5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

X-drilled Brembos or Power Slot rotors?

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2003, 01:09 PM

X-drilled Brembos or Power Slot rotors?

They're about the same price. I can't find Brembo blanks anywhere. Are people still experiencing cracks with their x-drilled rotors?
Old 02-20-2003, 01:28 PM

Re: X-drilled Brembos or Power Slot rotors?

Originally posted by kpark
They're about the same price. I can't find Brembo blanks anywhere. Are people still experiencing cracks with their x-drilled rotors?
Let me be the first to tell you, do NOT get cross drilled rotors, unless you just want bling and are prepared for them to crack. I have Stillens that have cracks allll over them. I noticed the cracks early on and it keeps getting worse as time goes on. BTW i only have a few thousand miles on those rotors, they cracked b4 i even could put 5000 miles on them (if that).

I'd get slotted rotors. www.raceconcepts.com has great prices (2 for 100 and 4 for 200). just my .02
Old 02-20-2003, 01:31 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Brembo blanks are available, kpark. The Brembo P/N for 5th Gen Maxima front rotors is 25575. I called Brembo and they have 2,000 5th Gen front blanks in stock. 5th Gen rear rotors have the same part number as 4th Gen rear rotors.

I'm trying to arrange a group deal with Nopi right now. I'd suggest you hang tough until you hear from me. PM me if you have questions.
Old 02-20-2003, 02:31 PM
Banned

i got powerslots, bought them from tirerack.com. I didnt buy x-drilled rotors cuz i knew of the cracking problems. I recommend them.
Old 02-20-2003, 02:45 PM

Originally posted by PHAT2k1A.E.
i got powerslots, bought them from tirerack.com. I didnt buy x-drilled rotors cuz i knew of the cracking problems. I recommend them.
Hmmmm. What did you pay for them, PHAT2k1A.E.? Brembo front blanks are running $44.00 each ($88.00 per pair) at NOPI.
Old 02-20-2003, 04:16 PM
Got Bent?

I have had the x-drilled rotors for 15k miles... no cracks or problems yet. If you autocross or drive really hard then I can see them developing cracks, but on the street they should be fine. Proper break-in of new rotors and pads is very important.
Old 02-20-2003, 04:17 PM

I got my deal from raceconcepts for Brembo blanks and EMC for the rear. I got the cross drilled for looks and slotted. I would say go Brembo
Old 02-20-2003, 04:35 PM

I called raceconcepts today, they don't carry Brembo fronts anymore, just EMCs.
Old 02-20-2003, 05:33 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

There was a group deal on Brembo Rotors not too long ago. $180 for all 4 that comes out to $45 per. Try search and see if you can find the group deal.
Old 02-20-2003, 07:07 PM

This is my experience on a different car.

I used brembo blanks because my stock rotors kept warping. The brembo blanks are meaty, I guess to help with x-drilling. I didn't bother with x-drilling because I just wanted something that wouldn't warp.

The brembos warped as-soon, if not sooner than the stockers.

I finally went with powerslots. These have been the smoothest stoppers I ever used. After 10 months so far and 13k, no hint of warping.

To be honest, I didn't get the powerslots because I thought they were good. I got them because they came with a big brake upgrade kit I put on the car. I went from 11" to 12.5"

So I don't know if I have better resistance to warping because of the bigger brakes or because of the powerslots. All I know, the powerslots have beat all my expectations so far. They must be using very good blanks.

Also, my brembos came bare-***. No other treatments. They rusted up ugly within weeks. The powerslots are zinc washed, and that has held up like new so far. No hint of rust on these things thus far, not even in the vents. schweet
Old 02-20-2003, 08:34 PM

Originally posted by itdood
This is my experience on a different car.

I used brembo blanks because my stock rotors kept warping. The brembo blanks are meaty, I guess to help with x-drilling. I didn't bother with x-drilling because I just wanted something that wouldn't warp.

The brembos warped as-soon, if not sooner than the stockers.

I finally went with powerslots. These have been the smoothest stoppers I ever used. After 10 months so far and 13k, no hint of warping.

To be honest, I didn't get the powerslots because I thought they were good. I got them because they came with a big brake upgrade kit I put on the car. I went from 11" to 12.5"

So I don't know if I have better resistance to warping because of the bigger brakes or because of the powerslots. All I know, the powerslots have beat all my expectations so far. They must be using very good blanks.

