5th Generation Maxima (2000-2003) Learn more about the 5th Generation Maxima, including the VQ30DE-K and VQ35DE engines.

Brake pad question

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2003, 03:31 PM

Brake pad question

Hey Guys:

My Axxis brake pads have worn out and I'm looking for a replacement pad.
Should I just stick with the Axxis pads or is something better I can use?
Someone suggested I look into getting ceramic brake pads.

Any suggestions?
Old 03-14-2003, 10:24 AM
Donating Maxima.org Member

Re: Brake pad question

Originally posted by GXE Spoiler
Hey Guys:

My Axxis brake pads have worn out and I'm looking for a replacement pad.
Should I just stick with the Axxis pads or is something better I can use?
Someone suggested I look into getting ceramic brake pads.

Any suggestions?
As of now I dont know of anything better than axis metal masters.

You do have matal masters right?

How long did it take untill they worn out?
Old 03-14-2003, 10:56 AM

My $.02

Ceramic pads are really intended for racing conditions. You need to heat them up to a certain point before they will work. Normal driving doesn't involve this and you could easily find yourself being unable to stop.

You didn't say why you switched in the first place, nor why you are considering switching again. Did you feel like the Axxis pads didn't stop well or dusted too much or wore out too fast. I have Hawk HP Plus pads and I've been pretty happy. They dust a lot compared to the factor Nissan pads but it feels like I'm stopping faster (I never did a comparison test to validate this). Hope this helps.
Old 03-14-2003, 11:36 AM
Supporting Maxima.org Member

Re: My $.02

Originally posted by ajahearn
Ceramic pads are really intended for racing conditions. You need to heat them up to a certain point before they will work. Normal driving doesn't involve this and you could easily find yourself being unable to stop.
That's quite a statement, ajahearn, particularly given the fact that Raybestos Quiet Stop pads are real favorites around here. And they're ceramic pads.

Just for laughs and giggles, can you find anyone who will confirm your assertion that Quiet Stop pads don't work until they're heated up? Alternatively, can you point to an article or articles that supports your claim?

Also, has anyone who actually uses Raybestos Quiet Stop pads ever had a problem with them in terms of braking performance?
Old 03-14-2003, 12:12 PM

Re: Re: My $.02

Originally posted by y2kse

Also, has anyone who actually uses Raybestos Quiet Stop pads ever had a problem with them in terms of braking performance?
I put the Quiet Stops on my wife's car (not a maxima) about a month and a half ago, and there's been 0 issues with braking.. they work great.
Old 03-14-2003, 12:39 PM

Re: Re: Re: My $.02

Originally posted by ducky

I put the Quiet Stops on my wife's car (not a maxima) about a month and a half ago, and there's been 0 issues with braking.. they work great.
Thanks, ducky. I've never heard a single derogatory comment about the performance of Quiet Stops. So unless ajahearn can back up his statement, I think it's safe to simply disregard it . . . at least as it applies to Quiet Stops.
Old 03-14-2003, 01:10 PM
lcf

I'm up for new brake pads pretty soon. I'll have to give these Quiet Stops a try and see if they really are quiet.
Old 03-14-2003, 02:18 PM

I use Endless brake pads myself. They're expensive but make the metal masters feel worse than stock in comparison.
Old 03-14-2003, 10:38 PM

From what I gathered so far, some people say that ceramic pads are better for track racing conditions and that they wear down your rotors much faster than Axxis Metal Masters or other semi-metallic pads.

I am happy with the Metal Masters performance wise and I'm okay with the wear on them, probably got 25,000 miles out of them. Actually, when it comes to brake dust, I think the Axxis pads are pretty good, they're nothing like the OEM pads. As for going ceramic, I don't think it is for me. Originally I spend $$$ to upgrade my rotors to Xdrills, so I don't get that annoying OEM rotor warp when braking from 80+. ...and I don't want to replace them anytime soon.

Quiet Stops? Are they really quiet?

Endless Pads? I have never heard about them before. How do they rate performance-wise? How is the wear rate?
Old 03-15-2003, 04:37 AM

From what I gathered so far, some people say that ceramic pads are better for track racing conditions and that they wear down your rotors much faster than Axxis Metal Masters or other semi-metallic pads.

