5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

2003 Nissan Maxima Bose System

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2003, 10:16 AM

2003 Nissan Maxima Bose System

Just got my new max last week. I made a big mistake buying the BOSE system. The subwoofer vibrates and the sound is crappy. Anyone have an ide how to set this up properly? I've tried everything. Sometimes I'll be listening to a station that is in stereo, only to hear it in mono sound. I constantly have to adjust the bass and trebel becuase the sub vibrates...Help?
Old 03-10-2003, 03:01 PM
92 SE-R 02 SE

get a Infinity Basslink, dump the crappy stock sub, and enjoy. I didnt want the bose, i knew it sucked, but the only car avail had all opts....

good luck...mostguys LOVE the basslink.. do a search and you will see

Old 03-10-2003, 04:36 PM

I set the bass at +0 and the treb at +5, but I agree - for a supposed premium system, it's not fantastic.
Old 03-10-2003, 05:15 PM

Re: 2003 Nissan Maxima Bose System

I think I may get the Infinity Basslink. I read up on it and it sounds like a good idea. The only problem is I have no idea who around where I live (Freehold, NJ) can install it???
Old 03-10-2003, 05:19 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: Re: 2003 Nissan Maxima Bose System

Originally posted by kriese515
I think I may get the Infinity Basslink. I read up on it and it sounds like a good idea. The only problem is I have no idea who around where I live (Freehold, NJ) can install it???
PM Don, Pearl96Max
Old 03-10-2003, 05:37 PM

Order your equiptment and have it installed by Don Pearl96Max. He's awesome. I drove all the way up from Virginia to have him install my system.
Old 03-10-2003, 05:48 PM

thanks guys. I think I may go with the basslink
Old 03-10-2003, 05:59 PM

Don Pearl96Max

How can I get in touch with Don Pearl96Max? Where is he located?
Old 03-10-2003, 06:34 PM

THe system definitely has no *****, but my sub has never vibrated and I have the bass and trebel cranked to +5. I can turn the volume all the way up and not get any vibration, so I suspect something must be wrong?

Still, that doesn't take away from the fact that it is definitely under-powered, for some tastes.
Old 03-10-2003, 07:48 PM

Check out the FAQs or do a "search" (if you are one of the chosen-ones) and look for REAR DECK RATTLE FIX

There are many ways to get rid of the annoying vibrations - most of them involve popping off the rear deck piece & placing some kind of insulation between the deck & trim piece.

G
Old 03-14-2003, 08:56 AM

Basslink

Guys. Thanks for all your help. I had Circuit City install a basslink (got it on eay for $186.95 + 23 s/h). I purchased the 8 gauge Monster cables and RCA input. SOunds Awesome. Exactly the level of bass I wanted. Now, i may even start to like the Bose.
Old 03-14-2003, 09:17 AM

Re: Basslink

Guys. Thanks for all your help. I had Circuit City install a basslink (got it on eay for $186.95 + 23 s/h). I purchased the 8 gauge Monster cables and RCA input. SOunds Awesome. Exactly the level of bass I wanted. Now, i may even start to like the Bose.
Do you have to get a line out converter to use the basslink? The bose doesn't have RCA inputs....
Old 03-17-2003, 09:38 AM

bump
Old 03-17-2003, 10:54 AM

Re: Re: Basslink

Originally posted by pjonkheer

Do you have to get a line out converter to use the basslink? The bose doesn't have RCA inputs....
Not sure. Not an install expert. Maybe someone on the site can reply. Sorry am not that helpful.
Old 03-17-2003, 12:38 PM

Did the Basslink give a significant increase to the overall volume as well??
Old 03-17-2003, 12:45 PM

Guys. I had Circuit City install a basslink (got it on eay for $186.95 + 23 s/h). I purchased the 8 gauge Monster cables and RCA input. SOunds Awesome. Exactly the level of bass I wanted. Now, i may even start to like the Bose.
Quick question: who was the seller of the Basslink you purchased on eBay?? Was the transaction smooth, or did you experience difficulties?? I see a few Basslink auctions and would like to upgrade my sound system. Is this the same as the one you purchased??? How much did Circuit City charge you to install it???

