5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

ignition coil warranty. HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2003, 11:53 AM

ignition coil warranty. HELP!

as some of you might know that I just replaced my ignition coil today and the dealer charged me an arm and a leg for it.
Some ppl said that it's covered under 60k warranty, and I just called Nissan and the lady called two nissan dealer and both of them said it's covered unker 36k warranty only.

So if you have done it under warranty AFTER the 36k warranty and still have the paper work for it. Please let me know.

Thanks
Old 03-11-2003, 12:10 PM

Re: ignition coil warranty. HELP!

Originally posted by Max2000
as some of you might know that I just replaced my ignition coil today and the dealer charged me an arm and a leg for it.
Some ppl said that it's covered under 60k warranty, and I just called Nissan and the lady called two nissan dealer and both of them said it's covered unker 36k warranty only.

So if you have done it under warranty AFTER the 36k warranty and still have the paper work for it. Please let me know.

Thanks

At ANY mileage, if there's a TSB out on a part, they should do something about covering at least part of the cost. Did they replace just one coil, or all 6? I've got the TSB if you want it - just PM me with an e-mail address.

In any event, I'd raise hell with Nissan and the dealer, if only about the ridiculous amount of money they (over)charged you. If they really charged you $600 for a $50 part that takes 15 minutes to replace, I'd drag them into small claims court, AND I'd make sure the local newspaper knew about it, too.
Old 03-11-2003, 02:31 PM

They did replace all 6... I looks through the TSB and no where in there says replace all six if only one fail... I call the dealer again and they told me that's what the TSB says... Told them that it's not true, cuz the TSB in front of me says different. He said that he will have the service manager call me back tomorrow.

BTW.. our wonderful Nissan headquarter told me that my warranty is now VOID because I have NOT done REGULAR service with Nissan (yes, I change my own oil). I am really loosing my faith in Nissan.

We will see what the service managers have to say about it tomorrow.
Old 03-11-2003, 02:34 PM
OT n00bs FTMFCSL

They did replace all 6... I looks through the TSB and no where in there says replace all six if only one fail... I call the dealer again and they told me that's what the TSB says... Told them that it's not true, cuz the TSB in front of me says different. He said that he will have the service manager call me back tomorrow.

BTW.. our wonderful Nissan headquarter told me that my warranty is now VOID because I have NOT done REGULAR service with Nissan (yes, I change my own oil). I am really loosing my faith in Nissan.

We will see what the service managers have to say about it tomorrow.
Tell them they are full of ****, because it is illegal for them to void your warranty for you changing your own oil UNLESS they provide the oil and the filter free of charge.
Old 03-11-2003, 02:40 PM
The silent but deadly Moderator

its always a good idea to save something, like a receipt that you bought the oil or filters.. in my case, I have a ton of receipts from Nissan for the oil filters. No, they can't void your warranty in general for this and you need to follow up on this because if they add to your file, youre screwed.

If you had sludge and your oil pump failed, they could choose not to cover *that* repair. That is ALL they can do.

Abuse, racing and accidents are another story.
Old 03-11-2003, 02:45 PM
OT n00bs FTMFCSL

Is anyone else getting tired of the total lack of service and intelligent advice that most of the Nissan dealers are giving? What the hell is up with them the past couple of years? Even if you have everything in order, had a TSB printed out and handed a copy to them, they try to find a way to do as little as possible while still screwing people over. Man, great cars, and abdismal service. What a combination for running a successful business...
Old 03-11-2003, 02:46 PM

also, look at your mx schedule, its mostly *inspect* until 60K-100K.

So, ummmm, what are they saying you didnt look at?
Old 03-11-2003, 03:36 PM

I just got home from nissan. i have the same problem with my ignition coils. They told me the samething, the warranty is covered under 36k miles and i need to replace all 6 coils since if i just replace one, others might die out as well.

I'm running at 43k miles btw. This is ridiculous~!! I mean they were going to charge me total of $700.(hell no~ i didn't let them do it~). i had a talk with the service manager and told him, many people are having the same problem and nissan should do something about this. And all he said was he can't do anything about it.

