5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

1st Speeding Ticket Ever...Any suggestions appreciated

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2003, 07:44 PM

1st Speeding Ticket Ever...Any suggestions appreciated

Hey guys, I just spent two hours swearing at my 300.00 Passport 8500 but I'll get to the chase. I was driving on the totally open Rt.90 In mass near Lee (near Albany) going to Howe Caverns with my girlfriend since we have break from school this week. Well I was doing about 80 (65 posted) and my 8500 went off when I was the only one in site. Saw him from a distance so when I passed by he just opened his door waved at me and I pulled over about a few yards in front of him. WHole thing took like 5 min max, got my CT license and registration and I got my ticket for $105.00 for doing 78 in a 65.

Basicly what happened: Driving on that rural country road bout 80 and i was playing with my digital camera cause my girlfirend was showing me pics, I hear passport go off and i see the cop...slow down and when i pass him like 60 he gets outta car waves me in, wtf!??! if he wasted a penny of gas to at least chase me but no, he just waved me in...grr

Ok, I know the ticket is nothing, however car is registered in my moms name and insured on her name also. The insurance is fully under her and I'm a bit worried that they will find out and insurance will rise where as I get castrated. I'm also 17 which is not a good as far as my record. I remember a while ago if you got pulled over in another state it didnt matter.

My plan: Mark not guilty, do some research (call police dept. maybe get them to fax records of the radar maintainance for that cruiser and hopefully find something which will do me good in court?). I know you guys wouldnt mess with it, but for me skipping a day from high school and going to mass is worth it. Also the trooper probably doesnt remember anything from the incident, i dont even remember what he looked like!

Any tips appreciated,
Old 02-20-2003, 08:43 PM

Alright I'll help u a bit... i live in Florida and have had about 3 speeding tickets, so i've been there done that thing.
Well, first if this is your first ticket, "forget about it", just go to court and plead no contest, the judge will throw u no points since this is your first ticket and give you a minimum fine, maybe $30.00 at the most... and if he wants to be an azz, then he'll also throw you driving school, but shouldn't 99%sure that he won't throw points because it is your first ticket.
And the thing about you trying to make a case about it, forget about it, no offense but your only 17 and the judge is going to look at u just as is, and believe the officier,,, trust me my cuz is a cop and me and me our tight, so he tells me the inside tricks, no way you can fight it, just plead no-contest and pay the court cost fine!!!
Don't whatever you do try to fight, unless you have visual proof like a camera on your speedometer and the trooper insight, so don't try...
Hope this helps... remember just plead no contest and throw that radar shiet out the window, the more you have it on the more tickets you'll get, just believe in your guts trust me it helps and if its dark just slow down no way you;ll no if a cop is ahead...
Also, that radar detector will only go off, if he shots his lasar gun at you, which must cops are using lasar guns, and then the radar detector will go off, by that time its already late, he gots a reading and is flagging you down,,, now pull over and assume the position...
Old 02-20-2003, 09:24 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

My advice? You are 17, this isn't the end of the world. I got my first ticket when I was 17... doing 51 in a 35 zone. Big deal. Insurance goes up a little, yeah... big deal. Pay it. Not like it's a huge difference between the already sky-high liability you pay for being a 17-yr old male driver.

Second, don't try some fancy bull about the calibration of the radar unit, etc. Police usually use a laser these days (news flash: NO CALIBRATION NEEDED). Suck it up and pay the ticket, plead no contest, take the points, watch your driving, and in three years, it's off of your insurance record (and in five years, it drops from your police record). Oh, and sell that detector on EBay, 'cause it isn't good with a laser.

Point to consider: As your 'cuz' probably told you already, police officers see your record when they pull you over... so take heed and don't speed. If you get pulled over again for speeding, they'll see the prior on your record, and you'll hang again.

Here in Illinois, we have something called "supervision"... it's where the court let's you go but you still pay the court cost (as long as you don't get another ticket in one year). Hopefully your state has a similar method... the best of both worlds. They get their money, you retain your spotless record.