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...category=32822
Old 03-17-2003, 01:02 PM

Originally posted by VMosser323

Quick question: who was the seller of the Basslink you purchased on eBay?? Was the transaction smooth, or did you experience difficulties?? I see a few Basslink auctions and would like to upgrade my sound system. Is this the same as the one you purchased??? How much did Circuit City charge you to install it???

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...category=32822
Ebay Purchase of Basslink:

- Go to this guy: http://www.stores.ebay.com/id=37723882. or
- http://www.ezorderusa.com/cgi-bin/ezostore.cgi

- I don't see any more of "his" basslinks for sale on Ebay. But I bought mine from him for about $186.95 plus $23 for shipping. Maybe if you call him, he'll do the same deal. I got the basslink in a day (of course he's in NY and I'm in NJ).

- I would buy from again definately!

Circuit City Installation:

- $70 to install the basslink.
- Plus additional $30 to attach the basslink to a piece of pressed board that they nicely covered with (just about) the same carpet material used in the trunk (They screwed the board vertically on the left hand side of the trunk and then attached basslink to the board). This way, they had a good tight base to screw the basslink into (without going into the floor).
- I was very happy and suprised by the guys that did it. They were pros!
Old 03-17-2003, 01:08 PM

Did the Basslink give a significant increase to the overall volume as well??
None really. Just better bass and deeper sound.
Old 03-17-2003, 02:48 PM

Re: Re: Re: Basslink

What is with basslink? I have heard people talk of it before, if I dont want subs and just upgraded speakers in the car and a 4 way amp to power the door speakers, what kind of speakers should I go with and what kind of an amp? Also what is the basslink used to upgrade? I just want some nice *** speakers with crisp sound and some reasonable bass out of the speakers. Thanks

Sterling
Old 03-17-2003, 05:54 PM
vqman

Re: Re: Re: Re: Basslink

Originally posted by Sterling
What is with basslink? I have heard people talk of it before, if I dont want subs and just upgraded speakers in the car and a 4 way amp to power the door speakers, what kind of speakers should I go with and what kind of an amp? Also what is the basslink used to upgrade? I just want some nice *** speakers with crisp sound and some reasonable bass out of the speakers. Thanks

Sterling
bump, yeah what he said...

is "basslink" an amp? a different speaker? what is it?

I would like to replace all speakers...but don't want to replace the amps or head unit. I hear the tweeters are regular 4ohm, but what about the rest of the speakers? 1 ohm? 8 ohm? I don't know...audio/electronics folk didn't know...I'm not a "chosen one" either.

-vq

Old 03-17-2003, 07:10 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Basslink

Originally posted by VQMAN

bump, yeah what he said...

is "basslink" an amp? a different speaker? what is it?

I would like to replace all speakers...but don't want to replace the amps or head unit. I hear the tweeters are regular 4ohm, but what about the rest of the speakers? 1 ohm? 8 ohm? I don't know...audio/electronics folk didn't know...I'm not a "chosen one" either.

-vq

Hey VQ,

Basslink is a 10" sub, 10" passive radiator (not sure what this is), and a 200 Watt amp all rolled into one unit that takes up like .75 cu feet of space...

It's tiny, easy to hookup, and kicks the crap out of the bose sub, and I now totally love the system in my car.

Basslink is the best investment I've made, and I absolutely love it.

Oh, and my basslink is connected using speaker level inputs, using special connectors to tap into the + and - going from the stock sub amp to the sub itself (amp is mounted in the black plastic basket screwed onto the bottom of the sub). This makes it so I can't remove the stock sub without rewiring, but I don't have to. Sound comes through, and I turned the Bass level on the Head Unit to -2, and turned the basslink up. The basslink is affected by the volume and the bass setting, as well as it's own controls. Better off tuning on the sub and/or remote level control.