So, i just took my car back and got out. Only solution i have for a moment is i'm going to just buy the parts and have someone help me replace them(i goto lincoln tech btw, but haven't learned iginition system just yet). anybody replaced coils themselves?? how hard was it?
Old 03-11-2003, 03:38 PM
OT n00bs FTMFCSL

Originally posted by [TYPE]SS
I just got home from nissan. i have the same problem with my ignition coils. They told me the samething, the warranty is covered under 36k miles and i need to replace all 6 coils since if i just replace one, others might die out as well. I'm running at 43k miles btw. This is ridiculous~!! I mean they were going to charge me total of $700.(hell no~ i didn't let them do it~). i had a talk with the service manager and told him, many people are having the same problem and nissan should do something about this. And all he said was he can't do anything about it. So, i just took my car back and got out. Only solution i have for a moment is i'm going to just buy the parts and have someone help me replace them(i goto lincoln tech btw, but haven't learned iginition system just yet). anybody replaced coils themselves?? how hard was it?
Print the TSB, show them your 60K powertrain warranty, and tell them to replace the stuff or else
Old 03-11-2003, 03:47 PM

I understand there is a TSB out and i've seen it regarding ignition coil. So does that mean the dealer where i bought my car from, *MUST* repair them? i mean, what's a TSB anyways?
Old 03-11-2003, 03:47 PM
I'm needing a caw

Man, I have to agree, Nissan service just sucks. It's amazing how eagerly want to replace ALL the coils when the car is out or warranty. I wonder how many they would replace if it was under warranty?

I really doesn't make sense. Nissan techs are equipped w/ the lastest diagnostics equipments. The Consult should EASILY determine which coil is not firing at the right power. They should at the very least find which one is bad, offer to replace that single one and THEN tell you that they "recommend" that all should be changed. Just plain, greediness + ignorance with a big load of laziness for good measure.

If you suspect one coil is bad, you should be able to safely disconnect the SIGNAL wire to the coil and note how the car runs. If it runs WORSE that coil is okay. If it runs the SAME, that coild is probably bad. Crappy thing is that some of these problems only appear under load. And it's not like you can be in the engine bay while the car is moving!

Good luck
Old 03-11-2003, 04:05 PM

Originally posted by Jeff92se
Man, I have to agree, Nissan service just sucks. It's amazing how eagerly want to replace ALL the coils when the car is out or warranty. I wonder how many they would replace if it was under warranty?

I had to fight with my dealer to get the one bad one replaced under the TSB at 32K miles. I've heard of dealers replacing them all, but this place wanted no part of that. Of course, this was after I threw the brake TSB in their face when they refused to replace my pads as part of the rotor job.

My car has seen that dealer for the last time. I wonder if I'll hear from them once Nissan gets my response to the service visit survey?

Type[SS], a TSB is a Technical Service Bulletin. For all intents and purposes, it's a recall that owners don't get notified about. If the car comes in with the problem described in the TSB, they're supposed to warranty the repair. In most cases, the owner has no clue, and gets hosed for the cost of the job (like a $700 coil job). You can buy all 6 coils for about $250. They're easier to replace than the spark plugs.
Old 03-11-2003, 04:14 PM

mocomax~
i have pmed you earlier. can you please send the TSB to sskrnguy@hotmail.com. thanx

For one thing, they did tell me it's a 1 single coil for the 5th cylinder. i'm going back with the TSB Printed out tomorrow. If they refuse to repair it, i'll just get that 1 coil and replace them myself and will never go back to that dealership again.
thanx guys
Old 03-11-2003, 04:32 PM

the new coils are a new part number and appearently a revised design. I know it hurts to replace them all, but I do suspect you will be replacing them all soon enough. If you can afford it and plan to own the car awhile longer, you might as well do them all - the rest will be failing. Thing is, most of the time you will not throw a code at all.. You will have problems and no clue where it is.

Nissan isnt arguing on doing all the coils, I dont know why the dealer would even be concerned. You should call Nissan NA and ask them to approve all 6 (if under warranty). If not, call Dave B. It takes 30 mins with an allen wrench and 10mm socket, not worth $300 labor.
Old 03-11-2003, 06:34 PM

First of all, don't get me wrong, I am not siding with Nissan, but a TSB is NOT a recall that owners are not notified of.
TSB are NOT recall at all, they are in fact for the techs working on the cars. If Nissan starts to see a reoccurring problem with a certain item they will issue a TSB the dealers to help the techs diag the probelm and fix it. Just b/c you have printed out a TSB doesn't mean the dealer has to fix it. I agree that if one coil goes bad they should beable to tell you which one and replace just the one, and suggest all if there has been a part # change. Believe me I run into this problem with TSB everyday. Many people blame the dealer for too many things and dont understand that the dealerships can only do what the manufacturer will allow them to do. I mean someone has to pay for it and if the dealer cant get paid from the manufacturer why should they have to pay for it. I know I am going to get flamed for this but its just my 2 cents worth
Old 03-11-2003, 07:14 PM