Also, my brembos came bare-***. No other treatments. They rusted up ugly within weeks. The powerslots are zinc washed, and that has held up like new so far. No hint of rust on these things thus far, not even in the vents. schweet
Brembos have an excellent reputation, itdood. As a matter of fact, many of the aftermarket brake manufacturers (including Stillen) use Brembo blanks. It's hard to imagine that they're as bad as you make them out to be. But I suppose it's possible that you got a bad set of blanks.

One thing I will say is that Brembo no longer manufactures all of their own blanks. As a result, their quality has become somewhat questionable. I checked with the purchaser at NOPI to make sure that the Maxima blanks are, in fact, manufactured by Brembo. He assured me that they are.
Old 02-20-2003, 10:42 PM

Originally posted by y2kse

Brembos have an excellent reputation, itdood. As a matter of fact, many of the aftermarket brake manufacturers (including Stillen) use Brembo blanks. It's hard to imagine that they're as bad as you make them out to be. But I suppose it's possible that you got a bad set of blanks.

One thing I will say is that Brembo no longer manufactures all of their own blanks. As a result, their quality has become somewhat questionable. I checked with the purchaser at NOPI to make sure that the Maxima blanks are, in fact, manufactured by Brembo. He assured me that they are.
Doesn't Stillen sell front slotted brembo rotors for 5th gen maximas now? It shows at their website!
Old 02-20-2003, 10:45 PM

drilled rotors eat your brake pads like nothing, slotted would be better
Old 02-20-2003, 11:06 PM
Banned

Hmmmm. What did you pay for them, PHAT2k1A.E.? Brembo front blanks are running $44.00 each ($88.00 per pair) at NOPI.
I paid alot , roughly $100 per rotor, roughly $400 in total for front and rear. But it seems worth it to me, couldnt find another place that sells just slotted rotors, definately didnt want x-drilled rotors. For that price I highy doubt those brembo blanks are plated of any kind which means rust big time. Powerslots are silver cadmium plated.
Old 02-21-2003, 05:00 AM

I paid alot , roughly $100 per rotor, roughly $400 in total for front and rear. But it seems worth it to me, couldnt find another place that sells just slotted rotors, definately didnt want x-drilled rotors. For that price I highy doubt those brembo blanks are plated of any kind which means rust big time. Powerslots are silver cadmium plated.
OEM rotors aren't plated either, right? So that means that they've got the same "problem" with rust as Brembo rotors. But I haven't heard anyone complain about the rust "problem" with OEM rotors. Guess most people just learn to live with it.

Paying $55.00 a rotor to alleviate an arguably non-existent problem is more than I, for one, am prepared to spend, PHAT2k1A.E. But to each his own.
Old 02-21-2003, 05:27 AM

I usually use Power Slot since they are cad plated and not too expensive. Slotting or cross drilling is pretty darn silly on a street car though. Not many solid cad plated rotors out there though. The slotting and drilling is just for looks.
Old 02-21-2003, 06:06 AM

I purchased 4 rotors on the group deal from Race Concepts. They are all zinc plated to minimize rust and look goood plated. Went with cross dimpled and slotted - really like the look. Anyone can say they are selling Brembos but the real ones come in the red brembo box with white writing on it.
Old 02-21-2003, 06:39 AM

After warping and rusting up to the point of being butt-ugly, brembo blanks certainly don't have a good reputation with me. Maybe their high end stuff deserves the good reputation, I don't know because I've never used it.
Old 02-21-2003, 06:53 AM

Originally posted by Guru

The slotting and drilling is just for looks.
Exactly!
Old 02-21-2003, 06:55 AM

Originally posted by itdood

After warping and rusting up to the point of being butt-ugly, brembo blanks certainly don't have a good reputation with me. Maybe their high end stuff deserves the good reputation, I don't know because I've never used it.
Fair enough, itdood. I'll take your experience into consideration when I purchase my Brembo blanks.
Old 02-21-2003, 01:40 PM

Can cross-drilled and/or Power Slot rotors be resurfaced?
Old 02-21-2003, 01:44 PM
Got Bent?

Can cross-drilled and/or Power Slot rotors be resurfaced?
they can be, but I don't think any shop would be willing to resurface them for you...
Old 02-21-2003, 02:18 PM
The silent but deadly Moderator

I called raceconcepts during the GD and they said they wouldnt zinc or cad :/ they suggested I paint. bummer.