5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Frankencar: k/n or apexi...??

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2003, 10:42 PM
SoloMaxima

Frankencar: k/n or apexi...??

i'm thinking of buying a frankencar intake with the midpipe and i can't decide which intake i should get....the k/n or the apexi....
does anyone know which one is better..??

Old 03-07-2003, 10:59 PM

Re: Frankencar: k/n or apexi...??

Originally posted by SoloMaxima
i'm thinking of buying a frankencar intake with the midpipe and i can't decide which intake i should get....the k/n or the apexi....
does anyone know which one is better..??
Stick with the K&N filter.
Old 03-07-2003, 11:25 PM

apexi~! its just a better filter, and you dont have to clean it all the time....i have a stillen and this is the 3rd time i have to clean it since 10k miles, DAM construction by skewl...ugh~

look up filter tests, not on the org. but the net
apex usuall turns up to be one of the best filtering and produces the least amount of pressure(better flowing)
Old 03-07-2003, 11:28 PM

Originally posted by AzNx2k2xSEXima
apexi~! its just a better filter, and you dont have to clean it all the time....i have a stillen and this is the 3rd time i have to clean it since 10k miles, DAM construction by skewl...ugh~

look up filter tests, not on the org. but the net
apex usuall turns up to be one of the best filtering and produces the least amount of pressure(better flowing)
Yeah but some members that have switched to the APEXi filter had a higher rate of blowing their MAFS over the K&N. Ask emax and chinaonnitrous or do a search.
Old 03-07-2003, 11:56 PM

Originally posted by clipse

Yeah but some members that have switched to the APEXi filter had a higher rate of blowing their MAFS over the K&N. Ask emax and chinaonnitrous or do a search.
Simply not true. I switched and I'm still fine. I personally think the MAFS are blowing because of the coupler that attaches to the intake manifold. I'm going to be switching to the OEM rubber accordian in hopes that it will allow the whole FrankenCar assembly to not move as much when load is put on the engine. There is just too much movement. It loosened my nut and bolt for the MAF assembly. I personally like the Apexi filter better. It without a doubt filters better and it's construction makes the K&N looks cheap.
Old 03-08-2003, 12:00 AM

hey....those w/ apexi, did you guys need an adapter to connect the filter to the MAF???
Old 03-08-2003, 12:05 AM
L33t BMW Drivah

Yes , you need an adapter
Old 03-08-2003, 12:25 AM
SoloMaxima

when you buy the frankencar intake w/ the apexi....is everything included..??..like is everything included so that you don't have to purchase any other adapters so you can install it..??
it includes the midpipe right..??

Old 03-08-2003, 12:31 AM

when you buy the frankencar intake w/ the apexi....is everything included..??..like is everything included so that you don't have to purchase any other adapters so you can install it..??
it includes the midpipe right..??
FrankenCar Intake with APEXi filter includes:
-Mid-pipe
-Silicone Couplers
-T-Bolt Style Hose Clamps
-APEXi Air Filter
-Support Bracket
-Decals
-Instructions
-Steve's Business Card
Old 03-08-2003, 07:44 AM

-Mid-pipe
-Silicone Couplers
-APEXi Air Filter
-Support Bracket
-Decals
-Instructions
-Steve's Business Card
I can't believe I go a FrankenCar sticker and 2 of Steve's business cards for free. What a country!
Old 03-08-2003, 09:18 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by Virus

Simply not true. I switched and I'm still fine. I personally think the MAFS are blowing because of the coupler that attaches to the intake manifold. I'm going to be switching to the OEM rubber accordian in hopes that it will allow the whole FrankenCar assembly to not move as much when load is put on the engine.
I agree! I am doing the exact thing.
Old 03-08-2003, 12:51 PM

Well I did this this afternoon. I screwed up. Not to self: Don't over tighten support bracket to strut tower. Needless to say, I broke the head off the screw and had to revert back to the original coupling until I can design another support bracket. PVICK on altimas.net did this very thing, which is where I got the idea from. Both good and bad.

Good: It absolutely transfers none of the engine vibration and there is way less stress on the support bracket during hard exceleration. The flex tubing bends, not the intake. My Apexi filter has been rubbing up against the aluminum metal piece that is attached to the strut tower and is really making a grove in the filter plastic.

Bad: Since the flex tubing is of course flexible, it's not sturdy. This will put all of the weight of the intake on the support bracket at all times. I'm not sure it the design of the FrankenCar bracket will suffice. I'll never know because I have no idea how to get the broken bolt out

Indifferent: Another thing I'm not sure about is that the OEM flexible coupling is much larger than the FrankenCar midpipe. It does tighten down with the FrankenCar fasteners pretty good, but since I broke the bolt off, I didn't have a chance to listen for leaks.
Old 03-09-2003, 02:48 PM
SoloMaxima

-Mid-pipe
-Silicone Couplers
-APEXi Air Filter
-Support Bracket
-Decals
-Instructions
-Steve's Business Card
does it come with the maf adapters..??

Old 03-09-2003, 03:49 PM

Update. You can't use the stock accordian for the Maxima. It is way bigger than the FrankenCar midpipe. The Altima fits perfect I'm gonna see how much they are tomorrow.
Old 03-09-2003, 09:14 PM

does it come with the maf adapters..??
Yes, Billet Aluminum MAF Adapters. Check out:*FrankenCar Performance* for any additional info that you made need.
Old 03-10-2003, 07:12 AM

Virus, update us with the status when you get a chance. I don't want to buy the Frankencar and go through all the problems some people have been having.
Old 03-10-2003, 08:30 AM

Yeah, I'll keep you updated. They want $46 for the rubber coupling. I'm gonna try JRNISSAN, but I'm not gonna pay over $15-20 for the hose!
Old 03-10-2003, 12:41 PM

Virus- I did the same thing, by using a longer screw into the support bracket than I should have. The solution is to use a drill w/ a small bit, and drill out the screw. Then find a screw that fits and use that. Worked for me.

Neal

Originally posted by Virus
Well I did this this afternoon. I screwed up. Not to self: Don't over tighten support bracket to strut tower. Needless to say, I broke the head off the screw and had to revert back to the original coupling until I can design another support bracket. PVICK on altimas.net did this very thing, which is where I got the idea from. Both good and bad.

Good: It absolutely transfers none of the engine vibration and there is way less stress on the support bracket during hard exceleration. The flex tubing bends, not the intake. My Apexi filter has been rubbing up against the aluminum metal piece that is attached to the strut tower and is really making a grove in the filter plastic.

Bad: Since the flex tubing is of course flexible, it's not sturdy. This will put all of the weight of the intake on the support bracket at all times. I'm not sure it the design of the FrankenCar bracket will suffice. I'll never know because I have no idea how to get the broken bolt out

Indifferent: Another thing I'm not sure about is that the OEM flexible coupling is much larger than the FrankenCar midpipe. It does tighten down with the FrankenCar fasteners pretty good, but since I broke the bolt off, I didn't have a chance to listen for leaks.