Originally posted by Mikes2K2SE
First of all, don't get me wrong, I am not siding with Nissan, but a TSB is NOT a recall that owners are not notified of.
TSB are NOT recall at all, they are in fact for the techs working on the cars. If Nissan starts to see a reoccurring problem with a certain item they will issue a TSB the dealers to help the techs diag the probelm and fix it. Just b/c you have printed out a TSB doesn't mean the dealer has to fix it. I agree that if one coil goes bad they should beable to tell you which one and replace just the one, and suggest all if there has been a part # change. Believe me I run into this problem with TSB everyday. Many people blame the dealer for too many things and dont understand that the dealerships can only do what the manufacturer will allow them to do. I mean someone has to pay for it and if the dealer cant get paid from the manufacturer why should they have to pay for it. I know I am going to get flamed for this but its just my 2 cents worth

And you should get flamed. Every TSB that I've seen includes the proper method of fixing the problem AND the warranty claim code for the dealer to get reimbursed by the factory. Your suggestion that the dealers have to eat the cost of TSB's is pure horsesh*t.

When I bring my car into a dealer with a problem that Nissan has issued a TSB on, I damn well expect the dealer to honor it. Hell, any dealer that cares about its customers should LOOK for those problems and fix them when found, whether the customer is aware of them or not.

You're correct in saying that TSB's are not recalls - my comment about that earlier was to explain the concept to someone who was unfamiliar with it. However, a TSB documents a KNOWN problem with a vehicle that doesn't affect safety enough to force a recall. The issue of safety is the only real difference between a TSB and a recall.
Old 03-11-2003, 08:05 PM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Originally posted by MoCoMax
And you should get flamed. Every TSB that I've seen includes the proper method of fixing the problem AND the warranty claim code for the dealer to get reimbursed by the factory. Your suggestion that the dealers have to eat the cost of TSB's is pure horsesh*t.

When I bring my car into a dealer with a problem that Nissan has issued a TSB on, I damn well expect the dealer to honor it. Hell, any dealer that cares about its customers should LOOK for those problems and fix them when found, whether the customer is aware of them or not.

You're correct in saying that TSB's are not recalls - my comment about that earlier was to explain the concept to someone who was unfamiliar with it. However, a TSB documents a KNOWN problem with a vehicle that doesn't affect safety enough to force a recall. The issue of safety is the only real difference between a TSB and a recall.
Well you're right and you're wrong, MoCoMax. You're right in stating that TSBs are not recalls and that they do document KNOWN problems. But you're wrong in asserting that TSBs extend warranty coverage to items that are not specifically covered under your warranty or to warrantied items that are out-of-warranty for whatever reason, typically expiration of the warranty. A recall, on the other hand, DOES extend warranty coverage to the item or items that are the subject of the recall.

Don't believe me? Read your warranty.
Old 03-11-2003, 09:41 PM

well... I am a little calmer now... I understand that the coil is going to fail sooner or later (the other 5 that was still good..) and since I can afford it, so I better change it. but I am pretty ****ed off at Nissan and the dealership. **** off at Nissan cuz they won't do a damn thing about it. and the second black lady (no offense to any african american bro/sis on here) just sounds NASTY on the phone.. she was like.. "well.. your warranty is void cuz you havn't done your service in Nissan". She doesn't even know what TSB is.. I am **** off at the dealer because they don't know jack ****
they didn't even give me an option of just replacing one.. just came in and tells me that I needed all six replace. When I call to argue with them today about it.. they keep trying to tell me that it says on the TSB that to replace all SIX... and I do NOT see it anywhere ont eh TSB says that it need all to be replaced. So they are going to have the service manager call me tomorrow to discuss it with me..

by the way..
my 600 dollar bill came from
80 bucks diagonistic charge
70 bucks per coil
and 80 bucks to replace it.

I know I got ripped off.. that's why I am trying to get some of my money back from them.

ok.. done venting
Old 03-11-2003, 09:45 PM
OT n00bs FTMFCSL

well... I am a little calmer now... I understand that the coil is going to fail sooner or later (the other 5 that was still good..) and since I can afford it, so I better change it. but I am pretty ****ed off at Nissan and the dealership. **** off at Nissan cuz they won't do a damn thing about it. and the second black lady (no offense to any african american bro/sis on here) just sounds NASTY on the phone.. she was like.. "well.. your warranty is void cuz you havn't done your service in Nissan". She doesn't even know what TSB is.. I am **** off at the dealer because they don't know jack ****
they didn't even give me an option of just replacing one.. just came in and tells me that I needed all six replace. When I call to argue with them today about it.. they keep trying to tell me that it says on the TSB that to replace all SIX... and I do NOT see it anywhere ont eh TSB says that it need all to be replaced. So they are going to have the service manager call me tomorrow to discuss it with me..

by the way..
my 600 dollar bill came from
80 bucks diagonistic charge
70 bucks per coil
and 80 bucks to replace it.