- Seth
Old 03-17-2003, 08:28 PM
Wat

I dont know what you were expecting from the bose sub....It's tiny and not high powered. For a stock system, its f.... great. Almost on par with my fathers mercedes. Now, if you want earth shakin bass, go ahead and add a subwoofer of your choice to your system.
Old 03-17-2003, 08:32 PM
Wat

I dont know what you were expecting from the bose sub....It's tiny and not high powered. For a stock system, its f.... great. Almost on par with my fathers mercedes. Now, if you want earth shakin bass, go ahead and add a subwoofer of your choice to your system. Another thing the system wasnt designed for is to have the bass turned all the way up. The proper way to do it is set the bass at 0 and let the volume create the bass. I used to do MBquart speaker competition, and they are very close to bose (just better ;-) ) and that is the way you get good bass out of it. If you turn the volume up to 31 with the bass set at 0, you will get much better sounding bass than if you turn it all the way up, cause the system caps the amount of bass frequencies much earlier if you do.
Old 03-17-2003, 09:34 PM

Re: Re: 2003 Nissan Maxima Bose System

I don't see why everyone harps on the Bose, I mean there's better, but i think it sounds good. No one's gotten in my car and said "dayum, this sounds like crap".
Old 03-17-2003, 10:07 PM
Wat

Re: Re: Re: 2003 Nissan Maxima Bose System

Originally posted by ClayKY
I don't see why everyone harps on the Bose, I mean there's better, but i think it sounds good. No one's gotten in my car and said "dayum, this sounds like crap".
This is what im talkin bout
Old 03-18-2003, 04:13 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: 2003 Nissan Maxima Bose System

Originally posted by E55AMG2

This is what im talkin bout
Let me give my $.02...

<soapbox>

I am very upset that I was 'suckered' into buying a $1100 optional Bose Premium System to get other options that I wanted. I personally hate that options that have nothing to do with eachother are linked like that.

$1100 for a Premium system...I would expect it to sound like it cost that much. I wish I could compare it to the stock sound system to see the difference.

But basically, I found that the Bose system was ok for everything except lows. That "subwoofer" is a poor excuse for one...I don't know what Bose was thinking when they used that speaker (or slapped their name on that speaker, whatever the case is). Subs are powered by magnets. This thing has such a weak magnet, that I wasn't even sure it was actually magnetic, (barely pulled the butter knife I was using to pry up grill on the back deck when I touched them together).

If I had known in advance, and not wanted the other options, I never would have spent the money on a factory system, and instead would have gotten a MUCH better sounding system aftermarket for a fraction of the cost.

I think the Bose Premium System sucks. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, and that is mine. It's decent for a stock system, but it is supposed to be a Premium system and worth the $1100 it costs.

</soapbox>

Thanks for listening,

- Seth
Old 03-18-2003, 04:23 PM

yup definetly get a new system...Bose sucks *** its a POFS thats all there is to say
Old 03-18-2003, 05:50 PM

Re: Re: Re: 2003 Nissan Maxima Bose System

I agree. I know $1100 is a lot of money, but think about it. The Bose system was designed for a FAMILY type car, not a racer car. So, the target audience was mostly people with families who don't need a slammin' sound system. I think it sounds pretty good considering it's factory installed, hidden, and comes with a 3 year warranty including parts and labor. Tell me where else you can find all of this for $1100?

No matter how much money one spends on a upgraded factory sound system, if you're looking for slammin' bass, you will NEVER be happy enough unless you upgrade.

Just my .02
Old 03-19-2003, 06:27 AM
vqman

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Basslink

Originally posted by formas

Hey VQ,

Basslink is a 10" sub, 10" passive radiator (not sure what this is), and a 200 Watt amp all rolled into one unit that takes up like .75 cu feet of space...

It's tiny, easy to hookup, and kicks the crap out of the bose sub, and I now totally love the system in my car.

Basslink is the best investment I've made, and I absolutely love it.

Oh, and my basslink is connected using speaker level inputs, using special connectors to tap into the + and - going from the stock sub amp to the sub itself (amp is mounted in the black plastic basket screwed onto the bottom of the sub). This makes it so I can't remove the stock sub without rewiring, but I don't have to. Sound comes through, and I turned the Bass level on the Head Unit to -2, and turned the basslink up. The basslink is affected by the volume and the bass setting, as well as it's own controls. Better off tuning on the sub and/or remote level control.

- Seth
thanks

so let me get this straight...
the wires I would use to power this are
the + & - wires coming off the amp to the sub...

and I just remove those wires from the sub, and hook them up to the basslink...right?

-vq

Old 03-19-2003, 06:36 AM
vqman

my .02

Originally posted by maximilion

I agree. I know $1100 is a lot of money, but think about it. The Bose system was designed for a FAMILY type car, not a racer car. So, the target audience was mostly people with families who don't need a slammin' sound system. I think it sounds pretty good considering it's factory installed, hidden, and comes with a 3 year warranty including parts and labor. Tell me where else you can find all of this for $1100?

