5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Turbo Maxima VIDEO complete with more shots

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2003, 07:59 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Turbo Maxima VIDEO complete with more shots

For those of you that never got a chance to see my car in full plus the fact that I didnt put many pics up there initially because of the snow we had and my car was dirty from the snow, here is a Video to ease your pain.

BigDogJonx's TurboMax

You can click right on the link or right click and Save As if you like. It is 10mb, sorry for those of you on dialup.

Right now im pushing 5.5-6psi of boost, im going to push it to 10 soon. Maybe once I get the Boost controller I will do that.

Dixit
Old 03-02-2003, 08:25 PM

Re: Turbo Maxima VIDEO complete with more shots

Originally posted by BigDogJonx
For those of you that never got a chance to see my car in full plus the fact that I didnt put many pics up there initially because of the snow we had and my car was dirty from the snow, here is a Video to ease your pain.

BigDogJonx's TurboMax

You can click right on the link or right click and Save As if you like.

Right now im pushing 5.5-6psi of boost, im going to push it to 10 soon. Maybe once I get the Boost controller I will do that.

Dixit
excellent choice of music and nie video. the gauge cluster on the last run seemed like it came from a 2k2 whereas the 1st run looked like the gauges from a 2k1. are my eyes deceiving me?
Old 03-02-2003, 08:32 PM

Re: Re: Turbo Maxima VIDEO complete with more shots

Originally posted by slickrick

excellent choice of music and nie video. the gauge cluster on the last run seemed like it came from a 2k2 whereas the 1st run looked like the gauges from a 2k1. are my eyes deceiving me?
Nope, first one was a day shot, 2nd one was a night shot. Easiest way to tell if you have 2k2 gauges is look for an LCD screen under the RPMs for the Temp/Miles to Empty/and all that good stuff screen.

Dixit
Old 03-02-2003, 08:38 PM
Clay Aiken has fancy genitals

No one has really commented yet on the performance of their turbo yet. How does it feel? If you were in my shoes, would you drop the $4K on a turbo or trade up for a 2K3?

By the way, sweet video. I finally got high speed internet so I can watch these things now.
Old 03-02-2003, 08:43 PM

Originally posted by asu174
No one has really commented yet on the performance of their turbo yet. How does it feel? If you were in my shoes, would you drop the $4K on a turbo or trade up for a 2K3?

By the way, sweet video. I finally got high speed internet so I can watch these things now.
Get the turbo Andy. They are bad a$$! I can install it for you too, the shop I work in specializes in turbo's. You can ride in our shop car (2000 contour SVT turbo), and see for yourself. It has the same powerband as nitrous, but it's there all the time.
Old 03-02-2003, 08:44 PM

To clearly answer your question, I would not trade this car for a 2k3 or a 2k2 for anything. I can whip a 2k2 6spd with my eyes closed on this turbo now. Even though it wouldve been nice to have gotten the 2k2 before I got this car and then turbo that. I missed the 2k2 by 2months when I bought my 2k1.

Dixit
Old 03-02-2003, 08:48 PM
Clay Aiken has fancy genitals

Originally posted by 2K2_6spd

Get the turbo Andy. They are bad a$$! I can install it for you too, the shop I work in specializes in turbo's. You can ride in our shop car (2000 contour SVT turbo), and see for yourself. It has the same powerband as nitrous, but it's there all the time.
VERY interesting. I might keep this car afterall. I need to make a few deals happen at work and then I'll be back in the saddle.
Old 03-02-2003, 08:55 PM

VERY interesting. I might keep this car afterall. I need to make a few deals happen at work and then I'll be back in the saddle.
Not to jerk anyone around, or make B.S. promises, but after the Contour/Cougar tubo's are all built, we are gonna tear into the Max and see if we can make the same kit fit a 2k2. We use a compact liquid intercooler that takes up almost no extra room under the hood.
Old 03-02-2003, 08:56 PM

Re: Re: Re: Turbo Maxima VIDEO complete with more shots

Nope, first one was a day shot, 2nd one was a night shot. Easiest way to tell if you have 2k2 gauges is look for an LCD screen under the RPMs for the Temp/Miles to Empty/and all that good stuff screen.

Dixit
ok when i watched it again i saw the day and night thing. i mistakely took the odometer gauge as the temp/mpg gauge and thats why i thought it looked like a 2k2.
Old 03-02-2003, 09:09 PM

NICE! 1/4 mile times?
Old 03-02-2003, 09:14 PM

Originally posted by Maximam
NICE! 1/4 mile times?
All in due time, all in due time.
Old 03-02-2003, 09:22 PM

sup...very Niceeeee!~~~~~~~~~

Wow.. U got everything man..hopefully i'll get Turbo or S.C sOon!
take cares..
Old 03-02-2003, 10:26 PM

Looks awesome Dixit. I'm sure you'll enjoy that badboy.
Old 03-02-2003, 10:30 PM

Originally posted by Y2KSESteve
Looks awesome Dixit. I'm sure you'll enjoy that badboy.
More like BEEN enjoying it for the past week.
Old 03-02-2003, 10:36 PM

More like BEEN enjoying it for the past week.
Get some video or sound clips of your engine. That should be enough music for everyone to hear.
Old 03-02-2003, 10:44 PM

Nice video BigDog. Can you hear the BOV between shifts?

