5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Body Kit and painting

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2003, 10:11 AM
BiggD23

Body Kit and painting

What's up all?! I'm new to maxima.org...just bought a 2000 Maxima SE. I've spent the past few days drooling over pictures and posts just looking at things that I eventually want to do to the car. Here's the question...I know that I want to put the Stillen body kit on. Would everyone recommend painting just the kit or getting the entire car repainted when the kit is put on? My car is white if that makes a difference. Anyone have any experience and advice? Thanks!

Old 03-06-2003, 12:38 PM

Re: Body Kit and painting

Originally posted by BiggD23
What's up all?! I'm new to maxima.org...just bought a 2000 Maxima SE. I've spent the past few days drooling over pictures and posts just looking at things that I eventually want to do to the car. Here's the question...I know that I want to put the Stillen body kit on. Would everyone recommend painting just the kit or getting the entire car repainted when the kit is put on? My car is white if that makes a difference. Anyone have any experience and advice? Thanks!
hey mann, welcome to the org.....since the kit is just lips, it wouldnt really make sense to paint the whole car so just have the lips painted...
but may you be forewarned, maxima white is the hardest paint to match, you can check my homepage, i had a stillen touring kit and although it was really close, the paint didnt match 100%...if you look at any WHITE max w/ aftermarket kit, the paint usually doesnt match, if it does, lucky him/her
holla
Old 03-06-2003, 12:40 PM

Re: Re: Body Kit and painting

I have also heard nightmares about the kits being warped. Proper install/painting is not cheap either.
Old 03-06-2003, 01:02 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

yeah i have a white max w/ stillen kit....it's not 100% matching w/ body of car but its pretty damn close
Old 03-06-2003, 01:03 PM
BiggD23

Thanks for the response MaxedOut2g. Actually, your car looks pretty phat to me. The color doesn't match? Someone else also told me that the white was the hardest color to match . That's why I was thinking to do it right I might need to paint the whole car. I see you got the clear sidemarkers too. I want to do that first but I heard the back ones are REALLY hard to put on. Did you do them yourself?

Old 03-06-2003, 01:52 PM
Old Fuddy Duddy

... I see you got the clear sidemarkers too. I want to do that first but I heard the back ones are REALLY hard to put on. Did you do them yourself?
Not hard, its just easy to mare your paint if you mess it up. It uses a "pry" technique that if you mess up leaves a "lasting impression" in you bumper.

My best piece of advice is to insert the screwdriver carefully straight in (90 degrees to the edge of the reflector) and then LATERALLY "push" it. I have yet to mess mine up this way.
Old 03-06-2003, 10:01 PM

With lips involved, you have to blend the lip with the bumper in order to get a custom looking job... No one wants a two tone color on the front bumper or back, looks tacky... and after awhile, you'll get mad and want to repaint again, so money becomes an issue...

Find a good, I mean good and honest bodyshop, and have them paint the lip on the front bumper and mold the lip into the bumper to get all the linings out and have them blend the paint in... Oh shoot, i just told you what I want to do with my kit... Oh well, spread the wealth... Blend the paint and mold the linings between the lip and the bumper to get that real custom look...
Old 03-07-2003, 09:07 AM

Originally posted by 02'maxed-out
With lips involved, you have to blend the lip with the bumper in order to get a custom looking job... No one wants a two tone color on the front bumper or back, looks tacky... and after awhile, you'll get mad and want to repaint again, so money becomes an issue...

Find a good, I mean good and honest bodyshop, and have them paint the lip on the front bumper and mold the lip into the bumper to get all the linings out and have them blend the paint in... Oh shoot, i just told you what I want to do with my kit... Oh well, spread the wealth... Blend the paint and mold the linings between the lip and the bumper to get that real custom look...
I am little concerned since I am getting the AE kit for my white maxima. I wonder how noticeable it will be?
Old 03-07-2003, 09:12 AM

Originally posted by naerok

I am little concerned since I am getting the AE kit for my white maxima. I wonder how noticeable it will be?
The AE factory kit comes painted in the color you choose to match your car, unless you're getting one used and it's a different color. Then it'll just be painting a regular plastic part. The AE factory kit is plastic.
Old 03-07-2003, 09:13 AM

Originally posted by young1976

The AE factory kit comes painted in the color you choose to match your car, unless you're getting one used and it's a different color. Then it'll just be painting a regular plastic part. The AE factory kit is plastic.
I am getting it used from this guy from this org. I do have this bodyshop that i trust so hopefully they will do a good job. Plastic doesnt sound good to me for some reason....
Old 03-08-2003, 08:03 AM

What's up guys! I just got my 2000 max two weeks ago and was thinking about putting on the stillen aero kit on her. How much should I expect to pay for the paint and installation?
Old 03-08-2003, 11:48 AM

Thanks for the response MaxedOut2g. Actually, your car looks pretty phat to me. The color doesn't match? Someone else also told me that the white was the hardest color to match . That's why I was thinking to do it right I might need to paint the whole car. I see you got the clear sidemarkers too. I want to do that first but I heard the back ones are REALLY hard to put on. Did you do them yourself?
I agree with MaxedOut2g. I think any other colored Maximas, besides white, blend in more with the kit. As for the clear cornors, for me the fronts were harder to take out than the rears. good luck
Old 03-08-2003, 02:33 PM

Sterling Mist. Check sig.
just get kit painted.

STILLEN Aero-Kit = 600
Custom Painted Tails = 150
Driving around like a 'BILLY BADA$$' = priceless
Old 03-08-2003, 03:37 PM

i believe having the car repainted is worth it
Old 03-09-2003, 11:12 PM

But just remember, once you repaint a car, the resale takes a big hit.... And trust me, appraisers know an original paint from a secondary coat...