I know I got ripped off.. that's why I am trying to get some of my money back from them.

ok.. done venting
Did you pay with credit card? Dispute it Maybe they'll get the hint. Even if you end up paying for all of it, they'll get their money later than they want. Be a thorn in their side. Be relentless in your pursuit of your rights as a consumer. And make sure to go the dealership and voice your opinion in a manner in which potential customers can hear you. Don't scream and call names ans such, but make sure they can hear you. Very effective tactic.
Old 03-11-2003, 09:49 PM

well, you can take alittle comfort in knowing that they are different coils.. its not like you are having to spend money on more crappy ones. There havent been any failures of the revised ones that I know of.

If you will have the car another 30K+ miles, you wont have $80+$80 plus the coil +$70 every time one of the other 5 drops out.

When Nissan did mine, they did all 6. I know if they thought they could save any money by just doing one, thats all they would do. So they must also think it saves them labor in the long run to do all 6.
Old 03-11-2003, 10:45 PM

Originally posted by TimW
well, you can take alittle comfort in knowing that they are different coils.. its not like you are having to spend money on more crappy ones. There havent been any failures of the revised ones that I know of.

If you will have the car another 30K+ miles, you wont be have $80+$80 plus the coil +$ 70 every time one of the other 5 drops out.

When Nissan did mine, they did all 6. I know if they thought they could save any money by just doing one, thats all they would do. So they must also think it saves them labor in the long run to do all 6.
Thanks Tim for the comforting words... what's what I figure that I am planning on keeping the car for awhile.. so better replace it all. But it never hurt to try to get at least some of my money back from the dealer.. the way I look at it... if I got some money back.. great.. if not.. oh well.. just spend the money to keep my car healthy.
Old 03-12-2003, 04:42 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Just received the 0201 ignition error code about a week ago. Car has 61,000 miles. They replaced all the coils with different ones. The only good thing was that the repair was covered by my extended warranty with a $50 deductible. The couldn't tell me which one was the problem; they just replaced all of them. Seems like the coil problem that plagues the 4th Gen is also a problem on the 5th Gen Maximas.
Old 03-12-2003, 05:07 AM

From the posts I've seen here and in other threads, it appears that Nissan service departments recommend replacing all 6 coils when the customer is paying, and only replace the bad one when it's being covered under warranty. How nice. Well, as much as I love my car, this is the last Nissan I'll ever own.

The ironic thing is that Infinity's service departments have a stellar reputation. My cousin has owned Infiniti's since the G20 was introduced, and he's astounded by the treatment Nissan owners get from essentially the same company.
Old 03-12-2003, 07:05 AM

yeah.. wishing there is a infiniti dealer around me.. I live in MI.. so that basically rule out having more then 1 Japanese car dealer per area per manufacture. Service manager havn't call me yet.. still waiting Nissan. Like you MoCoMax... this is likely the last nissan that we will own. Unless they can give me a kick *** deal on FX45, 350Z or the G35 coupe...
Old 03-12-2003, 07:20 AM
OT n00bs FTMFCSL

yeah.. wishing there is a infiniti dealer around me.. I live in MI.. so that basically rule out having more then 1 Japanese car dealer per area per manufacture. Service manager havn't call me yet.. still waiting Nissan. Like you MoCoMax... this is likely the last nissan that we will own. Unless they can give me a kick *** deal on FX45, 350Z or the G35 coupe...
Infiniti and Nissan are night and day in the way they treat their customers. Infiniti will get it right.
Old 03-12-2003, 09:24 AM

news update...
Nissan NA just called me this morning
the lady I spoke to yesterday says that she feel bad that I was treated this way at the dealer, and thought it shouldn't happen this soon. So she offer to pay for the repair.. all I needed to do was fax her the Work Order, Method of payment and Vehicle Registration

can't believe Nissan NA actually came through for me.
The dealer I went to still have yet to call me back...

you bet I will file an compalint with Nissan NA about the dealer, and also give bad remark when that survey come.

this just made my day!
Old 03-12-2003, 09:28 AM

news update...
Nissan NA just called me this morning
the lady I spoke to yesterday says that she feel bad that I was treated this way at the dealer, and thought it shouldn't happen this soon. So she offer to pay for the repair.. all I needed to do was fax her the Work Order, Method of payment and Vehicle Registration

can't believe Nissan NA actually came through for me.
The dealer I went to still have yet to call me back...

you bet I will file an compalint with Nissan NA about the dealer, and also give bad remark when that survey come.

this just made my day!

