and will lend you some support when you have an issue. i can tell you one thing my HU that i spent $200 3 years down the line will still be working, will the ebay special still be working? Pay once get it over with, buy the cheap part and you will be paying again down the line so just do it once and do it right.

Last edited by Crusher103; 08-19-2015 at 10:37 PM.
Old 08-20-2015, 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by Crusher103
If you look at lets say a Honda Accord from the 1980s and a Dodge K-car, both were made in America but which one was the higher quality item?
The cheaper Honda, there goes your theory.

See again Dual is crap, it is a step above the ebay special,
I got burned a while back on some high end kenwood head units. After a few months the motor that moves the face burned out, and I couldn't change CDs. I got a new one under warranty, and it happened again, this time out of warranty.
My "Crap" DUAL is still working great after a year, wierd.

Last edited by asand1; 08-20-2015 at 02:29 PM.
Old 08-20-2015, 04:39 PM

Originally Posted by jerrod99_se-l
I have a Bose out of my 99 se-l if ur interested!
If it's the same bose out that came with the 95, then sure. How much?
Old 08-20-2015, 04:42 PM

Ok. Any in particular? what sort of set up do you recommend?
Old 08-21-2015, 06:52 AM

The cheaper Honda, there goes your theory.

My "Crap" DUAL is still working great after a year, wierd.
Yea, see your wrong. The Accord was more expensive than the K car. And for good reason. In 85 the 4 door Accord cost $8,845, the equivalent K car the Aries cost $7,039. So my theory still stands

And i'm glad your Dual is still working your getting your moneys worth, doesn't mean its not crap. I have XXR wheels on my car just because they are working fine now doesn't mean they are not **** wheels, they are **** wheel.

Hopefully we all know how to use Ebay and Craigslist to get quality items, USE THEM. Dual i can kinda understand, it is far from the best quality item, but it is sold in local stores and will at least last. But these ebay specials......don't argue to people that crap parts are good just because yours is working, do we even need to go down the list of broken ebay parts, **** build quality and other issues with quality control?
Old 08-21-2015, 02:43 PM
Newbie - Just Registered

I just ordered a single din JVC and the storage slot to go beneath it because there is no spot in the maxima that I can fit my Nexus 6 in!