I hope the turbo kits for the 2k2's are just as reliable as the ones for the 2k's and 2k1's. This is going to be a must have mod. Will be interesting to see how much power you can run on the stock fuel system.

Jesse
Old 03-03-2003, 12:00 AM

BigDogJonx's TurboMax

You can click right on the link or right click and Save As if you like. It is 10mb, sorry for those of you on dialup.

Dixit
WOW THATS BAD A$$ !!!! You realy got me thinking about saving for a Turbo now. Very Nice video and choice of music!!!!!!
Old 03-03-2003, 12:07 AM

02MaximizedVQ: I can hear the BOV when I let off the gas, cant really hear it between shifts since the auto pretty much holds the PSI while it shifts.

Max_Vader_2k: Thanks!

I will by dyno-ing it this weekend, just got to get the SAFC wired up again, and then turn the boost upto 10 and get it dynoed.

Dixit
Old 03-03-2003, 06:39 AM

BigDogJonx's TurboMax

Dixit
Hey Dixit, you always amaze me, you and Kevin are from the same roots. The video is cool and btw excellent choice for music, I'm glad for you man after going the sc route and all the trouble you must be very happy of playing with your new beast.

Congrats and keep up.

P.S: Spring will be on it's way soon here, so I cant wait to do the dual exhaust set-up, but for now I will content myself and drop the car to the paintshop todays...

Cheers

AA
Old 03-03-2003, 08:50 AM
PoweredbyNissan

I will by dyno-ing it this weekend, just got to get the SAFC wired up again, and then turn the boost upto 10 and get it dynoed.

Dixit
Is it safe to push 10psi on the 3.0 stock engine?

Old 03-03-2003, 09:40 AM

very nice video and surprisingly downloaded pretty quickly, you got a good server. keep up the good work, would love to see some more footage
Old 03-03-2003, 09:42 AM

very nice video and surprisingly downloaded pretty quickly, you got a good server. keep up the good work, would love to see some more footage.
Old 03-03-2003, 09:47 AM

Originally posted by PoweredbyNissan

I think it's more the tranny I'd be concerned about first, I think the VQ 3.0l can handle10 psi but not shure if the stock fuel pump can supply enough fuel at 10 psi. I would think a Wallbro fuel pump and maybe bigger injectors could be appropriate with this kind of boost. Just my 2 cents.

AA
Old 03-03-2003, 10:37 AM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Originally posted by PoweredbyNissan

It may not be safe, but you have to pay to play. I'm currently pushing 10.3 psi with the turbo on a stock motor.
Old 03-03-2003, 10:41 AM
Fastest Fantasy Maxima Evar

Originally posted by Y2KevSE

It may not be safe, but you have to pay to play. I'm currently pushing 10.3 psi with the turbo on a stock motor.
[chant]
Dyno
*hurry up*
Dyno
*hurry up*
Dyno
*hurry up*
Dyno
*hurry up*
Dyno
[/chant]
Old 03-03-2003, 10:59 AM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Originally posted by IceY2K1

[chant]
Dyno
*hurry up*
Dyno
*hurry up*
Dyno
*hurry up*
Dyno
*hurry up*
Dyno
[/chant]
Next week.
Old 03-03-2003, 11:03 AM
Old Fuddy Duddy

[chant]
Dyno
*hurry up*
Dyno
*hurry up*
Dyno
*hurry up*
Dyno
*hurry up*
Dyno
[/chant]
Mr. Impatient (Alex ) --> <-- Kevin and or Dixit
Old 03-03-2003, 11:20 AM

Nice

Congrats,
yeah i definitely wanna hear the sound of the engine and stuff.
oh, and is it me or is your steering wheel tilted a bit like you need an alignment???
good luck
Old 03-03-2003, 11:20 AM

Carry on.......

Originally posted by Colonel

Mr. Impatient (Alex ) --> <-- Kevin

First off, Awesome video and audio mix but more importantly *dayum* i can only pray and wish upon a star to have a turbo Max. My prayers only say....need a video with just the VQ singing and hearing the Turbo go..Pssst...

Secondly Colonel, you just made my morning sir. That is just to funny and everyone around me thought I was just crazy, laughing all by myself.

Shift_boost on (
Old 03-03-2003, 11:25 AM

Next week.
Joaquink is gonna beat ya! Just kidding.

Did you get his call last night? I don't think he could find your phone number, but we got the FPR figured out. I left before the "fun" part of disconnecting the return fuel line happened.