Just my .02

R
Old 02-20-2003, 09:33 PM
The silent but deadly Moderator

please delete your own post in the not too distant future.. thx
Old 02-20-2003, 09:37 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by TimW
please delete your own post in the not too distant future.. thx
who are you talking to?
Old 02-20-2003, 09:42 PM
Eat Naaawwwzzzzz

Originally posted by 255HP_03_SE

who are you talking to?
probably already deleted his post...lol
i just got my first ticket too 55 in a 35, ill plead no contest, hope for driving school. no points =] but like 300 bucks. o well
Old 02-20-2003, 09:46 PM
The silent but deadly Moderator

to AdamK. its my way of acknowledging the 'community' and allowing you peeps to discuss less than 'on' topics. It still has to be somewhat maxima/car/technically interesting to other 5th gen members, or somebody wanting some 'peer' opinions.

Of course, the other mods can do whatever they please and may kill it right off
Old 02-20-2003, 10:06 PM

Re: 1st Speeding Ticket Ever...Any suggestions appreciated

Originally posted by AdamK
Hey guys, I just spent two hours swearing at my 300.00 Passport 8500 but I'll get to the chase. I was driving on the totally open Rt.90 In mass near Lee (near Albany) going to Howe Caverns with my girlfriend since we have break from school this week. Well I was doing about 80 (65 posted) and my 8500 went off when I was the only one in site. Saw him from a distance so when I passed by he just opened his door waved at me and I pulled over about a few yards in front of him. WHole thing took like 5 min max, got my CT license and registration and I got my ticket for $105.00 for doing 78 in a 65.

Basicly what happened: Driving on that rural country road bout 80 and i was playing with my digital camera cause my girlfirend was showing me pics, I hear passport go off and i see the cop...slow down and when i pass him like 60 he gets outta car waves me in, wtf!??! if he wasted a penny of gas to at least chase me but no, he just waved me in...grr

Ok, I know the ticket is nothing, however car is registered in my moms name and insured on her name also. The insurance is fully under her and I'm a bit worried that they will find out and insurance will rise where as I get castrated. I'm also 17 which is not a good as far as my record. I remember a while ago if you got pulled over in another state it didnt matter.

My plan: Mark not guilty, do some research (call police dept. maybe get them to fax records of the radar maintainance for that cruiser and hopefully find something which will do me good in court?). I know you guys wouldnt mess with it, but for me skipping a day from high school and going to mass is worth it. Also the trooper probably doesnt remember anything from the incident, i dont even remember what he looked like!

Any tips appreciated,
I would opt for the driving school therefore your insurance company will never know of the ticket. Then take the online driving school class. That was the easiest for me.
Old 02-21-2003, 04:48 AM
Dyno plot says I have the most area under the Administrator curve

My case in point for radar detectors not being foolproof no matter how good they are, and pretty much being all but useless nowadays anyways. I don't even bother to put mine up anymore and I safely hit 120 on the way to work this morning.

Following another idiot going the same speed, only he was breaking the cops for me.

Adam,

Since it's your first offense, GO TO COURT, dress nicely, and be apologetic to the judge. As long as they're in a good mood, they'll probably just dismiss your ticket. That's option 1. Option 2 is to try to meet with the officer before the hearing, or even call them, and try to work out a plea bargain down to only 5-over and NO POINTS. Getting NO POINTS is the most important thing since that's what your insurance looks at. I've successfully done just that with a 78/65 I had about 2 years ago. That way it still works out both ways. The officer gets a mark on the board next to his name for issuing a ticket, the jurisdiction still gets some money, and you get off with a slap on the wrist and clear insurance.
Old 02-21-2003, 05:47 AM

Hold on...

Wow you guys are talking alot of time in court there!!

Here's watcha do. I was 17 and got my first (and only) ticket on my mothers insurance also. I had my 81 Malibu, heading for maine, and got nabbed for doing 75 in a 64 (?) on I-495 in Haverhill MA. A radar detector was useless in my situation because he was behind me at night, and i was "playing" with him because he was whipping by cars in the right, and i wanted to keep him there

This was like 3 yrs ago. My insurance NEVER WENT UP since i ever got the ticket. No points off the license, no B.S. from the DMV, etc. And to of this day, they havent seen anything about a ticket.

