5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

question of speeding ticket please

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2003, 04:43 PM

question of speeding ticket please

i was speeding at 86mph in a 55 zone.
that comes out to 31 over the speed limit.
what is going to happen on my insurance?
i know i'll be fined an amount of money but what about my insurance?
please help out guys, i know some of u maxima drivers have gone a bit out fast too.
thanks
Old 02-23-2003, 04:50 PM

Re: question of speeding ticket please

Originally posted by maxima00
please help out guys, i know some of u maxima drivers have gone a bit out fast too.
thanks
I see from your profile, you're from NY....31 mph over the speed limit is big points in NY state....11 points i think (have the chart at work)....i would suggest you plead not guilty & fight the ticket to get it reduced...probably need an attorney if the cop was really hard on ya'....also insurance is gonna skyrocket

sorry for the bad news
Old 02-23-2003, 04:55 PM

Re: Re: question of speeding ticket please

[QUOTE]Originally posted by RC03MAX
[B]

I see from your profile, you're from NY....31 mph over the speed limit is big points in NY state....11 points i think (have the chart at work)....i would suggest you plead not guilty & fight the ticket to get it reduced...probably need an attorney if the cop was really hard on ya'....also insurance is gonna skyrocket

]
The cop was really nice and polite...The ticket was issued around Binghamton. Should i jus plead guilty and hope it becomes reduced or try to fight it in court ?
...if i plead not guilty im afraid they're going throw the full punishment on me.
This is my first speeding ticket ever. ( first ticket ever period.)
Old 02-23-2003, 05:19 PM
Got Bent?

I got caught going 82 in a 55 about 2 years ago... It was my first ticket ever and I went to court and pleaded guilty. I ended up with no points and a reduced fine, but I had to attend a driver improvement class
Old 02-23-2003, 05:21 PM

lucky man

Originally posted by UMD_MaxSE
I got caught going 82 in a 55 about 2 years ago... It was my first ticket ever and I went to court and pleaded guilty. I ended up with no points and a reduced fine, but I had to attend a driver improvement class
i can't take that risk of going to court and pleading guilty hoping nothing happens to me.
anyone else can youguys help me out here?
Old 02-23-2003, 05:24 PM
Got Bent?

Re: lucky man

i can't take that risk of going to court and pleading guilty hoping nothing happens to me.
anyone else can youguys help me out here?
is it your first ticket? If so, they will go easy on you.
Old 02-23-2003, 05:45 PM

Re: Re: lucky man

Originally posted by UMD_MaxSE

is it your first ticket? If so, they will go easy on you.
if you plead guilty, they will not reduce the ticket (they're not stupid in NY, especially because they need the money these days)...i've seen alot of cops on the road the last two months

if you show up to court, the cop will want to make a deal with you (he'll even approach you about it), they want to get out of there faster than you do...unfortunately i've had alot of experience with this in the past....plead not guilty, go to court & talk to the cop

all of my speeding tickets have been above 25 mph and they all got reduced...it mught cost you a couple of $$'s more but it's well worth it in the long run (insurance)
Old 02-23-2003, 05:49 PM

Re: Re: Re: lucky man

Originally posted by RC03MAX

if you plead guilty, they will not reduce the ticket (they're not stupid in NY, especially because they need the money these days)...i've seen alot of cops on the road the last two months

if you show up to court, the cop will want to make a deal with you (he'll even approach you about it), they want to get out of there faster than you do...unfortunately i've had alot of experience with this in the past....plead not guilty, go to court & talk to the cop

all of my speeding tickets have been above 25 mph and they all got reduced...it mught cost you a couple of $$'s more but it's well worth it in the long run (insurance)
thank u so much man.
thats what im going to do...even though its a 3 hour drive for me to get there...i just want to show up and plead guilty. hopefully i can kiss up and negotiate a sweet deal. and since itrs my first time i won't be crapped on. thanks guys.
by the way...if the court date is on the 17 of march, and i cant make it, what should i do? just write and send them a letter?will this affect my outcome in anyway?
Old 02-23-2003, 05:54 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: lucky man

thank u so much man.
thats what im going to do...even though its a 3 hour drive for me to get there...i just want to show up and plead guilty. hopefully i can kiss up and negotiate a sweet deal. and since itrs my first time i won't be crapped on. thanks guys.
by the way...if the court date is on the 17 of march, and i cant make it, what should i do? just write and send them a letter?will this affect my outcome in anyway?
yes...you're allowed to postpone.....i always do it anyway (try to mess things up), in the past i got off two different tickets....one because they lost it & i never heard from them again and the other cause the cop didn't show