Hopefully, he finished that last night. I believe the oil lines and finding a PROPER vacuum line from the manifold to the FPR was all that was left besides electronics. Plus, fixing the intercooler brackets, but nothing a few zip ties won't fix.
Old 03-03-2003, 11:32 AM
The silent but deadly Moderator

go... go... go... go... go Dixit, it's your boostday..
Old 03-03-2003, 11:35 AM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Joaquink is gonna beat ya!:wall Just kidding.

Did you get his call last night? I don't think he could find your phone number, but we got the FPR figured out. I left before the "fun" part of disconnecting the return fuel line happened.

Hopefully, he finished that last night. I believe the oil lines and finding a PROPER vacuum line from the manifold to the FPR was all that was left besides electronics. Plus, fixing the intercooler brackets, but nothing a few zip ties won't fix. :-D
I forgot to give him my new number but he has it now.

Alex working on cars?!?!

I told Joaquin to just tee off the vacuum from the FPR.

Dixit... Stillen Big Mouth Bumper?!?!?
Old 03-03-2003, 11:38 AM
lcf

Threads like this make me wish I was 3 years older with a good job and money to spend.

Dixit, do you have your vb recalibrated?
Old 03-03-2003, 11:54 AM
Old Fuddy Duddy

Originally posted by Alex
...I don't think he could find your phone number, but we got the FPR figured out. I left before the "fun" part of disconnecting the return fuel line happened....
So you are "hands on" with this install? Thats pretty cool? You planning on doing it?

Originally posted by guchi
...Secondly Colonel, you just made my morning sir.....
hehe...gotta make smiles somehow..I have been at work since 5am EST...DOH!
Old 03-03-2003, 01:15 PM

Kev, Bigmouth front? eeewwww I want the Aero kit, now that i got rid of the muffler. Hey I want to know how your dyno goes with your greddy, I want to know if you see yourself choking at top end with it.

Alex: Soon, patience, dyno hopefully this weekend.

LCF: Maximum Tuning vbModed. Seem okay but the 2-3shift seems to hold for 1sec and while the engine is boosting it shoots up the RPMs and makes me think im chewing up the tranny.

10psi will be fine, have faith playa!

Dixit
Old 03-03-2003, 01:33 PM
Rice Boy in Denial =)

Kev, Bigmouth front? eeewwww I want the Aero kit, now that i got rid of the muffler. Hey I want to know how your dyno goes with your greddy, I want to know if you see yourself choking at top end with it.

Dixit
I have the BMB on order. It should go well with the IC... and since there are two humongous fog light holes you can build a CAI on one side and put the oil cooler/tranny cooler on the other. The Stillen Aero kit does not provide as much air flow to the IC as I would like. Unless you plan on chopping off the lower portion of the bumper, the opening, IMHO, is too small.

The 2.5" will choke it somewhat. I've seen it happen with the 2.87 pulley during the last dyno session. The top end wasn't as linear as with the 3.125.

I'll definitely let you guys know how the dyno goes... I don't have a scanner anymore so I need to find a way of posting up the graphs. Good luck with your dyno!
Old 03-03-2003, 01:51 PM

I forgot to give him my new number but he has it now.

Alex working on cars?!?!

I told Joaquin to just tee off the vacuum from the FPR.
Kev: The vacuum line to the FPR is the vacuum line we were looking to locate to the manifold. Where did you get vacuum source for the FPR from?

Jon: Not yet, but hopefully Joaquink lets me get in there. I helped run a vacuum line, trace the fuel lines/locate the return fuel line, and mount the FPR. That's it so far. I'm there to learn more than do anything. He had all the cutting/grinding/cussing on the tubing and intercooler parts done before I got there. Hehe. I'm hoping to show my electrical 'skills' once the boost controller, Fields AFC, and whatever other goodies he has are ready for install.

Dixit: Can't wait!

Kev: The BMB is FUUUUUUGLY! Get the 2K2 front bumper and put an aftermarket/custom grille in it. It has waaaaay MORE airflow than the 2K-2K1. Of couse you have to be a and will get the BMB. I think it looks alright on a black Max(Dixit), because you can't see all the details. However, your oil cooler and CAI idea sounds interesting.
Old 03-03-2003, 05:17 PM

I just cant see myself getting the BMB front one from Stillen, I would much rather take the Ninja or Sarona style one.

Kev, dont know about it not getting enough air, I only have a 30x6 intercooler, so I think getting a larger kit really wont help much. If I did get a bigger opening, the intercooler would look much smaller than normal. Which might not look as good.

I dont like the Ninja front because of the opening how it has to be custom modified if you want a grille or something behind it.

All these freagin decisions.

Dixit
Old 03-03-2003, 05:44 PM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Where is Alabama do you live? I live in Birmingham and go to UA. I might see you one day.
Old 03-03-2003, 06:10 PM

Originally posted by wildmanal
Where is Alabama do you live? I live in Birmingham and go to UA. I might see you one day.
Not a chance!@! Unless you swing my DC! Tags are Bama tags.

Quick Reply: Turbo Maxima VIDEO complete with more shots