Congratulations! Sometimes being persistent pays off. Can you tell us who you got in touch with at Nissan NA?
Old 03-12-2003, 09:34 AM

Congratulations! Sometimes being persistent pays off. Can you tell us who you got in touch with at Nissan NA?
the lady I talked to was Jamie (didn't catch her last night)
extendtion 8415. and guess what? she doesn't drive a Nissan.. which I thought was pretty funny.. Now.. ppl dont' start calling her up and ask her to pay for the repair... I am grateful that she did offer that though.. but she is a very nice lady, well spoken.
Old 03-12-2003, 02:05 PM

Wow thats great. I am glad it all worked out for you
Old 03-13-2003, 07:53 PM

What are the symptoms?

I've read the threads and except for throwing a code, no one really mentions what the problem is. What are the symptoms of failure? I have a 2K2 and had a coil go completely dead at 150 miles! They fixed that, no problem. But now I have a certain harshness and vibration in the gas pedal from 1800-2200 RPM in all gears only under load. If you pop it in neutral and run the engine at that RPM it's OK. Someone in the Org said it might be coils.

Thanks,
Old 03-13-2003, 07:59 PM

Re: What are the symptoms?

Originally posted by Net Doctor
I've read the threads and except for throwing a code, no one really mentions what the problem is. What are the symptoms of failure? I have a 2K2 and had a coil go completely dead at 150 miles! They fixed that, no problem. But now I have a certain harshness and vibration in the gas pedal from 1800-2200 RPM in all gears only under load. If you pop it in neutral and run the engine at that RPM it's OK. Someone in the Org said it might be coils.

Thanks,

That 'harshness' you feel is probably the car running on 5 cylinders (also known as a 'miss'). That's exactly what happened to me, and if I accelerated harder, the SEL would blink up a storm, then go out.
Old 03-13-2003, 08:26 PM

Well it doesn't throw a code no matter how hard I push it. When the first coil went at 150 miles it was really obvious. Missing like a bit*h. This is much more subtle. Besides going totally non-functional, could it be that other failure symptoms are they only fire at half power or once every other pulse or something like that? Like I said, there's plenty of power.
Old 03-13-2003, 09:00 PM

Could someone please please send me the tsb td3005@lycos.com . I took the car to the dealer today and he said he couldn't do squat since there was no code and the car wasn't exhibiting a symptom at that time. Well i've olny had problems when its been raining for a while and it was hot and clear today. The deler freely adminted to there being a TSB. Grrr I am so frustrated.

Please !
Old 03-14-2003, 07:16 AM

Originally posted by td3005
Could someone please please send me the tsb td3005@lycos.com . I took the car to the dealer today and he said he couldn't do squat since there was no code and the car wasn't exhibiting a symptom at that time. Well i've olny had problems when its been raining for a while and it was hot and clear today. The deler freely adminted to there being a TSB. Grrr I am so frustrated.

Please !

You've got mail.
Old 03-14-2003, 03:12 PM

Re: ignition coil warranty. HELP!

My SES light also went on. The car had 45K, so no warranty. Dublin Nissan charged me $300 to replace a single coil. My car won't be going back there again. They also told me last month that my front brake pads were shot. I took it somewhere else and they said the pads still had 50% life on them . Typical Nissan service.
Who has the link to where we can purchase 6 for about $140? (I'd use search but it no longer works)
Old 03-14-2003, 03:19 PM

Re: Re: ignition coil warranty. HELP!

Originally posted by cabernet
My SES light also went on. The car had 45K, so no warranty. Dublin Nissan charged me $300 to replace a single coil. My car won't be going back there again. They also told me last month that my front brake pads were shot. I took it somewhere else and they said the pads still had 50% life on them . Typical Nissan service.
Who has the link to where we can purchase 6 for about $140? (I'd use search but it no longer works)
Call Dave Burnette at Southpoint Nissan: 888-254-6060
Old 03-14-2003, 07:23 PM

You've got mail.
Thanks !!!

Can you relly get them for 140 ?
Old 03-14-2003, 07:34 PM

Thanks !!!

I am not sure if you can get them for 140, since my dealer charged me like 68 bucks for one.. but you can definitly get it cheaper from Dave. Give him a call.
Old 03-14-2003, 07:36 PM

You've got mail.
Thanks !!!

Old 03-14-2003, 07:44 PM
Got Bent?

Thanks !!!

Last time I checked, it was more like $240 for the set from Dave Burnette.... $40 a piece.

Quick Reply: ignition coil warranty. HELP!