No matter how much money one spends on a upgraded factory sound system, if you're looking for slammin' bass, you will NEVER be happy enough unless you upgrade.

Just my .02
I've had aftermarket systems in every car but my last 2 Maximas...

never did I have "slammin bass" I just had crystal clear mids and highs, and tight Bass...

The Bose system is a waste of money for $1100...

anyone that is "satisfied" with the BOSE system, would also be satisfied with the base GXE system and a BOSE sticker to give them the placebo affect...the system doesn't sound good in any way shape or form.

The only reason I got the BOSE system, is because with the TE and Leather etc...i had no other choice. I would have been happy with standard system, and upgrading it. and the standard system isn't much worse than BOSE...and at least you don't get your hopes up with the standard system. Because with the BOSE system, it's all a big let down when you want to listen to some good tunes.

-vq

Old 03-19-2003, 07:51 AM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Basslink

[i]

-vq [/B]
So my question is this:

I want to replace my Bose sub with a Basslink. The Basslink has its own amp, so I don't have to worry about it. What are the best speakers to replace the door Bose speakers with. I want to KEEP the Bose HU. Should I run an amp for the upgraded door speakers?? Will this be of any benefit.

I'm asking so many questions because I'm one of the worse people when discussing car audio...
Old 03-19-2003, 07:59 AM
vqman

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Basslink

So my question is this:

I want to replace my Bose sub with a Basslink. The Basslink has its own amp, so I don't have to worry about it. What are the best speakers to replace the door Bose speakers with. I want to KEEP the Bose HU. Should I run an amp for the upgraded door speakers?? Will this be of any benefit.

I'm asking so many questions because I'm one of the worse people when discussing car audio...
me too....

bump

-vq

Old 03-19-2003, 09:33 AM

Re: my .02

Because with the BOSE system, it's all a big let down when you want to listen to some good tunes.

-vq

That's why Baskin-Robbins makes 31 flavors.
Old 03-19-2003, 09:50 AM
Wat

Re: Re: my .02

That's why Baskin-Robbins makes 31 flavors.

Old 03-19-2003, 10:03 AM

dumb question: where is the bose sub located?? that crap is coming out ASAP..

in goes 2 10s and a 400watt amp
Old 03-19-2003, 10:06 AM

Originally posted by maxcosity
dumb question: where is the bose sub located?? that crap is coming out ASAP..

in goes 2 10s and a 400watt amp
On the rear deck, under the big grill with the Bose thing on it.
Old 03-19-2003, 10:09 AM

Re: my .02

I've had aftermarket systems in every car but my last 2 Maximas...

never did I have "slammin bass" I just had crystal clear mids and highs, and tight Bass...

The Bose system is a waste of money for $1100...

anyone that is "satisfied" with the BOSE system, would also be satisfied with the base GXE system and a BOSE sticker to give them the placebo affect...the system doesn't sound good in any way shape or form.

The only reason I got the BOSE system, is because with the TE and Leather etc...i had no other choice. I would have been happy with standard system, and upgrading it. and the standard system isn't much worse than BOSE...and at least you don't get your hopes up with the standard system. Because with the BOSE system, it's all a big let down when you want to listen to some good tunes.

-vq
I never said it was better than the non-bose setup, I never heard it before. I've also have aftermarket systems in all my previous cars. I'm just saying that it sounds OK for a stock system. I was not expecting it to sound like an aftermarket system and whoever is expecting it to is asking too much of it.

Bottom line: For a stock system it sounds OK, but compared to an aftermarket system, it sounds like crud.
Old 03-19-2003, 10:27 AM

On the rear deck, under the big grill with the Bose thing on it.
Ahh I was wondering what that thing was.. where's the amp?
Old 03-19-2003, 10:35 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by maxcosity

Ahh I was wondering what that thing was.. where's the amp?
Right under the sub in the trunk.
Old 03-19-2003, 10:37 AM
vqman

Re: Re: my .02

Bottom line: For a stock system it sounds OK, but compared to an aftermarket system, it sounds like crud.

zactly!

-vq

Quick Reply: 2003 Nissan Maxima Bose System