5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Dilemna!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2003, 04:12 PM

Dilemna!!!!

So I am thinking of jumping ship with my current ride (Honda Civic) and getting a Maxima SE..

The problems are as follows:

1) The dealer is having a heck of a time finding the 03 SE that I want (white or gray lustre w/6-speed).

2) Nissan isn't making any more 03s so it will be harder and harder as time progresses unless I buy right now - which I am not quite (very close) to being ready.

3) I haven't seen an 04 in person (who has?) and from the pics I've seen it's a little "rugged" and I might not like it - plus it will probably be hard to get and expensively marked up when it comes out (I heard next month!!)

So, that said, what do you guys think I should do? I could opt for the auto transmission which would make it much easier to find "my car", but I might miss out on what I really want (manual trans.)

Thanks in advance for your thoughts and words of encouragement haha,
Kevin
Old 02-23-2003, 04:59 PM

Re: Dilemna!!!!

Originally posted by maxcosity
So I am thinking of jumping ship with my current ride (Honda Civic) and getting a Maxima SE..

The problems are as follows:

1) The dealer is having a heck of a time finding the 03 SE that I want (white or gray lustre w/6-speed).

2) Nissan isn't making any more 03s so it will be harder and harder as time progresses unless I buy right now - which I am not quite (very close) to being ready.

3) I haven't seen an 04 in person (who has?) and from the pics I've seen it's a little "rugged" and I might not like it - plus it will probably be hard to get and expensively marked up when it comes out (I heard next month!!)

So, that said, what do you guys think I should do? I could opt for the auto transmission which would make it much easier to find "my car", but I might miss out on what I really want (manual trans.)

Thanks in advance for your thoughts and words of encouragement haha,
Kevin

dont give up! get your manual~
Old 02-23-2003, 05:49 PM
Doctorate in Detailing

Check the dealerships for any 02's also. Probably not any new SE 6 speeds left, but you might luck out and find a used one with low miles. Probably get a good deal too, seeing as how fast they have been depreciating.
Old 02-23-2003, 05:55 PM

yea mann get what u want get the manual... ull regret it later if u get something u dont want
Old 02-23-2003, 06:01 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Stick to your guns and get the 6 speed. If I would compromise anything, it would be color, not tranny. Good luck.

DW
Old 02-23-2003, 06:51 PM

Definately get the MT. I have a 2K1 auto,
and kicking myself in the **** for not getting a stick.
Old 02-23-2003, 07:13 PM

Originally posted by speedy2k1
Definately get the MT. I have a 2K1 auto,
and kicking myself in the **** for not getting a stick.

Yeah, but my choices if I get a manual are 3 (only 1 matches color) and I'd have to get it NOW, new, from a dealer and it has options I don't want to pay for (meridian pkg and some other things)..

My choices if I get an AUTO are hundreds, with any options I want.. new or used...
Old 02-23-2003, 07:24 PM

Don't compromise on the tranny. Get the manual that you want. Keep looking. Your efforts will pay off. Don't wait too long because these 6 speeds are being snatched up quick.
Old 02-23-2003, 07:37 PM

Hey Maxcosity - I agree with these guys - do whatever it takes to get what you want. I was also worried that I wouldn't be able to find the car I wanted about a month and half ago but I think I got a little lucky. I got everything that I wanted except the color (got sheer silver, wanted grey lustre). Still, I think the color is growing on me - if only the damn weather would cooperate a little more and give us some dry, warmer days. You definitely feel a lot more "connected" driving a 6 speed.

Everyone is in a different situation....but if you can swing it, get that Meridian package. When I got this car, I was thinking "You know, I don't think anyone deserves a heated steering wheel - least of all ME." Let me sum it up in one word: ADDICTIVE!

This is a great car. You really can't get this much car for the money from any other auto maker. When I tell people I bought a Maxima SE I certainly don't get the oohs and ahhs that my friends get when they say they bought an A4 and 330ci Convertible. But I don't care about that - I've always wanted this car and so far, I'm very happy.

Good luck and keep us posted.
Old 02-23-2003, 07:45 PM

Yeah, I really want the 6-speed... I just don't know if there will be one available when I'm ready to buy (soon)...

Hopefully there will be..

Kevin
Old 02-23-2003, 07:54 PM

There's a dark blue '03 loaded SE 6 speed on ebay. I think they're looking for $26K, but it is new. I thought the color combo looked great. Check it out. Go to ebay and search for '03 maxima. Good luck.
Old 02-23-2003, 08:17 PM

You have a real dilemma here. You don't what you settle but you don't want to lose out. Maybe start an independent search to dealers around the country. I regret the day I didn't get the manual so don't put yourself into my situation.
And as for the 2K4 I have a strong feeling that the markup is going to be unreal. In the past 1.5 yrs Nissan/Infiniti cars has became very much sort after cars.
Old 02-23-2003, 08:30 PM
Wat

Re: Dilemna!!!!

tell your dealer to do a nationwide search.......i live in FL and there are tons 2k3's here. youre bound to find one you want. Good luck man
Old 02-23-2003, 08:51 PM

Get EXACTLY what you want, otherwise you may regret it later. I wished I had gotten all the bells and whistles that these other guys have, it makes it easier when you get your monthly car payment, because you don't have any regrets when you cruise in your new car that is just the way you want it!
Old 02-23-2003, 09:42 PM

Originally posted by maxcosity

Yeah, but my choices if I get a manual are 3 (only 1 matches color) and I'd have to get it NOW, new, from a dealer and it has options I don't want to pay for (meridian pkg and some other things)..

My choices if I get an AUTO are hundreds, with any options I want.. new or used...
Getting a car with options you don't want is better than getting one without the options you do want. It's not that much more for meridian and with the disounts going on with low APR you should do ok on the payment. Otherwise look for a used 02 with low miles you should be able to get a great deal there.