I-90 is the superspeedway of the northeast, been there done that

SO...>>> Just pay the ticket and be thankful it wasnt a CT trooper that nabbed you. You prob would save if you don't go to court. You have to go to Boston to do anything in the court and waste your time travelling, waiting, lost time at work, etc..

HTH's you out.
-Mike-
Old 02-21-2003, 06:21 AM

Re: Hold on...

Originally posted by spudmanmike
Wow you guys are talking alot of time in court there!!

Here's watcha do. I was 17 and got my first (and only) ticket on my mothers insurance also. I had my 81 Malibu, heading for maine, and got nabbed for doing 75 in a 64 (?) on I-495 in Haverhill MA. A radar detector was useless in my situation because he was behind me at night, and i was "playing" with him because he was whipping by cars in the right, and i wanted to keep him there

This was like 3 yrs ago. My insurance NEVER WENT UP since i ever got the ticket. No points off the license, no B.S. from the DMV, etc. And to of this day, they havent seen anything about a ticket.

I-90 is the superspeedway of the northeast, been there done that

SO...>>> Just pay the ticket and be thankful it wasnt a CT trooper that nabbed you. You prob would save if you don't go to court. You have to go to Boston to do anything in the court and waste your time travelling, waiting, lost time at work, etc..

HTH's you out.
-Mike-
I heard this already, another state no insurance, however...i think the registry is now nationwide so

Also it wasnt laser it was KA band, and there was not a gun... Just turned it on last minute
Old 02-21-2003, 07:07 AM

One other thing to consider. Since you are 17, and still a minor, you may have to have your parent go to court with you. I know when I got a ticket at 16 I didn't fight it because my mother or father would have had to go with me, and I didn't want to have to have them skip work...since it is a drive to get to the MA court, I would just pay it, and stop playing with your camera when you are driving..
Old 02-21-2003, 08:25 AM

Originally posted by mpc578
One other thing to consider. Since you are 17, and still a minor, you may have to have your parent go to court with you. I know when I got a ticket at 16 I didn't fight it because my mother or father would have had to go with me, and I didn't want to have to have them skip work...since it is a drive to get to the MA court, I would just pay it, and stop playing with your camera when you are driving..
sorry to the moderators for not taking this off yet but the orgy-ers are helping me...

I just called the MASS district court for Berkshire County and me being 17 am considered an adult by the State of Mass. So i won't need my parents.

Also just to make sure everyone catches this, the radar was KA and not a laser gun
Old 02-21-2003, 09:11 AM
lcf

Re: Re: Hold on...

I heard this already, another state no insurance, however...i think the registry is now nationwide so

Also it wasnt laser it was KA band, and there was not a gun... Just turned it on last minute
Registry is nationwide? Um, I think I know what you're saying and this is not so. It is FACT that most states do not share "points" with other states but some do! Call your DMV in CT and let the lady know you got a speeding ticket in MA. Ask her if the states share points. If they do, you might be in trouble. If you want to fight it in court, it will definitely be a learning experience. When I was your age, my parents made me pay the ticket and go to traffic school (pretty much another 4 hour class). Most insurance companies will take points off your license for going to school. Depending on insurance company, I believe you're only allowed to go to school once a year to do this. BTW, they have traffic schools online so you don't even have to "go" anywhere!

I've gotten a LOT of speeding tickets in my day but many of the points were never applied to my FL license... thank god. Take the initiative and call to find out. I would actually anonymously call my own insurance company and ask to get a second opinion as well! Just to be sure.

Good luck.
Old 02-21-2003, 10:11 AM

ur pasport is the problem.....i got a K-something or the other and this is guaranteed against laser and radar with sopiticated filters for RFI's.

IT also comes with a one year guarantuee where they will pay for speeding ticket u get.

Dont listen to these people. Obviously they dont know much about the law. You absolutely have the right to due process no matter ho w trivial the offense. You have a right to put his *** on the stand and have him furnish hard evidence that u were speeding and then of course it depends on ur level of intelligence wether you catch him in a lie or something.
Old 02-21-2003, 10:16 AM

Re: Re: Re: Hold on...