Good Luck
Old 02-23-2003, 06:08 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: lucky man

Originally posted by RC03MAX

yes...you're allowed to postpone.....i always do it anyway (try to mess things up), in the past i got off two different tickets....one because they lost it & i never heard from them again and the other cause the cop didn't show

Good Luck
hey if i re-arrange my court date, how will i be notified for my new court date?
Old 02-23-2003, 06:36 PM

thanks
pleed probation before judgement
Old 02-23-2003, 06:38 PM

Re: Re: question of speeding ticket please

Originally posted by Igor911

pleed probation before judgement

probation? for an year?
so they woudn't fine me or penalize me at all?
how would that work?
thanks a lot.
Old 02-23-2003, 06:41 PM

Re: Re: Re: question of speeding ticket please

probation? for an year?
so they woudn't fine me or penalize me at all?
how would that work?
thanks a lot.
In MD if u never been stoped b4 or u havnt had a ticket in a while, u can plead a PBJ and get off with a $50 fine and 0 points and its not on ur record
Old 02-23-2003, 08:07 PM
Wat

thanks
Driver improvement school or an attourney. They might be able to get rid of the points and just have you pay the fine or pay the fine and go to traffic school. if you just go to school for the ticket, no points, and a reduced fine.....but u can only do that 5 times in your life.
Old 02-23-2003, 08:20 PM
Play with my balls

Re: Re: Re: Re: question of speeding ticket please

Originally posted by Igor911

In MD if u never been stoped b4 or u havnt had a ticket in a while, u can plead a PBJ and get off with a $50 fine and 0 points and its not on ur record
I've have about 33 tickets here in NC........don't flame and I'm not bragging by any means. To be honest with you it sucks, more than 3/4 of the time it's being at the wrong place at the wrong time. All of these have never been when I actually know I'm speeding, its been when I'm cruising along a few miles over and not realizing it, and just trying to get to where I'm going. All are taken care of by being reduced and being dropped. It's cost me thousands which has been the stupidest waste of money I've spent. But my record is clean and I've invested in a Passport 8500 a month ago, (one of the best investments ever)!

I'm not sure how things work in NY but I'll advise on NC since I'm a pro at it. First thing is to get it continued as many times as they allow, this provides a good chance for the officer not to show when you actually do have to appear in court. In NC this is called a "continuance", and is done over the phone, or on the day of court. If over the phone you have to call a couple of days before date of court or on that day. They will then provide you with a new court date at that time. In NC we usually get a maximum of 2 continuances.

Next, we have DAs (District Attorneys) that prosecute for the state down here in court. You can ask the DA for a reduction in speed to 9 Over (NC). Down here, First offense and 9 over doesn't report to insurance. Try first to plead to improper equipment, that's not reportable also. Normally this is the course of action your hired attorneys take.

Lastly, if the above mention fails, you can request driving school for a reduction of points or dropped altogether. Or you can just request this as well as the above just to show the judge you actually do care about rules and regulations, and they might go easy on you. Normally for first offenses here in NC this verdict is usually given automatically. If anything like NC you don't really want to use your PJC (Prayer for Judgement). This is like probation, and you are allowed 2 per 3 years. If you get another ticket and you are on a PJC within a years period, that new ticket will kick in and the one you asked for the PJC for will come back on you, this would be like 2 fold.

Your last option, which I think will give you a better chance is spend the extra cash and just get a lawyer (this is why i've spent so much money). Normally in NC, it's about $300 for your particular offense, but if you have a friend that's one, they'll hook you up. I just now became good friends with one. Luckly, I go out for drinks with my lawyer, and we play soccer together. (Where was he when I needed him before, huh)? Shop around for rates.

Sorry this post is so long, but just trying to help you out, I know how much of a pain getting a ticket is. Yours isn't too bad since this is your first offense, and again my assistance is based off what I've been through in North Carolina, and not sure of the state laws in New York.

Good Luck PS: Buy a Passport 8500, it's saved my but more than a dozen times since I've gotten it.
Old 02-24-2003, 12:42 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: question of speeding ticket please

thanks a lot i appreciate it man.
i will try to delay it as much as i can...i wish i could afford a lawyer but i dont have $300 to use on.
im going to ask for probation and just pray to god they reduce it. i'll take drivers school and all.
wish me luck guys, hopefully the judge tht day is having a good damn day.