General Maxima Discussion This a general area for Maxima discussions for all years. For more specific questions, visit one of the generation-specific forums.

5 Speed Transmission Dilemna

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2002, 06:46 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

5 Speed Transmission Dilemna

My bearings are shot, yet another 4th gen tranny bites the dust. Of course my car still works now, but its nosiy as hell!

Here's my dilemna;

Do I
a) Re-build my tranny with 125K miles, replacing the bearings and putting in new clutch, knowing that there is the distinct possibility that my synchros may go later given that the tranny is kinda old?

b) Find a junked younger 4th gen tranny and rebuild that with new bearings and clutch?

c) Would it be possible to fit a 2K or 2K1 5 speed tranny to my 4th gen?? Nissan did beef up the 5 speed on the 2K model, maybe I could benefit.

Replacing the synchros is a possibility, but I've been told it's a very expensive one. I may as well just buy a new tranny in that case.

Give me some suggestions.

Thx.

DW
Old 03-01-2002, 07:22 PM

Maybe you could find a VLSD tranny from a 5-speed Infiniti I30. Would take a lot of searching...but they're out there.

Later,
-Nick
Old 03-01-2002, 07:23 PM

Re: 5 Speed Transmission Dilemna

maybe you can try to pm ericdwong? I think he had a bearing issue, or am I on drugs?
Old 03-03-2002, 12:23 AM

Another one bites the dust... which bearing is it thats bad? I'm assuming differential since these are the most problematic. Funny yours comes up at the same time GTRBlkMax97's did.

I remember answering your questions in http://forums.maxima.org/showthread....ission+problem , how did you determine yours were bad? It seemed like from your posts back in October your tranny was still OK.
Old 03-03-2002, 05:34 AM
Banned

d. Replace with an auto
Old 03-03-2002, 06:42 AM

I looked into the VLSD tranny. The mechanic told me that I would have to change more than the tranny. I would need to change axles. So, more work, more money. I'm still thinking about it, though.

The reason this tranny problem came as a bit of a surprise is because I also had a bad wheelbearing which I replaced. The wheel bearing was making a humming noise which must have masked the tranny whining that was probably there. When I fixed the bearing, I got back to quiet cruising. Then I noticed the gear whine. 1st, 2nd and 3rd gear, they whine. Even 4th and 5th whine, but not so much as the others. It's interesting, my clutch is still good, but the bearing went Oh well, at least I got 125,000 miles out of this tranny, so that ain't so bad. Also, when I leave the car in neutral and let out the clutch I hear whatever it is I just engaged (still in neutral) spinning around and making quite a commotion.

I remember when I got my car, the 2000 model had just come out, and in the brochure, they said the 5 speed had stronger gears. I kept on asking myself, "what was wrong with the 95-99 5 speed?" Now I know. Actually, having heard all the stories here, I knew it was a matter of time. Especially with my spirited driving

Anyway, keep the suggestions coming. Thx.

DW
Old 03-03-2002, 08:08 AM

Originally posted by dwapenyi
I looked into the VLSD tranny. The mechanic told me that I would have to change more than the tranny. I would need to change axles. So, more work, more money. I'm still thinking about it, though.
I've never driven the VSLD tranny, but I added a Quaife, and I will never go back to driving any vehicle with an open differential.

The reason this tranny problem came as a bit of a surprise is because I also had a bad wheelbearing which I replaced. The wheel bearing was making a humming noise which must have masked the tranny whining that was probably there. When I fixed the bearing, I got back to quiet cruising. Then I noticed the gear whine. 1st, 2nd and 3rd gear, they whine. Even 4th and 5th whine, but not so much as the others. It's interesting, my clutch is still good, but the bearing went Oh well, at least I got 125,000 miles out of this tranny, so that ain't so bad. Also, when I leave the car in neutral and let out the clutch I hear whatever it is I just engaged (still in neutral) spinning around and making quite a commotion.
125,000 miles is too young for a japanese tranny. But you faired better then most of us who had their bearings fail at 60,000.

This may actually be normal. What happens when the clutch is engaged and the tranny is in neutral is that the clutch disc and the input shaft is spinning. On My car its not too noticeable, but on my bike its kinda subtle.

I remember when I got my car, the 2000 model had just come out, and in the brochure, they said the 5 speed had stronger gears. I kept on asking myself, "what was wrong with the 95-99 5 speed?" Now I know. Actually, having heard all the stories here, I knew it was a matter of time. Especially with my spirited driving
I blew my 2nd gear before. But since then I got my internals cryogenically treated for strength. If you're into hard driving and racing I suggest getting it done
Old 03-04-2002, 08:16 AM

Here's an update for you. I went with choice B. My tranny guy found a 99 5 speed tranny with 56K miles. He'll put that in with my ACT clutch and re-surface the flywheel for $1600, 1200 for the tranny. I made this choice based on the fact that my car has quite a few miles. This tranny will probably bring me to 200K on my car or so. I'll think about other stuff then.

It's interesting, he won't gaurantee the ACT clutch because I got it myself, but if he installed the stock Nissan clutch that he would have gotten from his suplier, he would have warrantied it forever. I asked him, if I drive real hard and abuse all hell out of the clutch and kill it in 5K miles, you'll replace it for free, parts AND labor?? He said yes. Quite compelling, but I'm sticking withe ACT clutch. Ive always felt the stock clutch wasn't quite up to grabbing all of the VQ's torque.

Thx for the suggestions, guys

DW