Originally posted by lcf
Registry is nationwide? Um, I think I know what you're saying and this is not so.
I'm thinking the same thing...

I say save the time and just pay it, it's only $100 and it's not the end of the world.

My sis went thru a stop sign (here in CT), got a ticket, and the insurance co. "forgave" her. She also rolled a Jeep Cherokee, they totalled it, and again "forgave" her. Then she lightly rear ended something and then it went up. So it took her -3- tickets before the increase. All of this while on my mother's insurance...
Old 02-21-2003, 07:24 PM

okay guys, I am 16 and the Maxima is under my mom's name too....

what happens if I get a ticket? I had many heated discussions with my dad over this, and we still don't know if what we are doing is illegal, or i'll get in trouble if I get stopped by the cops.

Is it fine? because when i drive, i feel like my *** is naked because i feel im not covered by insurance and if i get caught im gonna get nailed.
Old 02-21-2003, 07:46 PM
Moderator GT-R

I don't know if it applies north of the Texas/US border but... If you were here I'd go for deferred adjudication. You pay the full fine and go on probaion for six months. If you don't get another ticket in that time, they dismiss the ticket. It only works once per year. Worth checking out.
Old 02-21-2003, 07:54 PM

2M0A0X2,

As far as I know, as long as you have coverage under you're family's policy, you are fine. I.E. you can tell the insurance you drive mom's 89 accord while you drive the 2k max.

If you drive w/o being insured under your parents, and get into an accident, you are not covered. The person who sues you can also go after you're parents assets such as their house, if you live with them.

Insurance may cost $$$ in the beginning, but if you ever get into a minor fender bender, you won't have to empty your bank account to pay for it.
Old 02-21-2003, 08:16 PM

Originally posted by Uconn411
2M0A0X2,

As far as I know, as long as you have coverage under you're family's policy, you are fine. I.E. you can tell the insurance you drive mom's 89 accord while you drive the 2k max.

If you drive w/o being insured under your parents, and get into an accident, you are not covered. The person who sues you can also go after you're parents assets such as their house, if you live with them.

Insurance may cost $$$ in the beginning, but if you ever get into a minor fender bender, you won't have to empty your bank account to pay for it.
well, the insurance company doesn't even know that i drive......i guess this is bad......my mom wants to treat me as an "undisclosed driver"....this means that my mom gives permission to drive her car, and if i get in trouble, they claim my mom's insurance.

the reason why my parents haven't told the insurance company i drive is because since we have 3 cars, they have to put ME as a full time on one of the cars, and that would be the maxima.......but.....they quoted me 6000 dollars a year (~4000 US dollars). This is completely outrageous when i don't drive the car THAT much.....
Old 02-21-2003, 08:26 PM
Moderator GT-R

I don't know if it applies north of the Texas/US border but... If you were here I'd go for deferred adjudication. You pay the full fine and go on probaion for six months. If you don't get another ticket in that time, they dismiss the ticket. It only works once per year. Worth checking out.
Old 02-21-2003, 09:02 PM

Originally posted by 2M0A0X2

well, the insurance company doesn't even know that i drive......i guess this is bad......my mom wants to treat me as an "undisclosed driver"....this means that my mom gives permission to drive her car, and if i get in trouble, they claim my mom's insurance.

the reason why my parents haven't told the insurance company i drive is because since we have 3 cars, they have to put ME as a full time on one of the cars, and that would be the maxima.......but.....they quoted me 6000 dollars a year (~4000 US dollars). This is completely outrageous when i don't drive the car THAT much.....
same boat as you buddy, undisclosed driver, called my insurance agent and he says it shoudlnt go on record, not too sure i am hearing a million different stories, wish me luck!
Old 02-21-2003, 09:07 PM

same boat as you buddy, undisclosed driver, called my insurance agent and he says it shoudlnt go on record, not too sure i am hearing a million different stories, wish me luck!

wishin...wishin....praying....