I am happy with the Metal Masters performance wise and I'm okay with the wear on them, probably got 25,000 miles out of them. Actually, when it comes to brake dust, I think the Axxis pads are pretty good, they're nothing like the OEM pads. As for going ceramic, I don't think it is for me. Originally I spend $$$ to upgrade my rotors to Xdrills, so I don't get that annoying OEM rotor warp when braking from 80+. ...and I don't want to replace them anytime soon.

Quiet Stops? Are they really quiet?

Endless Pads? I have never heard about them before. How do they rate performance-wise? How is the wear rate?
Different strokes for different folks, GXE Spoiler.

I can't answer your question about how quiet Quiet Stop pads are. I've never installed them. But in checking the threads, I've never heard a single complaint about them. On the contrary, they appear to be quieter than Axxis Metal Masters or other semi-metallic pads.

You indicated that you spent $$$ to purchase cross-drilled rotors . . . . Stillen rotors to be precise. Of that I have no doubt. In actuality, however, what you bought were inexpensive Brembo blanks with very expensive holes drilled in them. The holes won't prevent the rotors from warping. They also increase susceptibility to cracking and they eat up your brake pads prematurely. So as far as running cross-drilled rotors are concerned, they're not for me.
Old 03-15-2003, 05:08 AM

They are japanese pads. Used a lot for competition in Japan but they have street and and street/track compounds available. If you're looking at cheap metal masters though, you'll pass out when you see what a set of my CC-X pads cost. They are Ceramic metal pads and are their top of the line street/track pad. No warm up time in the summer, barely in the winter, virtually no noise and incredible high heat resistance. Very good feel and wear very well actually. Dust about same as stock too. Only downside is the price. I don't use anything else personally though.
Old 03-15-2003, 05:11 AM

Originally posted by Guru

They are japanese pads. Used a lot for competition in Japan but they have street and and street/track compounds available. If you're looking at cheap metal masters though, you'll pass out when you see what a set of my CC-X pads cost. They are Ceramic metal pads and are their top of the line street/track pad. No warm up time in the summer, barely in the winter, virtually no noise and incredible high heat resistance. Very good feel and wear very well actually. Dust about same as stock too. Only downside is the price. I don't use anything else personally though.
Where did you purchase your Endless pads, Guru? And what did you pay for them?
Old 03-15-2003, 07:23 AM

I sell them but I tried many pads before Endless seeing what I was going to carry for brake pads. In the end it was no contest. I don't sell as many Endless pad but those folks are very happy which is the important thing.
Old 03-15-2003, 08:31 AM

Re: Re: My $.02

Just for laughs and giggles, can you find anyone who will confirm your assertion that Quiet Stop pads don't work until they're heated up? Alternatively, can you point to an article or articles that supports your claim?
This was my understanding. Sorry, if I misstated something. I'll be more than happy to take my $.02 back.
Old 03-15-2003, 09:30 AM

Re: Re: Re: My $.02

Originally posted by ajahearn

This was my understanding. Sorry, if I misstated something. I'll be more than happy to take my $.02 back.
Thanks for your retraction, ajahearn.

There's a tendency on the part of some people to substitute their opinions for facts. Even when they're directly confronted with the facts, some of them will insist that they know more than the combined wisdom and experience of this forum. Their positions range from the laughable to the libelous.

I'm glad you aren't one of those people.
Old 03-15-2003, 12:29 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: My $.02

yeah except u dont have to make a fuss about it and start flaming him
even if he admitted he was wrong, u shold neva have gotten on his back like that
but ur right about those ceramic pads...they are good

Thanks for your retraction, ajahearn.

There's a tendency on the part of some people to substitute their opinions for facts. Even when they're directly confronted with the facts, some of them will insist that they know more than the combined wisdom and experience of this forum. Their positions range from the laughable to the libelous.

I'm glad you aren't one of those people.
Old 03-15-2003, 12:32 PM

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: My $.02

Originally posted by max...to the ma
yeah except u dont have to make a fuss about it and start flaming him
even if he admitted he was wrong, u shold neva have gotten on his back like that
No comment.